A Bad Day at Sea - ship vs pier

Ouch to Disney's ship! That's an unusual occurrence for them.

Is that picture of the torn ship the one in the video, or an example of what could have happened had they hit it wrong? That's some pretty serious damage.

not related to the current incident .. where I don't see any hole

the gash happened in Costa Maya a few years back. they were stuck

there for a few days pending temporary repairs as I recall.

Say, on the Disney ship ding from Nassau, anyone get in trouble for that?

Who was captain or was it a pilot from the port?

Have seen no followup and doubt we will

happened out of the US on a non US flag ship with no injuries

USCG and NTSB have no reason to get involved altho are sometimes invited to assist the flag state. USCG would have inspected the damage on next port call to ensure safety for next sailing but from what was reported this was the ship equiv' of a fender bender.

Say, on the Disney ship ding from Nassau, anyone get in trouble for that?

Who was captain or was it a pilot from the port?

I believe someone said it was Captain Henry who was on board - but I'm pretty sure I've seen recent reports of him being captain, so he must still be with the company. We never heard who was in control of the ship - a pilot or someone else.

in the Nassau situation, maneuvering in port, a pilot is always on board but a pilot in this situation is always an 'advisor' to the Master., who remains responsible for safe navigation. The law requires this advisor be there (and paid for) but the interaction between this advisor and the Master can take on many forms. I've seen pilots who never opened their mouth except to say thank you for the fee ($$) and a cup of coffee. And I've seen times when the Master stood in the back of the bridge and allowed the pilot to give all commands for rudder and engines .... I've seen times when no one on the bridge spoke the language of the pilot ..... it is a 'curious' dynamic to the job of ship's master. (b4 someone is compelled to mention, this relationship of advisor takes on a different flavor in the Panama Canal where the pilot DOES assume navigational responsibility.)

IME on cruise ships in Nassau: when the ship is a weekly (or even twice weekly) visitor the pilot generally stands aside and allows the Master or his designate 'drive' once the parking place and bow in or bow out has been agreed to.

:scared:

Wow! We they able to get out to sea after that?

This occurred at approx 9am Tuesday morning Honduras time and after 'minor' repairs, they left at 3:30am the next morning on their way to the next scheduled stop in Belize City. You can bet after that, some pretty nervous passengers would be watching the next docking....

This occurred at approx 9am Tuesday morning Honduras time and after 'minor' repairs, they left at 3:30am the next morning on their way to the next scheduled stop in Belize City. You can bet after that, some pretty nervous passengers would be watching the next docking....
I know I’d be up when I hear the engine fire up! The whole rest of the trip.

I was surprised when I was aft on 5 that I heard more engine noise then when I was on deck 2 forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!