9 months to go -Are we there yet? Our 1st official Family Trip :)7 Mo, 4 Wks to go...

So I was looking through my plan and realized I have one table credit too many... now I am looking at options. Ughh...

Good thing we still have 9 months :)

Its been awhile since I have posted...

So my life has currently been swamped with Christmas.

Not that it is a bad thing, because its really starting to feel like Christmas around our house. I was getting anxious, feeling like everything was creeping in on me.

I found some adorable fabric the other day at Hobby Lobby. It has a real retro/funky feeling to it. I bought 3 yards... and was wanting to make a dress with it, then I thought a purse would be cute... Then from fabric to projects... maybe I could make purses for all the girls in our family... and I could make pajama bottoms for the guys... but realistically I don't have that kind of time on my hands :sad2:

So now I am thinking about making stockings. I mean the pattern would be so simple, but what kind of fabric? I would prefer to make something similar to this...
blogstocking2.jpg

But maybe a smaller cuff and for fabric... I thought it would be nice to match the fabric to personalities.

For example, my husband is a Cubs fan... so I could make his stocking Cubs. DD5 loves Cinderella and I could use Cinderella fabric. This would be very unmatchy though.

And do I use some kind of interfacing or batting in between the exterior and interior fabrics?

Any thoughts?

I've only made one stocking, and it was out of denim, so nothing else was really needed, with the lighterweight cotton though, I think I would use some batting in between the layers and then do some topstitching..maybe outline some of the pattern or something ? As far as them not being matchy-matchy, maybe you choose a color that matched the different fabrics and use it for the cuff? Ours don't match at all, but it doesn't bother me at all, I'm more of a "homey" Christmas decorations person than a matcher!

I've only made one stocking, and it was out of denim, so nothing else was really needed, with the lighterweight cotton though, I think I would use some batting in between the layers and then do some topstitching..maybe outline some of the pattern or something ? As far as them not being matchy-matchy, maybe you choose a color that matched the different fabrics and use it for the cuff? Ours don't match at all, but it doesn't bother me at all, I'm more of a "homey" Christmas decorations person than a matcher!

We went out last night and bought some fabric :)

It was so much fun.

The girls picked Spiderman for DH, DD7 picked pink with silver stars, DD5 picked Princesses, and DD4 picked Tinkerbell. I have some cute fabric I bought the other day that I am using for mine.

As far as matchy goes, I chose a satin lining and cuff. They match the fabric they chose, but they are all silky so they look like they belong together.

I took a picture of DH's lemme see if I can upload it.

stocking.jpg
blogstocking2.jpg

LOL! When you look at the two of them side by side... I think I really need to redo DH's. I didn't have a pattern and just copied another stocking.

Oh and also, it is annoying me that the satin doesn't stay where it is supposed to be, so I am thinking about doing as you mentioned with the sewing through all the fabric a few designs (like a quilt).

I admire you for even taking on the satin! LOL. I made Piper's "fairy princess" costume a couple of years ago for halloween out of satin, and errmmm..we'll just say a fairy princess would never say some of the things that were coming out of my mouth!

Don't change the stocking *smiles* part of the great thing of having something homemade in the house is the little idiosyncrasies. Back in "olden days" women always made sure each quilt had one mistake, so as to imply no one is perfect except God. The denim stocking I had made was horrible looking (I had just started to sew, and didn't use a pattern either) but my family would be heartbroken if it disappeared. Then again...if it really bugs ya..change it, but I'd leave it alone . :rotfl:

I admire you for even taking on the satin! LOL. I made Piper's "fairy princess" costume a couple of years ago for halloween out of satin, and errmmm..we'll just say a fairy princess would never say some of the things that were coming out of my mouth!

Don't change the stocking *smiles* part of the great thing of having something homemade in the house is the little idiosyncrasies. Back in "olden days" women always made sure each quilt had one mistake, so as to imply no one is perfect except God. The denim stocking I had made was horrible looking (I had just started to sew, and didn't use a pattern either) but my family would be heartbroken if it disappeared. Then again...if it really bugs ya..change it, but I'd leave it alone . :rotfl:

Aww thanks for reminding me it doesn't have to be perfect :)

I still haven't had time to finish the other 4 stockings! I was hoping to do them this weekend while DH is away at work and the kiddos are going with my mother on a short trip... but my cousin has planned us a "girls night out" and shopping extravaganza this weekend :goodvibes

You're welcome..that's what I tell myself when I finish sewing something and see a mistake..LOL. Ermm..the girls night out and shopping extravaganza sounds good to me too...what time are you picking me up? Seriously though, enjoy the relaxation, your sewing machine isn't going anywhere!

Wow, I'm impressed with the dresses you made w/o a pattern! I ran a needle through my finger in home-ec in high school and have pretty much declared myself a non-sewer ever since. I use heat-n-bond and fabric glue for the kids Halloween costumes. :rolleyes1

Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessing about ADRs months in advance (and getting hungry reading the menus!). I can't wait to read more!

Wow, I'm impressed with the dresses you made w/o a pattern! I ran a needle through my finger in home-ec in high school and have pretty much declared myself a non-sewer ever since. I use heat-n-bond and fabric glue for the kids Halloween costumes. :rolleyes1

Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessing about ADRs months in advance (and getting hungry reading the menus!). I can't wait to read more!

Aww thanks!! I never even took home ec... I took drafting instead :) And now I draw houseplans... which is probably why I can make things without patterns. I can view things in my mind and place them.

Heat n Bond works too! I used that for the children's thanksgiving shirts. We drew hands and make tukeys out of fall fabric and bonded them to the shirts. Then used fabric "puff" paint to outline.

Hoping you all had a wonderful holiday and that everything is going well. :hug:

Thank you very much!! I am off to read your report and see how the "surprise" went!

So I have been putting together a plan for my sisters baby

Tell me what you guys think...

Crib Blanket - 45 x 60 Using Minky/Cotton with a Rick Rack Border. I was going to use the same general idea as the Free Receiving blanket pattern from YCMT.

3 Bibs - Using leftover Minky/Cotton from Blanket. I want to use a snap, I have seen them on etsy... but I dont know how to do snaps. Any ideas? I also don't have a pattern for this. I want it to have the snaps to the side instead of in the back. Does anyone know of a pattern? Or should I make my own?

3 Receiving Blankets - 40 x 40 Using Flannel/Cotton. I have considered just doing flannel with a rolled edge instead of the YMCT pattern - but most likely not.

Diaper Bag - Using the Onesie Diaper Bag pattern on YCMT. I it and am planning to make myself one as a tote bag (no onesie) My cousin is expecting in August and I think this pattern will get a lot of use. I plan to use coordinating fabrics and Rick Rack somewhere.

Changing Pad - I should have 12 x 54 left from the Crib blanket and was hoping that 12" would be wide enough for a changing pad. If I find some in stores, I can always go up a few inches, but if I order online I have to go up another 1/2 yard. Maybe I could find another use for the leftover Minky.
I was going to use a ribbon for a tie or maybe some Rick Rack, but I think that would be hard to tie.

And Last...
6-12 Burp Cloths- I will have approximately 14 x 126 leftover from the receiving blankets (double if I make them double thick) and am planning to use the YCMT pattern. I found a 12 pack of cloth diapers to use and might make her 12 or make her 6 and save the other 6 for my cousin.

What do you guys think?

So I have been putting together a plan for my sisters baby

Tell me what you guys think...

Crib Blanket - 45 x 60 Using Minky/Cotton with a Rick Rack Border. I was going to use the same general idea as the Free Receiving blanket pattern from YCMT.

3 Bibs - Using leftover Minky/Cotton from Blanket. I want to use a snap, I have seen them on etsy... but I dont know how to do snaps. Any ideas? I also don't have a pattern for this. I want it to have the snaps to the side instead of in the back. Does anyone know of a pattern? Or should I make my own?

3 Receiving Blankets - 40 x 40 Using Flannel/Cotton. I have considered just doing flannel with a rolled edge instead of the YMCT pattern - but most likely not.

Diaper Bag - Using the Onesie Diaper Bag pattern on YCMT. I it and am planning to make myself one as a tote bag (no onesie) My cousin is expecting in August and I think this pattern will get a lot of use. I plan to use coordinating fabrics and Rick Rack somewhere.

Changing Pad - I should have 12 x 54 left from the Crib blanket and was hoping that 12" would be wide enough for a changing pad. If I find some in stores, I can always go up a few inches, but if I order online I have to go up another 1/2 yard. Maybe I could find another use for the leftover Minky.
I was going to use a ribbon for a tie or maybe some Rick Rack, but I think that would be hard to tie.

And Last...
6-12 Burp Cloths- I will have approximately 14 x 126 leftover from the receiving blankets (double if I make them double thick) and am planning to use the YCMT pattern. I found a 12 pack of cloth diapers to use and might make her 12 or make her 6 and save the other 6 for my cousin.

What do you guys think?

Very cool idea :) The only thing I've made that you've listed are the burping clothes from cloth diapers, but I've made a ton to use for shower gifts, etc, and they are always veeery well received! They're just so durable. As far as snaps go, they are easy-peasy, I don't think you'll have any problem with them at all. They come in a kit with everything you need to place and set them. :goodvibes. I don't know if 12" is wide enough for a changing pad, but Piper was 9!! lbs..so I may not be the one to ask, lol. Ribbon sounds like it would make better ties than rick-rack, I agree with you on that one. You could also use velcro for the bibs instead of snaps if that appeals..I hate sewing on velcro, lol, but it is handy for things like that. If you decide the minky isn't wide enough, there are tons of cute minky patterns for things like animals, a blankee with an animal head, etc.

I want to see a piccie of the diaper bag when it's done, never heard of that pattern and it sounds really cute!

Ohhh its so hard to plan for Disney when I have so many things going on.

Ok first: I am working on my sisters baby shower gifts. Oh I also have to arrange the shower :) which is supposed to be on March 13th. That is as eary as my sister could beg me to make it.

She says she needs time to figure out what is left after the shower/before the baby. :confused3 lol

Second: I signed up for the Give A Day, Get A Day. We are going to be making blankets for Project Linus in Central Illinois :hug: It really sounds fun! Since we will already have multi- day tickets, I am going to let Alayna choose if she would like the fast passes, the ears?trading pins, or to donate her ticket... and then I will follow suit with mine and DH's tickets. I figured if she chooses the hat/trading pins, the two little ones could have mine and DH's.

Third: I have now decided I definitely would like to go to Island of Adventure, possibly Universal, but probably just IOA.

Fourth: I finally got to join in on my first Big Give :hug::hug:

I am really excited about that!

Fifth: I have a Cinderella-fied dress i am going to be making for my niece who turns 5 in February.

And now... as soon as the clock strikes midnight... ohh I mean 5 :) ... I am headed off to Hobby Lobby to see what fabric catches my eye.

Ohhh its so hard to plan for Disney when I have so many things going on.

Ok first: I am working on my sisters baby shower gifts. Oh I also have to arrange the shower :) which is supposed to be on March 13th. That is as eary as my sister could beg me to make it.

She says she needs time to figure out what is left after the shower/before the baby. :confused3 lol

Second: I signed up for the Give A Day, Get A Day. We are going to be making blankets for Project Linus in Central Illinois :hug: It really sounds fun! Since we will already have multi- day tickets, I am going to let Alayna choose if she would like the fast passes, the ears?trading pins, or to donate her ticket... and then I will follow suit with mine and DH's tickets. I figured if she chooses the hat/trading pins, the two little ones could have mine and DH's.

Third: I have now decided I definitely would like to go to Island of Adventure, possibly Universal, but probably just IOA.

Fourth: I finally got to join in on my first Big Give :hug::hug:

I am really excited about that!

Fifth: I have a Cinderella-fied dress i am going to be making for my niece who turns 5 in February.

And now... as soon as the clock strikes midnight... ohh I mean 5 :) ... I am headed off to Hobby Lobby to see what fabric catches my eye.

I can't believe you're doing all this on top of working..it makes me tired just thinking about it! :worship: Don't forget I want to see a piccie of the diaper bag when it's done! I've been scanning the Give A Day listings, but we don't have Project Linus listed, which is a shame, I know Piper would really enjoy doing blankets, we've done pillowcases for the children's floor of the hospital she goes to, and she loved seeing the looks on the kid's faces when they got the pillowcases. I'll let you know all about Universal when we get back! Really hoping Harry Potter is going to open.. :banana: Piper and I both love the books. Okay, you know what I'm thinking about the Big Give and your first project :rolleyes1 I know someone who would be very excited if you were on their give..prob more excited than you are ;) And hooray for the dress for your niece!! I know she'll love it! Glad you're back on and around :hug:

I'm exhausted just from reading that! I hope you're family appreciates all that you do for them. :)

I will post pictures of my creations as soon as they are finished. With an exception of the Big Give :rolleyes1 That will come later.
I can't believe you're doing all this on top of working..it makes me tired just thinking about it! :worship: Don't forget I want to see a piccie of the diaper bag when it's done! I've been scanning the Give A Day listings, but we don't have Project Linus listed, which is a shame, I know Piper would really enjoy doing blankets, we've done pillowcases for the children's floor of the hospital she goes to, and she loved seeing the looks on the kid's faces when they got the pillowcases. I'll let you know all about Universal when we get back! Really hoping Harry Potter is going to open.. :banana: Piper and I both love the books. Okay, you know what I'm thinking about the Big Give and your first project :rolleyes1 I know someone who would be very excited if you were on their give..prob more excited than you are ;) And hooray for the dress for your niece!! I know she'll love it! Glad you're back on and around :hug:

I bought some fabric last night to work on a "diaper bag". It is a very cute design and am planning to make myself a tote bag first. (I like to practice the patterns before making "gifts" - or so thats what I tell myself :rolleyes1)

For Project Linus/GAD - Type in this zip code 62535 and see if she would allow you to mail them in. That is what I am doing. :) That would be great if you guys could get an extra Disney day! Or the alternatives are great too!

I :love: Harry potter! My sister and I vowed years ago to make a trip to IOA when they opened. Oh how jealous she will be when she find out what my plans are...(insert evil smilie) Actually I kinda feel bad now :upsidedow

As far as the Big Give... its reallllllllly hard for me not bust open at the seems right now :rotfl:

I really hope my niece will love her dress. I am pretty sure that she will love it, I am just afraid her mother may not. She isn't snooty, but I can see her not liking my style. LOL... it is so hard to explain.

I'm exhausted just from reading that! I hope you're family appreciates all that you do for them. :)

Thank you! I sure hope they do too :goodvibes

So very very bad news... I'm going from a full time salary position - to a part time hourly position.

Vacation planning has to come to a halt :sad1:

So very very bad news... I'm going from a full time salary position - to a part time hourly position.

Vacation planning has to come to a halt :sad1:

Crystal,
I cannot even tell you how sorry I am to hear that. :hug: If you need to talk, feel free to pm and we can exchange IMs or whatever. Is there any chance of finding something else p/t in your field to supplement, or something you can do p/t from home? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hello! :wave2:

Found your PTR. I am sorry to hear about the cut in hours. I hope that things are getting better. :hug: LOVE all the sewing projects you have going on. I would love :lovestruc to see pictures at some point if you care to post. :goodvibes

Hey guys! It has been tough to get online. My laptop has the "inverter" that has gone bad... so I have been having to "borrow" computers until I can get mine fixed. Fortunately DH has declared it on the list of importance, unfortunately fixing the transmission in his truck is # 1 :scared1:

So I promise that even if I am not replying or posting on your trip reports, I am trying to read along, via blackberry :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter