_Plane

Rays Daddy

Rays Daddy
Any tips on helping to make Raymond enjoy his first plane ride to Orlando. (leaving from Newark airport)

Thank You,
Bennet

How old is Ray and what kinds of issues are you concerned about?

Is your flight early, late, etc.? Any change of planes? Has he flown before?

Hope we can help!

besides what Figment1964 wrote, is there any equipment you have to transport?
Even if he hasn't flown before, have you?
Is it just you and him, or do you have more people in your party?

Hopefully with a bit more information, we'll be able to help you.

Okay, so I looked at some of your past posts, and I see that Raymond is a 2.5 year old autistic little boy.

We have a little guy, a high-functioning autistic, who's now 6.5, and he's never had many problems flying, but here's a few suggestions for you.

During the planes decent, Raymond's ears will be greatly affected by the pressure change (OUCH!) Try getting him to swallow by giving him sips of water/juice/milk or whatever he likes, as it helps to relieve the pressure in his ears. Earplugs may help as well, but getting earplugs into a 2.5 year old, and keeping them in, could be a challenge. If he's still on a bottle, during the planes decent is the perfect time to give it to him. :sunny:

Now, as far as keeping him occupied and happy during the flight, I'd bring items he likes from home. Does he like to spin the wheels on toy cars over and over? If so, bring some toy cars, or even better, bring a small abacus (he'll love it if he likes to spin wheels!).

He may also like to play with those little pipe cleaners that you can get by the hundreds at craft stores. They're soft and fuzzy and bend in every which way, so you and he could make all sorts of fun shapes and figures.

What could be a lifesaver for you though is a portable DVD player and some of his favorite programs/shows/movies/characters on DVD, so he can focus on that during the flight. If he doesn't like earphones, I wouldn't worry about it. We just came back from DL, and our DS watched movies on his DVD player without earphones, and because of the noise created by the jet's engines, no one around us could hear our son's DVD's. We asked around just to make sure that his DVD's weren't disturbing anyone, and everyone said they couldn't even hear it - YEAH! :cheer2:

Hope you have an excellent trip! :cool1:

front row seating. We always try to get the front row as there is quite a bit more room and no one for DS to kick with his legs. DS sometimes gets out of his seat and sits on the ground. Most airlines reserve these and do not let you reserve them until you check in at the gate. It is a great spot!!!

D said:
front row seating. We always try to get the front row as there is quite a bit more room and no one for DS to kick with his legs. DS sometimes gets out of his seat and sits on the ground. Most airlines reserve these and do not let you reserve them until you check in at the gate. It is a great spot!!!

Actually, on a lot of planes now the bulkhead seats are the exit row seats, and no one under 16 can sit there. Also, they are open to frequent fliers to book in advance, so they are seldom still available when you get to the airport.

If kicking is going to be a problem, it's a good idea to try to put someone from your party into the seat in front of your son.

I'd also try to get him a window seat with you in the middle, he can look outside and is a little more "corralled".

Bring his favorite small, quiet toys from home. And the pipe cleaner idea is a great one--I always give them to my nieces and nephews to play with on the plane. Hours of inexpensive, disposable entertainment.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter