7 days in parks, how many masks?

penel3

Disney World Addict since 1994
This question is for the people who have been since re-opening. We will be spending 7 days in the parks first week of September, let’s figure RD to close each day. How many masks per person should I bring for the week? How many should I bring each day. I have re-usable masks that I can wash, but will need to hang to dry.
:cool1:8 more days!!!!:tiptoe:

The family and I went to Universal in July. We ended up using one mask per day. Some used re-usable ones, one per day, some used disposable, one per day. I carried a few extra disposable in my pocket each day just in case someone lost their mask.

We did 1 reusable mask per person each day. We brought disposables and an extra cloth mask/person into the parks with us just in case, but never needed to use them. We had a 2 week trip, did laundry during the middle of the stay.

I used 2 reusable per day. When they get wet it starts to really irritate your skin. Being able to change out and put on a dry one made all the difference. we had laundry facilities, but I imagine if you just let them dry out overnight you'd be fine. They really didn't get that gross - more wet from rain and rides then sweat. YMMV

Lots of variables to consider. As someone who works outside in the heat and has to speak a lot while doing it I can tell you that the surgical style masks will very quickly develop a soggy spot in the middle where your mouth is. Other variables will be how much you sweat, how tight you have the mask to your mouth and how heavy you breathe. I change my disposable mask every 60-90mins as the soggy spot starts to disintegrate and allows the layers to thin out. When wearing masks that are reusable, I swap them out every few hours if need be so they are comfortable and place them in a sealed ziplock then rotate others in. I have about 25 reusable masks and a few hundred surgical ones on hand. Haven't been to Disney post COVID so cannot attest to that, I am sure there will be less talking to create some of the issues I encounter but then again heat and humidity will be higher so that may be a push.

i read someone trip report and she was at Epcot for 8 hours and went through 3 mask. Its really hard to say so plan to carry a few spare ones for everyone in your party.

We brought 2 reusable masks for each person and would wash them in the sink at night and they would be mostly dry by morning. Touched them up with the hairdryer In the morning and was good to go.

I took some homemade cotton ones and about two extras into the parks on any given day. I highly recommend a cotton mask because they're least likely to chafe which is a problem in the humidity. I wore my cotton one all day most days and had one for each day. I took the paper ones as backup but only used them once or twice. People will say to change them after restaurants and relaxation times and I get that. But honestly I just put them outside down on the table (yucky side down was the phrase) and was just fine putting them on again. Yes, they get super hot during the day. Bring spares for this, as many as you think you will need. A couple FYIs from a recent trip:
  • Security does check bags because of metal nose pieces
  • Don't underestimate meal times and relaxation stations and use them as a break spot often
  • Hydrate often with free water
  • Noe pieces do cause headaches because of the pinch so take some ibuprofen or Tylenol in advance in the mornings
  • Don't be the person in line with it off your nose, if its not on your mouth and nose it's not on
  • Don't run to lines, the masks are a little hard to breathe through sometimes
  • If you need to eat or drink in line, pull the mask up and put it back down again. Don't take it off and put it back on again or leave it on your chin
  • Try to avoid stagnant air or outdoor line queues (i.e. Runaway Railway, Thunder Mountain) in the heat of the day, everything is soooo hot
  • find the sweet spot on your nose before going to put your sunglasses on prior to your vacation. It's helpful for sunglasses and ride glasses (i.e. TSM, FOP)
  • Train yourself to get used to masks. Wear them outside for a few hours a day or go for a walk in them. It doesn't compare but it does help.

I took some homemade cotton ones and about two extras into the parks on any given day. I highly recommend a cotton mask because they're least likely to chafe which is a problem in the humidity. I wore my cotton one all day most days and had one for each day. I took the paper ones as backup but only used them once or twice. People will say to change them after restaurants and relaxation times and I get that. But honestly I just put them outside down on the table (yucky side down was the phrase) and was just fine putting them on again. Yes, they get super hot during the day. Bring spares for this, as many as you think you will need. A couple FYIs from a recent trip:
  • Security does check bags because of metal nose pieces
  • Don't underestimate meal times and relaxation stations and use them as a break spot often
  • Hydrate often with free water
  • Noe pieces do cause headaches because of the pinch so take some ibuprofen or Tylenol in advance in the mornings
  • Don't be the person in line with it off your nose, if its not on your mouth and nose it's not on
  • Don't run to lines, the masks are a little hard to breathe through sometimes
  • If you need to eat or drink in line, pull the mask up and put it back down again. Don't take it off and put it back on again or leave it on your chin
  • Try to avoid stagnant air or outdoor line queues (i.e. Runaway Railway, Thunder Mountain) in the heat of the day, everything is soooo hot
  • find the sweet spot on your nose before going to put your sunglasses on prior to your vacation. It's helpful for sunglasses and ride glasses (i.e. TSM, FOP)
  • Train yourself to get used to masks. Wear them outside for a few hours a day or go for a walk in them. It doesn't compare but it does help.
Thank you for that information!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!