9 days out and disaster has struck! Mobility advice appreciated

Maggie at the Fort

Mouseketeer
We are 9 days out from a 12 night reservation at the Fort. It has been two years and we wre so excited. But Sat afternoon my husband broke his foot. We are still in shock and trying to figure out if this is even possible. We pull a pop up with a suburban. I think I can get it set up with minimal help from him. But that is just the start. 9 days of park hoppers, 3 kids (ages 9,6, and 3), handling transportation, trips to the pool... He is currently on crutches and we will know more as soon as he can get in to see the orthopedist. We are talking about renting an evc. It looks like we can get one that can store in the suburban and just the battery goes into the camper to charge.

Does anyone have anything encouraging to offer? Any tips for navigating the fort with mobility issues? I know this isn't the end of the world and families face all sorts of challenges. But I'm struggling right now with the practicalities of this.

Wow sorry to here that. I have no info, but maybe try a post in the disability section also? I would definitely try to rent something for him to get around in. As for the rest, it will be a challange, but i think you will have to make due. You might miss out on a few things that you planned to do, but i think otherwise you will be able to swing it. I know, not to helpfull. See if disney has something to rent while there, it might not be cheaper but would free up room in the tv.

Wow sorry to here that. I have no info, but maybe try a post in the disability section also? I would definitely try to rent something for him to get around in. As for the rest, it will be a challange, but i think you will have to make due. You might miss out on a few things that you planned to do, but i think otherwise you will be able to swing it. I know, not to helpfull. See if disney has something to rent while there, it might not be cheaper but would free up room in the tv.
Really depends on the particulars of the break. I had one (jogging and came down on a hose across a sidewalk just right). and a doctor put on a walking cast. I looked up my break on the internet and found that the standard of care for my break was evolving away from walking cast to just supportive shoes. I took the cast off myself and just wore good shoes and never had any problems whatsoever.

I would wait for what the orthopedist says. If he can move around easily with crutches a EMV may get in the way. Particularly on and off buses, trams, rides etc.

So Sorry that happened, but try not to let it spoil the trip for your family. Due to a disability, I've used ECV rental from Buena Vista scooters about 5 times at the Fort and also at a Disney value resort.. Scooter is delivered to the bell captain the morning of your arrival, and you leave it at bell captain the morning you check out. Disney is wonderful with their transportation systems. I've been on the busses and the boats and the monorail with the ECV and cast members are always helpful. The battery lasted all day in the parks, and just plug it in at night. You can get a 10% discount by telling them you saw ad on AllEars site, also discount for extended stays (over 5 days i think), I last rented in April and it was about $28./day. So while you're pushing the little one in a carriage, Dad's scooting along next to you. Rides were no problem (although some I had to transfer from scooter to ride), rest rooms for those with disabilities are convenient. Worked well for me every time. If the doctor says it's OK for him, it is a great option. He'll have to look at it as a new adventure.

Last edited:
I would wait for what the orthopedist says. If he can move around easily with crutches a EMV may get in the way. Particularly on and off buses, trams, rides etc.

So sorry to hear, I slipped on the ice and broke my ankle a few years ago, ortho said bed rest for 3 weeks, no driving, I was in quite a lot of pain, but it depends on the severity of the break. there is no way I could have tried Disney.

I would definitely steer clear of crutches. I broke my ankle when I was younger (teen), and we went to downtown Pittsburgh for the day. I thought No Big Deal! After a few hours, my hands and the sides of my ribcage under my armpits, where the crutches rubbed, hurt so bad I was ready to cry.

I'd suggest at least a Knee Walker Scooter, if not your plan to get an EVC. The Scooter would also offer a place to sit if his knee gets tired.

Good luck to you! I hope it all works out. :)

My husband tore his calf muscle 10 days before our trip. He used a knee scooter and it was fine most places just challenging at AK with the uneven walkways.

I am so sorry for your accident. In Nov. I broke my right hip. Fell off the 3rd step of the camper. After surgery stayed in rehab for 10 days. I sure did mes up our 3 week vacation. Disney was right there in seconds to help us. Our neighbors were so great helping us. Will be praying for a quick recovery!

I assume you've reserved a partial hook up spot, I would add a request for the 1500 loop and have them note that it's due in part because of mobility issues for a member of your party. It's much easier to get to the pool on an ECV from the 1500 loop and it involves only crossing one street. It's a smaller loop so the walks to the comfort station are generally shorter as well.

This happened to me right before three camping trips. I broke my right ankle which also happens to the gas pedal foot. Couldn't drive or tow. We had to cancel all three trips. I would get a wheelchair for sure. I used a wheel chair for the Norfolk zoo out here, and crutched it at Busch Gardens which was a workout.

I would go ECV... I wouldn't chance putting my recovery back by putting to much strain or weight on that foot. Disney is so ECV friendly, it seems like a no brainer..

FWIW, I went to Disney shortly after hip replacement. I thought about getting a mobility scooter but just decided to use a wheelchair and it was fine and easier to transport (although I had gotten a hitch platform to carry a mobility scooter around). I believe I was well enough that I could walk with a cane for short distances so that's what I did to transfer to rides.

Sorry to hear that your husband broke his foot. We will be at the at the Fort from 6/2-6/9 if you need any help setting up or anything. We rented a scooter from an offsite rental company before when we stayed at Bonnet Creek. They delivered it and picked it up at the condo. The only issue I can see there is loading and unloading it into the vehicle. They are heavy and would probably require 2 people to load and unload.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and encouragement ❤❤.
My husband saw the orthopedist yesterday and we are confirmed for the trip. He is ok to drive on it so that helps. He ordered a knee scooter (the one with the big tires) but we will also be renting an ecv. We reserved one of the go-go ones and I am confident I can lift the pieces of that. He has to put no weight on his foot for 8-10 weeks. This way he can use either as he needs them. I know this is going to be tiring for him.

We will be in a premium site (we pay to put our pop up in among the big rigs because I love the locations). We celebrated with Mickey bars (from Publix) last night. On Sunday my wonderful in-laws are going to come help me with loading.
Keep us in your thoughts and if you will be there and see us around the fort please say hi!

Glad to here your trekking on! Have fun. Take it slow. And take some pictures of the pop up and post them if you can. The few of us there is left have to stick together!

Op. Here’s to a speedy recovery, an uneventful trek to/from and a great visit!!!! Glad he’s cleared to go. And remember even if it’s a bit different this visit... it’s still DISNEY! Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!