A Bash, a Benson, and a Banshee: A DIS 20th Event Solo Trip ** new Aug 2nd, 2017 - Complete! **

How cool to watch Illuminations right after the concert with a perfect view. I miss Tapestry of Nations so much.
We got the C section of Soarin once never again.
Glad you got to ride TT again.
Great photo at the end.
Oh - you made me smile, and sad at the same time, remembering Tapestry of Nations (and Tapestry of Dreams). Seeing as how popular these were, I still have NO idea why they were done, and/or why Epcot never had another night time parade. :(

07_Nice%20Work%20Pal.jpg

My favorite line from a preshow!!

we actually ran into Amber and Marie there - I know that is one of their favorite spots to watch Illuminations. I didn't want to bother them too much as I know this is a favorite show for them and just wanted to let them enjoy it, but it was nice to have the chance to say hello again and let them know how much I appreicated getting to spend some time with them the previous day

Didn't it feel like everyone was one big family?

We got back to Pop and by the time I got changed and settled, etc. it was a bout 2am. What a long and amazing and tiring day! To think it started about 17 hours earlier and included:
  • Running a 5K around Pop/AoA
  • Disney Springs for some souvenir shopping and a great lunch at Homecomin,
  • Winning a few things at the auction (during which the DIS team passed $500k total in donations to Give Kids the World)
  • That terribly long trip from Pop to Wilderness Lodge
  • Drinks and snacks at both Geyser Point and Trader Sam's
  • Watching Happily Ever After from the ferry dock
  • The party - including my first trip on Test Track, watching Jodi Benson perform, and Illuminations

I am a bit tired just writing it all out!

I'm a bit tired just reading about it! What an exciting day!

Oh - you made me smile, and sad at the same time, remembering Tapestry of Nations (and Tapestry of Dreams). Seeing as how popular these were, I still have NO idea why they were done, and/or why Epcot never had another night time parade. :(
I know my youngest was 7 when we saw it last and she still remembers that parade. The stilt walkers handing her a dream :goodvibes

Part 26: Test Track again and the night ends
Friday June 2nd 12:45am pm - 2:00am

At this point we realized we likely only had time for one more ride before 1am hit and we all turned back into pumpkins. We made the call for it to be Test Track so hustled across Future World for another spin.

01_Test%20Track%20entrance.jpg

Slightly different styled car this time - and did get the ride photo this time (I was next to Ryan and Jamie was in the back and had been in our group most of that night and also with us in Animal Kingdom the night before - hard to think that was only like 24 hours earlier!)

02_Test%20Track%20car.jpg
03_ride%20photo.jpg

After that ride it was just after 1am and the party was technically over. Ryan and I were both getting a ride back to Pop from Dina again that evening so we were messaging where to meet up - she was saying goodbye to people at the Land Pavilion so we headed that way to meet up with her outside of the pavilion). Alexa was also coming with us and she came out first and then Dina did a bit later - hey, lots of people to say goodbye to!)

Then we made our way out - I had to take one picture at least of Spaceship Earth ... it was looking mighty pretty and how often do you see it with literally no one around it?!?!

04_SSE%20empty.jpg

We then asked a cast member at the gates if she would mind taking a group photo - she was super friendly and very happy to ... and at this point it was 1:30am and the party was definitely over so it was very much appreciated. Left to right it is Alexa, me, Ryan, and Dina

05_Group%20photo%20infront%20of%20SSE.jpg

We got back to Pop and by the time I got changed and settled, etc. it was a bout 2am. What a long and amazing and tiring day! To think it started about 17 hours earlier and included:
  • Running a 5K around Pop/AoA
  • Disney Springs for some souvenir shopping and a great lunch at Homecomin,
  • Winning a few things at the auction (during which the DIS team passed $500k total in donations to Give Kids the World)
  • That terribly long trip from Pop to Wilderness Lodge
  • Drinks and snacks at both Geyser Point and Trader Sam's
  • Watching Happily Ever After from the ferry dock
  • The party - including my first trip on Test Track, watching Jodi Benson perform, and Illuminations

I am a bit tired just writing it all out!

Coming up next - the last day as I head home!

TTFN

It was a great day! I was lucky to share it with all of you. I really appreciate your report, Phil -you're doing a masterful job!

The private illuminations was fantastic! It was so cool to just walk out five minutes before the show started and find a good spot for the show.

Totally agree on Soarin. being off to the side makes a difference for sure!

Boy do I look sunburnt in that TT photo!

That CM was super nice at the end of a long night. It was a great way to end a great night with some amazing new friends!

Absolutely - just so neat to have that show "just" for us

haha - I am sure we all got a bit of color. I was pretty proud of myself that I did remember to apply sunscreen quite often (I really only go from white -> off whie -> red as a lobster)

Agree - glad we got that pic at the end!

Awesome report, awesome pic of Spaceship Earth, and of you guys! Yes, I DEFINITELY got tired reading about your LOOOOOONG day, but it did bring back great memories of some of mine in days past - which usually included closing down maybe the AC, maybe the Jazz Club, but usually SOMEWHERE on PI!! :)

Thanks Heidi! Yeah, hard not to overdo it sometimes when on vacation and you want to maximize your time there - especially when they had PI and there was something going on late!

I still have fond memories of the Beach Club there (and letting Judi have some of my drink even though she wasn't 21 yet - shhhh don't tell)

This is great love it. How do you make these gifs?

What a long day but sounds like it was a blast and one you won't soon forget.

Thank you! No idea if it is the best way to make the gifs but what I do is
- film with my old, little point and shoot camera
- use a video editing software to cut the clips to around 8-12 seconds max and export as a .mov
- use an online file converter to convert the .mov to .gif

Was a long day - but also felt like a bit of a "once in a lifetime" thing so glad to have done it!

I take it you DISers had Epcot to yourselves? Heaven!

I was lucky enough to ride Soarin' twice in January and both times asked for the front row center. So worth the wait.

Test Track is a favorite of ours. Very cool that you were able to manage two rides!

yeah, I probably should have covered in more detail exactly what the event was but the main thing for the DIS 20th anniversary was they rented out EPCOT after the normal close so we had it to ourselves from 11pm to 1am (though, it was just Future World and only 4 attractions open - but still, very cool!)

Definitely worth it to ask for the center - I won't make that mistake again!

I know some people stuck at one of the main rides and got in like a dozen rides or something - but we moved around a bit more so only got in 3 rides total (2 TT and 1 Soarin')

I agree riding the monorail into Epcot provides the most beautiful view. We got some great pictures during our March trip of F&G.
I want to thank you so much I am loving all the group meets and pictures from party night. I'm sad we weren't able to attend but with you sharing I feel like we were there.
I can't believe you had never rode TT. Now you have to take the family they will love it.
Wow seeing Jodi Benson preform must have been amazing.

How cool to watch Illuminations right after the concert with a perfect view. I miss Tapestry of Nations so much.
We got the C section of Soarin once never again.
Glad you got to ride TT again.
Great photo at the end.

I also just think it is a neat concept - like a bit of a preview of what is to come. I can imagine it is even that much more beautiful during Flower and Garden

It definitely was a bummer knowing not everyone could make it - but glad you are enjoying the trip and it is helping you feel included

I know! just one of those things that other rides were always a higher priority - definitely will have to take the family on TT next trip!

I was definitely cool to see Jodi Benson perform ... just to see the Little Mermaid sing to us in Disney for a DIS event - just special

It really was amazing to go basically right from the concert to front row Illuminations!

Thank you! I am glad we got that picture in the end!

My favorite line from a preshow!!

Didn't it feel like everyone was one big family?

I'm a bit tired just reading about it! What an exciting day!

I also like "these little beauties" ... but the important thing is that Patrick didn't leave us!!!

It really did - although, it was also funny to see so many people that I had no idea who they were that weren't in the pre-planning group and stuff ... it's like there are these whole sub segments to the DISbooards and I am not a part of all of them

Exciting is a very apt word for the day! very memorable!

It was a great day! I was lucky to share it with all of you. I really appreciate your report, Phil -you're doing a masterful job!

I was really glad we got to hang out GAN - great to meet you in person. And thanks for the kind words about the trip report - doing what I can!

What a great ending to your night! I'm still in awe that you got to see Jodi Benson AT Disney, and then to have some extra time in Epcot- How marvelous! Though looking back at your day- I got tired reading all you accomplished!

Long day for sure! Great view of Illuminations, that must have been so enjoyable to watch without having to battle the crowds! Glad you were able to squeeze in 2 more rides as well before calling it a night. Love those last 2 shots before you left!

What a great ending to your night! I'm still in awe that you got to see Jodi Benson AT Disney, and then to have some extra time in Epcot- How marvelous! Though looking back at your day- I got tired reading all you accomplished!

It was definitely a strong finish! I am not sure if it has truly sunk in that we got to see Jodi sing at Disney like you said

Wow, what a day and great finish to it!

Thanks - definitely had a great ending even if the time did seem to go really fast at EPCOT

Long day for sure! Great view of Illuminations, that must have been so enjoyable to watch without having to battle the crowds! Glad you were able to squeeze in 2 more rides as well before calling it a night. Love those last 2 shots before you left!

It really was so great to just walk up to the railing right before Illuminations started and have room to stretch a bit

Thank you!

What a long and busy day!!! But it sounds like tons of fun. Private Illuminations had to be a pretty incredible experience. I totally agree about Soarin. Where you're sitting is everything on this ride now!

What a long and busy day!!! But it sounds like tons of fun. Private Illuminations had to be a pretty incredible experience. I totally agree about Soarin. Where you're sitting is everything on this ride now!

Long, busy, and fun is a good way to describe the day! I love Illuminations but I think seeing it as a private group even surpassed my expectations for how much I enjoyed it vs on a typical night - very memorable

Part 27: The Beginning of the End
Friday June 2nd 9:00am - 10:00am

I awoke the next morning with no real plans prior to getting picked up by the Tragical Express - though I did know I had a few work calls to take care of. To make things easy I basically got up, got packed up and then went to check out first rather than scramble to check out in between calls - my roommate for the past few days had left prior to when I left so we were all good there.

I went down to the lobby, left my carryon at bag check so I would just have my backpack with me, and went to go check out only to be informed that everything was already settled onto the credit card I had left on file. I haven't stayed on property in a while so I didn't realize that is how it worked and I wanted to pay for the room using a Disney gift card so I had to get on line to get it all changed around (lesson learned).

01_check%20in%20desk.jpg

Not sure if this is typical or just because the line was rather low but I liked how the CMs at the front desk were coming to get the people at the front of the line and bringing them to their station - made it seem more personable. It took a little doing as they had to refund things to my credit card and it had to be in certain amounts so like multiple transactions and then took from the gift card - but in the end I got it settled and the CM was very pleasant about the whole thing - and I wasn't really in a rush so no biggy.

I then walked around the lobby a bit and took pictures of some of the shadow boxes they had full of various collectibles from the different decades - ah memories

02_80s%20board.jpg
03_Music%20and%20atari.jpg

I wasn't sure what to do for breakfast but I hadn't eaten at the Pop quick service location yet so figured it was a good time to try that out so I went there. The Mickey Waffles were calling me so I decided to get a kids meal which came with that and some bacon and sausage. I have to say that I saw some recent reports of people finding the CMs at the Pop quick service location to be, um, less than magical but they were great with me - chatting a bit and just friendly overall. I didn't have too many interactions with the CMs at Pop but everyone I did was great - co complaints from that department.

04_food%20court.jpg
05_counter.jpg

I then took my food and got set up at an outside table and got my laptop up and running - figured if I was going to do work while at Disney, at least could enjoy being outside and the location. The Flatties checked out the food as well. Side note - I loved that the coffee cups had quotes from Walt on them!

06_breakfast%20and%20computer.jpg
07_Flatties%20hungry.jpg

Unfortunately my laptop battery started running out and I couldn't find an outlet outside so I scurried inside while on the call looking for an outlet and found one near the check in desk ... not ideal but I got through my calls as needed. I then refilled my coffee and just walked around a bit, wound up sitting near the pool bar (before it opened) just to rest and relax in my last moments before heading back to reality.

Part 28: Back to Reality and Final Thoughts
Friday June 2nd 10:00am - 2:30pm

Before too long it was time to face the reality that is the Tragical Express:

08_Tragical%20express%20form.jpg

I collected my carry-on from bag check and waited for the bus - the Flatties were trying to keep a positive face, but I could tell they were sad inside as well (the rolled up things sticking out of my bag are the prints I won at the DIS auction)

02_Bags%20in%20front%20of%20bus.jpg
01_flatties%20and%20bag%20waiting%20for%20tragical%20express.jpg

We arrived to the airport with tons of time to spare (especially as I have TSA pre-check and no bags to check or anything). I decided to have lunch at the Macaroni Grill there - we no longer have any hear us but I used to enjoy it. I way over ordered as I got the sampler, but figured it was the last meal of vacation so why not). I also had another work call to take so did that while here before taking the fake-o-rail to my gate

03_lunch%20in%20airport.jpg

But then it was time for the lade ride in Orlando - on that fake-o-rail, and then just waiting for boarding and back to my real life (which is pretty darn good so not really complaining, just going for the dramatic effect ;) )

04_Fakeorail.jpg
05_Flatties%20by%20plane.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I want to thank everyone for reading along and adding in your comments - definitely made it even more fun to relive this trip. This was definitely a one in a lifetime trip that I didn't really think would happen but I am so thankful it did and so thankful to my wife for letting me go.

To get to be at Disney the opening week of Pandora, meet so many fellow Disney fans, friends I have only interacted with online before, have EPCOT to just our group, see Jodi Benson perform and then walk out to a private showing of Illmunations - just really incredible when I look back on it.

Special thanks again to @amberg93 and @MarieLightning for adjusting their plans so we could hang, to @bamacmac for the breakfast invite, and to @AMusicLifeForMe for all of the Animal Kingdom day planning! And of course to Flatties @SorcererHeidi and @pjweaver for joining me on this trip!

Happy to answer any other quesitons regarding my thoughts on POP or anywhere I ate or anything else

TTFN!

Glad you enjoyed your stay at Pop. I sometimes think the values get a bad rap, but I've had some enjoyable stays at them. We mainly just sleep and shower in the room, so sometimes the values just make sense.

Your lunch looks delicious. You have to enjoy yourself because calories don't count on vacation.

Also, you and I have the same laptop.

Another great trip report, Phil! I imagine you are all getting excited for your cruise this winter!

Thank you SO much for putting a huge smile on my REAL face while reading along in your report, @TheMaxRebo. And thanx also for bringing Flatty Me along, I sincerely appreciate that. Hopefully one day I'll be able to meet you, and many other DIS'ers, for REAL, and smile REALLY big! :)

Have to comment that I got lost checking out all the shadow boxes at Pop - every time I looked, I saw something new. Really, really cool. And gee - your laptop desktop is CROWDED, dude!!!!! :) :)

Awesome trip report as always!

It was really great meeting you in person. From Pandora to the party it definitely was a once in a lifetime trip.

Can't wait to hear about those two upcoming cruises!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts