9 days left to go and I'm getting burnout

Deanna404

Earning My Ears
We've been planning our trip for about 8 months. It's just me and DH. I did my research and got a notebook to keep everything in. I bought airline tickets early. I did my ADRs and FP+s on time. I ordered new luggage and a few other things needed (although I seem to keep thinking of things, and a new package arrives in the mail at least once a week). We got our special magic bands and extra luggage tags. I know how to use the "My Disney Experience" app. All my laundry is done, and I am packed except for the stuff I can't pack until the "day of". (DH has his laundry done, but still needs to pack.)

Now I am wiped out. I find that the thing I'm looking forward to the most is lying by the pool at the hotel under an umbrella. Back when I was doing all the planning I was excited, listening to podcasts, coming here to DISboards to get advice. But now, I'm just . . . blah.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of burnout before the actual vacation even begins? What do you do for it? I want to be excited about my vacation again!

Oh No!! I'm sad to hear this. Whenever I get the burnout, which does happen, I watch like POV ride/parade videos and get psyched to go again. Maybe that might help and do it right before you go, but not now? Like, the other day, watched the skyliner video and just a had to go do it afterwards.

This happens to me, too. Almost like all the anticipation kept me on an adrenaline high and I started crashing. What I've learned is to just let the crash happen. Sleep on the plane ride down. But the spark reignites when I start seeing the signs to Disney bus in the airport. By the time we get to the resort, I'm hyped up again. So don't panic - you'll have a great time!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of burnout before the actual vacation even begins? What do you do for it? I want to be excited about my vacation again!

Every. Single. Time. Ugh!

I find that the two weeks leading up to the trip is when I start rethinking and doubting my plans. Everything to my trip itinerary to my ADRs to “do I even like Disney anymore”? 😂 I think it is like the PP said. My adrenaline and excitement comes from the planning and anticipation and once everything is done, I crash hard.

I find that it doesn’t subside for me until my second day. I need to wake up in Disney to full decompress and feel on vacation. The travel day is always so stressful to me since I am very planned out about timing to and from the airport and making sure everything and everyone is organized and ready to go. Even when we get checked in the hotel and out the parks, I find myself still feeling “on edge”.

But by the end of every trip, I am already planning my next one (or two or three)!

Have a great time! Enjoy your time by the pool breathing in that Disney air!

We've been planning our trip for about 8 months. It's just me and DH. I did my research and got a notebook to keep everything in. I bought airline tickets early. I did my ADRs and FP+s on time. I ordered new luggage and a few other things needed (although I seem to keep thinking of things, and a new package arrives in the mail at least once a week). We got our special magic bands and extra luggage tags. I know how to use the "My Disney Experience" app. All my laundry is done, and I am packed except for the stuff I can't pack until the "day of". (DH has his laundry done, but still needs to pack.)

Now I am wiped out. I find that the thing I'm looking forward to the most is lying by the pool at the hotel under an umbrella. Back when I was doing all the planning I was excited, listening to podcasts, coming here to DISboards to get advice. But now, I'm just . . . blah.

We will be there next friday and i am in the midst of the same activities as you and it can be overwhelming. I always get the same way before my trips and find that true excitement doesn't set in until i get there and i think its because i spend so much time thinking about everything and worrying about things going wrong that I don’t allow myself to get happy until i am there. Don’t know if that makes sense. Once I am there I am full of energy and excitement and ready to get up and go and have fun but for the week before it would appear outwardly that I am not at all excited about it.

Going on vacation shouldn't turn into a 'job' with all of the planning and organizing. I can't tell if the OP has been to Disney before or if this is their first trip. I would suggest you not stress over planning every minute of your trip. You honestly have no idea how crowded Disney might be and if it rains some day, you will probably want to change your plans.

You will enjoy your vacation far more if you relax and treat it less like a job then a time to do less structured activities.

I find that the two weeks leading up to the trip is when I start rethinking and doubting my plans. Everything to my trip itinerary to my ADRs to “do I even like Disney anymore”? 😂 I think it is like the PP said. My adrenaline and excitement comes from the planning and anticipation and once everything is done, I crash hard.

I have about 10 months till we go and I am like this right now!
My DP and DDS are already tired of me talking about the vacation. I was just asking my DP about travel plans and he said "It is WAY too early to talk about this." When I get to this point, I just talk to my sister who is a bigger Disney fan. She was a college program CM for years and went through the internship program. If I can't talk to her I watch YouTube or listen to Podcasts about Disney.

Last edited:

This will be me in 2 months! 😁

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think it might be a good idea to lay off the Disney stuff until right before I go (after all, everything is done!)

In response to @_19disnA , I've been to Disney many times. But I have either not been the one in charge of planning it, or I just winged it without any plans whatsoever. And I've always had a great time. But this time, I did get sucked into this vortex of Planning. I'll guess I'll find out when I'm there if all the planning pays off. Will I have even More Fun (!) since I have all these plans? I'm going to play it cool, though - it's good to have a plan, but it's also good to change the plan if it's not working or if something better comes along.

@cincystamper I'm going to hope some of your magic pixie dust rubs off on me. Hopefully, I'll get excited when I see the signs in the airport. Actually, I upgraded our airline seats, so maybe I'll get some pixie dust when I'm _flying_ - that would be appropriate. All it might take is a cocktail on the way down to Orlando.

Honestly, glad to hear you're thinking of just laying off the Disney stuff until the trip--I think that's best. Just let the burnout/crash happen and come out the other side of it. Don't try to force yourself to feel excited. It sounds like you're already on top of the prep work (that's usually what sets me off--if I don't prepare far enough ahead of time I feel overwhelmed and it sets off a cascading feeling of "I don't even want to go anymore because I'm so stressed by the idea of it"), so I'd just check in with yourself about whether there's anything that you need to do to make yourself feel more confident and then just...yeah, let it go. Set those bags aside in your closet, stop fussing with last minute changes, and find something else to occupy yourself. Maybe grab a new book to read this week, or binge watch a show you've been wanting to see, or heck, clean the house within an inch of its life. The excitement will come back when you're actually there.

I tend to pack 20 days early and re write my daily planner atleast 5 times... That I prolly won't use once. But it makes me feel better knowing it's all set and ready. Just take a breather and enjoy the few days u have before your vacation and get to enjoy all the planning you did :)

What's wrong with thinking about lying by the pool, absolutely nothing in my book, it's a vacation, and stretching out by the pool and doing nothing is
A-okay...

I get what you are saying though.... It's sorta the lull before the storm... Once you head out the door, you will start to feel the vacation vibe starting to settle back in... Once you land and see the Disney signs, the vibe will pick up some more, then when you start getting settled in your room more vacation vibes, and excitement start to build up whether that is throwing on you bathing suit and hitting the pool, or getting on a bus heading for the parks, or Disney Springs... the excitement and relaxation will take over... and then the magic starts....

Have a wonderful and magical trip... pixiedust:

Last edited:

I find that it doesn’t subside for me until my second day. I need to wake up in Disney to full decompress and feel on vacation. The travel day is always so stressful to me since I am very planned out about timing to and from the airport and making sure everything and everyone is organized and ready to go. Even when we get checked in the hotel and out the parks, I find myself still feeling “on edge”.

But by the end of every trip, I am already planning my next one (or two or three)!

Have a great time! Enjoy your time by the pool breathing in that Disney air!

This is so true and happens to me every time. I’m leaving for my first solo trip a week from today. This morning I woke up and looked on MDE and started second guessing my FP’s and the order I was doing things, what parks I chose to visit on each day, etc. Right now I’m crashing hard but I know in a week I’ll be in Orlando airport and I’ll be rejuvenated and ready to rock. Now I just need to decide if I should go to MNSSHP on Friday or Sunday night. 😊

We leave in 5 weeks and I already have planning burnout. This will be our 3rd trip this year, so maybe it was just too much?

Too early to start packing, so I am catching up on some Disney vlogs and podcasts to stay in the mood.

This is my fourth trip this year and I’m definitely feeling a little burnout. Each of my last three trips were super short, 1-2 days only. I have never been this many times in one year, I just felt the pull more because of a lot of personal things going on in my life where I needed a quick escape. This trip originally started with the idea of staying at a deluxe resort, something I’ve never done, and basically laying at the pool for four days and not doing the parks. Now I’m staying at a Disney springs resort and have a four day park hopper and debating on a night for MNSSHP. so much for original plans!

Well, I have to admit that we will do FP's and an occasional ADR but the days of uber planning are over. Truthfully, I don't like to do too much planning because then I try and fit everything in and that's very stressful.

So you're planned, packed, figured out your clothes so you can eliminate the need for a purse or backpack in the parks and your good to go. Go Relax.

This always happens to me too. I enjoy the planning and tweaking in the months leading up to my trips and get kind of sad when that part is over. Once I’m on WDW property the excitement begins building again, though.

Thanks for his thread, OP. It helps to know I’m not the only one who experiences this!

Yup, I'm there too. The last hurdle for us was making FPs at 30 days out for my brother who will only be joining us just one day. I'm still checking in a bit to see if I miss new park hours or anything, but other than that I'm tired of planning. I'll watch a few vlogs while I pack and that's it!

I keep telling myself the planning I do pays dividends while we're there and not stressing. Just keep swimming...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!