5k on CC

I know but this is my goal to get in shape, one year away. I might shuffle instead of run. Lol

I support you in whatever you choose. I know for myself that a Disney connection was motivational for in deciding to attempt a 5k, but a Disney Cruise is a big investment and it is important that you enjoy it as much as you can and if a hot humid 5K would take away from that....I would skip it. It's free, so you wouldn't lose any money by not participating. There is no wrong way to Disney vacation as long as you enjoy it as much as possible. :cloud9:

1,000,000% not my October experience. :). Later that day got a sunburn on my left hip that too. A year to fade.

Not my February experience either.

January 2015 yes, but that was the paid real-5k after marathon weekend when we docked at midnight and had the run before the whole ship was cleared, so we started in the glorious dark. I didn't realize until too late that they were also running the free one (on the "actually 5k" course) later.

I'm sorry your first couple CC5K's were hot. Third try seems to have been the charm?! Though not free, the CC5K Challenge medals are much fancier than free ones' from what I've seen. :)

Okay, so 2 of the 4 times I have run the CC5K were in July...once was in late June. I pulled my Garmin data and here's what it says for weather:

July 2014: 86 degrees (feels like 99), 79% humidity
June 2015: 84 degrees (feels like 94), 79% humidity
July 2016: 88 degrees (feels like 105), 79% humidity

How was the humidity exactly the same every time?? HMM... :scratchin

A couple of times I did feel pretty fried and cut my Castaway Cay day short afterward. It's absolutely a great goal, and the medallions are really nice (especially being free!), but the conditions are just really tough. If they didn't give out the medallions, I probably wouldn't do it. :) Like I said before, drink TONS of water, slow your pace down and find shade where you can!

If you are up to 3 miles 3-4 times a week, and you have a year to train, CC will NOT be a problem at all! This past May was my first 5K (the CC5K)- I always hated running, but took it up in Jan as part of my weight loss program (about 90 lbs over the past year)- I worked my way up to about 45 mins on the elliptical, and figured I'd give running another shot. Anyway, I have really enjoyed it, and it is helping me toward my ultimate goal of 100 lbs lost. By the time I hit the Island, I was doing 4 miles about 4 times a week, often going up as much as 6-7 miles. My point is that, if you keep working from where you are, in a year, 3.1 will not be anything to you. My biggest concerns were the heat and the fact that I would be on pavement (all of my running had been in the gym on the treadmill). The pavement was fine- make sure to get yourself GOOD running shoes- this has been a lifesaver for me and my legs. On the heat- yes, it is hot, but frankly, it is "only" a 5K and if you're jogging at any type of pace, it should only be about 30-40 minutes. As long as you stay hydrated, you'll be fine. Again, you have almost a full year! Keep with it, and you'll kill it.

In retrospect, I think the biggest problem that I personally had was that the CC day was at the end of the week and I had (literally) put on about 15 lbs during that week (despite using the treadmill 2 or 3 times during the week- I just love to eat and was going to enjoy myself while on the cruise). I just finished my first 10K (Peachtree Road Race) and am now working towards my first half marathon (Disney Half Marathon in Jan 2018) but I'll always remember that run on the Island as where I really started...

Foliage is too short and the sun is too high. Not a lot of shade.

1,000,000% not my October experience. :). Later that day got a sunburn on my left hip that too. A year to fade.

Not my February experience either.

January 2015 yes, but that was the paid real-5k after marathon weekend when we docked at midnight and had the run before the whole ship was cleared, so we started in the glorious dark. I didn't realize until too late that they were also running the free one (on the "actually 5k" course) later.
Whoa!!!

Okay, so 2 of the 4 times I have run the CC5K were in July...once was in late June. I pulled my Garmin data and here's what it says for weather:

July 2014: 86 degrees (feels like 99), 79% humidity
June 2015: 84 degrees (feels like 94), 79% humidity
July 2016: 88 degrees (feels like 105), 79% humidity

How was the humidity exactly the same every time?? HMM... :scratchin

A couple of times I did feel pretty fried and cut my Castaway Cay day short afterward. It's absolutely a great goal, and the medallions are really nice (especially being free!), but the conditions are just really tough. If they didn't give out the medallions, I probably wouldn't do it. :) Like I said before, drink TONS of water, slow your pace down and find shade where you can!
Very valuable advice. That really is weird with humidity. I'm from Michigan and it gets pretty gosh darn humid here, about 83% right now. Well, I feel like I already committed in my brain, so I'm doing it. THANK YOU!!!!

If you are up to 3 miles 3-4 times a week, and you have a year to train, CC will NOT be a problem at all! This past May was my first 5K (the CC5K)- I always hated running, but took it up in Jan as part of my weight loss program (about 90 lbs over the past year)- I worked my way up to about 45 mins on the elliptical, and figured I'd give running another shot. Anyway, I have really enjoyed it, and it is helping me toward my ultimate goal of 100 lbs lost. By the time I hit the Island, I was doing 4 miles about 4 times a week, often going up as much as 6-7 miles. My point is that, if you keep working from where you are, in a year, 3.1 will not be anything to you. My biggest concerns were the heat and the fact that I would be on pavement (all of my running had been in the gym on the treadmill). The pavement was fine- make sure to get yourself GOOD running shoes- this has been a lifesaver for me and my legs. On the heat- yes, it is hot, but frankly, it is "only" a 5K and if you're jogging at any type of pace, it should only be about 30-40 minutes. As long as you stay hydrated, you'll be fine. Again, you have almost a full year! Keep with it, and you'll kill it.

In retrospect, I think the biggest problem that I personally had was that the CC day was at the end of the week and I had (literally) put on about 15 lbs during that week (despite using the treadmill 2 or 3 times during the week- I just love to eat and was going to enjoy myself while on the cruise). I just finished my first 10K (Peachtree Road Race) and am now working towards my first half marathon (Disney Half Marathon in Jan 2018) but I'll always remember that run on the Island as where I really started...
Wow! Congrats on your weight loss. You look great. I really appreciate all this information. And, yes, I have very good shoes, I went to Run Detroit, where they worked with me for the perfect fit. I'll probably go through a couple more pair before my "big run." Hopefully, one day I will do a 10 k, as well. Congrats, again and thanks.

I support you in whatever you choose. I know for myself that a Disney connection was motivational for in deciding to attempt a 5k, but a Disney Cruise is a big investment and it is important that you enjoy it as much as you can and if a hot humid 5K would take away from that....I would skip it. It's free, so you wouldn't lose any money by not participating. There is no wrong way to Disney vacation as long as you enjoy it as much as possible. :cloud9:
Thanks, I appreciate your concern. I will keep that in mind.

Very valuable advice. That really is weird with humidity. I'm from Michigan and it gets pretty gosh darn humid here, about 83% right now. Well, I feel like I already committed in my brain, so I'm doing it. THANK YOU!!!!
Yeah, I totally don't want to seem like I'm trying to talk anyone out of it at all. The first time I went on a DCL cruise, I was dead set on doing the CC5K and remember someone was just railing on it, and I was SO annoyed because I'd been looking forward to it!

I totally think you'll be fine, especially with your current running schedule, FWIW - I'm from Ohio, so probably pretty similar conditions to what you are experiencing. The weather during the CC5K was such a shock to me!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter