Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I'm one who wondered why Disney was getting involved with the Avatar franchise. I knew they could do something amazing with it, but wasn't sure it would hold a lot of appeal to the average park guest. I still feel the same way today. Flight of Passage is spectacular. I think Pandora looks great. But I still think the area is impacted by the general public not really knowing and/or caring about Avatar. I figure some day I'll ride River Journey. But I'm not about to give up a FP+ for Flight of Passage in order to get a shorter line for River Journey. I'll just skip it until the line makes sense.

Yeah, I get that. I'm sure it's great, but since I don't care at all about Avatar (and never had any interest in seeing the movie), I don't care if I visit the land and/or ride the attractions. If I can get a FP+, I'll try it. If not ... I don't care.

I figure some day I'll ride River Journey. But I'm not about to give up a FP+ for Flight of Passage in order to get a shorter line for River Journey. I'll just skip it until the line makes sense.
I have no desire to ride FoP because it's just not for me (as in I don't care). But my mom really wanted to when we went to WDW last November. I was in charge of everything planning, while she was getting the rooms and stuff. Her only ride request was FoP and I missed out FP opening window because I was a n00b and didn't know when it was. Anyway, long story short, I did get us a FP for the Na'vi River Journey instead, which made mom kind of happy. But we only had to wait in line like 15 on the FP and the girls who got in the boat with us said they waited over an hour and they hoped it was worth it. Spoiler alert: it was not worth it. I would have been pissed if I waited that long for that ride. But to each their own and whatever floats your boat. I am not an AK fan and would rather spend my days elsewhere.

I also feel like the battery dies wayyyyy too fast. Faster than advertised for sure. It's pretty annoying and hopefully we can figure out why. @Keels can you help us?! Haha.

Yeah, if factory reset doesn't work, @Keels was going to be my next resource. She's got more experience with this thing than we do.

Yeah ... mine lasted WAY longer than 7 hours during Marathon this year - I didn't charge it after the race and it was good for the next couple of days.

So. Some things I do - Brightness is ALWAYS at 10 percent. That saves battery. If I'm wearing it at night when I'm asleep, I always make sure to hit DND AND I lock my watch screen. That saves battery, but still tracks whatever nighttime data you'd like it to track. Also, it keeps your screen dark - I was waking myself up way too much when my watch would be in front of my face and illuminated and that's really annoying. Other times I lock my watch screen: in the pool (casual pool, not workout pool), taking a shower (yes, sometimes I wear my watch in the shower), on the treadmill/elliptical/spin bike where I can use my phone for alerts, etc.

I use GPS only instead of GPS + GLONASS. That way, it's only using GPS time when I start an Activity. Sometimes, I'll turn GLONASS on if (like this week) I need my watch to breadcrumb me back to my hotel after a night out, or help me find my car in a crowded parking lot at Disney. But other than that, the instances are REAL rare. I don't need GPS except for workouts.

I also have trimmed down my data screens - it still records the data, but I don't need to see Stairs, Active/Intensity Minutes, My Day, etc. on my watch. My only watch Widgets are HR, Stress, Alerts, Weather and Music Control.

I also use a watch face that doesn't show seconds as part of the time, so it doesn't update as frequently.

Also, check your settings on how often data is being sent to Garmin Connect. Mine is only done manually via the mobile app. Data transfer via Bluetooth is what kills the battery the fastest with these watches.

Anyway. Just my dos pesos.

Yeah ... mine lasted WAY longer than 7 hours during Marathon this year - I didn't charge it after the race and it was good for the next couple of days.

So. Some things I do - Brightness is ALWAYS at 10 percent. That saves battery. If I'm wearing it at night when I'm asleep, I always make sure to hit DND AND I lock my watch screen. That saves battery, but still tracks whatever nighttime data you'd like it to track. Also, it keeps your screen dark - I was waking myself up way too much when my watch would be in front of my face and illuminated and that's really annoying. Other times I lock my watch screen: in the pool (casual pool, not workout pool), taking a shower (yes, sometimes I wear my watch in the shower), on the treadmill/elliptical/spin bike where I can use my phone for alerts, etc.

I use GPS only instead of GPS + GLONASS. That way, it's only using GPS time when I start an Activity. Sometimes, I'll turn GLONASS on if (like this week) I need my watch to breadcrumb me back to my hotel after a night out, or help me find my car in a crowded parking lot at Disney. But other than that, the instances are REAL rare. I don't need GPS except for workouts.

I also have trimmed down my data screens - it still records the data, but I don't need to see Stairs, Active/Intensity Minutes, My Day, etc. on my watch. My only watch Widgets are HR, Stress, Alerts, Weather and Music Control.

I also use a watch face that doesn't show seconds as part of the time, so it doesn't update as frequently.

Also, check your settings on how often data is being sent to Garmin Connect. Mine is only done manually via the mobile app. Data transfer via Bluetooth is what kills the battery the fastest with these watches.

@Keels to the rescue! (As usual :))
Lots of good stuff there, thanks. Looks like I need to spend some time tinkering with the settings. Especially the one about how often data is being sent to Garmin Connect ... I'm cool with it only syncing when I tell it to. Just gotta figure out where that setting it ... to the instruction manual I go! (It's actually kinda weird that I haven't read that thing cover to cover yet, because I love instruction manuals)

Those are the exact pesos that I needed. Gracias.

I really need to start leaving workout clothes at work ...

Still haven't done this.

Also ... I'm being a terrible human being again and I should stop except that I dont know how to not be a terrible human being.
I apologize in advance for marathon weekend when soem of you guys meet me and I'm not at all what you expect. Hopefully we can sit down for a cup of coffee and everyone will move on.

Still haven't done this.

Also ... I'm being a terrible human being again and I should stop except that I dont know how to not be a terrible human being.
I apologize in advance for marathon weekend when soem of you guys meet me and I'm not at all what you expect. Hopefully we can sit down for a cup of coffee and everyone will move on.
I highly doubt any of this is true.

I highly doubt any of this is true.

January's going to be interesting.
Pretty much 99% of the time people who know me not in person who then meet me in person say that I'm not at all like they expected.
The other 1% are probably too nice to say something.
It's just one of those things, I guess.

January's going to be interesting.
Pretty much 99% of the time people who know me not in person who then meet me in person say that I'm not at all like they expected.
The other 1% are probably too nice to say something.
It's just one of those things, I guess.
I really think that is just the internet for you. I am sure y'all will say think the about me.

Guys, remind/nag me tomorrow afternoon to post the recap of day 3 of the trip. It's in progress right now, but I want to clean my bathroom and then I'm going to sleep, so it will have to wait. But I want to make sure to get it up tomorrow. So nag me.

Still haven't done this.

Can I get a sprite instead of a cup of coffee?? As long as that is allowed, I'll be perfectly content. In all seriousness though, I am extremely shy and introverted and feel the same exact way. At Marathon Weekend this year I am pretty sure I saw the DIS meetup area, but I was way too nervous and shy to see if the group of people I saw were in fact people from these boards. I am going to try my hardest not to let that happen in 2019!

I have been known to carry a ziplock of pizza slices in my jean jacket pocket......

I mean you never know when you will need pizza!!

step-brothers-on-twitter-quotquoti-wanna-make-bank-bro-i-wanna-get-618218.jpg

Can I get a sprite instead of a cup of coffee?? As long as that is allowed, I'll be perfectly content. In all seriousness though, I am extremely shy and introverted and feel the same exact way. At Marathon Weekend this year I am pretty sure I saw the DIS meetup area, but I was way too nervous and shy to see if the group of people I saw were in fact people from these boards. I am going to try my hardest not to let that happen in 2019!

You can do Sprite. I'm cool with that.
Fun note: If it seemed like you were not going to register for the marathon, I was prepared to offer a cold Sprite at the finish line as an incentive (although since I plan on taking every minute they'll give me for this race and you're faster than me anyway, I probably won't be at the finish line when you finish). Thankfully, that wasn't necessary. But I will definitely allow Sprite during any potential coffee meetups.
I'm not sure yet if I'm actually going to join any of the meetups pre-race. I keep saying that I want to say hi to everyone before the races, but there's a better than decent chance that I'll chicken out on race day.
Same with DATW. Right now I'm all about it, but there's at least a 75% chance that on DATW morning I'll just end up starting the day doing other things at Epcot and then never making my way over to DATW because I'm terrified and I don't drink that much anyway.

I mean you never know when you will need pizza!!

step-brothers-on-twitter-quotquoti-wanna-make-bank-bro-i-wanna-get-618218.jpg

Fun note: If it seemed like you were not going to register for the marathon, I was prepared to offer a cold Sprite at the finish line as an incentive (although since I plan on taking every minute they'll give me for this race and you're faster than me anyway, I probably won't be at the finish line when you finish). Thankfully, that wasn't necessary. But I will definitely allow Sprite during any potential coffee meetups.
I'm not sure yet if I'm actually going to join any of the meetups pre-race. I keep saying that I want to say hi to everyone before the races, but there's a better than decent chance that I'll chicken out on race day.
Same with DATW. Right now I'm all about it, but there's at least a 75% chance that on DATW morning I'll just end up starting the day doing other things at Epcot and then never making my way over to DATW because I'm terrified and I don't drink that much anyway.

Here is a fun fact from last year's Dopey trip: I am super shy and introverted too but we went to all the pre-race meet ups. And we all stood in a circle making awkward conversation, lol. It is hard meeting new people but it was funny because I think everyone felt the same way and we all just kinda smiled awkwardly at each other.

At the HHH meet up, the alcohol helped I think, lol. Keels, John and Cliff are all outgoing and made sure everyone talked to each other. :)

I think talking to people via the internet can be hard. Can be hard to convey tone and have people understand when you are trying to be funny. I have definitely said the wrong thing a time or two. And I completely get the awkward meeting new people thing. I am really extroverted. Peter and I attended Alumni events in Boston for our graduate school and he always makes sure he is near me as I will talk to anyone and he can then glide into the conversation when he is more comfortable.

OMG I would have done it! I really wish they would give me an endorsement deal. LOL.

I am exactly the same way. Although this time I partially signed up just to meet some of the amazing people on these boards, so I am going to force myself to attend the pre-race meetup. DATW probably won't happen for me because we will be driving back that afternoon and I am sure my mom will want to spend the morning at MK.

Here is a fun fact from last year's Dopey trip: I am super shy and introverted too but we went to all the pre-race meet ups. And we all stood in a circle making awkward conversation, lol. It is hard meeting new people but it was funny because I think everyone felt the same way and we all just kinda smiled awkwardly at each other.

At the HHH meet up, the alcohol helped I think, lol. Keels, John and Cliff are all outgoing and made sure everyone talked to each other. :)

LOL! Well that makes me feel better, but now I am wishing I had walked over even more. I am very talented when it comes to the awkward smile.

Well it's good to know that everyone is awkward at these things.
But I think everyone is underestimating my ability to sit in a corner and cry when there are fun things going on around me.

I think talking to people via the internet can be hard. Can be hard to convey tone and have people understand when you are trying to be funny. I have definitely said the wrong thing a time or two. And I completely get the awkward meeting new people thing. I am really extroverted. Peter and I attended Alumni events in Boston for our graduate school and he always makes sure he is near me as I will talk to anyone and he can then glide into the conversation when he is more comfortable.

My sister is kind of like that - she'll talk to almost anyone and occasionally I can insert myself into the conversation.

OMG I would have done it! I really wish they would give me an endorsement deal. LOL.

Does Sprite endorse runners? You should probably check that out. You'd be a great professional athlete for Sprite.

I am exactly the same way. Although this time I partially signed up just to meet some of the amazing people on these boards, so I am going to force myself to attend the pre-race meetup. DATW probably won't happen for me because we will be driving back that afternoon and I am sure my mom will want to spend the morning at MK.

If I see you, I'll probably wave super awkwardly. But you should say hi to people. And convince your mom that you should do DATW in the morning (just maybe not so much alcohol for whichever one of you is driving).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter