7 Dwarves Mine Train (OK for Non Roller Coaster Fans??)

I'm not saying you'll like it or not, but if you've resigned yourself to trying it to encourage your son's sense of adventure, I think you'll be fine. I'm not a huge roller coaster fan myself, but I love 7DMT. My favorite thing about it is the lap restraint. There are two people in each row, and everyone has their own individual restraint that you pull down, and they fit TIGHT. You can snug yourself right in so it's much easier to brace yourself if you feel the need. It's not that I'm ever afraid of falling out of a ride, but on BTMRR (for example) I feel that I get bounced around a lot, which is hard on my back and just generally not very comfortable. None of that on 7DMT. It's smooth and relatively short, so even if you don't love it, it will be over pretty quickly. If I were you, I'd definitely give it a try. Good luck!

When is your trip? If you do give it a try, please report back. I am the same way - I will ride pirates, but I hate knowing the drop is coming. If the drop was one second longer, any steeper or faster I probably wouldn't do pirates either. I have so far chickened out on doing the 7 Dwarves Mine Train.

My trip is in December.

I don't expect to actually 'like' the ride. I'm just wondering if I could tolerate it, which based on most of these responses sounds like I should give it a try.

However, possibly to my detriment, I discussed this plan with DS. He upped the ante and said he'd do RnRc if I did Splash Mountain. We shook on it. But part of the deal was he had to go first. Thankfully I'm not going to be sick on these rides, just scared. Maybe I can scrounge an anxiety pill before we get onboard.

I definitely do not do roller coasters, or any of the thrill rides. I love 7DMT! It's fast but not stomach dropping....and it's thrilling and smooth. Nothing scary about it....just pure fun!

@jjjones325 - Did you have your trip yet? And if so, did you end up riding the mine train and what were your thoughts? My trip is in 5 days, still trying to decide if I want to ride.

Yes, was there 2nd week of December. My report:

Rode Splash Mountain first day we were there. My first ride on my 8th lifetime trip. I barely looked at any of the scenery. Concentrated on holding on and breathing. Thankfully DS and DW told me where the drops were. Had to stop at the bottom of the big hill for another boat to go, so that didn't help my fearful anticipation. Made it to the bottom, and high fived everybody. Rode it about 8 more times that trip. You can see the evolution of my riding in the photos. First photo had an agonized face with a death grip. 5th or 6th photo had one arm up. Last drop of our trip I made it with both arms up. Really surprised myself.

Surprised myself by volunteering to ride BTMR as well. I had ridden that before. Never liked it, still don't, but I found I could tolerate it okay.

Only got to ride 7DMT twice. I would ride it again. Really wasn't bad at all. Figured if I could do Splash, that one wouldn't be a problem.

I even rode Primeval Whirl for the first time as well. But, for reasons still unknown, I jumped on Expedition Everest. I **might** do it again on a later trip, but I got off the ride shaking and had to lean on a post in the gift shop. DS and DW rode again immediately, but I was shaking for a good 3 minutes after the ride.

Now, as far as the original bet with the DS11 to ride RnRC, he really didn't want to do so. Was almost in tears while waiting in line, but halfway through his first ride he yelled THIS IS AWESOME and it's now his favorite ride. See photo below for the picture at takeoff. He the one in the back yelling full throat.

For the record, I still did not ride RnRC, Tower of Terror, or Space Mountain.

Attachments

• STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_20171212_8141959000.jpeg
    STUDIO_ROCKNRCOASTERRIDE_20171212_8141959000.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
Just don't ride it at night. It seems so much more intense. For a second, I thought I had accidentally gotten on Space Mountain! Never again.

I hate roller coasters. I've been on Barnstormer and Big Thunder and once on those per trip is enough for me. I absolutely love 7DMT! During Extra Morning Magic Hours, I rode it 7 times in a row and was even able to have my hands in the air with no bracing by the 5th time that morning. I always request a front seat. If I can see that the track is going to turn or go down, then I have no problems (that's my problem on Pirates, can't see how bad it is). it's when I can't see what is coming up next that causes the problems for me. The CMs have always been accommodating letting me sit in the front. Most times I would have to wait for the next train but that was ok. I sat in the back of the train once and about got sick when I got off. Ever since then, I have always requested the front. There is one part where you go up what feels like a really big hill but the drop on the other side is not as steep and it curves which helps. The seats have you tucked in really well too so you don't feel like you are going to fall out like on Big Thunder. It is also broken up a bit so there is some turns an drops but then you slow down on the inside of the mine before where you can catch your breath before going through drops and turns again. If you can handle Pirates and Big Thunder, then it is worth doing at least once, you may surprise yourself.

Yes, was there 2nd week of December. My report:

Rode Splash Mountain first day we were there. My first ride on my 8th lifetime trip. I barely looked at any of the scenery. Concentrated on holding on and breathing. Thankfully DS and DW told me where the drops were. Had to stop at the bottom of the big hill for another boat to go, so that didn't help my fearful anticipation. Made it to the bottom, and high fived everybody. Rode it about 8 more times that trip. You can see the evolution of my riding in the photos. First photo had an agonized face with a death grip. 5th or 6th photo had one arm up. Last drop of our trip I made it with both arms up. Really surprised myself.

Surprised myself by volunteering to ride BTMR as well. I had ridden that before. Never liked it, still don't, but I found I could tolerate it okay.

Only got to ride 7DMT twice. I would ride it again. Really wasn't bad at all. Figured if I could do Splash, that one wouldn't be a problem.

I even rode Primeval Whirl for the first time as well. But, for reasons still unknown, I jumped on Expedition Everest. I **might** do it again on a later trip, but I got off the ride shaking and had to lean on a post in the gift shop. DS and DW rode again immediately, but I was shaking for a good 3 minutes after the ride.

Now, as far as the original bet with the DS11 to ride RnRC, he really didn't want to do so. Was almost in tears while waiting in line, but halfway through his first ride he yelled THIS IS AWESOME and it's now his favorite ride. See photo below for the picture at takeoff. He the one in the back yelling full throat.

For the record, I still did not ride RnRC, Tower of Terror, or Space Mountain.

Thanks for the update. I think I am leaning towards doing it, but certainly no way I could do Splash Mountain. Never given BTMRR a try either.

There is one part where you go up what feels like a really big hill but the drop on the other side is not as steep and it curves which helps.

I have watched ride videos obsessively. The part that scares me the most is the drop after you come out of the cave in the middle of the ride and goes under another part of the track - that looks like the biggest drop to me. Wonder how that drop compares to the drop in Pirates.

For what it’s worth, my husband hates roller coasters and thought 7DMT was terrible.

Thanks for the update. I think I am leaning towards doing it, but certainly no way I could do Splash Mountain. Never given BTMRR a try either.

I have watched ride videos obsessively. The part that scares me the most is the drop after you come out of the cave in the middle of the ride and goes under another part of the track - that looks like the biggest drop to me. Wonder how that drop compares to the drop in Pirates.
. The drop is about half or less of the amount you go up. It starts to curve right away so that keeps the drop from being too big. Pirates is really short but what makes it scary is you can’t see it so you don’t really know how long it is. The drop is longer than Pirates but probably close to the same degree angle of the drop. It really helps to sit in the front row. Not only can you see when and how far it will drop, but you also go first so don’t get whipped around as bad. When I sat in the back, you had all the momentum of the train in front of you so went really fast compared to if you are the first one down the drop. You start the momentum so it is slower than the back. It starts to turn about one and a half car lengths (maybe two) so you just start to go down when it turns and that is not nearly as steep as the ride up that hill. The turn as you go down helps keep the feeling of dropping at a minimum. It’s an optical illusion to trick your brain. On your way out of the mountain, it is pretty steep and goes a long way up so you assume the trip down will be the same but it is not. If you stand on the bridge by the beast’s castle on the way to BOG, there is a pretty good view of the drop (at least that’s where I think it is, it may be down a little more). That may help your visualize.

My stomach doesn't drop on SDMT. I do not love it, but I always ride it. It is smooth and I like that part.

It's funny as I don't even consider Big Thunder Mountain Run really as a roller coaster. It looks like one as you have the train on the tracks, but it's not like when you go up up up a hill slowly and then swoosh down the steep hill on the other side at full speed. It never actually does that...which is great for me as it's the big drops that stop me from riding rollercoasters (for health reasons). Big Thunder tends to do more curves and turns.

Remind me...does 7DMT have the quick acceleration down a steep hill? I did go on it with our last trip because I was able to grab a FP+ so no way was I missing it. But I was not feeling well that day so don't remember it much...except that the theming was adorable. It is in Fantasyland though so its probably one of the more tame ones. I won't ride Everest or RnRc with the big quick drops.

Op...I see from above that you've been on your trip and you in fact did make it. Sounds like you quite liked it. :-)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!