5 Nights At Cabana or 3 Nights Royal Pacific - July - 2 Adults

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
Here’s the story – DH and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary the last week in July. We have grandparents lined up for the week to watch our daughter, and we need to settle on a vacation destination. Originally planning for something more relaxing like Savannah, we have really been thinking about how we are not really laid back vacationers. We are used to being on the go! That is where Universal came to mind. We love Disney, but now that we have our little girl, it’s a place we have reserved to go as a family, plus we just went there last October so looking for something a little different.

The budget needs to stay on the slimmer side, which can present a problem of course. When I originally priced Universal, I really wanted the Express Pass, so I priced Royal pacific. But that was too pricey for a week. Coming from Kentucky, I don’t really want to make the drive to Orlando for just three nights, so I got to thinking…

We can do a 5 night stay at Cabana Cay with 2 park a day tickets (for 5 days – we are not interested in Volcano Bay) for $1555. Or we can do 3 nights/2 day 2 Park tickets at Royal Pacific for $1831. My thoughts are this:

We are not Harry Potter people by nature, but would like to see it. I’m thinking one morning we see one, another morning we see another. Not being diehard fans, I think this would be sufficient leaving us 3 more mornings to hit the other rides as early as possible. Without the express pass, I know we are doomed to wait in lines, but is it like Disney in the sense that the earlier you get there, the better off you are? I was thinking that even if we went from opening till noon every day, took a nap, used the pool, and maybe back to the parks or even if not, maybe just explore Orlando (being Disney people, we haven’t really spent much time doing other things) And without having our little girl with us, waiting in lines (while still boring and hot!) isn’t as bothersome.

Any thoughts? The $1500 suits our budget better, as we still need food during this outing! But if something automatically comes to mind that I am not thinking of, please share!

RPR is a fantastic resort, but 5 nights is always better than 3 nights in my book.

How does one night at RPR and three nights at CB work out? Since it's the end of July, it would be really nice having express. Also, thought CB is an excellent hotel for the cost, RPR is a definite step up. THis way, you would have the best of both worlds.

Thank you so much for your ideas! Kohlby, I love the idea of a bit of a split stay to maximize our options! I'm pricing that out now.

OP Have never found the packages to be cost effective

Are you pricing out the hotel & tix separately?

If you don't care re HP, perhaps the one park day would help the budget? Wouldn't be able to ride the train back & forth though

RPH one night = 2 day FOTL perk. Suggest the last night(s) of trip so you don't feel as though you are down-grading if a split trip.

I have not priced them out separately - do you go through Universal for both or do you use an outside source for the tickets when you do that?

Have you looked at the price of an annual pass? If you are talking about getting a 5 day ticket the price difference may be very small. An annual pass often will get you some pretty good discounts on the hotel rooms.

If it were me on a romantic adult only trip I'd do royal pacific. I think the atmosphere is a little better, express pass for adults will be a TON of fun-seriously it feels so VIP to not really stand in line (there is a line but really 5-10 minutes for me feels like walk on), and it just feels like more of a relax and lounge of the 2 resorts.

That said, look into annual pass room discounts (plug APH into promotion code on Loews.com), look into split stays to get EP for part of the trip (you get it check in and check out day), and look at undercover tourist for ticket deals. Not only have I found it cheaper to book seperately, but you can also make changes to your room up to I think 3 days before your stay at no charge- including canceling which can be a big savings if needed.

I have not priced them out separately - do you go through Universal for both or do you use an outside source for the tickets when you do that?

As Damo described

You might look @ orbits/cheaptickets. The usual discount code doesn't apply but rate might be lower/you can earn points on orbitz' frequent booker program. You will have to pay upfront but cancellable as to terms on their site.

The end of July is busy. Did you look @ APH rates? You can see on the website without having one. The difference between upgrading one tix may work in your favor.

Weekdays tend to be far less expensive @ the resorts barring holidays/special events btw.

I'd be surprised if the trip doesn't come out more cost effective paying the components separately.

Plus there is far more flexibility as to modifying the reservation vs a package without any fees.

DW and I are staying at Cabana Bay for 5 nights in Sept. We too did the Pro/Con evaluation with RPR. In the end, we decided we didn't need EP since we're going in Sept, and CB looks like so much fun. CB's food options looks more appealing for our dining style also. We got 3 day P-P tickets from UT. We'll enjoy the pools, tour the resorts and City Walk on our non-park times. Should be a great time for us. Best of luck in your decision process.

You all have been wonderful in your help!

Peabody58 - I am jealous! September/October is my favorite time to travel, but my daughter starts back to school in August and my parents are very much willing to keep her during the summer (at their house, in the country, with a pool, with cousins, etc), But were a little more hesitant to spend a week at my house during the school year and juggle homework, after school activities, etc. So since they are willing for summer, we are dealing with what we have to work with :)

I'm afraid this make get tomatoes thrown at me :) But for the sake of discussion - being's we are not Harry Potter people by nature... how important is staying at a US hotel? We will have a car and I'm noticing offsite hotels with lesser rates and I don't think we would necessarily mind driving - but we never use a car at Disney so I'm hesitant. Also, over dinner last night, DH thought 5 days at US might be too much? I didn't know. I was thinking taking it slow, go in the mornings and evenings, etc. I can't imagine saying you are bored with any orlando theme park, but for the veterans, is 5 days a bit much?

Oh and I guess I should clarify. If we chose to keep the budget as low as possible and were staying at CB, comparing that to offsite it Harry Potter wasn't crucial.

You all have been wonderful in your help!

Peabody58 - I am jealous! September/October is my favorite time to travel, but my daughter starts back to school in August and my parents are very much willing to keep her during the summer (at their house, in the country, with a pool, with cousins, etc), But were a little more hesitant to spend a week at my house during the school year and juggle homework, after school activities, etc. So since they are willing for summer, we are dealing with what we have to work with :)

I'm afraid this make get tomatoes thrown at me :) But for the sake of discussion - being's we are not Harry Potter people by nature... how important is staying at a US hotel? We will have a car and I'm noticing offsite hotels with lesser rates and I don't think we would necessarily mind driving - but we never use a car at Disney so I'm hesitant. Also, over dinner last night, DH thought 5 days at US might be too much? I didn't know. I was thinking taking it slow, go in the mornings and evenings, etc. I can't imagine saying you are bored with any orlando theme park, but for the veterans, is 5 days a bit much?

Staying offsite isn't terrible at all, but onsite makes it a little more immersive, realaxing, and ultra easy in my opinion. Driving makes it seem like more of a chore to get up, get there, and then harder to take breaks (again that might be just me though). You can easily accomplish everything in 3 days even taking it slow (withEP we usually take breaks, wander around, sit down meals, and still see everything multiple times).

That might be a way to break your trip up- 2 days at RP which gives you 3 days of EP and then 2 days offsite checking out Orlando...

Remember, you can always buy express passes if needed.

My family and I are staying at CB in sept/oct for two weeks and we figured we didn't need EP.

We stayed off site last year at the same time and had a two week pass. Remember, if you stay off site you will need to pay at least 20 dollars for parking. I know parking at CB is 12, so you would pay 40 dollars extra for this five night stay, if you go to the Universal area every day. Make sure you add that to your calculation.

Staying at a non Universal hotel was all right, you will definitely get by. But it is a little bit of a hassle, it takes time to get into the parking garage etc. In my mind, time is the most valuable thing while on vacation. So I am always willing to spend a little extra to save time. Last year I didn't know how much my daughter and I love the Universal area. But now I know, so I'm staying at an on site Hotel. It also allows you guys to get some drinks at Citywalk, not having to worry about driving home!

About the lines, I have found out that early in the morning and then later in the day, the lines get shorter. Last year we did all rides often, and we never waited that long. But that was September. I have also done Christmas crowds at UO/IOA and what I have learned is that if you are flexible, you can easily avoid the lines.

I would think that going early to HP world with you EE passes and then hitting some rides right after 9 until maybe lunch, going back to CB to chill and come back to the park around 4-5 pm, should give you time to hit all the rides and not a lot of waiting time. It also gives you guys some time out of the parks for the hottest time of day, saves energy and helps you relax.

Now, I do not know the difference between the hotels, my career as a frequent Universal visitor is just beginning. Last year my then 6 year old daughter announced that she hated princesses and love Harry Potter. Since then we did 2 weeks in Universal Orlando and also visited Universal Los Angles earlier this year. Traveling from the Northern part of Europe.

It really depends on you. We just stayed at CB, had a great time thought it was very relaxing and easy to get back and forth to the parks, enjoyed being that close. We did 1/2 day on our first day and then 2 full days and by the 4th day, after 2 hours in the parks, the kids asked if we could leave. They really weren't all that excited to head back to the parks that day at all, said they had done everything they wanted to do. And they/we are huge HP fans! Yet there are people on this board who can spend weeks there and not be bored. So its more about what you like. Do you love to re-ride things? Or is once or twice enough?

Honestly, if you have the right mindset you'll have a great vacation no matter where you choose to stay.

The last week of July will be hot and crowded

Stay onsite and you won't be rushed for driving in early and miss the downtime of parking in the garage

All onsite hotels have early entry one hour before the parks are open to the general public

If there during a weekend, stay at one of the 3 deluxe one night

Your hotel card is coded for you to have unlimited usage of all express lines for rides and shows for check in day and the day you check out

The cost for a one night stay well worth it for free ep of two days

Check out early and have your luggage held at the hotel
Switch to Cbay that evening
Your luggage will be held for you at no charge

Play with the numbers to find the cheapest rate for one night at the deluxe

You will still come out ahead and avoid long waits for shows and rides

I find no advantage to staying onsite at Disney. Their transportation is terrible and unless you are staying at a few select parks, you still need to take the bus. As long as you can get your fastpasses that you want with only the 30 day window, you're good.

With Universal, I find staying onsite to be huge. You actually are ON SITE and can walk. In the summer, proximity to the parks is huge. We never do full days, we just wander around and do as we please, when we please and it makes summer touring very enjoyable.

Staying offsite really takes away from enjoyment at Universal, I find. I would follow Mac's advice and stay at least one night at Royal Pacific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!