Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

So, sometimes I'll read through old posts, either because I'm looking for something specific (which is the case right now), or just to see what was going on way back when.
Came across this comment:
3 - #ISurvivedWholeFoods. I needed lettuce. They sell the lettuce I like for the same price as the kosher supermarket. I also bought some vegan blueberry muffins for the family. Between the vegan and the blueberry, I'm guessing nobody but me will eat them. But the brownie ones were a bigger package and I didn't want to buy such a big pack of something we might not like! Oh, Whole Foods.

So ... Whole Foods is where I do most of my grocery shopping these days. Honestly, I did not see that one coming. But it's convenient (7 blocks from the apt), they have a good selection and decent quality, and the hours are fantastic (I usually go at like 7:30am before work, but one time I went at 10pm).
Sometimes I really surprise myself.

2019: 2019 Edition

Goals: 2019 Edition
So … I made myself a list of running goals for 2019.

I know what you’re all thinking – “Sarah, it’s not even June, why do you have goals for next year? Shouldn’t you maybe be thinking about the rest of this year?”

Well, most of this year is already kinda set in terms of my running (maybe … there’s still a slight chance that I’ll end up registering for like 45 more races). Some of this year is working towards goals for next year. And there are some goals that I’ve been thinking about that I don’t think I’m ready for this year, but I think will be achievable next year. So I wanted to write out and share all of these goals.

So ... It's 2019. I figured it was time to revisit the goals for the year that I set like 45 years ago.

1. Walt Disney World Marathon. Since it’s my first marathon, and I’m still only about 60% convinced that I’ll actually finish, I don’t want to set serious goals beyond finish. Other goals are 7 hours (to have a finish time within the official time limit) and 2 characters per hour, but those are more flexible.

Well, this happened. I finished! 6:27:50, or something like that.
Plus ... I did 13 characters in 6.5 hours, which is 2 characters per hour, I think. So I hit all my goals! Yay!
I probably should have stopped for a few more characters, but nothing I can do about that now.
Unless someone has a time machine they want to lend me... (although I don't particularly want to repeat that race because highways).

2. United Airlines NYC Half. Hopefully I will have my guaranteed entry for this. Assuming the course stays the same, primary goal is conquer the Manhattan Bridge (and/or embrace the crowding and use it as an opportunity to take pictures), secondary is have a good time again, and distant goal is new half PR. I think it should be doable, assuming training goes okay.

As of right now, this is what's next on my agenda (I keep thinking about Princess if I can get someone to go with me, but I need to save my vacation days). The course seems to have changed a bit (more Prospect Park and no LES), but the goal is still the same - be happy with how things go on the Manhattan Bridge.

3. Sub-1 hour 10K. This is one of those goals that sent me on a spiral. I knew it was doable, but maybe not in 2019. Coach said it's not outside the realm of possibility. Another conversation that Coach and I had was about PRs, and I came to the realization that I have my best chance at achieving a PR in a race where I'm excited about the race itself, not just the possibility of a PR. My 5K PR is from a race hosted by my favorite hockey team. My half PR is from the NYC Half, a race that I was super excited for from the minute I saw the new course description. So I think that to get this sub-1hr 10K, I'll have to find a 10K that I'm really excited about. Looks like my work is cut out for me.

Right now this is off the table. I don't have a 10K on my schedule for the year, and I don't know that I'm planning to put one on my schedule. I want a race that I'm excited about, and there aren't really any 10Ks around here that excite me. So this will wait.

4. Weekly Races for One Month. I’ve discovered that I really enjoy local races, which is something I never thought would happen. After running (or at least being scheduled for… I haven’t run the last one yet) 3 races in 4 weeks, I realized that I kinda like the idea of running a race every week. I don’t think I could do it regularly, but I’d like to pick one month in 2019 and run a race every week during that month.

Definitely not happening. I think all the races I did last year are what led to my severe burnout at the end of the year, so I'm not overloading my schedule this year. And 4 races in 4 weeks would definitely count as overloading my schedule.

5. Sub-9 in ‘1-9. AKA a sub-9:00 mile at the New Balance Fifth Avenue Mile. It’s 20 blocks down 5th Avenue, starting just south of the Met (I think), so it should be pretty easy to enjoy the experience and push myself.

Yes! Not sure it's gonna happen, but I'm going to show up, give it everything I have, and hope I can do it.

6. TCS New York City Marathon. This is basically what all of 2018 has been about. Goals are 1) finish, and 2) new marathon PR (shouldn’t be too hard considering the fact that my only other marathon will have character stops).

Officially claimed my guaranteed entry. I'm not great with hills and this is a hilly course, so we'll see how it goes, but ... I may spend all the time between now and November reminding my dad that I run with my phone, so he can text me to see where on the course I am at any point. Also, I'll set up tracking for him. And we'll probably try to agree on spots for him to spectate. But again, he can text me to see what's up.

So ... that's the goals I set months ago. Most are still there. Some are off the table. But ... I've got some new goals too:
1 - Half Every Month - I'm part of a challenge in my Facebook running group (You vs the Year) where I have to run at least 13.1 miles at least once every month (it can be done in multiple runs, but they have to be within 24 hours). It can be training or a race, so we'll see what I end up doing. But I want to at least try this. Thankfully, longer runs (including marathons) count, so I'm good for January :)

2 - Bronx Redemption - I'd like to do the New Balance Bronx 10 Mile again. It wasn't a bad course, I just had a really bad day. So I'd like to give it another try. Not sure I'd set a time goal again, but I want to see if I can do better on that course if I fix some of the mistakes I made that day. Only problem is ... as with this year, the timing is not perfect (although it is slightly better than last year). So we'll see.

And ... those are my 2019 goals. Yay?

Last edited:

Great list of goals! You've got this!

Thanks, Coach! I really appreciate you helping me set myself up for a successful year.

I love all your goals and I think you did a pretty great job on early prediction for what those goals would be!

Thanks! With everything that's happened over the last few months, I was really surprised at how many of my goals I was planning to stick with.
Maybe I should try predicting lottery numbers...

---

In the spirit of trying something new (and because #polarvortex), I'm signed up for a 60 minute treadmill running class at Mile High Run Club tomorrow. It's at 7am on the East Side, so early wakeup (I think I want to plan to leave about 6:30ish ... should take 15-20 minutes to get there). Not sure what shoes I'm gonna wear, since I wore my 880s today and my Zantes don't do well on the treadmill. May have to wear my marathon shoes (which I already wore for a shorter run once this week...). We'll see.
But at least I'm not being stubborn and trying to run outside in the single digits.

I feel you. This weather is awful for running outside. We got 4 inches of snow this morning and now snow squalls on top of the cold. Definitely hitting the gym this week. Here’s wishing for warmer days

I feel you. This weather is awful for running outside. We got 4 inches of snow this morning and now snow squalls on top of the cold. Definitely hitting the gym this week. Here’s wishing for warmer days

Yikes. We haven't gotten much snow (just a few squalls yesterday), just the cold. Definitely not outside weather. Here's hoping we get some warmth soon!

Review: Mile High Run Club

This morning I attended The Distance, a 60-minute class at Mile High Run Club (I went to the Upper East Side location). I had originally discovered Mile High Run Club's NoHo location when taking a walk near work and was interested in learning more and/or checking it out... but why would I pay for a treadmill running class when I could run outside for free? But between polar vertex and the fact that I have free ClassPass for a month (27 credits). I was planning on running for about an hour today, so when I saw a 7am hour-long class on the Upper East Side, it seemed like the perfect use of 12 credits.

I left the house earlier than I needed to (I was worried about how long I might have to wait for the bus), so I got to Mile High Run Club early, but I figured that was good because it would give me a chance to get the lay of the land. I got there and gave my name to the woman at the desk, and she told me my treadmill number and quickly told me where everything was (downstairs).

I got downstairs and since the previous class still hadn't ended, the place was kind of abandoned. I tried to orient myself (the quick overview didn't help, but the signs did) and then went to change (I was wearing capris and my Bronx 10 Mile shirt as my bottom layer, so it was mostly shedding layers and changing my shoes). I found a locker, figured out how to use it (there were instructions), grabbed my water bottle, and when the room was ready, I went in and found my treadmill. And the woman on the treadmill next to me was wearing the same Bronx 10 Mile shirt that I was wearing. So that was a funny coincidence.

Most people seemed to know what was going on, and people started stretching or warming up. I didn't really know what to do, but I turned on my treadmill and tried to get myself set up. I saw the list of suggested paces that they had, and was a little offended that their "Jogging" paces were closer to my paces than the "Racer" paces. So that was a rough start. I actually wasn't understanding the pace list properly, but even once I figured out how to interpret the list, I was still a little offended that the slower paces were for "joggers" and couldn't be racers. But that's just me being sensitive. Whatever.

Anyway ... Coach Conor introduced himself and gave us an overview of what we would be doing - a 10 minute warm up (level 1), some 6-minute intervals at level 2 and various level 3 paces (level 3 was divided into three parts - low (HM pace), middle (10K pace), high (5K pace)) with recovery between intervals, and "level 4" (all-out) sprints at the end. I started a little before class with a few seconds of walking before going up to what would be the equivalent of my EC pace. I stayed there for the warm up, and then for the first interval, I went up to 0.5 less than what they had listed as level 1 for runners. So, closer to the racer than the jogger, but still not quite there. I sometimes walked and sometimes ran the recovery (usually started walking then transitioned to running as we got closer to the next interval). I played around with the right paces for each level a lot. My high level 3 was the people next to me's level 2 ... but that's not what the class was about, so I didn't mind at all.
(Side note: If I had known we would be using this kind of pacing, I would have calculated the treadmill equivalent of my paces from Coach)
There were also some "hills." I wasn't sure how my knee would react to that, but I was mostly fine. And we did all of the hills at level 2 pace, which was nice.
I also wasn't sure what I was going to do in terms of the sprints. I wasn't sure how high I could take the treadmill. But for the last few seconds, I had the treadmill at 7.5. Coach Conor was very encouraging and really motivated me to keep pushing and I never would have imagined pushing my sprints as far as I did. So that was really cool.

There was music playing the whole time, and while I wish it was something I could have sang along with, I still liked it. I also liked the dark lighting. I also liked that it was really runner-centric, with race-related paces and lots of talk about upcoming races.
I didn't like the fact that my treadmill was right in front of the mirror, so I spent the whole time looking at myself. Not a fan. Also wasn't thrilled with there not being any effort to welcome me as a first timer (in my barre3 class they always ask if there are new people and talk to them about injuries or modifications, and there was none of that here).

Overall, it was fun, but not really for me. I'm not a tempo and hills on the treadmill person. I also think doing it at the end of a long running week made it harder. But while it won't be a regular thing for me, I could see myself going for a shorter class during an easy week or if I'm not on a plan and want some tempo. I can't see this particular class fitting into my training plan on a regular basis.

tl;dr - It was fun, but not really my jam. I might do it again if I was between plans and looking for a tempo run, but really, how often does that happen?
(Well, I'm thinking about going back on February 28th for Britney Spears vs. Boy Bands)

Also ... I still have 15 ClassPass credits left. What should I use them for?

Sounds like a really interesting class. Had never heard of that before. I am sure that they have things like this in Boston, but since I no longer work in the city, I am not up on the hip classes. These things haven't made it's way to the suburbs yet.

Sounds like a really interesting class. Had never heard of that before. I am sure that they have things like this in Boston, but since I no longer work in the city, I am not up on the hip classes. These things haven't made it's way to the suburbs yet.

Yeah, this definitely seems like a hip city class. I'm sure something like it will make its way to the suburbs eventually...

Definitely not happening. I think all the races I did last year are what led to my severe burnout at the end of the year, so I'm not overloading my schedule this year. And 4 races in 4 weeks would definitely count as overloading my schedule.
I like your flexibility with goals. Sometimes we become so obsessed with the pursuit of a goal that we risk injury or burnout and that can make everything worse. I think goals are important, but I think it's equally important to have flexibility and manage them appropriate to where we are in any given moment.

Thanks for reviewing your treadmill class. I try hard not to use the dreadmill but sometimes no choice (yes in atlanta it does not happen often but I spent most of this week on it, of course it’s cold and I am sick). It sounded interesting when you said you were going. Am with you probably fine for a random need to be on TM anyway so why not, but not the way I would like to train.

Oh, in other news, I'm in the lottery for the Broad Street Run in May. Beth's in finals then, so I don't know whether or not I'm hoping to get in (she said it's okay for me to come for the weekend, but I really don't want to disrupt her studying). I find out what happens in a few weeks.

Nice, here’s good luck you get in. I’m already registered for Brosd Street. When I completed the Philadrlphia marathon last year I got an offer for the 2019 Philadelphia Challenge, which I signed up for. It was automatic entry into Broad Street, and registering for the 8K, half-marathon, & marathon in November.

I like your flexibility with goals. Sometimes we become so obsessed with the pursuit of a goal that we risk injury or burnout and that can make everything worse. I think goals are important, but I think it's equally important to have flexibility and manage them appropriate to where we are in any given moment.

Thank you! I think you really hit the nail on the head there - goals are really important, but you can't hurt yourself to reach your goals.

Thanks for reviewing your treadmill class. I try hard not to use the dreadmill but sometimes no choice (yes in atlanta it does not happen often but I spent most of this week on it, of course it’s cold and I am sick). It sounded interesting when you said you were going. Am with you probably fine for a random need to be on TM anyway so why not, but not the way I would like to train.

I think everyone has times when the treadmill is the best option, no matter where you live. Plus, you do get snow in Atlanta occasionally. It shuts down the entire city. Didn't that happen a few years ago?
Feel better!

Nice, here’s good luck you get in. I’m already registered for Brosd Street. When I completed the Philadrlphia marathon last year I got an offer for the 2019 Philadelphia Challenge, which I signed up for. It was automatic entry into Broad Street, and registering for the 8K, half-marathon, & marathon in November.

Thanks! Maybe I'll see you there.
That Philadelphia Challenge sounds cool - do they offer that to all marathon finishers or just some people? Sounds like a nice way to encourage people to participate in the races.

Thanks! Maybe I'll see you there.
That Philadelphia Challenge sounds cool - do they offer that to all marathon finishers or just some people? Sounds like a nice way to encourage people to participate in the races.

I assume it’s an offer to all the finishers, but am not sure. I know a couple of other people who finished. I’ll have to ask them if they got that offer as well.

Week In Review: January 28th - February 3rd

Monday:
Run - 2.55 miles, 31:15 minutes, 12:15 min/mi pace. Don't remember much about this run other than that I hate the Central Park hills. Had planned to do something closer to 5 miles, but I didn't want to get up. Need to work on that. Sigh.
barre3 - With Dino! My first class with him in a little bit, just because my schedule has been so erratic lately. I had eaten like garbage all day, and that definitely affected my performance, but I still enjoyed it.

Tuesday:
Run - 5.13 miles, 1:05:41 hours, 12:47 min/mi pace. My first tempo run since about a month pre-marathon! 0.5 mi WU (at Easy Continuous pace) + 3 x (10 min HM Tempo + 0.5 mi RI) + 0.5+ mi CD (also EC pace). First tempo interval was rough, but it got better with each tempo interval. I liked the 0.5 mile rest intervals, but it did feel weird to be walking for that long. Overall, I do feel confident that I will eventually get to the right tempo paces.

Wednesday:
Run - 4.22 miles, 52:51 minutes, 12:30 min/mi pace. This was the first day of the very cold and the last day that I thought I'd be able to run outside. I wasn't dressed well for the wind. I probably need a better wind jacket ... but right now I need more things to buy like I need a hole in the head. Wanted to do somewhere between 45 minutes and 4 miles. Ended up with this.
barre3 - I USED 3lb WEIGHTS FOR SOME OF THE CLASS! First time! I also held two full planks. Overall, this was a great class and it felt like I was making a lot of progress. Allie was a great instructor, as always (I take her a lot and I love her). But damn it was cold walking there from work.

Thursday:
It was 4° when I woke up, so ... good thing I have a treadmill at the house. Oh wait ... I don't live there anymore. Reason #74927 why I shouldn't have moved.
Anyway ... rewind to when I was making magic with Harry Potter at Wizarding World. My friend sent me a referral link for a free month of ClassPass. Nagged me about it while I was still in Florida. I had 27 credits and nothing to do with them. So earlier in the week, when I suspected that running outside on Thursday wasn't gonna happen, a made a reservation for a 60-minute class at Mile High Run Club. Full review above, but the basic stats...
Run - 4.78 miles, 1:00:37 hours, 12:37 min/mi pace. Tempo Run #2 of the week. It took me a while to find the right treadmill paces, but eventually I settled in.

Friday:
Rest Day! Also a very long day ... I get up early on Fridays and then I had a late night (a friend in the building was having a get together and I was chilling there for a while), but I made some new friends, so it all ended up okay.

Saturday:
Another rest day. Had a nice lunch with a great group of girls. Did laundry way too late at night so I went to sleep late and tired.

Sunday:
Run - 6.33 miles, 1:20:30 hours, 12:42 min/mi pace. Originally scheduled for an 8:30 barre3, but I couldn't decide how I wanted to play it since I was only doing 7 miles and there and back is 9 miles, so I ended up cancelling that. Woke up tired, didn't want to run. Just delayed and delayed. Looked at ClassPass to see if there was something I wanted to do instead of running, but didn't find anything I wanted. Eventually dragged myself out of bed for a 10K. Decided to run to the intrepid and back, but since that's only 3 miles each way, I had to add a little extra. As soon as I got home, I regretting having gone out in the first place. I think that I should have just skipped this one, maybe done a class instead. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Long Run was 27.7% of my weekly mileage, which Coach would probably say is ideal, but feels too little to me. This thing about keeping the longer runs as a lower percentage of the week still feels off to me.

Upcoming:
Gotta build my IKEA table, so we'll see if that saps my energy enough to affect running (very excited about the table, though, because our living room is a mess right now and we need to be able to put away our folding table). On the waitlist for barre3 tomorrow and scheduled for Wednesday. Looking for a long long run this week (maybe even 10 miles?), so I'll have to get out for decently long runs every day. I really need to get better at getting out early.

Last edited:
Good week of running.

Thank you!

Sorry you regretted your LR! Any particular reason??

I just didn't want to go out, wasn't enjoying it during the run, and didn't feel like it accomplished anything or served a purpose. When I got home from the run, I felt like I probably should have just skipped it and stayed in bed.

Good luck with your ikea table.. you might need it ;)

Thanks. So far ... we definitely need it.
In our defense, it came with a screwdriver, how were we supposed to know that the screwdriver it came with wouldn't work for all the screws??

Well ... I think I hit the limit of what my legs can tolerate. The question is whether I fight through it and do a treadmill class tonight (I still have classpass credits), try some "easy on the legs" cross training, or just take it as a rest day.
This week has not been ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter