Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

So much mug debate! I like them both, but not enough to buy either one (although the old one I could probably only get on Ebay anyway). But I also dont really use mugs like that.

Anyway...
After starting off slow, Guava is now ahead 6-4. Only a few hours left to vote!

And because I'm me and I need to manufacture drama wherever I go...
It's been over a week since I paid for marathon weekend, and I haven't heard from my travel agent. I thought I was supposed to get hotel reservation details, but nothing yet. I'm trying to hold off a few days before I start really panicking (I dont know how long these things usually take) ... but I'm kinda worried that because I made the reservation 5 seconds after the runDisney delay announcement I somehow got lost in the shuffle.
Ugh ... I think waiting for communication is probably the big downside of booking through a TA.

Update: Called my travel agent. He's at Epcot (I kinda forgot that they'd be busy with Dark Side). He'll get the info to me soon.

Update to the Update: Reservation is now in my MDE. It's getting real!!

Last edited:

And the winner is ...

I haven't had time to think about the significance, but I do like the number.

Also, I ran 2.5 miles with my friend Tzippy, and we're not friends anymore. She didnt listen when I said slow. Also, she tried on several shoes in 3 different sizes ... I suddenly feel not picky about my shoes.

Oh, you want to know about my shoes? They didnt have the ones I wanted in stock in my size, so they're ordering me a 7.5 in Guava.
All the discussion turned out to be moot, because they didnt have the Blue Iris in store.
I almost had to get black - I'm between sizes, and if I had sized up (which is what I tried at first, but they didnt have the test run shoes in the bigger size), they only had it in black.

I'm late to the votes as usual, but mine was Guava too so YAY!

giphy_s.gif

Just gonna drop this here:
scream.jpg

Also ... I'm kinda stuck on what Sunday should be. After something that happened yesterday (nothing bad, and I will talk about it eventually, if I remember), what was originally going to be a low-key race has suddenly become a possible major turning point in my training. I'm trying to remind myself to keep it low key (I'm fairly certain that if I do well, the new paces I get will terrify me), but I have this voice in the back of my head saying "don't you want to see what will happen if you really go for it?"
But ... what if I go for it and I fail. What if I crap out on one of the hills and have to walk or end up having to run at EC for most of the race or end up feeling like I set a pace that I can't maintain ... I know that if I aim high and something goes wrong I'm going to be really upset about it. But I don't know how to convince that voice in the back of my head that I need to take this race easy.

I'm so glad you bought the picture : )

Here's my take on going out for a big goal: If you try for it and fail, yeah, you'll be disappointed. But you'll learn something, and you'll have specific, concrete areas that you want to target ahead of trying again. You'll have gained a new set of data about your current capabilities, both physical and mental. I think those reality checks, humbling as they may be, are important to our development as runners and as people.

And who knows, you might surprise yourself to the upside and DOMINATE, which I bet is a real possibility. I hear you on being terrified of new paces. Every time I hit a new PR I immediately remember that it means new paces and I'm daunted. But my body adapts, and yours will, too... you know that, even if your brain sometimes doesn't (want to) acknowledge it.

No matter what you do, this isn't your last race. It isn't even your last race for a while. You've got a lot on the books this year. So if you race it and don't do as well as you want, you've got that data and you can try again soon. If you don't race it hard because you don't feel ready quite yet, you'll have other chances where hopefully you feel more ready soon. Either way, I hope you can enjoy the one in front of you, and as always, I'm looking forward to reading about it.

My two cents: I went through this same struggle last fall on our half that I wanted to PR. When I really evaluated though, what did I really have to lose from going for it? I mean, I had a good PoT to use for Disney and this was a great course to attempt a PR. The biggest thing was that VOICE that said, "what if you fail?" But, ultimately, I answered that question and the answer was..."so what if I fail?" I mean, seriously, what happens? I'm pooped and have to slow down in the last few miles? I'm disappointed for a brief time? OK. So what? BUT, what if I DON'T fail? It's a classic risk/benefit question and for me, the benefits far outweighed the risk. And, a shiny new PR for me. It was a very freeing experience as well to just go for it. So, I say, obviously ;) GO FOR IT!!!

I saw this video for the first time a while back and I ADORE it!

Last edited:
To echo what others are saying... you have to go for it!!

What do you have to lose? I think you'll be far more disappointed wondering "what if I went for it" after not trying than if you go for it and it doesn't go as you hoped! And as far as the scary paces... "If your goals don't scare you, they aren't big enough!"

Thank you everyone for the thoughts, encouragement, and advice. I've read everyone's comments at least twice, and I'm sure I will read them all several more times between now and the race.

Just to give you a little bit of insight into why I'm not feeling like I can just go for it...
Have any of you been a place where you felt like one more thing going wrong could completely break you?
I'm hoping the answer is no, because I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but if you do ... that's kind of where my head is right now. I'm honestly not 100% sure why now, but I'm just in a very bad place. Until I know what's happening and why, I dont want to add more to it.

Right now I'm having a cup of tea, and we'll see where things go from there.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts, encouragement, and advice. I've read everyone's comments at least twice, and I'm sure I will read them all several more times between now and the race.

Just to give you a little bit of insight into why I'm not feeling like I can just go for it...
Have any of you been a place where you felt like one more thing going wrong could completely break you?
I'm hoping the answer is no, because I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but if you do ... that's kind of where my head is right now. I'm honestly not 100% sure why now, but I'm just in a very bad place. Until I know what's happening and why, I dont want to add more to it.

I don't know any adult that hasn't been there. You're certainly not alone. I'm sorry you're feeling this way. The awful headspace can make you truly appreciate your great days. I hope you can turn things around soon! :flower3:

Been there, too, and sorry to hear that you're feeling that way. Remember, if you choose not to go all out, you've got more races. Also, remember this: You don't have to decide this second. You can make a game time decision. See how you feel when you toe the the line.

Been there, too, and sorry to hear that you're feeling that way. Remember, if you choose not to go all out, you've got more races. Also, remember this: You don't have to decide this second. You can make a game time decision. See how you feel when you toe the the line.

Well said. Definitely don't put added pressure on yourself. See how the day goes. Also hoping you feel much better about things soon!!

I’ve been there more times than I have wanted to be. Wait until you get to the race before making any decisions on how to run it.

Good news ... apparently tea, fresh air, and a little perspective is exactly what I needed.

Still not sure what my approach is for Sunday, but I have plenty of time to figure that out.

Also ... I know not everyone agrees with their politics and their opinions, but you gotta admit ... these high school kids who are involved in the walkouts and protests are something special. Yes, I know there are a lot of adults helping out behind the scenes. But in front of the cameras, it's the kids. I dont think I could have spoken that passionately about anything at that age. Even if someone wrote the speech for me.
These kids will change the future.

Good news ... apparently tea, fresh air, and a little perspective is exactly what I needed.

In light of this statement ... I am currently drinking a nice cup of Earl Gray to make sure I'm good and calm before tomorrow's race.

New goal is 38:00 - 48:00. Right now I'm thinking I'll go all-out, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow morning. But whatever happens, I should end up inside that range.
(Yes, I know, that 38 is pretty shocking to those of you who are used to my normal 10-something tempo paces. It was a number that popped into my head, and is the reason why I was such a mess yesterday)

Almost bedtime. I should probably pack my bag check bag, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!