8/23 Part 1

h20jag

<br><font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=m
Thur. 8/23/01
9yo DD
DW
Me

Checked in about 3 PM w/ DDs' report card in hand. She got a Loew's drink cup & a star-shaped ink pen, she was thrilled that good grades carryover even in the summer!
Showed Loews First card and asked for an upgrade but it wasn't available. We had a poolview room, so I certainly wasn't disappointed at all. Knew the Fiesta Caliente was happening this week-end, so there was a few more folks around. We got 6th floor #6024. It's next to the end, overlooking Sunset Grill and BeachClub. It was so much quicker using the stairwell down to hit the parks. (Never even considered using those 6 flights going up though!)
First discrepancy in room we noticed...no mini-bar key. Overlooked this detail at front desk. Called down to have one brought up, but found it quicker from a bellman in the hallway. I unloaded the bottom 2 shelves of fridge and stocked our contraband. Checked for deck of cards in the drawer, so we could play the next day in a cabana, not there. Called front again, would get these eventually the next day. Heading out the door to hit USF, someone from front shows with another mini-bar key. (hey, they're trying, grade A so far!)
In USF, DD has us head straight to MIB. She talks of many repeat rides there, but after one she wants Jaws. Of course, FOTL is a walk-on for both of these. For a Thur. afternoon there are 30 & 15 minute waits, I was a little surprised.
Next was Kong. FOTL walk-on again, and we're seated first & in the very front seat by tram op. Really got those icy/quizzical glances this time! DD got to see a whole lot more than ever before. Tells me she really loves the front seat (and us, this is what it's all about!).
Getting hungry now, wanna hit HRCafe. Have to walk past Twister though. Turns out, that was our longest wait ever for this show. FOTL didn't get us there in time, plus there was no attendant & no Express sign at the final fork near theater doors. (only had the wheelchair sign pointing the path to the front, and I'll be darned if we're risking life/limb for this!)
Sooo, we wait it out and miss the whole next group entering. If they'd just let 10-12 more people in....rats!
I make my statement,as my stomach grumbles uncontrollably...NO MORE TWISTER FOR ME THIS TRIP!! Upon exiting the show they want to herd you thru the gift shop, naturally. But no security was gonna prevent me from using that first exit this time... I'm too hungry. And thank Heaven for that Nick gate to HRC!!
*Had to touch and take pic of that Berlin Wall section, that thing speaks volumes just standing there. It's right at rear of HRC.
Finally making it to HRC, a most wonderful server named Clay really hooked us up. We never had to ask for a thing the whole meal. Drinks were re-filled at the most perfect time. Dishes were cleared at right time. And he was effortlessly doing this with all of his area!
The Nachos appet. platter was huge, though the beef had been re-heated too many times I think. It worked though, even if we did waste a lot of it. The entrees came quick.... me with the Pig Sandwich (which was moist and plentiful on a fresh bun); DD got the guitar shaped chicken fingers with Jimi Hendrixs' name tied to its' menu listing (it's cutesy, Jimi would smile I'm sure!); and I forget what DW had (she didn't offer to share, so it was good!).

Well, with 1 hour till parks close, and a full belly....why not ride Hulk? Off to IOA and split-up time. Girls hit Spiderman while I get a coaster fix. Both are FOTL walk-ons, crowds are thinning big time now anyway. After I get 2 Hulk rides in I catch a back row Fire Dragon. DW & DD had done Unicorn after Spidey, and were already playing the games in Lost Continent. 3 small bears later, we're heading back to HRH for pooltime.
Swam & waterslid for awhile. Asked to take a peek in an empty cabana, as we would get one next day. I even cried to the guy (cabanadude?) that my Jaguars were playing on TV at that moment, and I'd turned down 2 great seats so we could be at HRH instead. He slid the flaps open and left the TV on for me!
Pool did close right on time this night...10 P.M. We watched the 4th quarter in the room, got a win (I know, it's pre-season...I still get jazzed tho), and piled down to rest up for a full Friday.

*Gotta call a family meeting tomorrow nite to help old man remember all of Fri. details first. Then I'll have Part 2!
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the report. Isn't it hard to remember the details? I will be waiting for the next installment!!

Nan

Thanks Jim for a great report! How did you like the hotel? Have you stayed there before? Thanks!

Kimberly

Jim,

Great job with your trip report! I enjoyed the details a lot:) Sounds like a perfect first day. Looking forward to the rest...that is after the family fills you in :D Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Aloha Jim.
So when do you get to the part that you miss us? LOL
Enjoyed your report. :D Am looking forward to the female point of view in your next installment. ;) It is so hard without the webcams and without any plans to return yet...so I really look forward to your reports.
:bounce:

Donna
:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter