$7.00 missing from room left on counter

I get how this would be disappointing, but I would probably assume the best intentions. I don't think the housekeeper intended anything wrong. Honestly, if I were the housekeeper, I probably would have thought the money was for me too. I have stayed at Disney resorts that did turndown service; we were expecting it and left 2 tips a day. It sounds like you may not have realized they were coming later in the day. I guess you live and learn. I'm glad the manager refunded the money; that was nice.

Thank you cruising spud.
Your reply really helped me destress.
When I noticed the missing money my trust in Disney went way down. I felt violated and did not realize $7.00 would be thought of a tip for changing the garbage. That value is $2 or $3 to me and only if I requested the service. I learned the garbage change is part of Disney's daily room inspection
t
I can understand you may have been surprised but your trust in Disney is now gone? Tips are generally left out for service, and your mousekeeper provided a service, and believed that the money was meant to be taken. The fact that you were not aware of the garbage change during room inspection is on you. It has been common knowledge for years. Nothing was stolen, it was a miscommunication of sorts. So let’s be fair, you learned a $4 or $5 lesson.

You know, you learn something new every day. For some reason, I have always thought the bed was the traditional spot to leave a money tip for Housekeeping and I assumed the table, regardless of whether it's the table by the door or wherever it is situated, is for personal belongings for the guest.

I guess I just figured that the table would not be a place a housekeeper would "tidy" up as again, it would likely include personal effects of the guest such as souvenirs or receipts or in my case, I keep my medications and vitamins there. But a bed is something you know the housekeeper will tidy up, so I have always left my tips there.

I have, in more recent years ordered cute little mousekeeping envelopes people sell on Etsy as well, and left them on the bed.

But in general, I would never leave anything such as money or wallets or identification, ect. anywhere in the room other than the safe. If it's too valuable, lock it up. I guess, after reading the whole thread, I do see a certain logic with leaving a tip on the table as well, but I like to use the table for other things and think it's better to leave it on the bed in an envelope.

You would think, in this day and age, with so many payments being digital, such as paypal or google/apple pay, ect. they would have come up with some sort of way to tip Housekeeping digitally. I mean, so many things have changed that way, we even enter our rooms digitally, so why not that? And I understand it is different people everyday who turn down the room but you would think if anyone could come up with a digital way to do it, it would be Disney. Like an option at check-in to set aside a certain amount of money for Housekeeping that they then see to it goes to the proper staff who clean your room each day.

You would think, in this day and age, with so many payments being digital, such as paypal or google/apple pay, ect. they would have come up with some sort of way to tip Housekeeping digitally. I mean, so many things have changed that way, we even enter our rooms digitally, so why not that? And I understand it is different people everyday who turn down the room but you would think if anyone could come up with a digital way to do it, it would be Disney. Like an option at check-in to set aside a certain amount of money for Housekeeping that they then see to it goes to the proper staff who clean your room each day.
This won't happen because Disney, (the company), does not consider Housekeeping a tipped position.

And if you've been on the Dis for a while, you'd know that most tip housekeeping but if there was ever a hint of Housekeeping asking for a tip, there'd be no tip given.

One should never leave valuables out in a hotel room. That's a basic rule (for years) when traveling and staying at any hotel or resort. Any money left on a table or counter would indicate it's left for housekeeping; whether it's on day one or ten. I personally can't find fault if housekeeping took the money. It's 7 dollars!! These rooms cost a fortune and we are pointing out that $7 was taken? I'm really bothered by this thread being created and I hope it's closed soon.

It’s from September, it died a natural death back then but was brought back to life a few weeks ago. There’s no reason for it to be closed.
You are correct that this thread had died back month's ago. But to me that means it should be closed. The old saying "beating a dead horse" comes to mind.

Start a new thread and rehash the same ‘discussion’ about room checks or resurrect a slightly older thread and do the same - sort of six of one, half dozen of the other, the way I see it. I don’t really like closing threads unless it’s truly old/outdated or people are argumentative/uncivil and won’t get back on track (which has occasionally happened on threads on this topic).

Personally I do prefer new threads vs resurrecting an old thread as it can confuse people who start replying to year+ old posts or posters that don’t come around anymore, but that’s just my preference - no real rules on the topic or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter