50th Wedding Anniversary

TMJJS

Earning My Ears
Need help planning something special for my parents celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. It is October 28th and my family is flying into Orlando to surprise my parents and meet up with my only brother's family.

Obviously the surprise of us coming in from the Chicago area will be nice for them, but my brother and I are trying to figure out something "special" and memorable to do on Saturday. Because of school, we are coming in Friday night and leaving Sunday, so basically 1 day!

We thought a backstage tour of WDW would be great, but the "keys" tour is only for 16 years and older, while the other tour of Magic Kingdom and Epcot starts at 11 years old. We have one child 10 years old and then teenagers, but only 2 of the 5 children are over 16.

Questions:
1) If we could get the 10 year old into the 11 and up tour that is 7 hours and $275+ per person, is it worth it? Is it 3x better than the Keys tour?

2) Is there a way to get a private group tour and/or a tour guide for the day? Anyone actually done it and have opinions?

3) What would be the most memorable restaurant for dinner?

4) Any other ideas or suggestions on what to do that day to make is special and memorable for 7 adults and 4 children ranging in age from 10-71?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/replies.

PS - is there another thread this could be in for responses?

Congratulations to your parents!!!

One of my favorite "special" things we did as a family was a pontoon boat on the Seven Seas Lagoon to watch Wishes Fireworks show.
It was so much fun for our family. We had dinner at O'hana in The Polynesian, then the boat picked us up at the Marina right there.
I believe the cost was $300 (2014) it came with soda and water and snacks. We had a very nice Captain we enjoyed talking with.
We were 6 adults and 2 kids.

Have Fun!
Need help planning something special for my parents celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. It is October 28th and my family is flying into Orlando to surprise my parents and meet up with my only brother's family.

Obviously the surprise of us coming in from the Chicago area will be nice for them, but my brother and I are trying to figure out something "special" and memorable to do on Saturday. Because of school, we are coming in Friday night and leaving Sunday, so basically 1 day!

We thought a backstage tour of WDW would be great, but the "keys" tour is only for 16 years and older, while the other tour of Magic Kingdom and Epcot starts at 11 years old. We have one child 10 years old and then teenagers, but only 2 of the 5 children are over 16.

Questions:
1) If we could get the 10 year old into the 11 and up tour that is 7 hours and $275+ per person, is it worth it? Is it 3x better than the Keys tour?

2) Is there a way to get a private group tour and/or a tour guide for the day? Anyone actually done it and have opinions?

3) What would be the most memorable restaurant for dinner?

4) Any other ideas or suggestions on what to do that day to make is special and memorable for 7 adults and 4 children ranging in age from 10-71?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/replies.

PS - is there another thread this could be in for responses?

You could arrange a private fireworks dessert party for your group for either Illuminations or Fantasmic. You can add a ride mix-in to either of those parties and get a private ride on Soarin or ToT or many other rides.

See this thread for details.

We did a 50th and 60th anniversary trip with the in laws. For the 60th, i found a picture of their their wedding cake and had a replica done and served at Narcoossee's. It was fabulous. It was way to big for the 20 of us but the look on their faces was priceless. I had a small sign made with "60 yrs of I do's"...... After we took a fireworks cruise with a few of us and some champagne. Everyday I had something either ordered to their room or brought to them at the restaurants. We did do some shirts with 50th Wedding Anniversary on them also but didn't do it for the 60th. The other thing we did was order covers to go over the magic bands. Moms said "Bride for 60 yrs", Dads said "Groom for 60 yrs", the rest of had " Xxxx 60th Anniversary" (Xxxx was our last name).

We did a 50th and 60th anniversary trip with the in laws. For the 60th, i found a picture of their their wedding cake and had a replica done and served at Narcoossee's. It was fabulous. It was way to big for the 20 of us but the look on their faces was priceless. I had a small sign made with "60 yrs of I do's"...... After we took a fireworks cruise with a few of us and some champagne. Everyday I had something either ordered to their room or brought to them at the restaurants. We did do some shirts with 50th Wedding Anniversary on them also but didn't do it for the 60th. The other thing we did was order covers to go over the magic bands. Moms said "Bride for 60 yrs", Dads said "Groom for 60 yrs", the rest of had " Xxxx 60th Anniversary" (Xxxx was our last name).

Wow, thanks! I didn't know about the magic band covers.

We are thinking about doing the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour for those in our group who are over 16 which will number 7. Does anyone know if the DVC member discount of 15% is limited? Can I buy the tickets as a member for 7 people and get the discount on all 7 tickets? I tried calling member services, but they asked for no calls except those dealing with reservations during this current Irma storm.

I agree with the pontoon boats to watch the fireworks from the MK. We did this a few years ago for our 5 year anniversary with our bridal party. We first had dinner at 'Ohana too and then we all walked outside to the marina. It was a surprise for everyone, even my DH. They take you on a nice tour of the lake and then you sit in front of the MK to watch the fireworks. Not sure how many are in your group so you might need to get 2 boats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!