9:50 AM departure, doable or nail biter?

newbycruiser

May you live as long as you want and want to as lo
because of USAIR's wonderful frequent flier policy, we had to take a 9:50 AM flight home. I know we're pushing it, but by how much?

thanks in advance

Considering that airlines require check in usually 90 minutes prior to departure and the fact that it takes an hour to get from the Port to the Airport, I would book a later flight.

Definitely a nail-biter or worse. On our cruise last year we were delayed getting back to port because of a heart attack victim being airlifted out of Castaway Cay. We didn't start getting off the ship until 10 - we were getting off while people were getting dropped off at the port - was a mess, but DCL handled it very well. Not to say this happens all the time, but it has happened at least once.

I posted a similar question here a few months ago.

This coming December, we had a choice between a direct flight from Orlando to Buffalo leaving at 11 a.m. or one with a two-hour stopover in Baltimore leaving at 11:30. Although I wish we could have taken the 11, the peace of mind an extra half-hour brings is worth it to me. I'd say 9:50's pushing it, I'd hate to end my holiday feeling rushed and stressed! :D

Way beyond nail biter. In the best possible circumstance you skip breakfast or wolf down something from the buffet, rush off the ship at 7:45 (assuming the ship has cleared customs), collect your bags and you're at the airport an hour or less in advance of your flight, assuming you have private transportation to the airport. It's POSSIBLE to make it but if any little thing goes wrong you won't make it.

I'm biting my nails reading your post. I'd say you're probably pushing it. I'd definitely get a later flight just for the peace of mind.

ya ain't gonna make it, when we got back to airport sept 1st and was g oing on escalators up to airport i looked at the clock purposely so i would know next time what time we got back so i could book earlier flights, and it was 945am then i wouldnt go any earlier then 1115 am flight.

ya ain't gonna make it, when we got back to airport sept 1st and was g oing on escalators up to airport i looked at the clock purposely so i would know next time what time we got back so i could book earlier flights, and it was 945am then i wouldnt go any earlier then 1115 am flight. everything had gone smoothly that morning too, you always have a chance on the ship that the foriegn guests that are suppose to report to wavebands before they even allow ANYONE off the ship to disembark may hold you up, they tell you on the ship no ones gets to disembark until then.

because of USAIR's wonderful frequent flier policy, we had to take a 9:50 AM flight home.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Are you on free tickets or is there some new rule about frequent flyers?

thanks for your input, guys, I knew you'd come through. I kind of thought so, but wanted to make sure.

USAIR's has been cutting back flights, laying off people, so flights have been changing, and they have severely limited flights on which you can redeem your FF miles, at least that's what I'm finding. Plus their prices are out of site. For a ticket next Sept. from PIT to MCO. USAIR's price was $1110, and Delta's was $210...go figure!

USAIR's has been cutting back flights, laying off people, so flights have been changing, and they have severely limited flights on which you can redeem your FF miles, at least that's what I'm finding. Plus their prices are out of site. For a ticket next Sept. from PIT to MCO. USAIR's price was $1110, and Delta's was $210...go figure!

I fly US Air every week so here are my 2 cents.

1. I've had no trouble with FF availability even since the bankruptcy. In fact, we are flying on free tickets for our cruise at Thanksgiving, so that says something...You may have to connect, which you are likely not used to from PIT but which for me is a fact of flying anywhere beyond the hubs.

2. PIT has been hit hard by the cutbacks, but if the airline begins to recover, I think that you'll see flights added back from/to there.

3. IMHO, I think that except for trying to book an award ticket which does require you to commit this far ahead, you are booking too soon. Your flights will get changed a bunch of times (see all the threads on this topic on these boards) and you are giving the airline your money to hold for close to a year. Given that none of the US majors are in good financial health, I don't want them holding my money! You will do as well to book anywhere from 90-120 days out, or even sooner.

If you want the real deal on any airline from a FF perspective, check out the boards at flyertalk.com.

I hope this helps you.

I hate to be the dissenting opinion but we have made a 9:50 AM flight twice after our cruise. I won't say we were not panicked that we would not make it, because we were, but we did have time to spare. We got right off the ship at 7:30, grabbed our bags, got to our rental car and were in the airport by 8:45. We did e-ticket checkin so no lines and strolled through security. I fly a lot and really getting to the airport an hour early works pretty good right now.

Now, with all that said, we are booking our return flight after our cruise in December and we are taking the 11:30 rather than the 10 AM because they are the same price and I just get too worried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter