6 Week Old on Dining Reservations?

PrincessJen09

DIS Veteran
Hi! My family is heading down for Christmas in Disney. Yay! There will be 6 adults and 3 infants, ages 2 years old, 8 months, and about 5-6 weeks. I am currently trying to make dining reservations and I can find a lot of what we want for 8, but have only found 1 for 9 people. The 5-6 week old will be held or a baby sling the entire time. He will not take up an extra seat at the table. I know that he should be counted for fire code reasons, but is there a way to note him on the account or reservation? I know the system is looking for tables and it keeps searching for 9 adults, which is obviously more difficult to accommodate 6 adults and 3 infants. Any advice? I have found a lot of information for older infants who will need a high chair or booster, but not any for a baby so young. Thanks!

Last edited:
Every human needs to be included.
Does not matter if they will not eat or even take up a seat.
Its also needed for fire code/max capacity.
You can try to call and see if the newborn can just be noted and make your ADR's by phone but it may or may not work.
BTW you said 3 adults and 3 infants but then mention 8-9 people on an ADR?

Every human needs to be included.
Does not matter if they will not eat or even take up a seat.
Its also needed for fire code/max capacity.
I know that about counting everyone. That is why I wondered if a note or something could be added, so that the system can find the correct table, but they still have the right now. Because right now, the system is searching for space for 9 adults and that is not what I need.

Also, I have had several cast members tell both to include him and to not include him, which makes this even more confusing and frustrating.

I know that about counting everyone. That is why I wondered if a note or something could be added, so that the system can find the correct table, but they still have the right now. Because right now, the system is searching for space for 9 adults and that is not what I need.

Also, I have had several cast members tell both to include him and to not include him, which makes this even more confusing and frustrating.

Book an ADR for 8 and an ADR for 2. The baby needs to be included in the ADR count. The CM's will try to seat you together, if at all possible. Be aware that you might be separated even if you found the ADR for 9.

Still missing how there are 9 when your description is for 6

You need the reservation for 9. Not sure I would take an infant to flu and germ central...

You need a ADR for 9 humans, size of said persons is irrelevant. Since you are going during one of the busiest weeks of the year are Disney restaurants will be operating at full capacity much of the time. Showing up with 9 people for a reservation made for 8 could lead to your group being turned away or in for an extended wait for a table large enough for your party.

We are going in early December, not over Christmas itself.

I said there are 6 adults. I said that the reservations I was making were for 8 people.

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

Are you willing to risk being turned down at the podium? if you do, go ahead and make the 8 people ADR the worst that can happen is that you will be not dining with your group. On a personal experience I had a 6 people lunch reservation for Sci-fi and because of last minute change of plans we where a party of 7, I checked in and ask them if there was a problem in adding my 2 year old to the ADR. They had no problems and we got the car table that seats facing forward. It is not the rule but I can happen, although I was already prepared to leave my toddler with Dad who was already having lunch at a counter service place next door. Don’t stress over and be realistic on the decision you make. Good luck!

We are going in early December, not over Christmas itself.

I said there are 6 adults. I said that the reservations I was making were for 8 people.

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

If you made reservations for 8 people but actually have 9 in your party including the baby you still may run into problems at restaurants. Going from 8 to 9 means a different size table since they will not allow a partynof 9, even if the 9th person is an infant, sit at a table designed for 8 people. Be prepared at each ADR to be possibly turned away or told that there is an extended wait for a larger table.

The infant will be 6 months, so will not be able to take another seat. He will be held. We would still be at a table for 8, hence my dilemma.

Thank you for updating your post. The original version said 3 adults.

There was one spot where I had put 3 adults instead of 6 adults. The rest of the post stated the correct number. Reading an entire post is helpful when replying.

The infant will be 6 months, so will not be able to take another seat. He will be held. We would still be at a table for 8, hence my dilemma.
Having 9 humans, regardless of age or where they plan on sitting, means you must be seated at a table that seats 9. Doesn’t matter one bit if you plan on holding the baby the entire evening per fire code there must be a spot at the table for that infant. December is a busy month with holidays and free dining - if you want to be assured that your party will be seated in its entirety make your ADRs for 9.

There was one spot where I had put 3 adults instead of 6 adults. The rest of the post stated the correct number. Reading an entire post is helpful when replying.

I did read it many times and scratched my head. I was hung up on maybe the kid count was wrong?

You also have your infant listed as 6 months old rather 5-6 weeks in a later post :flower1:

No.....you will be nine, and your baby willl simply not be using a seat. The restaurant CM's cannot discount any person, so no matter how the child is seated or in this case, not seated, your party is nine people.

I knwo this is not what you want to hear, however the restaurants are busy during December. If you do not believe me, check out the dining page and try to make reservationsfor your date at the tiem you wnat to dine. That circumstance is only going to increase as we get closer toyour date, so If you are not willing to take chances, adjust your your party number. You can book another ADR for 2 to be sure every one is counted. If you choose to ignore the advice and try to enter with 9 on an ADR for 8 you may get lucky...or you may not. In the end it is up to you if you want to add stress to your vacation, or if you want to just adjust. As I pointed out, no matter one ADR or 2, the restaurant may break your party up into two tables anyway so I find it better to just be prepared. It has happened to us.

I have seen parties turned away or given long wait times when they arrive with an infant not on the reservation. The infant has to be counted due to fire codes/ occupancy laws.

There are times it’s less of an issue because the restaurant may only have a table for 8 but not be at or approaching capacity but that’s a gamble and that’s why there may be “success stories” of this working for people (you have no way of knowing how many tables for 4 are filled by parties of 3 for example).

I would try splitting the ADR if you’re not finding a table for 10, and call to let them know you’d like to be seated together or at least adjacent, and that one of the party is a held infant. They will try to accommodate you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!