"8 Simple Rules" to go on

Galahad

.....an appointment
ABC says that John Ritter's show, "8 Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter" will not be shelved, but will continue, with the main character dying.

8 Simple rules to go on

What do you think? Will this work? There is no such thing as "must see TV" for me, but If I ran across this show, I typically stopped and watched it.

I don't envy the position ABC is in. If they do this wrong, it could look like they are trying to cash in on the sympathy factor. It wasn't a show I routinely watched, but I've got to admit that I'm going to watch it now just to see how they go thru the transition.

In a way I am glad they are trying to tread down this unenviable path. I watched this show and really enjoyed it. Primarily for Ritter but I also liked the supporting cast. I honestly don't think it will work out but I am hoping that they will try and make it a fitting tribute to him.

Maybe it is simply a attempt to cash in. In fact I am sure we will see a post about how this will all be memorialized with a snow globe. I am proceeding with the expectation that Disney will take the high road and do something appropriately memorable.

I'm glad they are continuing the show, as well. I don't think this is an attempt to cash in. The show was on it's way to becoming pretty successful and it's not like they had any intention of cancelling prior to his passing.

Not to sound cheesy, but I'm sure Mr. Ritter would have wanted the show to continue.

I don't think it will last. Turning a comedy into a drama has rarely been successful in the past, but I certainly wish them all the best. ABC has had bad luck with their fall lineup of shows.

***"I don't think it will last. Turning a comedy into a drama has rarely been successful in the past, "***

I'd imagine a couple episodes after the first three will be a bit somber, but I doubt the series will turn into a drama. Any announcement yet of who will replace JR ? Watching the tribute special ABC aired, I got the sense that Henry Winkler might be considered.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
[BAny announcement yet of who will replace JR ? Watching the tribute special ABC aired, I got the sense that Henry Winkler might be considered. [/B]
My wife read the Tony Danza is being considered.

I have mixed feeling about this.

I'm glad that they're trying to honor John Ritter but right now I can't imagine the show making it without him. Tony Danza might be an interesting choice but I would bet that Henry Winkler is a bit too busy to be able to fill in.

But the article said they aren't going to replace the character.... So what will Danza or Winkler do....be long lost uncles?

I took the article mean they weren't going to replace Ritter with another Dad, the way Dick Sargent replaced Dick York on Bewitched. It would almost have to be an uncle..or maybe a grandfather, (but not if Danza is the choice).

I would guess they would handle it the same way they did with that Valerie Harper sit-com from a while ago. ...

In the fall of 1987 Valerie Harper abruptly left the show in a well-publicized dispute with the producers._ NBC decided to continue without her, retitling the series Valerie's Family (some suggested "Where's Valerie?" or "Who's Valerie?" might be more appropriate._ Later, in June 1988, it became The Hogan Family._ Valerie was written out of the series as having died, and Michael's divorced sister Sandy (played by Sandy Duncan), a high school counselor moved in to serve as a sort of surrogate mom.

It lasted until the early 90's. I guess it can work if all of the ingredients are right.

First of all, I don't want to get in trouble with any of you Disney "purists". I am a true Disney Purist and therefore I believe what I have to say on this subject is relevent.

ABC decided to keep producing "8 Simple Rules" in the wake of John Ritter's untimely death. They say that they want to honor Ritter's memory by continuing the program. I feel that the best way to honor John Ritter would be to air the final three episodes with him and then cancel the program in his honor. While I will admit that I have never watched the program, (nor did I tune in to this week's season premiere) I do know that this is a program that was created around Ritter and his character. To continue the program without him would be disrespectful.

Some have said that doing this is just an attempt for ABC/Disney to get milage (ratings and $$$) out of Ritter's death. And although it sounds terrible. I think it is partially true. As much as we all love Disney, this is a company that does things in a way that seems questionable. When I worked for the DS, I saw first hand how that division of the company took advantage of the tragedy of September 11, 2001 by mass-merchandising poor quality "patriotic" Mickey t-shirts, CD's and other items within weeks of the attacks.

I understand that Disney is not the only company that did something like this. But there are some companies that you would expect this sort of thing from. In my opinion, Disney is not one of them.

I still wonder if "8 Simple Rules" will indeed continue after the last three Ritter episodes air, and after the brief haitus that they will take. ABC/Disney might do the right thing before this becomes another black eye on the Mouse. But rest assured that if the show does come back, it will join the rest of the ABC prime time line-up that make up the bottom of the ratings, forcing an almost certain and immediate cancellation.

First, I never saw the show... but here's a thought.

Change the show to "8 simple rules for dating my mother", and make the focus of a mother trying to find a suitable mate - with the daughters being picky (I'm guessing that the current theme was a dad being picky about his daughters suitors), about the various men the mother dates.

(NOTE: I'm not trying to be insensitive - but in my opinion it is not really fair to all of the other actors of the show to loose out on their jobs because of the untimely passing of Mr. Ritter. Remember that many times actors only get one shot in their careers to be part of a successful series. I know Kathy Segal had success with Married... With Children, but this may be her - and the other actors/actresses chance to have a hit show. Just my opinion)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter