7 days at Universal

We did a week at the Royal Pacific during the holidays last year and had a lovely time. We did a day at SeaWorld, had 5 days park tickets at Universal and then on our last day went to Disney Springs and then to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We really enjoyed Universal but I have to say for us 5 days of park tickets was just too much. The fourth day was sort of extraneous and the fifth was just plain unnecessary. Perhaps if we were a little less commando about it all

Awesome...thanks for your help! This is so weird since we are so used to prepping for Disney. Even though we love Disney, it will be nice not having to plan everyday.
That reduced planning is one of the major advantages for my family at Universal. It definitely contributes to an overall more relaxing time at UO. I mean, we love Disney, but UO is definitely an easier trip.
And 7 days is NOT too long, imho. We have been going each year and stay that long - we are never bored.
I also recommend Volcano Bay if you like water parks.

We went last may for 7 days, it was my parents, myself and my 15 yo son. We didn't have a car so never left property and none of us were board and my parents don't ride the rides...they love the shows and just the atmosphere at Universal. If you all love the rides and like to take it easy, I think you will find 7 days is a great amount of time. As others have said there is a lot to do to keep you busy, but also very relaxing as you don't have to rush from one thing to the next. With the boats it's easy to pop from one resort to the next to enjoy what they have to offer, so could spend a day just pool hopping if you wanted a day out of the parks. I hope you have an amazing time with your family!

Hi Everyone! love this discussion as we did 8 days in June last year (2018) and planning another 8 in February. Crushed that the parks close so early in February. It was adjustment to us coming from WDW that they closed @ 9pm in June. I can't even remember a 10pm closing that week.
While I think 8 days will be great considering the early close, I'm wondering how we stay busy at night. Kind of a night owl. Kids 15-12-9, City Walk is fun but do the resort pools stay open late and is reasonable to think we can swim the first week of February?

I'm wondering how we stay busy at night. Kind of a night owl. Kids 15-12-9, City Walk is fun but do the resort pools stay open late and is reasonable to think we can swim the first week of February?

Citywalk will definitely be available late - movies, mini-golf, restaurants...

Swimming is hit or miss in Feb, but most of the times we've gone then, we have been able to swim. I don't remember the exact hours, but it should be on the individual resorts' websites.

Check for activities at your resort as well.

Hi Everyone! love this discussion as we did 8 days in June last year (2018) and planning another 8 in February. Crushed that the parks close so early in February. It was adjustment to us coming from WDW that they closed @ 9pm in June. I can't even remember a 10pm closing that week.
While I think 8 days will be great considering the early close, I'm wondering how we stay busy at night. Kind of a night owl. Kids 15-12-9, City Walk is fun but do the resort pools stay open late and is reasonable to think we can swim the first week of February?
I'm wondering about the pool in February as well (although we will be mid-Feb). We rented a pool cabana in April for a day and it was a lot of fun...all 4 other members of my family mention that as the 1st or 2nd thing when we talk about returning to Universal! I am hoping maybe we will have one warm day we can do it, we might do a day at Sea World to have more things to do that time of year (I think we can get 4 of us in for free).

Also, Mardi Gras dates have been set Feb 1-Apr 2, so that could extend the entertainment a little later at least some nights.

Also, if you decide to get 4+ days of park tickets, get an annual pass. The cost difference is negligible and it comes with discounts on other things, such as on-site hotel rooms. It would also give you the flexibility to go in the parks whenever you want during your 7 day trip.

This is a GREAT idea. We finally did this last November when they offered the extension on the annual pass. We upgraded our tickets (we had the 14 day, 3 park to park tickets) to annual passes and got the extra 6 months added on. It cost us $99 each per pass (x4) to upgrade. Our tickets cost us $400 each. So basically it saved us $300 each for this year's trip, $1,200 total. That is $1,200 that I am 100% certain I would have spend again this year. Don't know about you guys, but there aren't too many areas of my family budget where I can make a cut that saves me $1,200, yet still do everything the same as I've always done.

Regarding the "is 7 days too much discussion", I can say I've done 7 days every trip. Universal is so much different than Disney. Looking back at our Disney trips, I've often wondered why I paid to stay at the Yacht Club every time as I never took the time to fully enjoy the resort. We were rope drop to close most days in one of the 4 parks. And the rare occasions that took time to hang out at the pool, I spent most of the time thinking that I was wasting my money by not maximizing my park time.
But Universal is WAY different. First, there are only 2 parks and the waterpark. So, as others have said, Universal can be a very relaxing vacation. You can enjoy the resort amenities (we stay at the HRH because it is so close to the CW and both parks) and not worry about what you are missing at the parks. If you get bored, you can always uber to Disney Springs or as others mentioned, Sea World (highly recommended), Busch Gardens, or even NASA.

So, IMO, as long as you aren't looking for the sensory overload that a Disney vacation can be (and I'm not knocking Disney here, I love Disney, just don't find it relaxing), 7 days at Universal is absolutely not too much time to spend there. But if you want rope drop to close park time, 7 days will be way too much.

I'm going for ten days in September and did it last year too. I am planning to go Seaworld, Discovery Cove and Disney Springs this year but with one of those days I'll probably still attend HHN in the evening. I'd definitely recommend Volcano Bay and possibly Aquatica if you need another waterpark to go to. Universal is far more relaxing than Disney so as long as you go at that pace you'll enjoy it but I do think having a few other places to visit helps. Although I am feeling kinda overwhelmed with the thought of full park/waterpark days and HHN on top of that so we'll see.

Having a hotel/relax day is always nice especially by the pool and you can pool hop too at Universal hotels (apart from Endless Summer). Honestly I think the reason they are opening a brand new park is to make it more of a holiday destination rather than an added trip for many who come to Orlando but there's plenty of us that already make it our priority. It's just nice to have some added extras to make the most of being in the area.

I'll second Discovery Cove (surprised it's only gotten one mention). We tend to do Universal trips over 5 days. We try to include Discovery Cove as it's a wonderful way to spend one of those days (all you can drink and eat in a secluded oasis!). We could spend all day in the Aviary. Once we started going to Universal on a regular basis we stopped going to WDW in favor of DLR as it is a very similar experience as Universal Orlando (in that there is minimal planning required, and Maxpass puts Fastpass+ to shame).

But, as others have said, with Express Pass you have so much more flexibility with how you can spend your time. Late starts, casual meals, pool days all on a whim is what makes Universal Orlando Resort so great!

We have three teenagers, and have been going to Universal since our kids were younger than yours are now. Seven days would not be too much for our family- we always do a split stay between a premier hotel (for Express Passes) and Cabana Bay (easy access to Volcano Bay). Now that our kids are older (and much larger), cramming all five of us in a room for 7 days would be a bit much, but the split stay helps to make it work. We love Disney, but we have not been back since we started going to Universal 8 years ago.

We just 5 days and easily could have done more. We spent more afternoons at pool and then went back to close down parks.

One day we went over and just did the water rides over and over and then came back.

We did volcano bay one evening and LOVED it. There is truly no other water park like it.

I even ran out time to explore some of the other hotels. We just were having to much fun to interrupt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter