7 days of fun - what would you do??

Eldon Ahmu

FanBoy
Hey All,
My young family are planning our first Disney Vacation to Walt Disney World. We will be staying at a deluxe resort for 7 nights which means I need to decide how we will plan our 7 park days.

With a family of 2 Adults and 3 Kids (ages: 5, 4, 1) for our April 2020 trip

How would you break up the parks?

For example, based on my internet research my current plan is:
2 days Magic Kingdom
2 days Disney Hollywood Studios (this incl Galaxy's Edge)
1 day Animal Kingdom
1 day Either or Water Park
1 day Epcot

A few assumptions,

-1 park per day, wont be doing any park hoping only because maybe might be too much travel for the little ones in 1 day, my opinion but I could be swayed either way..

- I tried to visit all the main parks/attractions, unfortunately run out of time to see it all.

- Not sure if we try make time to visit places like ESPN World any other attractions not on our list?? Maybe we should plan half days to hit all the good family stuff..

- My wife and I are more then happy to plan our holiday towards what the kids will enjoy most, so we are not too worried about what we do

- Another one of my internet research assumptions, might be easier for us to stick to 1 resort for the entire trip, at the moment our pick is Boulder Ridge, but maybe I should consider split up resort stays to be closer to attractions based on our park plans, unfortunately Im unsure of exact travel times of things so I'm open to suggestions.. Maybe 2nights stay near Magic Kingdom, then 5nights at a more central location, or maybe I'm just over thinking our vacation..lol.. and keep it simple for the little kids and me :)

If any of you Experienced Disney Families can describe what worked for you and your family, I'd love to hear any of your suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!

Hey All,
My young family are planning our first Disney Vacation to Walt Disney World. We will be staying at a deluxe resort for 7 nights which means I need to decide how we will plan our 7 park days.

2 days Magic Kingdom
1 day Animal Kingdom
1 day Epcot

A few assumptions,

-1 park per day, wont be doing any park hoping only because maybe might be too much travel for the little ones in 1 day, my opinion but I could be swayed either way..

- I tried to visit all the main parks/attractions, unfortunately run out of time to see it all.

- Not sure if we try make time to visit places like ESPN World any other attractions not on our list?? Maybe we should plan half days to hit all the good family stuff..

- My wife and I are more then happy to plan our holiday towards what the kids will enjoy most, so we are not too worried about what we do

- Another one of my internet research assumptions, might be easier for us to stick to 1 resort for the entire trip, at the moment our pick is Boulder Ridge, but maybe I should consider split up resort stays to be closer to attractions based on our park plans, unfortunately Im unsure of exact travel times of things so I'm open to suggestions.. Maybe 2nights stay near Magic Kingdom, then 5nights at a more central location, or maybe I'm just over thinking our vacation..lol.. and keep it simple for the little kids and me :)

If any of you Experienced Disney Families can describe what worked for you and your family, I'd love to hear any of your suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!

I can only share what works for my family. We do not do a split stay, and for a 1st visit with youngsters I would not consider one. I know that there is a lot to be said for proximity to any park, but I choose resorts based on the amenities I like and overall convenience. Personally, a monorail resort is pretty darn nice in terms of convenience to three parks and if the budget could absorb one, that is where I would stay. We really like the Poly as a family, but they are all nice.

You cannot do and see it all. Do not even try.

I don't think you need hoppers and I would agree that one park per day is plenty. I actually would keep one day in the middle of the trip free so you do not feel compelled to be up and out. That woudl be the day devoted to the resort, pool and perhaps some exploring.

I always check out historical hours when I begin an outline for the trip, and i subscribe to Touring Plans. I think that while the crowd calendar is not at all accurate when you look 6 months forward, it does help for a starting point, but he best feature IMO is the ability to create touring plans. They will give you a sense of space and time. WDW is huge so I htink that it is a good tool if you are not familiar with distance and timing.

I never visit anywhere but WDW parks when I am on a WDW vacation. To me, Disney will fill a week so I stick to those parks.

Thank you Nancy for your insight & family experiences

You cannot do and see it all. Do not even try.

Well said, I think I can change my thinking :)

I never considered the monorail convenience, so I'll put some more research into those resorts starting with Polynesian. Great Suggestion!

Also, just checked out TP, and yes, ill be subscribing soon. Looks worth it to me..

I would also highly consider a monorail resort. With kids that age and a stroller, the convenience can’t be beat.

I personally wouldn’t give 2 days to HS. Yes, it has a few fun things for little ones, but it is more of a half day part of us and, with GE opening, I personally feel that that (eta the “not for younger ones”) will become even more so.

I’d allow that second day, or perhaps even the water park day, to be a rest/pool/resort day- makes a big difference!

I personally wouldn’t give 2 days to HS. Yes, it has a few fun things for little ones, but it is more of a half day part of us and, with GE opening, I personally feel that that (eta the “not for younger ones”) will become even more so.

you definitely raise a good point, im convinced we will plan the 3rd or 4th day as our rest/resort day, especially after looking at all the cool things the Polynesian resort has to keep our kids busy.

Thanks!

Hey All,

2 days Magic Kingdom
1 day Animal Kingdom
1 day Epcot

A few assumptions,

Thank you in advance!!

For a first visit, especially with 3 young children, I would not recommend a split stay. What I would recommend, however, is looking at staying at a resort that has better access and is in closer proximity to the parks. BRV is gorgeous, but you only have boat service to MK (and you'll have to fold your stroller) and bus service to all of the parks (again, will have to fold your stroller and carry all of your stuff while watching 3 children). I, personally, would look at Poly (the theming is amazing, view of MK magical and you'll have monorail access to both MK and EP - no stroller folding) or BC/YC, BWI, BCV, BWV (from all of those resorts you can walk, boat without folding strollers and, soon gondola to two parks). GF also gives you monorail access and CR gives you walking access to MK and monorail to MK/EP, however, from Poly you can actually walk to TTC to pick up the EP monorail directly, making it very convenient. If you decide on an EP resort (BC/YC, BWI, BWV or BCV), I would definitely consider hoppers as it would be so convenient to simply stroll into EP at night to take in more sights, eat dinner, etc.

Even with GE, I don't think DHS warrants 2 days with small children. I also would not recommend going to a water park with 3 young children. While there are some children's play areas at the water parks, you would do better, IMHO, simply sticking to your resort pool. If you stay with BRV or move to Poly (or GF), you will have amazing children's splash pads at your disposal. ESPN WWoS is an event venue, so if there aren't tournaments, etc. happening there, there is no need to go. I also wouldn't visit DS with young children as it's basically on outdoor shopping mall. If you stay at BRV (or Poly), consider heading over to Ft. W for a visit and even go to HDDR. The WDW stables are there and the children can take a pony ride. There is also a very nice playground there and a Chip and Dale sing-a-long. Personally, I would plan 2 days MK, 1 day AK, 1 day EP and 1 day DHS. I would leave 2 days open for a possible resort day or to revisit parks you would like to see more in-depth.

I agree with what some have said above. I don't think you need 2 days at HS...especially with your kids ages, they may not be tall enough for ToT or RnR. My kids were tall enough for both and even with doing those rides and a few other things, we left HS by around 3:00. Personally I wouldn't waste my time going to ESPN but I would try to get to Disney Springs...maybe on your arrival day? A monorail resort could be convenient as well, however I have heard stories of the lines being busy to get on the monorail at the resort but maybe in April it won't be too bad. We also like having the hopper passes because it gave us the option to go wherever whenever. For instance, when we left HS by mid-afternoon, we headed to MK to ride a few rides.

Also, I agree, don't try to do it all! You will drive yourself crazy and honestly your kids won't even know what they missed. Most likely they will just be happy being at Disney.

I agree with PPs about park hopper, monorail resort and one day at HS instead of two. I would do 2 days MK (first and last day) and then inbetween do 1 day each at HS, Epcot and AK. On day 3 or 4 I would have a rest day- you could have a morning at the hotel and then possibly go to a trampoline park, other play area or Crayola experience in the afternoon. If you are on the dining plan, you may want to go to Disney Springs before checking out to spend any left over snack credits. Another thing is it may be a good idea to see how the kids react to characters before you get to the parks (either take them to an attraction near you where there will be characters or do a character meal when you arrive to get them used to the characters). ETA I would do an extra day at either MK or AK, whichever one you think your kids would prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter