9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

Hi fellow cruisers!
I am in the process of booking a tour in St. John's. The company got great reviews in Trip Advisor. The tour will leave the pier at 9:30 and will return at 12:30 so it will give us lots of time to wander through downtown. Best of all, for us, the price is in Canadian dollars! Here is the address for their website with The Historic St John's and Cape Spear and other tours they offer. They will even custom design a tour for you.

http://www.mccarthysparty.com/

Thank you to all who posted information about tours that were sold out and information about Royal Tea. It was very helpful when we were making our final bookings!

As I went exploring further, I found Toms Port Guide to Porta Delgada. The guide is from 2015 so some of the restaurants etc may have changed. He offers a map of the dock area including the restaurants, atm's, etc as well as a map of the town and a suggestion for a walking tour. He goes on to give a description along with pictures of some of the tours he has taken. This was interesting to us since neither of the tours we were interested in booking are available. The walking will probably help burn off some of the calories from all those shipboard meals. Here is the link to the port guide.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/azores_ponta_delgada_-07-28-2015.pdf

Postcard exchange: I see that 16 people have signed up for this. I am on a hunt for some good postcards so I am still waiting to add my name and stateroom. Question, do you fill out the postcard and sign it as if you were actually mailing it to someone? I think I would like to know who dropped off a card for us. Also, do you put them in the fish or slip them under the door (if there's room)?

I'm planning on attaching a note/business card just so people know who I am :D And yes I will be putting in the fish (or fish extender if they have one)

So not one per stateroom but one per person in each stateroom, or is that up to the individual delivering them? We don't have a set plan for this and I've not done it before, but I don't want to go against the norm if everyone else is providing one card per person.

I'm doing 1 per stateroom but it may end up being 2 if my library opens. Currently I have London postcards but live in South Wales (only ones I have been able to find around here which is ironic as its 3 hours away but the library had them before it closed for refurb!). I don't think it matters how many etc as long as its at least 1 that's the way I look at it. I definitely however want to know who the cards are off so anyway people want to mark them I'm happy with :D I know in previous ones people have written their details, used business cards (where I stole my idea from as I have awful writing) and even wrote on the front of the card "from X" type thing so I'm happy with anything.

As I went exploring further, I found Toms Port Guide to Porta Delgada. The guide is from 2015 so some of the restaurants etc may have changed. He offers a map of the dock area including the restaurants, atm's, etc as well as a map of the town and a suggestion for a walking tour. He goes on to give a description along with pictures of some of the tours he has taken. This was interesting to us since neither of the tours we were interested in booking are available. The walking will probably help burn off some of the calories from all those shipboard meals. Here is the link to the port guide.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/azores_ponta_delgada_-07-28-2015.pdf

Thanks for this! Really helpful!

I was thinking I would bring one card per stateroom, especially since I live in a small New England town now. If I still lived in NYC, then more postcards would be fun, but, out here, our main photo ops are trees and white church steeples LOL.

For the postcards I receive, I would love it if they came with the family's name on the back.

I've been going back and forth about writing something on the backs of the postcards I give: while *I would like the giver's info there, I don't know if other people would prefer to be given blank cards.

I was thinking at least one per storeroom, but if we find really interesting ones, we may do multiple postcards. We do not plan to sign them, but would find another way to identify who they are from.

I was certainly planning one per stateroom - I want this to be FUN and not a big chore. I thought to leave the cards blank (so they could be used) - and just stick a Post-it or something on them with our details. :)

EDIT: To the poster who tried to PM me - I don't think I have enough posts yet to participate in "conversations"!

Last edited:

We did a private tour in St. Petersburg during our Baltics cruise. We were a little apprehensive with the tour company that we chose, but we read some really positive things about it and felt 85% comfortable when we arrived in port. The remaining 15% was washed away when we started talking to our guide (she was a sweetheart and very knowledgeable). If you find a private tour company that interests you, do some google review searches to help in a decision. We have not picked any private companies for our tours on this cruise, but I have also not had time to do any research. Also, we dictated when we wanted to be back at the ship. If I had to take a guess, I would say that these tour companies will probably drop off passengers at least an hour before having to be back on board.

Thanks to you both. :)

I was certainly planning one per stateroom - I want this to be FUN and not a big chore. I thought to leave the cards blank (so they could be used) - and just stick a Post-it or something on them with our details. :)

EDIT: To the poster who tried to PM me - I don't think I have enough posts yet to participate in "conversations"!

yes, I think you have to have 10 ?

Thanks for sharing this information. I went to the website and it's a great resource for other ports as well. I'm going to keep this bookmarked.

As far as the postcard exchange, I was thinking it was just one per stateroom, although I'm certainly not opposed to giving more than one if there are (for example) two adults who don't share a household, or similar situation. I was just assuming a family of four wouldn't want four of the same. I'm not planning to bring our FE along for this trip, so I hope people will utilize the fish itself as a "mailbox."

I'm not planning to bring our FE along for this trip, so I hope people will utilize the fish itself as a "mailbox."

Definitely will!

I have actually come up with an alternative to the postcard situation and will be providing a postcard plus 2 photos of things from my town in case it turns out that I can't get local postcards (cheating with London ones at the moment). That way I wont feel so much of a fraud lol. Still hopefully library will open in time as its set to open in September just no firm date yet in which case people will have 2 postcards.

Hell

Hello. I attempted to PM you and Coni Jo. We are traveling with our DD age 7. We were interested in excursions or exploring ports with other families.

I believe you have to change your settings/ profile set up to get PMs.

Definitely will!

I have actually come up with an alternative to the postcard situation and will be providing a postcard plus 2 photos of things from my town in case it turns out that I can't get local postcards (cheating with London ones at the moment). That way I wont feel so much of a fraud lol. Still hopefully library will open in time as its set to open in September just no firm date yet in which case people will have 2 postcards.

What a clever idea! I don't think people would want pictures of the local Dunkin Donuts, but we do have a county zoological park a mile away. I know they have postcards representing their rescued animals there.

What a clever idea! I don't think people would want pictures of the local Dunkin Donuts, but we do have a county zoological park a mile away. I know they have postcards representing their rescued animals there.

I love animal postcards! And to be honest, even a pic of a local dunkin donut would make me laugh so would be a great option :D We only have a few "nice" sites in our town so I've borrowed photos from the internet for the pictures (in fact one is from the postcard I saw before the library shut down)

We don't have Dunkin in Europe - that's exotic to us! ;)

I just had a SQUEEE/panic moment. When I first booked this cruise last summer, "2017" sounded so far-off and exotic. The Future!! Forever-long away!!

Now, "2017" sounds prosaic and "2016" sounds old. I just realized that the school year is ending, and the cruise is right after July and August. :scared: WAAAAAAH! I'm not ready! LOL

And I'm starting to have the approach/withdrawal feeling of not wanting the anticipation to end.

On a different note, if I weren't herding my family of 6 home after the cruise, I would LOVE to show you a bit of New York, Gismo :) I'm tempted to let them go off home without me while I play tour guide. :D

I just had a SQUEEE/panic moment. When I first booked this cruise last summer, "2017" sounded so far-off and exotic. The Future!! Forever-long away!!

Now, "2017" sounds prosaic and "2016" sounds old. I just realized that the school year is ending, and the cruise is right after July and August. :scared: WAAAAAAH! I'm not ready! LOL

And I'm starting to have the approach/withdrawal feeling of not wanting the anticipation to end.

On a different note, if I weren't herding my family of 6 home after the cruise, I would LOVE to show you a bit of New York, Gismo :) I'm tempted to let them go off home without me while I play tour guide. :D

Same here. If we weren't going back to work the next day, I would have offered to hang out in the city.

Hi everybody!
We are an Argentinean family: me, my husband, our son (15) and two daughters (14 and 12). This will be our fifth Disney cruise. We've participated in FE on all our cruises, and we had a great experience!! Our stateroom is 8518 and our surname is Larghi.

Looking forward to this cruise!!!

Hi everybody!
We are an Argentinean family: me, my husband, our son (15) and two daughters (14 and 12). This will be our fifth Disney cruise. We've participated in FE on all our cruises, and we had a great experience!! Our stateroom is 8518 and our surname is Larghi.

Looking forward to this cruise!!!
Welcome! If you or anyone is interested in signing up for FE, you can find the link on page 1.

How can I start a thread for the cruise on January 21 2018 from SanJuan ... please help....Disney 7 day cruise ...? Anyone ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!