50's Prime Time Cafe

V.B.

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone :).

I have seen different reviews online about how much fun 50's Prime Time Cafe was and also loved the idea of the 'homecooked' style of meals (we're not very adventurous eaters). So, had planned to eat there, but I read some reviews recently about how they cast members have changed and no longer interact/tease with the customers. So, I'm just wondering if those of you who have eaten there lately could give me an honest review of how your meal (and experience) was and if you think it was worth it. Thanks!

We ate there last fall. The food was very good. The CMs ate our table and all of them at surounding tables has none of the interaction that you expect. Nothing different than any other restaurant.
Others may have had a different experience. Left disappointed as I expected so much more, and never saw it.

I picked 50sPTC for our April 2018 trip partially because the menu wasn't too adventurous for picky eaters. I copied and pasted the below from a thread I responded to previously......

"We ate at 50's Prime Time for the first time in April - 2 boys, 11 and 15, were with us. Everyone enjoyed their meal, which we kicked off with yummy onion rings. DS11 has already asked if we can eat there next trip (2020). I think the boys thought the decor was cool. We were lucky to have a great server. Quinn was energetic and the perfect amount of pushy, but with a positive edge. When DS15 ordered a milkshake as his drink, she quickly quipped that milkshakes are for dessert, after one finishes their meal....but, of course, brought it right away anyway.

ETA - going in I was a little leery of what would happen if a CM tried to make my kids eat all the veggies on their plates. They got fries instead of veggies, so potential crisis averted. For what it's worth, my green beans were delicious."

Had lunch there 2 months ago. Our server was great. We told her we had not been there for 8 years. She informed us that things had been toned down. I guess some people can’t take a joke.

We informed her we could. It was great. I was yelled at twice. Loved it and the pot roast was great. DW and I both received “Clean Plate Club” stickers.

I guess it depends on the CM working. Two weeks ago for lunch, they were backed up and there was very little interaction. Food was still excellent.

We went there about 25 years ago, when I was a teenager, and it was such a great time, I still remember it to this day. We've taken our kids their a few times in recent years, and it is not nearly as memorable. They still have some antics, but nothing like it was.

We ate there last fall. The food was very good. The CMs ate our table and all of them at surounding tables has none of the interaction that you expect. Nothing different than any other restaurant.
Others may have had a different experience. Left disappointed as I expected so much more, and never saw it.
This was my experience as well. The food was good and the server was lovely, but there were no antics at all.

When I went last year we had a server who threw some nice "test punches" to see how they would land, my father in law had a field day.

ETA: The food was MUCH better than I was expecting.

We ate there last fall as well. Zero interaction and the food was ok. My husband did not like his, but it was not what I had anticipated. Left disappointed. Only positive about the meal was that it poured down rain while inside dining, and when we came out the park had cleared. TSMM and AS walk ons, and SDD a 20 minute wait. While waiting to be seated at the restaurant I was able to snag fps for ToT right before the Fantasmic show.

We ate at 50's Prime Time a couple of weeks ago (May-2019). The server had good interaction with us and other tables. The menu has changed from our earlier visits; collared greens were not on the menu with fried chicken. We still look forward to dining there on future visits.

We had dinner there last June and it was great as always. The 10 year old has already requested a lunch one day and a dinner one day on her birthday trip. While we were there was a family sitting across from us with a preteen/teen son. He was on his phone non stop not doing anything but surfing. The waiter "borrowed" my 18 year old daughter and went to his table and then when the kid looked up he took the phone and said "This is a girl don't be scared there are a lot around" His family about died laughing and so did we. Two trips ago I did not eat the green beans (they had bacon in them). When the waitress asked me why I wasn't eating I told her I was her Jewish cousin. She took the plate and came back with a small bowl of corn and told me to eat I knew the rules. I really love the place.

We had lunch there in February. Our server as well as the other one in the section we were in definitely were in character and playing along. Our server actually sat down at the extra chair at our table and complained about our "cousins" for several minutes while she took our order, and she kept teasing the table next to us who had a lot of kids about starting their own baseball team to compete at the next family reunion. The food was as fantastic as always, my DH and I both love the pot roast and fried chicken, and we cannot wait to go back on our next trip next year. We were actually talking about how much we love their food just last night while discussing where we would be eating for that trip.

I was there in Feb with a group who hadn't been there in a few years. We were all disappointed that the servers have really toned down the fun. A little bit here and there but I guess some people were made uncomfortable so they are cautious. The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

Greens have been dropped across the entire resort. I miss them at 50's Prime Time and at French Quarter. That I understand; if people aren't ordering greens it makes sense to stop offering that dish. The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few.

I was disappointed since our waiter was toned down. My son purposely put his elbows on the table (he is 11) and our waiter told him to take his elbows off but you could tell his heart was not into it.
He tried with the table next to us but they were not having any antics so he did not try after that.

My DH was disappointed in the size of the meatloaf. It was a very tiny piece.

Love 50’s and visit every trip. Was there 2 weeks ago but sat at the bar so no antics. The food was excellent though. In November 2018 we had a great server and great meal there with our kids. The server made my son “eat his green beans” and it was a memory we’ll all keep. Hoping they continue with the fun!

We were there last July, dinner. Our server and the server for the table next to us were great - "no elbows on the table", "eat your veggies", complaining about the cousins, etc. We were two families, with two girls 9 & 12, both girls thought the servers were sooo funny (and they were). The food was good as well & the girls loved having milkshakes with dinner. Hope we have the same experience this summer.

We eat at 50's PTC every trip. I love their food, and there's something for all of us to enjoy. That being said, in about 10 trips, we've never had a "fun" server. Tables around us always do, but we don't. I don't know if we give off a vibe or what, but we try to mess around and get nothing. We've had them throw straws at our table, but that's not what I want. I want sass. Most of the time, we get good servers, but I want antics.
The last time we were there, our server was so amazing, nice, well-mannered, polite. He belonged at V&A IMHO. He was too cordial for 50's. I've witnessed servers feeding patrons their veggies, I've seen them make kids stand in the middle of the dining room and sing for their dinner.
We've been told a few times to keep our elbows off the table and no screens at the table, but nothing fun. I even stuffed myself one time so I could get a clean plate sticker (the table next to us, with the same server, got them), but I got nothing.
We'll keep going with hopes of silly antics, but we're happy enough with just the amazing food.

It really does depend on the server. We eat at 50's at least twice a trip. It is one of our favorites and we can often get a same day reservation and it is reasonably priced IMO. Many times we get some good interaction and sometimes great interactions. We had one server two trips in a row that I wouldn't want for a regular restaurant. He just doesn't seem to enjoy the job and is very dour in our opinion. We specifically asked not to be in his section the next few trips, but now I cannot remember his name. I am bringing my 12 year old niece with me this time and want her to have a great experience, so I am going to make sure to ask at check-in for a fun-loving cousin and see if that helps.

I've witnessed servers feeding patrons their veggies, I've seen them make kids stand in the middle of the dining room and sing for their dinner.
It is disappointing to witness fun being had by some cousins and not be the recipient of any of the hi-jinks. We have had a few disappointing dinners at times.

It is disappointing to witness fun being had by some cousins and not be the recipient of any of the hi-jinks. We have had a few disappointing dinners at times.
I agree. We had our 7 and 5 year olds with us and nothing. I figured the server would at least play around with the kids, but nothing. We were with another party who was separated from us, in another room altogether. They had no interaction either. My friend had told me about it and I was super excited for the kids. It was a let down. The food wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. As I said before my DH didn't like his, but I could have enjoyed an ok meal if the interaction had been great. Being as we got the same treatment by 2 different servers in 2 different rooms entirely, I would not plan a return meal there, even on the off chance of getting a great server.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter