6:50AM departure flight

I’m glad leaving earlier works for you - but I really don’t want to leave 30 min earlier - getting up at 4 instead of 4:30 is probably more than I think I can ask of daughter who is not a morning person and even me who IS a morning person for this particular trip. I would much rather have a decent sleep before boarding the ship which may mean drive the 4 hours to MIA leaving at 6:30 as we had previously planned (based on the original cruise critic recommendations before the suggestion of a flight as an option).

That's what we would do. I HATE flying on a cruise day, totally stresses me out. Just drive, then you can relax once on the ship! Sure, you can run into traffic, but you have much more control if driving there vs flying (late flight, miss the flight, who knows what)

Have fun!

Not to try to sidetrack this tread, but I came on to start a tread about what time to leave for MCO with a 7:00am flight (on Friday morning the last week in March)--and I discovered that people already have so many opinions! lol

We're just trying to decide whether it's worth it to pay for a Lyft/Uber and at what time to do that versus taking the Magical Express. We're checking bags (flying Southwest), and part of me was hoping that there was someway to use Disney's RAC service, even if this meant giving them our bags the day before.

Thoughts?

Not to try to sidetrack this tread, but I came on to start a tread about what time to leave for MCO with a 7:00am flight (on Friday morning the last week in March)--and I discovered that people already have so many opinions! lol

We're just trying to decide whether it's worth it to pay for a Lyft/Uber and at what time to do that versus taking the Magical Express. We're checking bags (flying Southwest), and part of me was hoping that there was someway to use Disney's RAC service, even if this meant giving them our bags the day before.

Thoughts?
You can not use RAC service. You're not allowed to check bags the day before and the day of doesn't give you enough time. So bags go with you.

DME will pick you up between 3:45a-4:15a (time assigned to you will be between those times).

I would want to be dropped off at MCO pretty close to 2 hours before the flight, especially if checking bags. Some feel that's too much time. So, assuming 40 minute travel time, I'd want to be picked up about 4:20. What I would do is book DME, wait and see what time I'm assigned for pickup, and then decide if Uber/Lyft will let me have another 30 minutes of sleep.

You can not use RAC service. You're not allowed to check bags the day before and the day of doesn't give you enough time. So bags go with you.

DME will pick you up between 3:45a-4:15a (time assigned to you will be between those times).

I would want to be dropped off at MCO pretty close to 2 hours before the flight, especially if checking bags. Some feel that's too much time. So, assuming 40 minute travel time, I'd want to be picked up about 4:20. What I would do is book DME, wait and see what time I'm assigned for pickup, and then decide if Uber/Lyft will let me have another 30 minutes of sleep.

Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear about RAC, but what I figured. I like the idea of playing the Uber/Lyft vs Magical Express decision by ear based on the time assigned. If we end up getting assigned a 3:30-3:45 time, we will probably pay because that is horribly early, but after 4am, we should probably suck it up and save the money. It's no fun thinking about going home before we get there!

Thanks! Not what I wanted to hear about RAC, but what I figured. I like the idea of playing the Uber/Lyft vs Magical Express decision by ear based on the time assigned. If we end up getting assigned a 3:30-3:45 time, we will probably pay because that is horribly early, but after 4am, we should probably suck it up and save the money. It's no fun thinking about going home before we get there!

Waiting to see is a good approach - you can always get the Uber/Lift and it will be able to drop you right at the departures curb!

If you return your rental car at port, are you flying home from Miami?

We flew into MCO in January, and my kid wanted to spend a few days at Universal before our Miami cruise. Did the math, and cheaper to fly in and out of MCO, rent car for whole time, drive back and forth to Miami, and paid to keep rental car in the port parking garage. Was great. Took about 4 ish hours both ways, and I have a Sun Pass, so used the turnpike, was way faster than 95. We did stop both ways in Port St. L.'s rest stop, for a pit stop and some gas. Was not a bad ride. We left Universal around 8 that Saturday morning, and arrived at the port just after noon. On the way back, we left around 9, and were eating lunch at Disney Springs by 1:30. We had an 8:30 night flight back, so we went to Universal, we both have passes that include free parking. And spent the rest of the day there, leaving around 6 and got to the airport without issue, quick.

So, while you can fly, do the math, and see what is best for you. I'd hate to have such an early flight, then drive to the port. I'd be really tired. But don't blame you if you want to cut out some of the driving.

I would consider still driving and do half the drive Saturday evening after your park day. Pack one small overnight for the family. Stay at an inexpensive hotel along the way (Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Expres) then do the rest in the morning. There are plenty of downtown Miami rental car desks so no need to drop at an airport. You could drop all of your party and luggage at the port then send one adult back to return the rental car without having the burden of luggage.

Not sure who you were referring to? We were assigned a 3:55 time and we decided that—although it was really early—it was much easier not to stress and just to go with it. We figured we saved the money and mental stress of dealing with it at the end of our trip, in exchange for 30-45 minutes of sleep.

I hope everyone made decisions that worked for their families and had a good trip!

Not sure who you were referring to? We were assigned a 3:55 time and we decided that—although it was really early—it was much easier not to stress and just to go with it. We figured we saved the money and mental stress of dealing with it at the end of our trip, in exchange for 30-45 minutes of sleep.

I hope everyone made decisions that worked for their families and had a good trip!

Yesterday was our cruise embarkation and in the end we opted to drive - and it was SOOOO easy! I will not hesitate to do it again!

We left AoA at 6:15 (left our room at 6 but stopped at food court because we had forgotten pressed penny money earlier). Our original ETA was 9:27 at the car return. We made a 12 min stop at Fort Drum pitstop and had about 15 min added for increased volume as it got later in the ride.

We arrived at rental car return at 9:52! Headed up the elevator to the shuttle that would take us to Port. Shuttle was unloading when we arrived. By 10:22 we were departing for the port and arrived at a terminal A around 10:45.

Yesterday was our cruise embarkation and in the end we opted to drive - and it was SOOOO easy! I will not hesitate to do it again!

We left AoA at 6:15 (left our room at 6 but stopped at food court because we had forgotten pressed penny money earlier). Our original ETA was 9:27 at the car return. We made a 12 min stop at Fort Drum pitstop and had about 15 min added for increased volume as it got later in the ride.

We arrived at rental car return at 9:52! Headed up the elevator to the shuttle that would take us to Port. Shuttle was unloading when we arrived. By 10:22 we were departing for the port and arrived at a terminal A around 10:45.
I usually drive, so was glad to see that you chose that method. I have flown from FLL to MCO very early. It worked out well and I would do it again. But because I usually have a car if I'm in the FLL area, it's a no brainer. Of course, it's a miserably boring drive!!

I truly think that the TSA at the Orlando airport just does not give a crap. Numerous times we have been in line and they wanted to spread out the line and started roping people around to new areas causing those that got there first to now be behind those that just got there. Once we were in being snaked around in the line for 45 minutes. All this time I kept watching people who had just got there go through before us. I truly hate them. We do not have this issue at my home airport, the line is the line. First come, first served.

I had that problem at MCO last year. It was nuts that people who arrived significantly after me were through security 30 minutes before me. Took over an hour for my friend and I to get through security. We asked about moving to one of the other lines and were informed we were assigned to our line and could not moved. Was so mad that I went home and insisted on getting TSA PreCheck. I was not doing that nonsense again at security. My last 2 trips security has now been a dream thanks to my PreCheck.

And thanks for confirmation on DME - that conservative drive time is why we started renting a car years ago...getting picked up at 3:50

I recommend taking Magical Express to the airport. Since you don't like their early pick-up, give them a flight time that is one hour after your real flight time. Works for us. We do have TSA Pre-Check, though. If you like to speed through the airport with minimal time to spare, you really should get Pre-Check. It's good for 5 years and is a lot cheaper than a rental car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter