5k on CC

RobinVanellope

Mouseketeer
Howdy~
I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but I'm a year from a DCL and have never run a 5k. I thought my first could be on CC. It's a goal to keep me running, so I can tell all my friends I'm in "training". Lol.
I've started running about a month ago and i am up to 3 miles about 3-4 times a week. Any tips, suggestions, or things I should know about the CC 5K?
Thanks and cheers.

It's not quite a 5K. It's HOT. hot hot hot. You have to go around the loop twice (some forget the second time around), and you go the SAME direction around each way (suddenly not remembering which way but they'll tell you). It's hot. Wear sunscreen and sunglasses and a hat.

You can take all your beach stuff off with you and stash it in the unlocked box at the start/finish line, or send it with family as they find a lounger. Or you can go do your run then go back to the ship, get cleaned up in a civilized fashion, sunscreen-up, put on your swimsuit, and head on back out.

It's not quite a 5K. It's HOT. hot hot hot. You have to go around the loop twice (some forget the second time around), and you go the SAME direction around each way (suddenly not remembering which way but they'll tell you). It's hot. Wear sunscreen and sunglasses and a hat.

You can take all your beach stuff off with you and stash it in the unlocked box at the start/finish line, or send it with family as they find a lounger. Or you can go do your run then go back to the ship, get cleaned up in a civilized fashion, sunscreen-up, put on your swimsuit, and head on back out.
Great info thanks.
Hi Robin, my first 5K was also CC5K and it was awesome. Highly recommend!
Coolio ! I'm excited.

I agree. It's hot. Very hot. I agree about the same direction (clockwise) which bothers me to no end so I've run it in reverse on the way back in the past. There's a water stop outside of the loop that you can hit twice if necessary but if you have a water bottle you can fill up on the boat I would recommend that.

Below is a course map:
CastawayCay5K_map.jpg

Have you gathered that it's hot during this race? :)

Make sure you drink a lot of water in the days leading up to the race, and be ready to possibly slow your pace down to deal with the heat and humidity - the loop in the map above is particularly tough because it's totally enclosed by trees, so there's not a lot of airflow.

Make sure you drink a lot of water in the days leading up to the race, and be ready to possibly slow your pace down to deal with the heat and humidity - the loop in the map above is particularly tough because it's totally enclosed by trees, so there's not a lot of airflow.
You would think it would provide shade but I feel like it doesn't. Or at least that's how I remember it in my nightmares.

This was my first 5K too. I remember being annoyed that it took so long getting everyone from the ship to the starting line. Wasn't a huge big deal but the longer it was taking the hotter it was getting. It's a fun race, lots of runners and families walking. Have fun!

You would think it would provide shade but I feel like it doesn't. Or at least that's how I remember it in my nightmares.

Lol...you're right, there was no shade in the loop. There were sections where the trees were a bit overgrown so there was a sliver of shade so I would run to that side and then the other side, just to get some reprieve. Think I ran more than 5k by doing that.

Like others have said, it is HOT. By the time everyone checked in and walked to the start line, it was 8:50am.
Bring a bottle of water, hat and sunscreen.

I agree. It's hot. Very hot. I agree about the same direction (clockwise) which bothers me to no end so I've run it in reverse on the way back in the past. There's a water stop outside of the loop that you can hit twice if necessary but if you have a water bottle you can fill up on the boat I would recommend that.

Below is a course map:
CastawayCay5K_map.jpg
Wow - thanks for the map. And all the info.

Have you gathered that it's hot during this race? :)

So, is it hot? Lol. Thanks for the advice. :)

Oh, oh. Nightmares? Too funny. But I figure it's a good goal for me to get in shape for the cruise. Thanks.

Oh, oh. Nightmares? Too funny. But I figure it's a good goal for me to get in shape for the cruise. Thanks.
Yeah, in my nightmares I am running around that loop but there's no exit and no shade and no water stop (because the water stop is outside the loop) and we keep running into people running in both directions so I'm not even sure we're running the right way.

Seriously though, you'll have a great time.

Lol...you're right, there was no shade in the loop. There were sections where the trees were a bit overgrown so there was a sliver of shade so I would run to that side and then the other side, just to get some reprieve. Think I ran more than 5k by doing that.
Okay. That's how I remember it too. Glad I wasn't imagining it.

Last edited:
Yeah, in my nightmares I am running around that loop but there's no exit and no shade and no water stop (because the water stop is outside the loop) and we keep running into people running in both directions so I'm not even sure we're running the right way.

Seriously though, you'll have a great time.

Okay. That's how I remember it to. Glad I wasn't imagining it.
That's hilarious. Cant wait. Lol

I will say, during our itinerary in mid-October, it was not that hot or humid, and there was a nice breeze. A nice surprise!

Foliage is too short and the sun is too high. Not a lot of shade.

I will say, during our itinerary in mid-October, it was not that hot or humid, and there was a nice breeze. A nice surprise!

1,000,000% not my October experience. :). Later that day got a sunburn on my left hip that too. A year to fade.

Not my February experience either.

January 2015 yes, but that was the paid real-5k after marathon weekend when we docked at midnight and had the run before the whole ship was cleared, so we started in the glorious dark. I didn't realize until too late that they were also running the free one (on the "actually 5k" course) later.

Ohhhh well then I'm not sure. Maybe check the forecast on your Navigators and if it is going to be hotter than you would like for a run, skip it? You would still have a blast on Castaway Cay regardless.
I know but this is my goal to get in shape, one year away. I might shuffle instead of run. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter