55 plus Adult Active Communities in Florida Recommendations

Truthfully, I was stay away from the area. Look up the crime report with the local authorities. I'm not saying it is totally bad, but there are so many other areas in Florida to live and we were told the worst place to retire is the Orlando Kissimmee area. This was from 2 local business men, that run construction companies in Florida.

Crime/poverty in Kissimmee is pretty bad. If you watch the movie The Florida Project, it’ll give you a perspective on what life is like for those who live in motels off of 192.

Orlando has plenty of wonderful and bad areas, like any city. There are some beautiful safe neighborhoods, but they often come with a higher price. And 55+ communities aren’t common.

K Hovnanian four seasons is a place Im personally looking forward to seeing, even though it's not on the water it's close to Disney!
I just have to convince my brother and his wife, which I doubt they will be interestedin living in Kissimmee. I can dream tho!

Hey, Lynn, just saw your name there in the forum. I'm not here on the community much anymore, drop by now and then. Hope all is well with you son and grandkids. Best wishes on your move coming up in the future.

Great to 'see' you! :wave:

I’m not there yet but I would say live closer to the ocean/gulf. Inland can be brutal!

My sister lives in Ft. Myers. We toured Shell Point for my mom but she said everyone was old...um...so are you mom! She was about 75 when we did that. There were people of all ages there. It’s one of those you buy into. There were multiple pools and activities.

You can live in the houses or the apartments and then when you need it you can move into the nursing home part (never saw that).

My sister wanted my mother to move there so she could get a boat since they have boat slips!

Oh and again back to avoiding inland-when we were there in April, we drove to key largo..nice and breeezy, warm breezy, then riveria Beach (west palm), again balmy. On the way home we cut across the state and actually got out somewhere in the middle and it was over 90*, no breeze and hot. My 17 year old that complained my sisters house was cold...85 and a gulf breeze said it was too hot for her.

Good luck with your move. I would look at multiple places/areas.

Hey, Lynn, just saw your name there in the forum. I'm not here on the community much anymore, drop by now and then. Hope all is well with you son and grandkids. Best wishes on your move coming up in the future.

Great to 'see' you! :wave:

Thanks so much Dan, I'm looking forward to our trip to DW this summer with all of them. The youngest grandson will turn 1 while we are there there. The older two grandsons are 2 & 5... I can't wait!

Great hearing from you, do you have any trips planned?

DH & I are excited to move to Florida, we will have to coordinate a DIS meet after all these years!!

We live in Solivita from October to late April. http://www.avhomesinc.com/communities/solivita/ We chose it due to a short drive to visit Mickey and we like to stay away from the coasts due to the hurricanes. It's an hour and a half to either coast. We had friends that lived in The Villages and visit them often as it's nice there too, but further away from Mickey.

Hi Don,
Can ya shoot me a pm? We are interested in Solivita. Thanks Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!