7/31 discussion on multiple ADRs - what Disney told me...

BobNoxious

Mr. Planner
After I had made my ADRs, I called back a few days later and added a couple more ADRs for 2 of the same nights (because I did not know what park I would be at), and the Disney Dining Reservation person saw I had another reservation at the same night, and asked if that was accurate. She said she would have to cancel that. She said she would not be able to take two around the same time on the same night, and if she did that the "system" would cancel the first ADR made, assuming the latest one is the correct one. '

I don't know, but, I hope she is. I think there are alot of people who make multiple ADR's at the same time. That prevents others from securing ADR's. It doesn't help me plan for my Christmas vacation if you cancel your ADR a few days prior to the actual date.

I realize you might not know where you'll be on that day, however, I think this is a good move by Disney. We almost need to plan our days by where our ADR's are made, assuming you couldn't secure the ADR you wanted for a particular day.

I hope I haven't offended you with my reply.

Peace out :rolleyes1

nope. no offense. I was actually editting my reply thinking the same thing. I experienced a lot of trouble planning out my ADRs (5 months in advance... darnit!) and I understand. For the record I only have 1 adr per night.

I agree. everyone should have 1 ADR per night... and if you change your plans... cancel that ADR.

I think that planning around food is insane. It's food people! Yes, some is better than others. But it's kind of a trivial thing to plan around, don't you think?

For some of us the food is important. Planning around the food is fun for us. We've been to WDW dozens of times now and have decided to no longer commando park tour and concentrate on eating at all the different restaurants at WDW at least once. So to each his own. Some people plan around the rides they are going to go on, what hotel to stay in and yes some of us plan around the food we are going to eat.

I think that's a good move. Of course, I'm sure people will still find a way around it, like making ADRs in different names or something.

We do our planning around our ADRs as well. If we want to eat in Epcot on a particular day, then that becomes our Epcot park day. Makes sense to me!

I think that planning around food is insane. It's food people! Yes, some is better than others. But it's kind of a trivial thing to plan around, don't you think?

Everybody is different, and if you are one of those people who don't care where they will eat then so be it.
What I personally do not understand is what do you plan around? Attractions? I know I like to have a bit of a plan on what to see and do when. But when it comes down to I can get on any ride I choose, not everyone can get in any restaurant they choose!

Dining is important to me, so I plan around it. It's not important to you, so you don't. I don't see a problem!

More of what I meant was that it's slightly...I really can't come up with a good word to describe it, at least that couldn't be taken as insulting. I'm just saying that if you plan everything around where your ADR's are, and you plan your ADR's 6 months in advance, you end up at Magic Kingdom on the first day because you planned to eat at Crystal Palace, when you really were in the mood to go to Epcot to ride Test Track.

I have stated in the podcast that I think it's really bad form to "double book" ADRs when we all know how hard some of them are to secure.

That being said...we also have to keep in mind that everyone has their own "agenda" or plan when visiting WDW. To some...their attraction "plan of attack" is what's important....to others, dining in the restaurant of their choice is equally important.

When recording our podcast, we try to keep all of that in mind and offer something for all points of view. As one of these threads shows, we have listeners from all over and we are thrilled to have them.

We have to keep an open mind when discussing topics such as this and realize that each visitor's situation is unique and just as important to them as yours is to you.

Thanks for keeping this thread friendly.:cool1:

Kevin

Tink, the problem with that is if you don't make your ADRs 6 months in advance, you won't get any at all.

For me its part of the fun. I love mapping out where to go and what to do each day. Of course it gets altered when you get there sometimes, but a general framework makes things easier. Especially when you have a big group.

More of what I meant was that it's slightly...For lack of a better word, pathetic. And I don't mean that to be insulting. I'm just saying that if you plan everything around where your ADR's are, and you plan your ADR's 6 months in advance, you end up at Magic Kingdom on the first day because you planned to eat at Crystal Palace, when you really were in the mood to go to Epcot to ride Test Track.

Okay so lets reverse it......I have an ADR for LeCellier but I am in the mood to ride Rockin Rollercoaster. Why on earth wouldn't I ride later or tomorrow rather then get stuck eating the crappy counter service at MGM.

BTW, I think many of us plan ahead of time (considering park hours, show times, etc.) of what park will would like to be in when. That, much of the time, dictates where we will make our ADR's. Not the other way around.

I don't PLAN around the food, but I plan my parks, then make the ADRs around the parks. Unfortunately Disney makes this a task I need to do several months in advance ... since the only way to get at a table in dinner time (for us 5:30-7:00pm) at a restaurant we like (at the park I planned first)! So... I am planning my PARKS several months in advance, then my restaurants, then my ADRs are called in, then I go to the park... hopefully I knew SEVERAL MONTHS in advance which park I wanted to be at each night around dinner time... This is why some people make 2 ADRs (not me!!). One at one park, one at another... for those spur of the moment changes like you suggest (but still being able to sit down and eat dinner with your family).

With one ADR (which I am fine with) for dinner... that kinda means you are locked into that park. (if you want a sit-down dinner at dinner-time, of course) What if I planned months in advance to be at MK on night 4, and I know that my family wants to EAT a meal for dinner (not a corn-dog counter service).. so I schedule a dinner 6 months out... for that night at THAT park. now, if someone says "hey Dad, instead of MK, can we all go to Epcot tonight instead". This sounds great! However, with only 1 ADR at 1 park , that would involve cancelling the dinner reservation (which is pretty easy to do), and TRYING to get food during DINNER hour at a SIT down table meal.

That is why some of us plan this out. That is why some hurt the system by making multiple ADRs. I will stick with one ADR per night. If everyone did this, the system may work better.

I think its great some of you DON'T PLAN your ADRs, that means I get to eat were you will not be that night. :lmao:

Ok folks.....please let's keep this friendly.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and to voice. Let's just keep it out of the "personal attack" area.

Thanks,
Kevin

Good for disney making ADR's v2.0, they don't want people to be messing up their system too by making them keep a table empty for a group which isn't going to turn up. I also agree that once you have gone to a place many times, its fun to think about other things than attractions, including restaurants which can be an attraction within themselves.

As for myself, on our trip, we will be spontanious, we aren't particularly bothered if we don't get into a sit down restaurant in a park (even though it would be nice) and since we won't know where we're going til the night before, no ADRs for us (also as we booked the actual trip only in may, the thought that ADRs would be no longer available helped too)

PS, V. grateful to those who cancel their ADRs. TIA to them.

The planning your food around the parks concept makes more sense to me. Personally, locking yourself into your meal 6 months in advance when you don't even know for a fact where you will be doesn't make sense. Planning in advance, yes, but I'd plan the parks first and then the food.

One thing to say and that's yay for park hoppers!

If we decide to go to a different park, we can always hop over for our dinner later on. Granted, I took EMH and everything else into consideration while booking our ADR's, but things don't always go as planned.

I'm a slave to my stove, and it isn't very often we go out to eat, so in Disney of all places, we'd like to enjoy some great dinners, that I DIDN'T have to cook myself.
If that means I have to plan 6 months in advance of where we will be eating, so be it. I'd rather be set in stone at a table service then be stuck trying to find decent counter service food any night.

So DF thought I was a little batty waking up to make reservations at a restraunt we wouldn't be seeing for a while? He'll enjoy it when we get our tasty foodstuffs, and tell me how great it is I planned everything out and he didn't have to worry about a thing.:rolleyes1

^^Yes, decent counterservice, without a line that you'll be in for hours, is soooo hard to find at 6-7 at night.

A good Disney Trip does require a lot of planning but for those occassions when you might want to be in 1 park with an ADR in another, isn't that what park hopper passes are meant for?

21 days and counting for our umpteenth visit.

A good Disney Trip does require a lot of planning but for those occassions when you might want to be in 1 park with an ADR in another, isn't that what park hopper passes are meant for?

Yup. That takes care of the rides... now what to do when your fam of 4 wants dinner (and you pre-paid for DDP which includes a sit down dinner), but no reservation in the other park. This is why some try and make 2 ADRs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter