7 yr old kidnapped Philly girl found, SAFE & SOUND! *(UPDATE pg 2) two men arrested*

Dan Murphy

We are family.
tdy_kotb_pratt_020723.jpg

MSNBC news story

So happy to hear the good news. :bounce: Now to catch those that did kidnap her.

Thank Goodness!!!!!

So glad to see a happy ending on one of these.

Debbie

I had the feeling when ransom came into the picture, that she would be recovered. How happy that family must be tonight!

Thank God!! I am so happy this came to a good ending!!

Oh, I am so very glad to hear this. I have been praying and hoping sinc they had asked for a ransom, that she would be found. I hope whoever did this is caught soon.

Yes!!!!!
Its so good not to hear another tragic ending. Thank God this little girl is safe!

I am so very tired of these sickos... thank God, this little girl was spared the horrors that others have been put through.. :D

Yipee! I haven't kept track of this one as much because of the others, but it's good to hear one turn out well. Now to catch the perps and put 'em away.

Ashley

Thank God. Hopefully, she can aid the police in capturing those responsible. It's good to hear a happy ending for once!:Pinkbounc

Anyone know the details? Where was she found?

I just watched a live news report. Believe it or not, this little girl escaped on her own. She was left in an abandoned house in a dark basement, bound in duct tape around her eyes, wrists and feet, and was able to loosen it enough to crawl up the basement steps, kick a panel of the basement door in, crawl across the living room and then broke a front window and yelled for help. Three boys outside ran to get a police officer who was a block away, and he ran in to get her. Unbelievable. What a courageous little girl.

This was a big local story, I didnt know it made the national news!

Thanks for the update, Dan! :)

Kidnapped Philadelphia Girl Found Safe On Street
Police Confirm Ransom Calls In Philadelphia Case
UPDATED: 9:39 p.m. EDT July 23, 2002

PHILADELPHIA -- In a remarkable story, a group of children rescued 7-year-old Erica Pratt by
breaking into the house where she was held for over 22 hours.

Lt. Michael Chitwood of the Philadelphia police said that Pratt had been tied up in a house at 1205 Louden Street. She somehow was
able to get loose and started yelling for help. A group of children got onto the porch and broke a window to get her out.

She was taken to Children's Hospital for evaluation and hospital officials said she was in good condition.

Police said Tuesday afternoon that they were looking for two men they believed may have information regarding the circumstances
surrounding Erica's disappearance.

William Colarulo, a Philadelphia police inspector,
said that officials wanted to question James Burns, approximately 29 years old, and Edward Johnson, approximately 23 years old.

Colarulo said the two men were only wanted for
questioning.

The FBI, Philadelphia police and the attorney
general's office are working together on the case. The investigation is expected to continue, so anyone with information about the case is asked to call the FBI command center at (215) 418-4000, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Police said that Erica was abducted at 9:40 p.m. Monday night from a corner in the
Kingsessing neighborhood near the Mount Moriah Cemetery.

The child's grandmother, Barbara Pratt, got a phone call about 20 minutes after the abduction
demanding $150,000 for the girl's return, Colarulo said.
"A specific amount of money was requested and they had the phone number to call this
particular residence," said Colarulo.

The girl's mother, Sarina Freeman, said that the last time she heard her daughter's voice was
when the abductors put her on the phone Monday night at about 11 p.m.

"She sounded scared ... I just told her I loved her," Freeman said.

Colarulo said that police don't believe the kidnapping was random. They said they are looking
into the possibility that the kidnapping may be related the death of Erica's uncle in March.
Sources tell WCAU-TV in Philadelphia that Joseph Pratt was gunned down in his car in a
drug-related shooting. Police are checking on a possible insurance policy.

Police said Pratt was forced into a large white car by a heavy-set male with a big stomach,
wearing a white T-shirt and baseball cap.

The car was driven by another male, whose description is unknown. Police said the pair fled
west on Kingsessing Avenue.

Police said the car was possibly an older model white Cadillac with darkly tinted windows, and
the Pennsylvania license plate may end with either 392 or 394. Police said that they have
recovered a vehicle fitting the description at 21st and Morris Streets. They were not sure if it
was the same vehicle that was used in the abduction.

The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the
arrest and conviction of the people responsible. Commission representatives said that to be
eligible for the reward, information must be called into the Crime Commission tipline at (215)
546-TIPS, and the caller must receive a code number from the operator.

Freeman pleaded for Erica's safe return.

"All I want them to do is treat her with care. Do not harm her," Freeman said Tuesday. "She's
only 7. She's just beginning her life."

Residents of this rowhouse neighborhood said many of the adults were down the street at a
block party when Erica was taken.

Related Resources:

Philadelphia police report on Erica Pratt kidnapping

Copyright 2002 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts