A Cancellation, A Proposal and A Lot of Food - Marathon Weekend 2017 COMPLETE!

Final Thoughts

This was only our second trip to Walt Disney World, but it was one to remember (refer back a few pages for our Proposal story :cloud9:).​

It was our first time doing a split stay on Disney property, and it was so easy! Bell services were fantastic and it was so nice to not have to move our luggage ourselves. I’m not sure if we’ll ever do a full stay in one place again.

It was also our first time renting DVC points, and it was a smooth process- one which we’ve already used again multiple times! I don’t think we could ever afford to pay rack rate for the Deluxe Resorts, so DVC makes it affordable for us. We also loved both Old Key West and Saratoga Springs.

We used the dining plan on our first trip, but opted to pay for all meals out of pocket this time – which we definitely preferred. I don’t see us using the dining plan again.​

It sucks that the half marathon was cancelled for Luke, but it gave us an excuse to attend a runDisney event in California since they allowed him to transfer his registration. I also ran my first ever 5k during this trip, which was so well organized and fun (I don’t see myself ever running a regular 5k though, runDisney events only!)​

Overall, it was a great trip, and I’m so lucky that Luke loves Disney just as much as I do, and that we get to make these memories together <3

Thank you to everyone who followed along! Feel free to come join me on my new trip report (which will now be my main focus since this one is now complete!): Something Borrowed, Blue, Cold & New

I've so enjoyed reading about this trip! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm happily going to continue following your adventures on your other TR thread. :)

It was also our first time renting DVC points, and it was a smooth process- one which we’ve already used again multiple times! I don’t think we could ever afford to pay rack rate for the Deluxe Resorts, so DVC makes it affordable for us. We also loved both Old Key West and Saratoga Springs.
Same here. I would love to stay in a deluxe resort but I just can't at the rack rates. If you don't mind, how did you go about renting the DVC points? It's something I've considered but not sure where to start.

Same here. I would love to stay in a deluxe resort but I just can't at the rack rates. If you don't mind, how did you go about renting the DVC points? It's something I've considered but not sure where to start.

I’ve used both David’s DVC and DVC Rental Store for my vacations, they are similar in price. The big thing is to book early! When we decided to go in December 2018, we were less than 6 months out, so there wasn’t a single DVC studio room available on property for our dates. When I asked about splitting the dates, the only thing open was a Preferred Room at Saratoga Springs for 4 of our 7 nights (which was fine, I like SSR). We had to book the other 3 nights direct through Disney so we went for a value.

You can submit your request early, but they can’t start booking anything until 11 months beforehand. With David’s DVC they require full payment as soon as they secure your reservation, it’s about a 75% payment if you use DVC Rental Store (with the balance due 45 days beforehand).

You can save a lot of money using these places over rack rate! It’s still more expensive than staying at a value, but I booked a 5 night stay in a Standard Studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House, next May with rented DVC points and it worked out to ~$240/night. Rack rate is over $400/night.

I’ve used both David’s DVC and DVC Rental Store for my vacations, they are similar in price. The big thing is to book early! When we decided to go in December 2018, we were less than 6 months out, so there wasn’t a single DVC studio room available on property for our dates. When I asked about splitting the dates, the only thing open was a Preferred Room at Saratoga Springs for 4 of our 7 nights (which was fine, I like SSR). We had to book the other 3 nights direct through Disney so we went for a value.

You can submit your request early, but they can’t start booking anything until 11 months beforehand. With David’s DVC they require full payment as soon as they secure your reservation, it’s about a 75% payment if you use DVC Rental Store (with the balance due 45 days beforehand).

You can save a lot of money using these places over rack rate! It’s still more expensive than staying at a value, but I booked a 5 night stay in a Standard Studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House, next May with rented DVC points and it worked out to ~$240/night. Rack rate is over $400/night.
I'm staying at AK next May too, but May 1-8. Staying in a Studio with Savanah view.

I'm staying at AK next May too, but May 1-8. Staying in a Studio with Savanah view.

I’ll be there May 6-11! I’ll be...somewhere else on Disney property from May 1-6, we just haven’t booked anything yet.

Since your dates overlap, go check out the PTR for “The Most Epic Trip” or whatever it’s called haha. There’s over 20 of us from these boards meeting up!

I’ll be there May 6-11! I’ll be...somewhere else on Disney property from May 1-6, we just haven’t booked anything yet.

Since your dates overlap, go check out the PTR for “The Most Epic Trip” or whatever it’s called haha. There’s over 20 of us from these boards meeting up!
Oh wow, will have to check that out. I'm using my DVC points for this.

AB9CF608-E221-4EC0-88C4-4A143500290B.jpeg

This is such a fun picture!! :)

It was so subtly Disney – you don’t even notice the Fox and the Hound at first glance!

5144F091-B58A-43E6-90CC-F542DC2D6371-e1532738021867-300x300.jpeg
I LOVE the little touches like this that you really have to look to find and appreciate.

Thanks for sharing this awesome trip with us!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter