Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I actually came in here to say that I really want to go get a PSL after work, but I'll join in the #RunningGearEnablingChat.

Ooh... did you go? How was?

#DISenabler

Because before you know it Marathon Weekend will be among us and I know you don't really care about costumes/race outfits, getting a head start on what to wear will make choosing easier in the long run.

It's funny, because I say that I don't care about race costumes, but then I spend so much time thinking about race outfits. I'm weird. Also ...good thought.

So ... I had a pretty nasty commute today. I left the house early enough to get in at 8:45. Didn't get in until 9:20. There were delays, I didn't switch trains even though I should have, and then there was the train that just sat in the station ... at that point I switched trains. I'm trying not to let it get to me, but it's hard. I took 5 trains today. I was planning on taking 2.
Anyway... some non-subway thoughts:

1 - I didn't get the shirt. If I have to think about it this much, then I don't really want it. At least not right now. Maybe I'll regret it in a few months. Or maybe I'll find a much cheaper red short sleeve shirt that has a neckline I'd like a little better that I can wear under my long-sleeve black old navy shirt (which has an open-ish back) and it'll be a more perfect outfit idea. Or maybe I'll just wear something I already have. But this is the decision I made, and right now I'm okay with it.

2 - Yesterday I got two emails about substitute instructors for barre3 classes. Both were classes where I was scheduled to take my favorite instructor. For one class the substitute is someone I've never taken before, and for the other the substitute is the studio owner (who I am also taking a week from Monday ... so it'll actually end up being two classes in a row with him). It's not a big deal, since I have yet to have a bad instructor there, but ... I'm gonna miss having my favorite instructor (I do have her for my second class next week, but she's now on my schedule once instead of the 3 times she was on my schedule before the changes).

3 - (I probably completely undid this with the chocolate at work this morning, but...) For the first time in a while the scale showed a number that was lower than yesterday. Yay me! I'm trying to find a way to incentivize myself to continue this downward trend. I was thinking either a reward when I get to a certain number of days with downward trend or I accumulate points and can "redeem" those points for things. I just have to decide on how I want to do it and what the rewards will be. (Please don't suggest Starbucks. I think I made the decision yesterday that I will be going back to Starbucks again eventually, but it will be for plain, unflavored coffee only. I don't trust them not to change the flavoring ingredients. And let's leave it at that.)

4 - So ... race week is fast approaching. Currently I'm scheduled for rest days Monday and Tuesday, 3 easy miles Wednesday, barre3 Thursday, 3 easy miles Friday, rest day Saturday, and race day Sunday. But running on Fridays is super hard (I have to do it next week ... I'll have to get up at 4ish and treadmill). So I was thinking of maybe instead doing barre3 on Wednesday and 4 easy miles on Thursday. Yes, that cuts 2 easy miles (and one run) out of the week, but it's also a lot less pressure on Friday. The other option is working from home that Friday (if my scrum master is okay with it, which I'd imagine she will be), which saves me 2 hours of commuting time and means I can get up at normal run time (5ish), run, work from home 9-5, and not be super stressed. I just would have to find a way to not get distracted when there's stuff going on (including my dad being home) during the day, which is actually really hard. Whatever. I have a few weeks to think about what I want to do. I signed up for the 6:30pm Wednesday barre3 class just in case I decide to go that route (the 6:30 classes fill up quickly and as long as I cancel more than 4 hours in advance I don't get charged, so if I'm deciding between two classes, I'll usually sign up for both and just cancel whichever one I end up not doing).

5 - Sunday's run is a big one. 10 miler. 7 miles continuous. Eep! Here are some reminders to myself before the run:
  • There is no such thing as a make or break training run. And even if there was ... this wouldn't be it. It's been a busy, stressful week. I'm not functioning at 100%. I'm not expecting this run to be anywhere near perfect. I had a great run two weeks ago. If I have another great run, awesome. If not ... it happens sometimes. I just have to focus on the good runs.
  • Continuous running means the absence of walk intervals. It does not mean that I can't take the occasional break to catch my breathe or walk for a minute while I eat some jelly beans. Just because I may stop a few times doesn't mean I'm not running continuously. It just means I'm not a machine. I know that on race day I'll likely take fewer of those breaks.

Anyway ... happy Friday, y'all. It's after 1pm and I'm at work for the next 4 hours or so. Post-summer fridays suck.

But this is the decision I made, and right now I'm okay with it.
Being at peace over a decision to not get something that you wanted is a wonderful thing. It helps you realize that you're just fine without the item in question. For me recently this has applied to NFL jerseys (Steve Young 49ers throwback) and a baseball game I wanted to attend.

There is no such thing as a make or break training run. And even if there was ... this wouldn't be it. It's been a busy, stressful week. I'm not functioning at 100%. I'm not expecting this run to be anywhere near perfect. I had a great run two weeks ago. If I have another great run, awesome. If not ... it happens sometimes. I just have to focus on the good runs.
Your attitude about this is spot on. I think the faster one understands how this works the more at peace one will be as a runner.

I got sick one year near the end of my training cycle. I wound up having to eliminate the last long run and substitute a slightly shorter, but still very long, run instead. Well I wasn't yet recovered for that last run. It was brutally difficult. In hindsight, I should have taken it slower. Yet about two weeks later I ran my then character stop race PR. This taught me a great deal about the benefits of sustained training over an appropriate length of time because I felt completely spent at the end of that last run, but it didn't cost me much if anything in the race itself.

1. I am definitely team if you have to over think a purchase like this you probably can live without it. Solid choice.

2. Boo for substitutes! I don't do a lot of group workouts, but I know the feeling of having a favorite and it sucks when they aren't there.

3. YAY for the scale going down. Always a good feeling. As for the Starbs...... I got my PSL today! YAY!

4. My husband has been working from home for like 7 years now, maybe more? He is PRO at it. It's so impressive. I tried it when I was running my photography business and I am just SO easily distracted. Haha. But not having that 2 hour commute would be a game changer for Fridays I feel.

5. One thing I have told myself this plan, and mostly because the summer heat it just unbearable sometimes, is that it is okay to walk. To take a break. To not have to master drinking water and running at the same time. To just enjoy my sports beans. I feel better on the whole when I do. So do what makes you feel good and that's all that matters.

Being at peace over a decision to not get something that you wanted is a wonderful thing. It helps you realize that you're just fine without the item in question. For me recently this has applied to NFL jerseys (Steve Young 49ers throwback) and a baseball game I wanted to attend.

It's very rare for me to feel at peace with not buying something, but after a few recent impulse buys that I regretted, I think I'm getting there. So I'm definitely glad that I'm at peace over this decision.
Let's not talk about the Yankees headband that I have now decided twice not to get and I have regretted that decision both times. (I actually looked for it when I was at the Staten Island Yankees last week, but they didn't have it :()

Your attitude about this is spot on. I think the faster one understands how this works the more at peace one will be as a runner.

I got sick one year near the end of my training cycle. I wound up having to eliminate the last long run and substitute a slightly shorter, but still very long, run instead. Well I wasn't yet recovered for that last run. It was brutally difficult. In hindsight, I should have taken it slower. Yet about two weeks later I ran my then character stop race PR. This taught me a great deal about the benefits of sustained training over an appropriate length of time because I felt completely spent at the end of that last run, but it didn't cost me much if anything in the race itself.

In the past I have definitely tried to focus more on the overall training than on any one run, but I feel like I've lost that a bit lately. So I think I needed the reminder to focus on how the plan has gone overall and not any one run.
And thank you for sharing that story - it's always good to hear reminders that one rough run can be part of a great overall training cycle.

1. I am definitely team if you have to over think a purchase like this you probably can live without it. Solid choice.

Agreed. Thanks.

2. Boo for substitutes! I don't do a lot of group workouts, but I know the feeling of having a favorite and it sucks when they aren't there.

Yeah. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'm definitely a little sad about it.

3. YAY for the scale going down. Always a good feeling. As for the Starbs...... I got my PSL today! YAY!

Yay PSL!!

4. My husband has been working from home for like 7 years now, maybe more? He is PRO at it. It's so impressive. I tried it when I was running my photography business and I am just SO easily distracted. Haha. But not having that 2 hour commute would be a game changer for Fridays I feel.

I'm with you on this one - I get so easily distracted working from home. Plus, my family always wants my attention. It's rough. But on a Friday the lack of commute would definitely be a game changer, especially because I have to be home earlier on Fridays so I have to leave early. I'm thinking if I decide to WFH that day and it works out, I may end up working from home one Friday a month or so, just to give myself that lack of a commute occasionally. I'll see what happens.

5. One thing I have told myself this plan, and mostly because the summer heat it just unbearable sometimes, is that it is okay to walk. To take a break. To not have to master drinking water and running at the same time. To just enjoy my sports beans. I feel better on the whole when I do. So do what makes you feel good and that's all that matters.

I love this attitude. I had a continuous run on Thursday where I took a few walk breaks because I just felt like I needed a slower pace for a while and it felt so good. Sometimes I lose sight of the fact that there's no point in running if I'm not going to enjoy it, so it's always good to have the reminder.

Just went to lock my Garmin's screen for bedtime and saw that the battery was at 3%. Oops ... I forgot I had to charge it. I guess I'm not sleeping with it on tonight.

ETA:
1 - I almost registered for the 5th Avenue mile. My age group didn't sell out. But the scheduling issue would have been too difficult.
2 - Shoes came. Not really any gold at all, so #RoseGoldEverything doesn't work. A little too pink to be peach, but close. Current name is Blue/Gray Zante, but that might change. Honestly, I'm not as in love with them in person as I was with the picture. But whatever. They're fine.

New Balance Bronx 10 Mile: Training Week 5 Recap
aka Peak Week

It's peak week! Exciting stuff ... hopefully.

Monday - Labor Day
  • Running: None
  • Cross Training: None
    • Wanted to get something in, even if it was just a short online video, but never got around to it. Oh well.
  • Food: Didn't eat terribly, but also didn't eat well. Sigh.
  • Life: Slept in and did nothing all morning and it was GLORIOUS! I forgot how good it feels to just do nothing. Stress level 20. Mostly that high because of American Ninja Warrior. It was a stressful episode.
Tuesday
  • Running: 3.0 mi EC + NYRR Virtual New Balance 5th Avenue Mile - 3.01 miles, 37:13 minutes, 12:22 min/mi avg pace + 1.12 miles, 13:45 minutes, 12:17 min/mi avg pace
    • Overall, this run was good. I wasn't feeling 100% awesome, but that's to be expected with a T+D of 149. Needed a few "stop and refill" breaks. Partway through mile 2 I remembered that I had wanted to do NYRR Virtual 1 Mile race, so I decided to do it as my last mile. Knew I wanted to make some route changes for that (avoid a big uphill), but I planned badly and ended up adding an extra 0.1 miles, which was okay because I was feeling fine. Very happy with both parts of this run.
    • Shoes - tried the new lacing. My foot still hurt, but I'm not sure if that's residual pain from the old lacing, something I did wrong with the lacing, or an actual problem with my foot. I'll try them like this for a few more runs. If the pain persists, I'll take them in to Jack Rabbit to have an "expert" re-lace them, and if that doesn't help, I may have to try to find time to see a doctor.
    • Official time for my Virtual NB 5th Ave Mile was 12:13. That's a virtual mile PR by about 40 seconds. Woohoo!
  • Cross Training: barre3, 1:00:01 hours
    • barre3 was intense. Not sure if it was my crappy eating (see below) or because I was almost late (work) or this morning's run or just a more intense than usual class, but ... I struggled early. But I just took a drink, checked my heart rate, and took it down a level, and I was fine. I even managed to keep the weight behind my knee in all fours, which I have never done before. Go me! (Btw ... I only used my weights on the mat, never standing. That's how "down a level" I had to take it. Both of my planks were done on my knees, and I'm okay with that, other than my knees hurting a little from the floor). I think I sweated (sweat?) more from this than from my run this morning.
  • Food: Started off the day good with the eating. That derailed quickly. I need to figure out how to not go straight for the chocolate stash right after finishing breakfast.
  • Life/Work: Ugh. Work. But it's fine, I just gotta keep going. I actually didn't finish everything I wanted to finish and I probably should have brought my laptop home, but ... whatever. Stress level 49.
Wednesday
  • Running: 3.0 miles Easy/LR - 3.03 miles, 42:18 minutes, 13:58 min/mi avg pace
    • Super slow walk breaks on this run. No idea why, since I felt okay, I just couldn't pick up the walk pace. Run pace was okay. Other than that, fairly unexceptional run.
  • Food: Ate all the chocolates until I ran out.
  • Work/Life: Busy at work, so I stayed fairly late. But I was fine with it. Relaxed a little when I got home and still got a decent amount of stuff done. Stress level 36.
Thursday
  • Running: 4+ mi EC - 4.17 miles, 54:00 minutes, 12:57 min/mi avg pace
    • Run was not easy, but I survived. Took a few walk breaks. I'm okay with it. Veeeerrrry slow though, no idea why.
    • Originally scheduled for barre3, but cancelled because I had other plans. :(.
  • Food: Started the day almost out of chocolate, so I didn't eat it all. Once I bought chocolate, I ate too much. Did okay at dinner, though - went out and got a salad as my side (even though I had salad for lunch) and was fine not eating everything.
  • Life/Work: Work was whatever. Had dinner with a potential future roommate, and while nothing is set in stone, we decided that we would be willing to look for an apartment together. So we'll see what happens. Stress level 42.
Friday
  • Food: Ate all the chocolates.
  • Life/Work: I had the commute from hell. It took me a long time to settle down from that. But once I did, things were fine, and I even survived my first post-summer Friday! Got almost everything I wanted to get done at work done. Stress level 33.

Saturday
  • Food: Not the worst, but not the best either.
  • Life: Nothing too exciting. Stress level 18, but I also only wore my watch for a few hours.
Sunday
  • Running: 1.5 mi WU + 1 mi LR C + 5 mi HM C + 1 mi LR C + 1.5 mi CD - 10.03 miles, 1:58:31 hours, 11:49 min/mi avg pace
    • So. This guy. This wasn't the run I wanted, but it was the one I got, and I'm okay with that. I struggled a lot in the first half. Had to stop to catch my breath several times. I wasn't sure I would make it the full 10 miles. But something must have clicked and the second half was better than first half.
    • I realized during this run that the right amount of sleep pre-race will be absolutely crucial. I think a lot of what went wrong on this run was lack of sleep. Coffee might have helped a little, but of course I did not learn from last week's disaster, so I did not have coffee pre-run. Will definitely be having a caffeinated gel before the race, which should help.
    • Had some problems with my left leg, knee, and ankle. Hoping it's just a stretching issue, since it started pre-run. Ankle pain seemed like it might be related to the other foot pain (the lacing-related pain), which I'm hoping will go away with the new lacing and a few days of rest.
  • Food: So far ... meh.
  • Life: Getting this out early, so I haven't had time for life to happen. Been doing a little work, but that's just because I'm out tomorrow and Tuesday for a holiday. Not expecting anything too exciting to happen today, honestly. Stress level 61, but that's because so far I've only worn my watch for running.
Overall Week Stats:
Running: 5 runs (well, sort of... two were back-to-back with only a short pause to stop the activity and start a new one), 21.36 miles, 04:25:47 hours (12:27/mi avg pace), 1 Virtual Race PR (1 mile - 12:13)
Barre3: 1 class, 1:00:01 hours
Weight: Up 1.4 lb from last Sunday, but down 0.9 lb from Thursday's high.

I probably have more to say, but I'm tired (I've barely had any coffee) and need to check on my work computer. So ... that's it. Bye!

Last edited:
I absolutely love working from home some times. I just did this last Friday. But I totally get the focus issue. I have coworkers who prefer to go into the office. My commuter is an hour each way so it’s nice to not have to do that some times.

I again enjoyed reading your weekly recap!

I meant to get on yesterday and post, but Happy Rosh Hashanah! (Please forgive me if that's not the correct way to say that...) Does your family celebrate in a special way?

In the past I have definitely tried to focus more on the overall training than on any one run, but I feel like I've lost that a bit lately. So I think I needed the reminder to focus on how the plan has gone overall and not any one run.
And thank you for sharing that story - it's always good to hear reminders that one rough run can be part of a great overall training cycle.
After yesterday I've come to remember that a big part of why we train is so that we can also know how to deal with a tough race when one of those comes up.

Been doing a little work, but that's just because I'm out tomorrow and Tuesday for a holiday.
I saw that holiday on my planner today. I hope you enjoy it.

I changed my twitter bio:
View attachment 349663
Oh good, I can read more of your thoughts as it comes across my Twitter timeline.

I absolutely love working from home some times. I just did this last Friday. But I totally get the focus issue. I have coworkers who prefer to go into the office. My commuter is an hour each way so it’s nice to not have to do that some times.

I have a similar commute (mine's a little over an hour when the subways are running properly), so I definitely understand not wanting to do the commute. I just have to find a way to stay focused when I work from home.

I again enjoyed reading your weekly recap!

Thank you!

I meant to get on yesterday and post, but Happy Rosh Hashanah! (Please forgive me if that's not the correct way to say that...) Does your family celebrate in a special way?

Thank you! We mostly celebrate by attending services at our synagogue - really long service with some loud noises (shofar blowing). And we have some foods that we eat that are supposed to bring special blessings for the new year, but those tend to be foods we eat during the year anyway (apple dipped in honey, fish, carrots ... there's something about a lamb's head, but we skip that one). But mostly it's just praying and spending time together (or in my case ... all the naps).

After yesterday I've come to remember that a big part of why we train is so that we can also know how to deal with a tough race when one of those comes up.

Yes. This. Sorry you had to have a reminder of that, but it's always something good to remember.

I saw that holiday on my planner today. I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you!

Oh good, I can read more of your thoughts as it comes across my Twitter timeline.

My twitter thoughts aren't always so exciting (there's a lot of complaining about the subway), but occasionally there's something fun there. (Also ... I followed you back :))

Thank you! We mostly celebrate by attending services at our synagogue - really long service with some loud noises (shofar blowing). And we have some foods that we eat that are supposed to bring special blessings for the new year, but those tend to be foods we eat during the year anyway (apple dipped in honey, fish, carrots ... there's something about a lamb's head, but we skip that one). But mostly it's just praying and spending time together (or in my case ... all the naps).
As a man of faith myself, I really respect how open you are about your faith.

Yes. This. Sorry you had to have a reminder of that, but it's always something good to remember.
I'm trying to move on from constantly replaying what didn't go my way on race day in my head, but at the same time, I'm actually really glad it went the way it did. I feel like the problems helped me identify weak spots that need to be addressed in order to succeed in the marathon. I chose the race in part to maybe get a corral placement. While that idea went by the wayside when I learned that corral placement was roughly 30 minutes faster than my race goal, I then approached the race as a test of where I am and where I need to be. And I learned things that I need to address. So even without the PR, finishing the race was a success.

My twitter thoughts aren't always so exciting (there's a lot of complaining about the subway), but occasionally there's something fun there. (Also ... I followed you back :))
Mine probably isn't exciting either. But that's okay. Sometimes twitter is just good to vent.

A few small things:
1 - The Fitbit is dead. D-E-A-D dead. I'm trying to charge it up and see if I can get it to turn back on, but I don't know if it will happen. Sigh.
2 - Tried to register for a barre3 class a few days after my race and I don't have a subscription for then. So I have to find out when I can start booking classes for the next month. I thought the subscription renews automatically, but it may take time.
3 - barre3 schedule will be erratic for the next few weeks (for various reasons), but I want to keep the subscription just so that I'm in the habit of having it. Which makes little sense, but whatever.
4 - Apartment hunting is scary. That is all.

I cannot imagine apartment hunting in or around NYC, but what an awesome place to live! Sorry about the Fitbit. That's a bummer.

I cannot imagine apartment hunting in or around NYC, but what an awesome place to live! Sorry about the Fitbit. That's a bummer.

Apartment hunting will definitely be tough, especially because I've been told that if you find an apartment you like, it might be gone by the end of the day, so you really have to jump on it. But it'll be nice to be closer to work, and the area I'm looking at (Upper West Side) is close to Central Park, which will be nice for any future races.
I'm definitely bummed about the Fitbit, especially because I've had it so long, but hopefully there's a way to revive it. And if not, at least I still have my Garmin.

A few more things, before I forget:

1 - I need to remember to email NYRR about medal engraving. The timing doesn't work for me. I don't think anything will come of this, but I want to at least ask if they're willing to work with me.

2 - Dealing with the Fitbit support team right now. Based on my prior experiences with them (and how this one started ...), I'm not expecting great success. But who knows. I may be wrong.
UPDATE: It's dead and cannot be revived. Since they don't make this model anymore, they can't replace it. Oh well. We had 5 good years together. Guess I'm exclusively a Garmin person now.
(Unless I want to get another Fitbit, which I don't really, because I don't want another wrist-based device and they don't make the clip ones anymore)

3 - I really want to have my race suspense post up this week. It's mostly done. So hopefully I can knock it out soon.

4 - Is it a bad idea to go to a work happy hour tomorrow and then do a barre3 class? Asking for a friend. (Said friend may also switch Friday's tempo run to tomorrow and do an easy run on Friday because she's crazy and also doesn't want to do a tempo run at 5am on no sleep on the treadmill)

5 - I don't know what to name my new shoes!!!!! Help!!!
upload_2018-9-12_22-16-6.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter