Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

View attachment 408625

Both the 1:49 and 2:27 appear to be Corral D based on past runDisney history. You'd need a 10k around a 1:01 or better to squeeze into Corral C.

Thank you for this info (even though I probably should have saved you the work and looked at the charts myself...).
Since I'm not planning to run a 1:01 10K, I'll save myself the effort and use one of my existing races.
Thanks!

Screenshot_20190612-221809_Connect.jpg

Yes, that is 2 runs and barre3 all in one day. And the second one was after a drink and in retired shoes (it was a group run that I wasn't originally planning to join).
I'm taking tomorrow as an unplanned rest day. Hopefully my knee is okay (the retired shoes were retired at like 350 miles in January, so they're not super old).

Yeah ... I should probably stop making questionable decisions.

One of my biggest fears is that one day I will accidentally knock over my glass coffee maker carafe and break it.

Guess what my roommate did today?

It's fine. She ordered a replacement, which hopefully will work out okay (it's not the exact carafe that came with the coffee maker). I get that stuff happens, and I'm not at all upset or angry with her, but I think it was a preventable tragedy (it has to do with how it happened), and I wish it hadn't happened.
Anyway ... I didn't end up drinking at the event I went to earlier and believe me I wanted a drink after I got this news, but I'm down to my second to last beer and I can't afford alcohol anymore, so I have to ration.

Still debating ice cream.

#ReturnAllTheThings: A Not Shopping Post
(note: I'm writing this sitting on the kitchen floor waiting for my chicken to finish cooking and for my eggplant to finish brining, so it's not gonna make much sense)

So ... I promised you guys a shopping post. But I ended up returning most of the things I bought. So not so exciting. Here's a basic summary of all the purchases:

Sunglasses
We already discussed this - I bought the goodr Breakfast Run To Tiffany's sunglasses. They're not bad, but I find my knockarounds to be more comfortable.
Thinking about "DisneyBounding" (not Disney) as Holly Golightly for my next race. The hardest part will probably be the hairstyle.
(PS I love that movie and I haven't seen it in forever)

Non-Running Shoes
Bought two pairs of brown heels from DSW online, planning to return whichever one I liked less (I do this a lot - there's a DSW near me but I don't always love their selection, so I buy online and return in store). I didn't end up loving either one, but kept the pair that fit better. They look not very well made, but so far they're holding up okay. Decently comfortable, but I think I do roll out on the side of my foot when I walk in them. It's the lack of arch support. But the way the shoe is, I can't really put insoles in them for more support.

Non-Running Clothing
I bought three dresses from ModCloth.
One was very poor quality. There were little pills (is that the word I'm looking for?) and strings hanging off it. So that one was definitely getting returned.
The second one I tried on was very creased. I don't have an iron, so I can't really wear a dress that gets that creased that easily. So that was also getting returned.
The third one I liked, but it was super super long (like ... resting comfortably on the floor), and while I love dresses that length, they're not super practical. That one was a tough decision, but I just wasn't sure I'd wear it enough to justify the cost.
... So all three dresses got returned.

(Interlude: Eggplant is out of the brine ... just need to wait another 5 minutes for the chicken to be done, and then I have to get the oven to eggplant temperature and put that in)

Sports Bras
Finally, a running-related shopping.
Or not. I currently have 3 useable-but-not great old sports bras, plus my 2 good ones. I kept wearing my good bras to barre class because the old ones aren't as usable there, but I really would rather use my good sports bras for running. So I decided to buy a cross training bra. Based on some research and a conversation with a friend, I decided to buy the Brooks Rebound Racer.
At first I bought both the Rebound Racer and the Brooks Juno from the Brooks website. But apparently they're changing their shipping center and the stock was wrong and they had to cancel my order. But they gave me a 25% off code good until the end of the year. I ended up buying the Rebound Racer from another site, but couldn't find the Juno for cheap anywhere.
So ... I tried it. It took me for-freaking-ever to get it on. Such a pain in the butt. The band, which was a size down from my current NB bras (which I did based on the recommendation of a friend who wears Brooks bras), was fine. The cup size, which was the biggest they make in that bra, was not fine. I did not fit. So ... that got returned.
For now I just bought another one of my good New Balance bras from Joe's New Balance outlet. It was cheap. But I think they might have redesigned the bra because it feels a little different than my other two. Or maybe it's just because it's new and the other two are well worn. Whatever.
Anyway ... I also want to try the Brooks Juno eventually, but I'm not in any rush. For now I'll just mostly stick with the three good NB bras I have.

Replacements
So ... two replacements.
1 - Something fell off my earbuds in Whole Foods, rendering one earbud unusable. I emailed JBL/Harman, and once they ascertained what I needed, they said they'd send over a replacement. While I was waiting for the replacement, I tried running without music (hard no ... not for me), a class at Mile High Run Club (not bad, but this was a night class and I think I prefer morning ... and also, this class led to me putting "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" on one of my playlists), and running with one earbud (best option ... and this is also what I do during races, so I don't know why I didn't just start with this option). Replacement came about a week after that no-music run.
2 - Garmin. I was having all sorts of GPS issues, so I wrote to them and asked if they could replace it. I already wrote about this, but long story short ... my options were be without the watch for 2 days or put down a $200+ deposit on the replacement unit. I went with the deposit. Send the old watch back a few days after getting the new watch. The new watch is not any better than the old one (in fact, at first I think it was worse), but it's not too far off with GPS + Galileo, so I'll survive. But this replacement was a terrible idea and I'm a moron and really should have just dealt with the GPS issues.
Plus side is, now my watch isn't gonna be super ahead of mile markers at races - it'll probably be behind!
Whatever.

Still To Buy
- Dresses - I do need dresses. I think I need to buy in person, though. I went to TJMaxx the other day and saw a Lilly Pulitzer dress that I really liked for $40, but they didn't have it in my size. Sigh. I love dresses, but dress shopping is a giant PITA sometimes.
- New Running Shoes - not a super urgent thing, but I will need to replace the 880s eventually. Still haven't even tried on the Zante Pursuit.
- Cross Training Bra - would like to get something cheaper for barre, but if I can get my good running bra for $20 again, I'll just keep stocking up on those

(Final cooking update: Chicken is out of the oven. I really should have remembered to crush the pretzels (it's pretzel-coated chicken, but I didn't sufficiently crush up the pretzels) ... my brain is not attached. Eggplant is in the oven, about halfway done. I'm on the couch in the living room now.)

This Princess Half Marathon trip is gonna be mad expensive, y'all.
And my dreams of a super fun Beach Club Club Level adventure died a very expensive death.
Sigh.

In other news ... I signed up to volunteer as a course marshall for a marathon training run in Central Park in September. Not sure how it will work with that probably being a long run day and it still potentially being baseball season, but I really wanted to volunteer and there's not much availability. Thought about volunteering for the Bronx 10 Mile, but it's just not great timing (which honestly is why I'm not running it).

I was *this* close to signing up for the New Balance 5th Avenue Mile, but then I remembered that that could also potentially be a baseball Sunday. I may end up signing up anyway and just eating the cost if I end up at a game that day.
I also have to decide if I want to renew my NYRR membership, because I'm not thrilled with them right now, but I also don't want to miss out on potential members-only pre-marathon stuff. Sigh.

Speaking of baseball ... we were back at the Mets yesterday. We had rain check tickets that we exchanged. This coming Sunday is Brooklyn Cyclones. Not sure about the week after that.

Quick Shoe Update:
880s are either already retired or will be retired by the end of the week. Depends on my schedule for the week and how many pairs of shoes I need.
Will start will the Zante Pursuit either later this week or early next week.
Probably not replacing the 880s for a little bit - will try to get through the summer with the two pairs of Zantes.

Remember how I was gonna meal plan and meal prep and everything?
Not really happening. I just make whatever's easy and I should really be better about adding some variety into my meals.

In that spirit ... please share your favorite easy, healthy(-ish) vegetarian recipes. Bonus points if its a smaller recipe that makes 2-3 servings (or can be modified to be a small recipe). Extra bonus for things that can be prepped and made quickly.

Easy chicken recipes also appreciated, but I really don't eat that much meat, and when I do have chicken I mostly either do fajitas (which is the plan for tomorrow night's dinner) or just pour teriyaki sauce on it and throw it in the oven (which is also what I do with salmon half the time).

In that spirit ... please share your favorite easy, healthy(-ish) vegetarian recipes. Bonus points if its a smaller recipe that makes 2-3 servings (or can be modified to be a small recipe). Extra bonus for things that can be prepped and made quickly.
I make a version of this:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/lentil-chard-sweet-potato-curry/#gs.lagod2skipping the jalapeno and garam masala. It is pretty easy to cut in half and you could make it up a day early. I am also so-so on the chard (or subbing in spinach), so I skip it most of the time.

I used to obsessively follow a blog so bear with me:
https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/10/butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion-galette/ can be made with purchased pie crust and frozen butternut squash, but you need the onions carmelized, which I do a day or two before.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/05/carrot-salad-with-harissa-feta-and-mint/ is my favorite not-lettuce salad and keeps well if you put the cheese on it the day you eat it (i.e. buy grated carrots or grate your own if you are looking for meditation, and dress the salad a day or two ahead). I can eat it as a side or toss almonds on or chickpeas in it it for more of a meal.
A good sauce can be used in a variety of ways. https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/10/miso-sweet-potato-and-broccoli-bowl/ is good and can be totally done ahead. I need to double the sauce for my family so it might be fine for you as is. I sometimes add chicken or tofu.
I also use the baked tofu and toss it on soba noodles with peanut sauce (I make a small batch in my blender and freeze half of it) and sliced cucumbers, and if I have been to a salad bar, shredded purple cabbage and carrots (because I do not need an entire head of cabbage ever)
I buy baked tofu off the whole foods salad bar or bake it myself if I remember to do so when home in the evening, and toss that into this one.
I am an expert omelette maker. When all else fails, I can toss a fried egg on almost anything- left over rice, toast, noodles, and use whatever veggies I have left over.

Remember how I was gonna meal plan and meal prep and everything?
Not really happening. I just make whatever's easy and I should really be better about adding some variety into my meals.

Easy chicken recipes also appreciated, but I really don't eat that much meat, and when I do have chicken I mostly either do fajitas (which is the plan for tomorrow night's dinner) or just pour teriyaki sauce on it and throw it in the oven (which is also what I do with salmon half the time).

https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/10/miso-sweet-potato-and-broccoli-bowl/
I like a grain bowl.....endless options for grain, vegetable, additions. I like the dressing in this recipe. (Although finding a small quantity of miso is a pain) ETA: Didn't see the previous post on this!

https://www.loveandlemons.com/vegetarian-stuffed-peppers/
Her site is beautifully photographed and has some good stuff (although I am not a "cashew cream", "cauliflower rice", "insert fake equivalent of something non-vegan/vegetarian" kid of person). She also has some meal plan/prep recipe sets.

So I actually really like vegetarian food, but Peter not so much so I try to mix up stuff to please us both. We eat a lot of chicken. I actually like to cook chicken breasts in the crock pot, shred it, and then freeze individual baggies that I can pull out to add to recipes as it speeds up dinner.

I follow a few blogs -

Kate and Cookie - https://cookieandkate.com/
All her stuff if vegetarian.

Half Baked Harvest - https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/. She has a mix of veggie and meat options. She has some rally good spaghetti squash recipes that I want to try this fall. I like to follow her on instagram as she posts lots of photos and that is how I decide which recipes to try.

I also used to get Cooking Light and got a ton of recipes from them. They ended up merging with Eating Well. I don't love them as much but since the yearly subscription cost $8 I decided to try them out for another year.

I make a version of this:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/lentil-chard-sweet-potato-curry/#gs.lagod2skipping the jalapeno and garam masala. It is pretty easy to cut in half and you could make it up a day early. I am also so-so on the chard (or subbing in spinach), so I skip it most of the time.

I used to obsessively follow a blog so bear with me:
https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/10/butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion-galette/ can be made with purchased pie crust and frozen butternut squash, but you need the onions carmelized, which I do a day or two before.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/05/carrot-salad-with-harissa-feta-and-mint/ is my favorite not-lettuce salad and keeps well if you put the cheese on it the day you eat it (i.e. buy grated carrots or grate your own if you are looking for meditation, and dress the salad a day or two ahead). I can eat it as a side or toss almonds on or chickpeas in it it for more of a meal.
A good sauce can be used in a variety of ways. https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/10/miso-sweet-potato-and-broccoli-bowl/ is good and can be totally done ahead. I need to double the sauce for my family so it might be fine for you as is. I sometimes add chicken or tofu.
I also use the baked tofu and toss it on soba noodles with peanut sauce (I make a small batch in my blender and freeze half of it) and sliced cucumbers, and if I have been to a salad bar, shredded purple cabbage and carrots (because I do not need an entire head of cabbage ever)
I buy baked tofu off the whole foods salad bar or bake it myself if I remember to do so when home in the evening, and toss that into this one.
I am an expert omelette maker. When all else fails, I can toss a fried egg on almost anything- left over rice, toast, noodles, and use whatever veggies I have left over.
https://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/
Use jarred garlic & jarred ginger and you've got a fast meal. I'm making this for lunch today. Eat with lettuce wraps or just as it is with veggies on the side.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/10/miso-sweet-potato-and-broccoli-bowl/
I like a grain bowl.....endless options for grain, vegetable, additions. I like the dressing in this recipe. (Although finding a small quantity of miso is a pain) ETA: Didn't see the previous post on this!

https://www.loveandlemons.com/vegetarian-stuffed-peppers/
Her site is beautifully photographed and has some good stuff (although I am not a "cashew cream", "cauliflower rice", "insert fake equivalent of something non-vegan/vegetarian" kid of person). She also has some meal plan/prep recipe sets.
So I actually really like vegetarian food, but Peter not so much so I try to mix up stuff to please us both. We eat a lot of chicken. I actually like to cook chicken breasts in the crock pot, shred it, and then freeze individual baggies that I can pull out to add to recipes as it speeds up dinner.

I follow a few blogs -

Kate and Cookie - https://cookieandkate.com/
All her stuff if vegetarian.

Half Baked Harvest - https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/. She has a mix of veggie and meat options. She has some rally good spaghetti squash recipes that I want to try this fall. I like to follow her on instagram as she posts lots of photos and that is how I decide which recipes to try.

I also used to get Cooking Light and got a ton of recipes from them. They ended up merging with Eating Well. I don't love them as much but since the yearly subscription cost $8 I decided to try them out for another year.

Thanks for all the recipes, sites, and ideas! Looks like a lot of great stuff there. Probably will need some modifications based on what ingredients I can get (I have no idea where I would buy harissa ... and I can't be around mint so I'd skip that), but definitely some great starting points. Thank you!

Also ... fun fact ... I made cold brew tea yesterday for the first time (undecided on it, probably because I don't love the tea I was using), and the recipe I used (I didn't know what ratios to do or how long to steep) is from Kate and Cookie.

Here's something interesting.
I just officially retired Guava Lava on my sneaker spreadsheet (and in Garmin). Here are the final stats, including retirement date:

Here are the stats on my last pair of the 880v6 (which is the one I really liked):

Retired them exactly a year apart. Kinda bizarre. (Although to be fair, my last run in Guava Lava was last week, I just was undecided on whether I would need them this week so I didn't officially retire them until today).

(Total miles on these spreadsheets includes walking mileage - I tend to try to keep track of distance when I'm walking to races or running errands at the end of a run or something)

I wanted to start posting weekly recaps again to help keep myself accountable but then #life.

Also... I'm a huge ball of stress right now and I don't know why because I was fine 2 hours ago and I just want to go back to sleep but I'm headed home for a few days (/possibly through the weekend) so I really need to get my crap together. I really kinda want to stop and get a Venti latte for the trip home, but a) I've been eating like garbage again (I bought a container of cashews yesterday and finished them this morning ... I really cannot buy nuts), and b) it's not gonna be so easy to schlep my backpack and the bag I'm bringing home and a coffee all on the train.

Anyway ... please send good stress-free thoughts.

Will try to post my last week recap at some point, but I don't know if it's gonna happen.

Sorry to read that you're feeling so stressed- I don't think there is any shame in seeking help to decrease that! Hopefully a good weekend at home will be relaxing.

And I think a big coffee is always a good idea :)

Happy 4th of July, Sarah!

Sorry to read that you're feeling so stressed- I don't think there is any shame in seeking help to decrease that! Hopefully a good weekend at home will be relaxing.

Thanks ❤. Not necessarily a relaxing weekend, but hopefully it will help with the stress.

And I think a big coffee is always a good idea :)

Good point.

Happy 4th of July, Sarah!

Thank you! Happy 4th of July to you too!

Week In Review: June 24th - June 30th

Monday:
Run - 2.14 miles, 27:19 minutes, 12:46 min/mi.
One lap around the reservoir (plus there and back). Went out in the afternoon because I didn’t get back from home until after 9. Wanted to go out a drop earlier and run a drop farther, but an apartment issue came up (stupid Spectrum) so I ended up going out later and running less. Weather wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Wore the Zante Pursuit for the first time.

Zante Pursuit Thoughts:
  1. Much more snug than the v3. Honestly, I wasn't sure the insoles would fit in them (they do). The Zante Solas (the original shoe I got) was supposed to be more snug than this, so I don't think those would have fit at all.
  2. Not super breathable - I’m a little worried about wearing them during the summer and my feet not overheating.
  3. Felt the fresh foam cushioning and it was amazing. Felt like running on air, in a really good way. Definitely knew there was less cushioning than the v3, though. I really love that cushioning, though.
  4. I could feel the lack of support under my arches. Need to get insoles in these ASAP.
20190624_183659.jpg
I named them “Pursuit of Purple.”
I know, I’m lame.

Tuesday:
barre3 - 30 minute online video with Andrew. Between the rain and a shoulder issue I was dealing with on Monday (all good, just must have slept on it funny), I decided a studio class wasn’t in the cards, so I finally used my barre3 online membership (included in my studio membership) and really enjoyed the class. Not a substitute for studio classes, but good for days when I can’t get to the studio.

Life Interlude:
Went to a cool tech event at night. Just a meetup of one of the big developer communities that I’ve recently started to participate in. I made a friend, learned that I keep too much money in my savings account, and spoke with someone who offered to look over my resume for me (and had some good feedback). Overall, it reminded me that there are good communities out there and just because I’ve had some negative to neutral experiences, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t keep trying for the good ones, because I’m sometimes reminded that they are out there.

Wednesday:
Run #1 - 3.16 miles, 39:37 minutes (not including pauses), 12:32 min/mi
Run #2 - 2.70 miles, 38:28 minutes, 14:15 min/mi

These runs were done one right after the other (I kinda thought of it as “run to the Intrepid on the path” and “run home from the Intrepid on the streets”), but I broke it up to do the first 5K as the NYRR Virtual Pride 5K (official time - 40:06 … stupid traffic lights - I forgot not to pause). Wore my most colorful skirt as a reminder of how much our “color” and differences add to our communities and make us better.

20190626_070150.jpg
(Turn this the other way in your head ... also, sorry about the mess in my room)

I thought the distance on the second half was short, but I was wrong. Apparently the path just adds a lot of distance to my runs. Hmm.

Life Interlude:
My headphones died while I was out running errands. Sigh. JBL, I think I’m done with you. Gonna buy something cheap somewhere to tide me over for now, then I gotta think about what I want next. I’m looking at the Bose SoundSport (wired) earbuds since I like my Bose over-ear headphones, but I’m not entirely sold. Definitely want wired (even though it’s a waste on my iPod, which has headphone issues) and definitely want in-ear, but I’m certainly open to suggestions.
Also, my roommate was home sick from work and I was afraid it would interrupt my routine, but other than a 15 minute conversation before breakfast, it really did not. But that’s mostly because I don’t so much leave my room ever, except when I eat lunch.

Thursday:
barre3 - Back in studio for a class with Kelly. Shoulder was feeling okay, and I was even able to make it through the first plank feeling good … and then I got out of the plank and my shoulder said NOPE! Did my second plank at the barre with only one hand on the barre half the time … really had to baby my shoulder the rest of the class. But it was still a good class.

Run - 3.33 miles, 46:09 minutes, 13:52 min/mi
Run with friends are fun. And also a good way to motivate yourself to get out at stupid temperatures. Definitely worth the trip to Central Park.

Friday:
Was originally scheduled for barre but decided not to risk it with the shoulder situation. Went to Target instead. They didn’t have my contact lens solution or the teriyaki sauce I like. Sigh.

Saturday:
Rest Day! Had a medium bad day in general, but it ended with me doing an unnecessary laundry load just because I could so … yay?

Sunday:
Planned as a rest day. Considered doing a barre3 video online when I woke up, but decided not to. Got home from the baseball game and decided to run a mile or two.

Run - 3.54 miles, 45:13 minutes, 12:47 min/mi
So … clearly my 1-2 mile run turned into something a little longer… I kept changing my route during the run, but I was feeling okay enough to keep going. Clearly. Since this pace was faster than it should have been in summer heat.

Baseball Game - Somerset Patriots (Atlantic League) - game #6 of the summer. The game was in NJ so my dad picked me up at the apartment on the way … so I got to sleep in. Yay! Game was okay, but I was just distracted with some stuff so I wasn’t really into it.

The End.

Week In Review: July 1st - July 7th

Monday:
barre3 - Afternoon class with Bri because I had too much to do in the morning. I think this class was okay. Went easy on my shoulder early, but it felt okay, so I started to push it a little more and it was fine.

Tuesday:
Run - 4.62 miles, 58:45 minutes, 12:43 min/mi
I was supposed to do 3 minutes at 1 mi pace, but since that was when I was running on the north end of Times Square … it didn’t really happen. Overall a decently good run, though.

Wednesday:
barre3 - New (to me) teacher, Connie. Started off doing things I hadn’t done early in classes before and that threw me off and I felt very out of place for the first time in a while. But I eventually adjusted and it was a good class. Used 5lb weights for the first time, and I didn’t struggle too much, which was good.

Thursday:
IMG_1744.JPG
Baseball - Williamsport Crosscutters! It was a 3.5-4 hour drive each way, but it really wasn’t too bad. This was a new to us stadium, and it was small but nice. I took advantage of Thirsty Thursday and tried the local beer … it was called Captain Drinkable and it was exactly that. Good, but not the best beer I’ve ever had. I gave it a 4.5 on Untapp’d because it was exactly what I needed just then, but it was probably really closer to a 4.
I was hoping we’d be able to sneak in an hour at the World of Little League Museum while we were in town, but we didn’t have time. Oh well.

Friday:
Woke up early to run, but was tired and went back to sleep. Definitely the right decision. I needed the sleep.

Saturday:
Rest day!

Sunday:
Woke up early to run but fell back asleep, and since I had to be at a family thing early-ish, I didn't have time to run. Thought about doing an online barre3 video after baseball, but the timing just didn't work.
Baseball - Staten Island Yankees! Saw my favorite mascot, Scooter the Holy Cow. Baby Yankees lost. Sigh. Also, I wore short sleeves because I had been hot at my family thing in the morning, and I was freezing. Weather was mid-70's. I think you know now why I'm always wearing long sleeves. Apparently I'm cold in any weather that isn't triple digits.

IMG_1756.JPG

Anyway...
For those of you keeping track, I haven't run since Tuesday and haven't done any exercise at all since Wednesday. I'm still at the house, heading back first thing tomorrow AM ... so the plan is to run as soon as I get back to the apartment. We'll see how that goes. I'm honestly not all that bothered by the fact that I haven't been exercising (I'm more bothered by the fact that I'm eating like a bottomless pit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter