_Chat: How old were your parents when they became grandparents?

My dad was 68 and my mom 65.
They had me at 38 and 35.
I had my DD at 30.

She had her DD when she was 17 and I was 47.

My mother was 59.

I was 63.

Neither my father nor my husband lived to see their grandchildren.

64 and 65. My grandmother became a great-grandma at 90. Three generations of women, and the earliest pregnancy was at age 26. Also, notably, since 1948 my distaff side has produced a total of 3 children. That's it. My mom, me, and my daughter.

Mine were 55 and 50. My dad always laughed that he didn't want to be a Papa until he was at least 55. He turned 55 and 2 months later my nephew was born!

My parents never became grandparents. My father died when I was 15. Neither my brother nor I ever became fathers.

When my mother was in her early 70's I asked her if she was secretly upset that she would never have grandchildren. On the contrary, she said she was relieved. As she got older, she said babies and small kids annoyed her.

Sometimes the more interesting number is the span between the first one and the last one. Certainly is in my mother's case. (Not including my Dad in this because he died young. He only knew 3 of his grandchildren, but there are at total of 6. Besides that, men naturally tend to have a longer run at the parenthood game if they marry multiple times (though neither of my parents did; all of the children they had were theirs together.) Looking at the female line is far more instructive.))

My parents' first grandchild was born in 1962 (when they were 48 & 50), and the final one in 2007. That just about doubles the range from the first to final time they became parents: 1940-1962.

Being as I'm the youngest and now in my late 50's, and that my eldest dislikes children, I don't expect either of my children to have children in my lifetime.

Last edited:

My maternal grandparents were 34 and 35. My parental grandparents were 39 and 40. My parents were 16 and 18 when they had me.

I had every single great grandparent alive on all 4 branches except one alive when I was born, and several great-greats.

My family procreated young. The bonus is that you have lots of grandma and grandpas to love you.

67 and 63

We all seem to have kids later. My parents were 35 and 31 when I was born. I didn't have kids until I was 32, 34, and 37.

My dad's parents were in their mid 30s when he was born.

Both DH and I are the first born in our families. Our DD was the first grandchild on both sides. My mum was 61 and DH parents were 56 & 57 when DD was born.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!