7 NIGHTS RPR.....TINSEL AND SUNSCREEN TRIP REPORT 2017

Love Kyle's watch...very nice. I laugh when I think about Tom's reaction to the sandwich and I think you should have decked that snoody women at the parade. I would have held her down! :P

Thanks Todd.......it was a bit of a special purchase so he is thrilled with it.......

Oh I tease Tom about Tabasco every chance I get......for him a joke present for Christmas.......it was a box of different strength and tastes Tabasco.......lol.......thought he would like it!! Was that nasty.........lol.......

Yes, she was a fruit loop.........they did call me Rocky the next day as I did want to reciprocate her bashing me with her backpack in some way.........polite way of saying deck her” :rotfl:

I jest of course.........have never lifted my hands to anyone........I could make an exception one day of course :scratchin

I guess these are the people that come on and complain they can’t get a table without a wait........

We’ve never waited that long for a table, and we always eat at peak times.......always been lucky that way.

Lol.......I’m so glad you liked it........oh absolutely, wouldn’t do if we all liked the same things! Life would be so dull.........::yes::

But, not my thing......but I guess if you like Fallon it’s easier to enjoy......I just can’t take to the guy at all.........I did like the Panda and the building........:D

We aren't fans of Fallon for a different reason. The lack of a proper line really causes my DS anxiety. He has Asperger's Syndrome and struggles when he isn't sure of what to do. He held it together last trip because he wanted to experience it but must have asked me a dozen times if we were waiting in the right place. Not worth it.

We aren't fans of Fallon for a different reason. The lack of a proper line really causes my DS anxiety. He has Asperger's Syndrome and struggles when he isn't sure of what to do. He held it together last trip because he wanted to experience it but must have asked me a dozen times if we were waiting in the right place. Not worth it.

It is weird that there isn’t really a line at times........we’ve been lucky both occasions we’ve walked straight on......but I can see why your son could struggle in there.........

I can't believe I've only just caught up on this report and its already almost done! It looks like you guys have had a great time so far (spare a few grumpy gills here and there), and got to have lots of quality family time! Kyle really reminds me of my cousin Kyle (who is more like a brother to me), he also has a deep love for cake - must be the name! :laughing: Can't wait to see what the last full day had in store for you! Thank you for sharing another one of your fabulous Universal adventures - I have truly learned so much and enjoy following along! :)

I can't believe I've only just caught up on this report and its already almost done! It looks like you guys have had a great time so far (spare a few grumpy gills here and there), and got to have lots of quality family time! Kyle really reminds me of my cousin Kyle (who is more like a brother to me), he also has a deep love for cake - must be the name! :laughing: Can't wait to see what the last full day had in store for you! Thank you for sharing another one of your fabulous Universal adventures - I have truly learned so much and enjoy following along! :)

:welcome: Stace..........glad to have you, even if it is nearly finished.......lol.......

We did have the best time ever! There’s something about being on vacation despite seeing one another every day......it’s just special, so we took advantage of every minute......yep, we had a blast!

Grumpy folks are everywhere.......can’t be doing with folks like that.......brush them off is our motto!

Yes, Kyle’s love of chocolate is legendary.......how lovely you have a cousin as close as a brother, folks like that are a blessing too........funny thing is I don’t really like chocolate........although over Christmas you wouldn’t believe that considering the amount of chocolate I did actually eat :rolleyes1

Last days coming up.........and Thank you for the lovely comments.......I do appreciate each and every one......:hug:

What a nice watch your son picked out. That mall looks nice!

I am going to be brave in February and ride the Mummy. I love the theming in there, Andi loves it.

We are also going to try Louis’ pizza from your review. We haven’t had the best luck with QS food at US so thanks for the review!

FRIDAY DECEMBER 8TH....................

Last full day.........

Wow a week is a short time!!! It now seems to have gone past so quickly, but at the time it didn't seem to be disappearing so fast......

Didn't look the usual blue sunny skies from our window this morning.......

i-cP9zvLC-XL.jpg

But with a slight sadness but determined to enjoy the last day we got up, showered and dressed...........it was supposed to be cooler this morning so after our usual breakfast we went back to room for our hoodies instead of suncream........although Kyle did put some on his neck as it would be exposed anyway, and he burns so easily too. Took only a few minutes.......and then we were walking to IOA.....it was cool. We did need the hoodies this morning......trying to describe cool in Florida was difficult for folks.......some had said we may need a cardigan or top, some said no we wouldn't.......but this was odd all the same.......we hoped it would warm up as the day went on.......just for us.........

So, off into IOA and it was busier than we were used to this early in the morning........it was starting to get busier into the festive season and we were glad we were here so early.......I don't think I`d want to be here any later into the month crowd wise........

We walk around to Hulk and go on that 3 times, I manage twice.......we get the front row and then we ask for the back row as it had been a while since we had done it........I prefer the front row but if we don't get the front, then the back it is.......you get slightly more airtime there but I felt my head get a little woozy so I let them go on once again while I sat it out.........we didn't take a huge amount of pictures today........we did take some, but it was always the same on our last day.....didn't really feel like it all day........

They came off and we went round to our favourite short ride......Dr Doom......we did that 3 times also......then Spider-Man........there was actually a 20 minute wait on the regular line this morning......hadn't seen that before so early in the morning.......we still walked straight on with EP. We only did this once and then headed back around to do CiTH.......and we could easily see the crowds building already........this was new to us........

i-BQPH7s5-XL.jpg

i-czBTx5Z-XL.jpg

We walked straight on both the Cat and the trolley ride.........both are fun little rides, not rides I would mind if we missed them, but fun.

i-GKPCCZw-XL.jpg

i-sVbdMkn-XL.jpg

Top picture Kyle is ignoring the cursing teen that had caught Tom`s ears and the guy behind........telling her mother where she could go.......oh dear!! Not nice......but we carried on and wandered around for a little while.........

We were meeting a friend in the Christmas Shop........and we were a little early for him so we wandered back around to do Dr Doom a couple of times......that was always fun........the TM`s laughed and asked if we never got fed up with riding it.......nope, not yet.........

So by now we noticed the sun was indeed coming out and it was getting hot......and apart from Kyle`s neck we didn't have a drop of suncream with us........should have popped some in my bag, but we didn't.

We went into the Christmas Shop and chose a whole load of ornaments and decorations when our friend appeared......this was a brief visit this morning with him, but always love seeing him.........I did buy more than I had planned to but we were delighted with our haul...and hoped they would all make it back safe and sound to the UK............our friend left and we thought about what we would do........we walked back to the hotel and got sun screen on.......and then walked back to IOA.........we wanted to have lunch again at Confisco.

The joys of staying onsite at Universal are wonderful when you need to pop back to the hotel for anything......took less than half an hour to get there and back and dropped off the hoodies too........

i-wMSCx6b-XL.jpg

It was lunchtime now so we went straight to Confisco for lunch..........and as we hadn't eaten a lot at breakfast we were all ready for food........it`s always lovely and cool in here and we get seated immediately, and notice today is slightly more busy than before........it`s such a nice restaurant though.......

i-wbf9HqW-XL.jpg

i-fjfQ3K6-XL.jpg

Tom immediately orders a pitcher of sangria........but, I rather reluctantly suggest a half pitcher......we still have the rest of the day to get through......lol......so a half pitcher it is........Kyle gets his usual smoothy.........

i-hPx7cz4-XL.jpg

i-nbJ2Gjx-XL.jpg

The guy and his wife who are sat beside look rather curiously at the pitcher and he asks us what`s in the pitcher.......when we do he asks for a pitcher too........his wife doesn't look happy though as she doesn't drink apparently.......he tells the waiter his new friends will help him drink it......lol....now she is even more disapproving.......he chatted like an old friend while she sat sipping water.......he was an interesting guy from California who had some funny stories about moonshine and stuff like that.....we were fascinated........we could have spent all day chatting.......and so could he as he was getting through the sangria......I have to say this waiter brought us the strongest sangria we had enjoyed yet........but, it was still nice and fruity, not too strong you didn't enjoy it.........

But, our food arrived and we had more or less ordered the same meal as before, well Kyle and I had.......Tom had gone for the Croissant Moon Club Sandwich, Kyle the cheese pizza and me the spicy chicken and shrimp sandwich.......with extra jalapenos.........

i-HsqnVcW-XL.jpg

i-Bwh7KRH-XL.jpg

i-Vhx8hNF-XL.jpg

The food was lovely........my chicken was spicy on it`s own, but with the added spice it was perfect........and Kyle loved his pizza as usual, Tom really enjoyed his sandwich.....it had been a while since we had eaten in the Croissant moon bakery next door and he really enjoyed their sandwiches, so this was a good compromise for us........

We had finished our sangria by now and declined another pitcher, but the guy beside us now insisted we help him.......he hadn't even gotten half way through his full pitcher.......but, we had had enough for lunchtime.......so we sadly declined his offer too and he rather delightedly told his wife he would just have to drink it himself........lol......now she wasn't happy!!! But we left at this point also declining the ice cream bar trolley coming around the tables......looked nice, but no thanks........we shook our new friends hand and left the restaurant........we had so enjoyed our lunch again in here.

We decided to have a quick wander round to Potter, didn't plan to spend a whole lot of time there, but a ride of FJ and that was about it........it was busy but not too busy..........

i-39bHb6Z-XL.jpg

We went round and went on FJ once.......that was us for today in this park........but we were glad we had come round to do it......

Wandering back through Zeuss we saw these again........

i-3ttQn86-XL.jpg

That little girl wasn't at all happy!!!

But, we went in and did the Grinch show........we really liked that a lot......again, we were glad we did it but wouldn't do it again.......The Grinch is amazing though........very spookily like the Jim Carrey Grinch........and it was fun. Our picture with the Grinch is not a good one......really bad, awful......so I filed it......hopefully won`t come it across it again by accident.........

So, onwards we go towards the park exit.........and it is beautiful now......it is hotter than we thought it was going to be........and the sun was strong!!!

i-GPKxWmk-XL.jpg

i-Pf4Drtd-XL.jpg

i-TgmZ5rn-XL.jpg

i-Xqdrvvk-XL.jpg

i-jMTcvrS-XL.jpg

I loved the purple wreath decoration above.......I tried to negotiate buying it from a Who person who saw me admire it and came over to check I wasn't being Grinch like and planned to pinch it on Xmas Eve...........but no such luck.........

We left the park for the last time this trip, always sad of course, but we would be back soon.......

And we still had The Studios to do our highlights tonight..........

For now we went back to the hotel and chilled out for an hour or so.

What a nice watch your son picked out. That mall looks nice!

I am going to be brave in February and ride the Mummy. I love the theming in there, Andi loves it.

We are also going to try Louis’ pizza from your review. We haven’t had the best luck with QS food at US so thanks for the review!

Thanks......he is a real watch collector and that one is his pride and joy so far........and Mall at Millenia is a beautiful mall.....Oh you`ll love The Mummy!!!!! It`s fun but not too scary.......it does go fast for a little bit, but it`s smooth with no big drops........love it!!!

Always enjoy Louie`s.......plain and simple pizza but there`s just something about it we like so much!! Really hope you enjoy both Mummy and Louie`s......:thumbsup2

FRIDAY CONT.........

We go back to our room and we have had a delivery.........we had purchased a few things last night and I had forgotten to mention it......so they were here and again I began to hope we had enough room, even with 3 cases and 3 hand luggage.......and all the Christmas stuff I had bought this morning.......I would manage.......Tom didn't look as confident........

They both fell asleep.......I wasn't tired, so around 4pm I went up to Club Lounge to sit with ipad and have a chat with whoever was working......they were all lovely, so I knew I wouldn't be lonely.........

Young Colby was working today and I knew this was the last day I`d see him as he wasn't working tomorrow........he explained there was an issue with showing of films which I assume has been sorted now. So I got ipad out and between that and chatting the time passed so quickly.......I did try the jambalaya on offer tonight off the new winter menu.......not for me, wasn't spicy enough, only had a couple of tablespoons though, but enough to know I didn't like it.........so I had some dip and crackers and sat with my wine till my boys appeared......I also chatted again to the Australian family who said it was their last night too.......we had a real giggle and then Tom appeared and he got some wine too. It was so nice sitting chatting to nice people in here, such a friendly atmosphere and of course the staff are the best!!!

I was sorry we didn't get to see squirlz and mrs squirlz again before we left......we had never seen them at breakfast, so I was sad we didn't get to say goodbye to someone who is on the boards.

At that we said goodbye to the lovely Colby......we would see him in March I was sure, unless he graduated and was offered something further afield.......we also said goodbye to the Australian family........it`s nice you can meet folks and click so quickly and have so much fun with practical strangers......we have always been lucky that way with folks.

We walked out to get the boat as we were going to The Studios.......it was hot!!!! It felt really hot tonight compared to other nights, and we were glad......it was heavenly........we weren't going to see the parade or anything tonight, it was just a final ride of our favourite things..........and the entrance looked beautiful......

i-k2PNJZX-XL.jpg

i-H3CwRQn-XL.jpg

We walked straight on to do Despicable Me.....not too bad a queue for the regular line.......we walked straight on tonight with EP......

i-x7Q3dQs-XL.jpg

We enjoyed this a lot tonight........then we walked round to RRR......this was where everyone was.........regular line was 85 minutes.......TM told us EP line was slightly longer as they had been stopped for a little bit.......I decided not to do it, so went and just sat on the benches.......I wish I`d gone for a drink in Monsters Café as they must have been gone for around 40 minutes......but, Kyle was delighted to have done it again at night as it had been a while since he had been on at night......he had loved it!!!! That was worth the wait in itself.

i-r7BjZzf-XL.jpg

Tom and I were heading to see the tree again so Kyle said he`d go back on and see if the EP line had gone back down by now.......so he set off back as we set off for the tree........we were crossing over when I heard a voice say my name........it was the lovely Andrea (I-4Bound)........she had recognized us and wanted to say hello......we had known she was there with her family at the same time and I had of course said she must say hello if she saw us....... and she did.......it was lovely talking to her although briefly.......Tom still thinks it`s funny folks know him too from the trip reports........it was shame Kyle was on the ride and her husband had wandered off as it would have been lovely to have met them all........but always a pleasure meeting a fellow Dis member........I was so glad you said hello Andrea........:wave2:

We wandered over to The Mummy and Kyle appeared not long after......he had got on fairly quickly after all......and got the front again........

i-RFPrVhJ-XL.jpg

We took a few pictures and then went on Mummy........the queue was long for the regular line too....we were especially happy to have EP tonight......I think this was the longest we had ever waited for this ride in years.......EP was always a walk on.......even so it was maybe a 15 minute wait, so not too bad at all considering how busy the regular line was..........so we only did it once and waited for the front again, which only added a moment or two........

Now it was later than planned......we had thought of going to Potter, but with the long wait for RRR we didn't have time as the park closed at 7 and it was 7 now......so we wandered towards the park exit enjoying the décor..........I think it was at this point we decided we would come back next December at the same time. This was just so beautiful..........

i-8n4CKBp-XL.jpg

i-4cwVTwd-XL.jpg

i-nsZtMSs-XL.jpg

i-FGmRb6W-XL.jpg

i-kRcTLMd-XL.jpg

i-R7CFZtH-XL.jpg

We reluctantly left The Studios.......the Christmas decorations were understated but suited Universal to a tee........not too showy, just nice......well, we liked them........

We hopped on the boat to PBH.....this was another favourite of Kyle`s and one he had chosen to go to this trip........we were happy with his choice as we love it too. It`s probably our favourite onsite pizza..........but strangely Tom and I ended up not having pizza this time.......

The boat only takes a few minutes to take us to PB and I was delighted to see there huge tree in the piazza.......but sadly our camera didn't capture it well......it was really a mass of blurry lights in most pictures of the whole thing........but it was beautiful........

i-4w49428-XL.jpg

i-LG282qs-XL.jpg

We go straight to Sal`s and again, it`s not busy........Kyle orders his cheese pizza with bbq sauce as a base.......that's his favourite pizza.......I decide to try the Shrimp Po` Boy sandwich and Tom goes for the sausage and pepper sandwich.....filled with onions and mushrooms so I wont be able to steal any......

We get a seat through on the cool benches and wait........we chat about our day and our week so far.......we have all loved every second of it.......and having the warm temperatures had been a real bonus....didn't expect it to be as warm for so long........

You are given a buzzer that goes off when your food is ready......and it`s not long before ours is ready........

i-B7c2Lx4-XL.jpg

i-bRb4DgJ-XL.jpg

i-r5px6L2-XL.jpg

i-VpSP3qb-XL.jpg

Guess who had the chocolate muffin??? Yep.........the food was lovely.......Kyle`s pizza was delicious........we actually got a taste of this one.......my sandwich was filled with shrimp and was tasty, and Tom loved his especially since he could eat onions!!! I do have to say the chips that came with the sandwiches were the worst I have ever tasted.......greasy and tasteless.......but we hadn't wanted to change them for fries as we weren't desperately hungry, but I wished we had........but overall it was a lovely meal........

We left, and it was now becoming very busy in here......we went up to the lobby and had a quick wander around and of course saw the tree.......

i-LqsrgQR-XL.jpg

i-vjPKNnc-XL.jpg

i-6wC9hBv-XL.jpg

i-zCCPPBk-XL.jpg

i-vVr98N8-XL.jpg

We went outside to ask for an ODC to take us back home, tonight they were incredibly busy and said it would be 30 minutes or so......we had never waited more than a few moments......but there was nothing we could do but wait........however the dining shuttle stopped and the valet guy asked if we wanted to use that instead........might as well........of course RP was the last stop from here......we went to every hotel and picked up or dropped off at them all.....eventually we made it back to RP and decided we had better start packing........we did however feel a definite lowering of the temperatures tonight as we came out of the PB.......decidedly cool.
We did make a start, but our hearts weren't really in it.......we did get most of the purchases wrapped up securely and embedded deep in the cases.....some of the more delicate ornaments and of course the special cognac that came from Tag heuer.......although we wouldn't have liked it to be smashed, it wouldn't be the bottle that would be the problem.......it would be the cognac all over the cases and anyone else`s that were underneath them!!! But we packed it with bubble wrap the front desk gave us and surrounded it with soft clothes and towels........
We sat and watched tv for a while before getting into bed around midnight.

SATURDAY DECEMBER 9TH........

Last day..........

We awoke to dull skies and a little bit of rain this morning......it was 83f yesterday and today was to reach a top temperature of 51f. Did not like the sound of that........

We had only ever experienced one cold day before and that was in 2010 when we didn't leave till November 5th.......that was a generally cold winter for them. And we remembered that morning as we went to do bag drop at Downtown Disney.........

This year we weren't going to bother doing that......we had planned to go do The Studios this morning......have some lunch somewhere before we set off this afternoon.......but, in the lounge everyone was talking about how cold it was........now, being honest.....I am a wimp with the cold......despite some Canadians pointing out rather nastily that I don't know what cold is........hmm......yes I do. And I hate it......we all do actually......so we had a rethink.......did we really want to trundle round the park being cold? Nope......we didn't........so Kyle had a lightbulb moment.......why didn't we go back to the Mall.......well, of course he had an another motive for his sudden concern that maybe I hadn't shopped enough.......lol.......so that's what we would do........

We did however finish packing.....and surprisingly we made it with room to spare.......and according to our little tool to weigh the cases in the room.....they were all just under 23kg!!! Darn, I should have bought more..........:rotfl:

When we were done we grabbed our hoodies and we had dressed in the warmer clothes we would be travelling in.........we went down to the lobby and walked out the main doors.......and stopped dead in our tracks!!!! This wasn't cold.......this was freezing!!! It was windy, it was raining and it was the most miserable day we had ever seen here.........the guy from valet was behind us and said he thought we were just going to turn around and go back inside!!! Almost........

But, we zipped up and hoods up and walked down to the car.....and put the heating on.....seriously, this was the first time we had ever put the heat on in a car in Florida.........now it felt like Christmas!!!

The mall was mobbed.......only takes a few minutes to drive there, and we could see the line of traffic off the I4 waiting to turn that way......it was usually like this at the weekend but of course this was Christmas.......even busier......but we got there and amazingly managed to get a space as we were lucky with someone leaving.......the parking lot was heaving........

But we made it inside and had to take some more pictures of our favourite mall and the tasteful decorations they had up around the place........

i-CXccq6d-XL.jpg

i-RP2nGht-XL.jpg

i-vRqt4w7-XL.jpg

We didn't feel like a full meal from the Cheesecake Factory, so Tom and Kyle went down to get his slice of cake and I went and sat down to wait for them......I had just taken a seat when Kyle came rumbling towards me......I had Tom`s wallet........oh dear.......he only had his hoodie pocket and I had a decent sized bag so made sense for me to have it...........so I gave him the wallet and off he went......they were gone ages.......CF was incredibly busy it seems.....even the take out.......

They came back and Tom and I decided to have some mall pizza.......cheap and cheerful and actually quite nice........

i-qzCxKGf-XL.jpg

i-WpBGMZt-XL.jpg

It really is a huge slice!!!!

i-mWCwgfR-XL.jpg

i-xJr4WS2-XL.jpg

We ordered a pepperoni and a Hawaiian slice.......and paid for that with a bottle of water and we shared a giant Diet Pepsi........but somehow we ended up with another dish brought to us........

i-6wKTKSS-XL.jpg

We told him we hadn't ordered the extra slices and certainly hadn't paid for them......he shrugged his shoulders and said he hoped we enjoyed them......we were a bit unsure in case someone appeared behind us demanding their pizza!!! But we tucked in..........they were lovely actually.......we each ate our own slice and some of the extra bonus pizza.......the extra pizza was very doughy........so we didn't eat a lot, but it was nice. We still don't know how it came about.......but he deliberately brought them to our table after we had paid for our own..........

We then had a quick wander around and I resisted the temptation to purchase a few other things......mainly a rather large Tagine pot from Williams and Sonoma........well, I was told I didn't need another........lol.....he was right.......

I told Tom he`d never fit the whole tree and us in........of course he had to prove me wrong........

i-S4TdbCn-XL.jpg

i-vC9Rd2K-XL.jpg

i-SGL5Gw6-XL.jpg

i-4CpDhHW-XL.jpg

i-nj7XBHR-XL.jpg

So a very short drive back to the hotel to do our final check of the room and remember to empty our safety deposit box behind the desk.......we packed away our final few things and then sorted out passports and such so they were handy. Then downstairs to check out........we were lucky we managed to catch our lovely housekeeping lady......we thanked her for taking such good care of us and for the gift she sent.......she is so lovely, and we have had the same lady last few years we have stayed there.......told her we`d be back in March and hoped to see her then.

We had arranged to meet our friend around 2pm when we were checking out......so we checked out with our favourite front desk guy Bryson and had a lovely hug from him, Sam and Justin......all lovely guys........we said our goodbyes and went to sit and wait for our friend when his assistant appeared from behind the front desk offices and said he was on his way over......yay!!! We couldn't have left without saying goodbye to someone so special..........

We didn't have long to wait when he appeared........such a lovely man, and we always love seeing him....... he is incredibly busy though so we say our final thanks, hug and say goodbye till next time.........and we`re off.........

This is always emotional, in fact I said to our friend we`d better go before I started crying.......lol........so we walked through the doors for the walk of shame going the wrong way from where we want to be going...........

But, we get in the car and manage to somehow get it all in the trunk again.......although it`s a mid size SUV there`s not much room for 3 huge suitcases and hand luggage too........but we manage and soon set off for the airport. Never a fun drive that way.

We get to the bit where we return the hire car and she asks if there was any problems with the car...Tom says no, but we had no washer fluid when we got it......one of the valet guys very kindly filled it up for us......but she said stop by her manager and he would speak to us.......we thanked her and wandered over to the manager........he said he would write a note on our file for either an upgrade or discount from our next rental and said to email him......fair enough.....to be honest we didn't expect anything, it was just washer fluid.......but it was a nice gesture. We thanked him, took his email and wandered over to the terminal taking our usual last gulps of Floridian air......although we usually only smell jet fuel and buses!!!

We get in the elevators and head down towards where we see VA are.........at this point Tom shouts have I got his wallet........er, no......I gave it back to you in the Mall.......oh no!!! He doesn't have his wallet.

We have a mini panic for a second and Tom and Kyle head back to the car place as I wait with the luggage........this was the longest 15 minutes ever........he had gone back and asked if the wallet was still in the car, the girl we spoke to checking the car back in spotted them and came over to ask what the problem was.....he told her and she said the car had already gone to be washed and cleaned.......at the same time the manager came back over and he said they`d find it........Marion, I believe her name was ran off to check the car........and they waited........

5 minutes later she appeared waving his wallet!!!! Oh my goodness......he was so relieved.......it had indeed fallen out of the silly hoodie pocket between the seat and the door!!! He thanked her profusely.........and although she wasn't going to take a reward....Tom absolutely insisted on it!!! But, we were so grateful for it`s return..........when I saw them come out of the elevators and they were smiling......now I was relieved........we had been so lucky there.......it could have dropped anywhere.......lesson learned!!

Now that had been sorted, we went down to Virgin check in.......no queue whatsoever........and all our bags were just on the 23kg or just under......and we had been given the TSA pre check thing.......so no having to take shoes off and ipads out of cases........considering the lines we had seen beginning of October we were glad of this.........

Now we had our boarding cards, we wandered through and had a drink........and strangely were hungry again........plane food this journey was never good, so we did actually have some food from Panda Express.......and it was nice........

Eventually we wandered through to security but not before some tree pictures and my favourite flag.........

i-dLfMPgc-XL.jpg

i-WMLxVWJ-XL.jpg

i-4cb5TPw-XL.jpg

TSA Pre check was a prize today......we got straight through with hardly a line.......although I ended up having to take my boots off after all.......but it took seconds........and we were on our way........straight on to the monorail and off the other side.

We deposit Kyle and the hand luggage at the gate and we wander back up to Duty Free........we get 4 bottles of coconut rum, 2 brandies and a large cognac the same as the one Kyle got for a gift from the Tag shop....the girl at the desk was quite snippy and asked how many was in our party and did we know our limits back in to the UK.......told her yes we did. And paid. We would collect this getting on the plane..........

Waiting for the plane was relatively painless.......it passed fairly quickly and one of the other Virgin flights to Gatwick was delayed......we hoped ours would be on time.........and thankfully it more or less was.

We got on and had the same seats we had going out.........so we got settled and they closed the doors......then we waited.......pilot said they had some last minute paperwork........that is never good. Code for something is wrong.........

But, after 10 minutes or so the CC came and sat down opposite us for take off.........she was lovely too......always nice when they are chatty and friendly......we seemed to taxi forever tonight......but we did take off and very smooth it was too.......we glanced behind us as we climbed higher and could see the last views of Orlando from the air.

Flight was uneventful.......we all slept......and Kyle and I slept really well.......eventually the lights came on in the cabin around 7.30....we were maybe 90 minutes away.........the breakfast is very uninspiring.......but we take some water and ask for another.......she actually gives us the large bottle to finish and we do!!! When she takes it back she said she was glad she gave us it........you do get dehydrated of course......and we hadn't moved all night........

We land in a very snowy and icy airport........it is bad, but landing was excellent. And then the CC tells us as it doesn't matter now, the delay at the beginning of the flight was......they had been told weather was too bad for us to land at our airport and we were being diverted to Gatwick where weather was slightly better!!!! Thank goodness that hadn`t happened........we would have been kept on the plane till it could land at our airport.........could have been a few hours......dodged a bullet there.......they had eventually decide we could land where we were supposed to.

However we all stood up at this point........and then were told the plane doors had frozen........they had to go get a machine to defrost the exit door and baggage door........and we were also sat in the middle of nowhere.......our airport is going through a massive revamp, so half of the 2nd terminal was missing.......so we would be bussed to security once we got off.........

It seemed forever but eventually we got the doors open and we were taken in groups to get on the bus at the foot of the plane steps......it was perishingly cold!!! And snowing heavily..........this wasn't fun.........but, we got on the bus and were soon walking down to immigration......we could all go through the quick exit as we had travelled recently, and we did indeed get through in minutes........

Then the wait for luggage.........of course they hadn't managed to open the baggage doors as quick.......so we had an interminable wait for baggage.......kids were crying, folks were getting grumpy and of course no one was telling us how long it would be.......eventually an hour or so later the bags started to come through.......ours were somewhere in the middle.....so not too bad. We grabbed them all and headed through for breakfast.......

Our usual place in this terminal had gone since we last flew with Virgin, so we should have just eaten at the Radisson....but we grabbed a tea and a bacon sandwich.......then walked down to get the car from the hotel. It was as always waiting for us.........

We visited the bathroom....and avoided the mirror after a long night flight........then we set off on the slow drive back home......roads were bad, but we made it home in three and a half hours instead of three. Not too bad..........

Dropped the luggage and we all dropped into our beds.......never heard a thing till 3 hours later........thankfully the heating was on so house was lovely and cosy.......

We got up feeling incredibly groggy and quickly showered......then began to unpack and pile up the laundry.........our first night home is always Chinese take out......but we got it delivered as none of us could be bothered going for it........it was nice. And a nice way to end another trip.........

Final thoughts...........

We loved Christmas in Universal Orlando......we really did.........it was everything we hoped it would be.

Our plan was to do mainly park time with a little bit of shopping.....and that's exactly what we did.......the parks were fun and we enjoyed having EP as it was busy at certain times. Loved how the parks and hotels were decorated........we didn't go offsite anywhere near as much as we usually did, but this trip was all about the parks and Kyle getting on rides........

It was also lovely meeting up with Todd again, and of course getting to say hello to a few Dis people.

RPR was as always perfect.........we feel so at home here and are made to feel like family every time we walk in those doors, and every time we encounter any member of staff it`s always a lovely experience........they are so nice. In all departments.........

Spending time with our wonderful son was the best!!!! He is fabulous company and he loves the place as much as we do, he had genuinely missed coming with us the previous 3 years so we really appreciated this trip more than ever. Any time spent with them when they are grown up is always special........they have their own lives with work and such, but they never stop being your child.....and we just loved it......

We have a few trips booked this year.......10 days in March at RP, 10 days in May at the lovely Sapphire Falls, a 5 night trip to NYC in July, our usual 19 nights at RP and we are planning another 10 night stay in December.......that's the only one not booked yet........but when flights come out......hopefully will get that sorted.............

So Thank you once again for reading along with my ramblings and sometimes inane musings........I genuinely enjoy writing them so it`s a pleasure to know some folks enjoy reading along........I thank you for your lovely comments.........:hug:

See you in March hopefully............:wave2:

Last edited:
Awesome trip report as usual! Thanks for sharing!

We arrived in Orlando late afternoon Dec. 7th, but we stayed in the Disney area the first 3 nights checking into RPR on Dec. 10th around 1pm.

We spent Dec. 8th and 9th at Disney Springs shopping and eating. Dec. 8th was a deceivingly hot day. Overcast for alot of the day, but it did get up 84F. Dec. 9th we had a reservation at Morimoto's. Last year when we ate there it was freezing cold as well. We absolutely love Morimoto's, but everytime we eat there it's freezing cold out!! LOL!! We may have to rethink future ADR's there. ;)

We've been going to Orlando for 2 weeks every December since 2008. We were there for 2 weeks during the 2010 winter you mentioned. It was the coldest Dec. on record in Orlando history. That year we spent the first 8 nights at Disney and than the last 6 at Universal at the HRH. It was our first trip to Universal and it was crazy cold even for us Canadians. The pool was closed 5 of the 6 days we were there and we had to break out the winter jackets. The crowds were still crazy though as that was the first Christmas for HP at Universal.

As a hole we've had outstanding luck with the December weather in Orlando. Most trips way above normal temps, so we can't really complain.

Maybe we'll cross paths next December. We haven't picked dates or decided on Disney/Universal or split yet.

Many many thanks for sharing your trip with all of us

I feel like a stalker looking over your shoulder at times

lol

Hooray for another fabulous trip! I'm tickled to get a mention in your report! I always write up a little report at the end of our vacations (though I have never actually put one on the Dis) and this reminds me that I need to get cracking on that before I forget what we did!

Great report Carole, you really captured the festive decor and mood at the parks and resorts!

So glad you had good weather, you all lucked out, really no cold or rain until the last day!

I always think it feels really cold in Florida when it is in the 50’s and I live in northern Minnesota, lol!

I will be excited to hear about your adventures in March, you all have some nice trips this year, how fun!

Thank goodness Tom’s wallet was in the car, that must have been scary.

Just saw your post re finalizing this TR! Have been so slogged under missed it entirely, sorry

As usual in your TRs, amazing pics! Thank you, always nice to see things thru fresh set of eyes. I had no idea that hand thingie was @ HP duh.

I really enjoyed the parade, our first one. Agree the tree lighting would've had more impact if dark.

Love your hat on the 1st page, very Ruskie lol. The watches are just fab, a great pic of the guys there.

I know u say it was crowded @ HP but park crowds always seem light in your pics, you have good timing indeed.:)

How many months 'till the next trippie? :banana:

Wow, I feel like I'm right back there again! I have to admit I have never even opened this forum before but you mentioned that you had finished your report, so I had to check it out. Wanted to see if we had earned a mention! :) So you said you get the same room every time and I was wondering about that. I asked about a Theme Park view when we checked in but they said our room was already assigned and it wasn't possible. Also there aren't many King rooms with that view on that floor and they don't want to tie one up for that long. But I sure would like to know how to get a better view. I think I'll call and ask about that.

We were there the same week as you, but w ended the week in WDW. And oh man was it cold the last few days!! We were in long sleeved shirts, gloves, jackets.....it was cold! We loved it though as it made everything feel more Christmasy.

Thanks for the trip report, this was our first trip to Universal and we stayed at RPR mainly because of your glowing trip reports, and you were right on. The hotel was amazing and the staff was great. Our only regret is that we did two days....we really needed one more day.

but, in the lounge everyone was talking about how cold it was........now, being honest.....I am a wimp with the cold......despite some Canadians pointing out rather nastily that I don't know what cold is........hmm......yes I do. And I hate it......we all do actually......so we had a rethink.......did we really want to trundle round the park being cold? Nope......we didn't........

My apologies on behalf of any rude Canadians! :goodvibes Don't feel bad, I too am a cold-weather wimp! I am from Southern Ontario, Canada where we are currently breaking record low temperatures and when I complained about it today (as it was cold enough that my car battery froze and wouldn't start for the second time in a week) at work, I got teased as well! I guess the dip in temperature causes a dip in friendliness for some people? :laughing:

It was lovely to see Universal all decked out for the holidays, I'm such a sucker for the over-sized Christmas trees! I am that crazy woman who would leave her tree up all year long if I could!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the final days of your trip and had a great time together as a family. I'm happy to see that you had a smooth trip home as well and look forward to seeing your adventures in the spring! :thumbsup2 Thank you again for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter