A Cause For Celebration: A Wedding, A Marathon & A 30th Birthday - January 2018 Update:12/28

I'm Back!

Well, things have been a little busy with us this summer, and I decided I needed a break from the disboards. I would log in, then realize how far behind I was on reading everyone's trip reports, and I was feeling bad about it, so I just stopped coming on altogether... But, I'm feeling better about it now, and I'll be trying to catch up on a few reports slowly over the next few months :)

So, life updates first:

Luke's finger is healing well since his surgery. He still has a few stitches left (almost a month later), but the incision is looking much better! The surgeon/physiotherapist believe he will get back to about 90% movement with his finger, and he's already back to about 60%.

Work has been really busy. We've been on a reduced hours shift for almost 2 years now (I work 32 hours one week, then 40 the next for an average of 36 per week (and I get every Saturday and Sunday off, as well as every other Friday). The past few weeks, I've worked a minimum of 48 hours - which I know isn't a ton in the grand scheme of things, I've worked 80+ hour weeks in the past, but it's been a huge adjustment after how slow it's been for the past little while. This has also affected my Disboards time haha, I used to check in here during my lunch break, but lately I've only been taking 10-15 minutes to eat before getting back to work again. I've always really liked my job though, so I haven't been minding the extra work (or the increased paychecks!)

Another reason I haven't had much time to come on here is because of cats - The same day Luke broke his finger, our neighbour texted us to say that they saw a litter of kittens emerge from under the deck across the street from our house. We have two cats of our own, so I went over with a can of food, and sure enough, there was a momma kitty with 4 little fluffballs.

This picture is a bit blurry, they were all feral and had never met humans before, so this was as close as I could get before they would run and hide under the deck again.

I kept feeding them 2-3 times per day, slowly gaining their trust (and keeping their little bellies full - and most importantly - momma kitty's belly full so she could continue nursing the little ones).

The little one guy was by far the bravest, he was the first one I was able to touch <3

One day I went over, and I only saw three kittens, there was no sign of the second little orange guy :( We still have no idea what happened to him, or where he went. Poor little guy :(

The day of Luke's surgery, we got home and our garage door opener wouldn't work, so we just decided to park on the street in front of our house (something we never do). As soon as we got out of the car, a group of the neighbourhood kids ran over to us, almost in tears because the homeowners where the kittens were living had sprayed under their deck with a hose, and then boarded up the spots where they were climbing under. The kittens and their mom were scattered, and the kids were so upset - but knew I had been kind of looking after them (along with our neighbour who had originally spotted them). So, I got Luke inside since he was still pretty out of it from the medication from his surgery, and I went into action trying to find the kitties. Another neighbour works for a furnace cleaning company, so he grabbed his infared camera and was able to stick it into one of the gaps under the deck, so we could make sure there were no babies still stuck under there (there wasn't). The mother cat was extremely tame by this point, so I found her a few doors down and was able to pick her up and put her into the kennel we owned for our little dog, where I already had a plate of food waiting for her. I was also able to easily find the orange one who trusted me, and I placed him in the kennel as well.

They weren't super thrilled about being caged up, but I moved them to my basement, where I quickly built a little cage in one corner using boxes/totes/etc, and gave them a litter box, fresh water and a plate of food. Another neighbour who was helping us out said she would foster the little orange one, and she had a friend who was actually searching for an orange kitten. So later that evening we handed him over to her, and he went to his furever home the next day <3 .

The next day another neighbour went out and purchased a live trap to see if we could catch the remaining two kittens. Within a few hours, they had the little grey one, and they moved her into our basement to be with her mom as well.

Momma cat was very much enjoying her time inside, she loved toys and as soon as we went down to check on her she would purr and rub up against us. There's also an old couch in our basement, so she was often found sleeping on that.

It took until the next day before we were able to catch the third, and final kitten. This one is a little firecracker.

The two kittens were very happy to see each other, and they became extremely good at escaping from their box cage and finding new places to hide in our basement....

The father cat is a mean looking Tom-Cat who lives in our neighbourhood, we've been seeing him around for about a year now. He's actually let me pet him a few times, he's not a meanie at all!

There's some pretty nice weeds growing in my garden these days haha...

So, at the beginning of August we found ourselves with three extra cats living in our basement, with no idea of what to do with them. We reached out to a few rescue groups in the city, but everyone was completely full. After a week or so, our neighbours (the ones who actually spotted the cats first, and bought the live trap), decided they wanted to try introducing the Momma Cat to their family (2 little girls and another female cat). So, momma cat moved next door, is now called Oatmeal and has already been fixed so no more babies for her <3 .They love her, she has such a great home now.

Luke and I decided we would become a three cat, two dog, five degu household (I know, we might be crazy haha). I've told Luke for years that our next cat would be a grey one, so the grey tabby moved upstairs to join our family. She has been named Loki (I know, it's a boy's name, but trickster kitty suits her). She was terrified of everything at first, but she's already come so far and has become so confident!

Yep, those are our kitchen utensils... little brat made sure we had a full dishwasher that night haha

Our wiener dog, Jax, immediately decided that Loki was his new best friend, and he must become her protector :rolleyes:

Loki was actually pouncing all over my keyboard while I was trying to type this, and somehow managed to hit post... @Raeven I think you might have hit like on this post while it was mid-sentence haha

Both dogs love the new kitten, and our other two cats are tolerating her. There's been no fights yet, so that's always a positive!

The other little kitten is still living in our basement, we haven't even been able to touch it yet to see if its a boy or a girl. We've been calling it "her", but she's still pretty feral and hisses at us if we get too close. Luke and I take turns going down and just sitting on the basement floor moving cat toys around, trying to coax her out but still no luck :( We've named her Hissyface, and have no idea what we're going to do with her...

Last edited:
Wedding and Trip Updates!

It's been awhile since I've posted anything about wedding planning, sorry about that! We actually have a lot accomplished already :)

We went a few weeks ago to finally get our engagement pictures done. Of course we took the two dogs with us!

Our photographer sent us a few sneak peeks, I'm hoping to have all of our high-quality pictures back this week and I'm sure I'll post a bunch of them then :) For now, here's one of our sneak peeks, I love it!

I'm sure I mentioned it before, but we booked our flights back in June. I was very determined to take the direct flight offered once a week, and it was a main factor in us extending our trip to a full two weeks. When we booked, the flight was going to arrive in Orlando at 6:47pm on December 30th, but WestJet has changed the flight time and we will now be landing at 3:32pm! I'm very excited about this, we'll actually get to enjoy some park time that night :) Obviously this means we are now leaving earlier from Edmonton, but it's still not the middle of the night or anything.

All 14 nights of our hotel are booked and all are fully paid for except for two of them.​
  • December 30th and 31st, 2017 - Pop Century​
  • January 1st, 2018 - Grand Floridian​
  • January 2nd-13th, 2018 - Old Key West​
Since we had our hotel and flights now booked, we were able to set up our Disney Magical Express. Our luggage tags have already arrived! I need to call them though, they only send one per person and that just isn't going to cut it on this trip...I'm hoping they are able to give us two more! Also, since we booked our stay at Pop using our room block, it actually mentions our wedding on them, and I love it!

I've actually been really good about not moving too many ADR's around - but of course there's been a few changes (is it even possible to make ADR's and then just leave them alone?!) Here's the original post with our list, any changes we've made since then are noted in red...

December 30th, 2018: Tony's Town Square (9:20pm, 2 people)

December 31st, 2018: Narcoossee's Brunch (11:25am, 2 people), Homecomin' (8:50pm, 2 people)

January 1st, 2018: 1900 Park Fare (6:35pm, 2 people), California Grill (8:55pm, 2 people) - one of these will be dropped, just not sure which one yet

January 2nd, 2018: Boma (7:30am, 2 people), Tiffins (1pm, 2 people), Saana (8:15pm, 2 people)

January 3rd, 2018: Trail's End (9:45am, 2 people)

January 4th, 2018: Mama Melrose (7:25pm, 2 people)

January 5th, 2018: Trattoria El Forno (8:45am, 2 people), Liberty Tree Tavern (6:15pm - cancelled, changed to 4:10pm, 2 people) Happily Ever After Dessert Party (2 people)

January 6th, 2018: Olivia's (8:15am, 3 people - my dad will be flying in on the 5th now) 50's Prime Time (12:50pm, 2 people - changed to 1:05pm for 3 people)

January 7th, 2018: 'Ohana (9:45pm, 18 people)

January 8th, 2018: Le Cellier (12:35/12:45, 18 people - split into 2 reservations), Garden Grill (7:05/7:15, 20 people, split into 2 reservations)

January 9th, 2018: Crystal Palace (8:15am, 20 people), Be Our Guest (1pm. 20 people - split into 2 reservations)

January 10th, 2018: Wedding Day Olivia's (8:25am, 10 people - this will be for Luke and whoever wants to join him. I will be snacking on things in our room with my bridesmaids for breakfast)

January 11th, 2018: Tusker House (10:45am, 12 people)

January 12th, 2018: Beaches and Cream (1:10/1:20, 16 people - split into 2 reservations), Olivia's (9:25am, 12 people - we plan on doing the Star Wars dessert party that night, but we wanted real food afterwards last year too - I guess desserts and alcohol aren't enough to keep us going)

January 13th, 2018: T-Rex (11:15am, 8 people) - there are 8 of us on the same flight from Orlando back to Edmonton, and we will be the last group to be picked up by the Magical Express. I will actually be turning 30 on this day, so I figured what 30 year old doesn't want a birthday lunch with dinosaurs?!

I ordered flowers for my bridesmaids, since I didn't want to pay the crazy prices that Disney charges for extra bouquets. There's a lady in the Disney Bride group on Facebook that makes paper bouquets out of park maps, they look awesome and I'm excited to see them :)

I also ordered a sand unity box from another vendor I found in the Disney Bride Facebook group. I was never set on doing a sand ceremony during our wedding, since the dishes of sand almost always get thrown out, but when I saw these boxes I knew I needed one. It actually has a magnetic closure at the top, you pour the sand between two panes of glass with a design, so it's something we can keep and use as a display piece. I'm actually surprising Luke with this, and am having it Wall-E themed (his favourite!) He knows about the box itself, just not the theme of it. The same lady also makes custom buttons (like the "I'm Celebrating" buttons that Disney gives out). I'm also having these done up with a Wall-E theme, our names and our wedding date. Every person travelling to Orlando for our wedding is going to get one. Luke has no idea about it, I think it's something he's going to love!

We submitted our planning package to our wedding co-ordinator from Disney, and are now just waiting for them to get back to us with our final invoice and details.

Our dessert party menu has been one of the biggest struggles for us, actually. Disney offers sample menus, but none of them appealed to us and we knew we wanted to make a custom one. Things add up quickly with that! Right now, I think we've decided on a menu that is $34/person, but we'll see if we let it stand.

Including ourselves, there are now 17 of us with hotels and flights booked :) Luke and I are so lucky to have such amazing friends and family who are willing to spend so much money on travelling with us! We are allowed to have 18 people at our Escape ceremony (plus ourselves, so 20 in total), so we are almost at capacity.

Sorry there weren't many pictures in this post!

I ordered flowers for my bridesmaids, since I didn't want to pay the crazy prices that Disney charges for extra bouquets. There's a lady in the Disney Bride group on Facebook that makes paper bouquets out of park maps, they look awesome and I'm excited to see them :)

We submitted our planning package to our wedding co-ordinator from Disney, and are now just waiting for them to get back to us with our final invoice and details.

I've seen bouquets made of park maps!! What an incredible, unique touch!! I love them!

It's all getting real now!!!! So excited for all the little details that make this wedding uniquely yours!

I love your T-Rex birthday lunch idea. That really seems like a festive place to celebrate your birthday!

The custom buttons you're getting sound super cute!

Sounds like the details are all really starting to come together ... only a few months left until the big day!

I love the disbrides vendors, they have such neat things! And I feel like it's neat to support other people in the group vs random people off etsy (though I love etsy!)

Can't wait to see engagement pictures! I love that you took your dogs, I would have done that if we had our own. Hopefully the last kitty comes around soon. I hate when people do things like that to strays - if you don't want them around, at least call animal control or something. We have a few stray cats around because we're in an area where 1) people like to dump animals, and 2) most of the neighbors have traps and things, so we end up with strays and raccoons on the property since we don't do that (and we feed the cats - luckily I get free pet food from work sometimes :))

Wedding plans are coming together!! So exciting!!

We've finally decided on our dates for December/January, and I'm booking our flights this week. We'll be doing Dec. 29-Jan. 5 (but our flight out on the 5th is very early in the morning.)

Well, things have been a little busy with us this summer, and I decided I needed a break from the disboards. I would log in, then realize how far behind I was on reading everyone's trip reports, and I was feeling bad about it, so I just stopped coming on altogether... But, I'm feeling better about it now, and I'll be trying to catch up on a few reports slowly over the next few months :)

Understandable. We go through seasons sometimes. I can certainly understand how overwhelming it can be to be behind on so many reports!! That was me (and still is!) when I got home from our honeymoon a couple weeks ago.

The same lady also makes custom buttons (like the "I'm Celebrating" buttons that Disney gives out). I'm also having these done up with a Wall-E theme, our names and our wedding date. Every person travelling to Orlando for our wedding is going to get one. Luke has no idea about it, I think it's something he's going to love!

I love this idea!!!

I've seen bouquets made of park maps!! What an incredible, unique touch!! I love them!

It's all getting real now!!!! So excited for all the little details that make this wedding uniquely yours!

I'm trying to keep the "Disney" in our wedding to a minimum, but I thought park map bouquets would be a great subtle way to make it unique :)

As of yesterday, we are 100 days from leaving for our trip! It's getting close!

I love your T-Rex birthday lunch idea. That really seems like a festive place to celebrate your birthday!

The custom buttons you're getting sound super cute!

Sounds like the details are all really starting to come together ... only a few months left until the big day!

I think the group we are taking to T-Rex will love it!

The custom buttons cost a little more than I would have liked, but I think they are going to be awesome! I just hope everyone appreciates them...

99 days until we leave for Florida!

I love the disbrides vendors, they have such neat things! And I feel like it's neat to support other people in the group vs random people off etsy (though I love etsy!)

Can't wait to see engagement pictures! I love that you took your dogs, I would have done that if we had our own. Hopefully the last kitty comes around soon. I hate when people do things like that to strays - if you don't want them around, at least call animal control or something. We have a few stray cats around because we're in an area where 1) people like to dump animals, and 2) most of the neighbors have traps and things, so we end up with strays and raccoons on the property since we don't do that (and we feed the cats - luckily I get free pet food from work sometimes :))

First of all Alyssa - you're married now!! I can't wait to see pictures!

Now that we have all of our engagement pictures back, I'll add a bunch into the next post I do :)

I agree, I'm such an animal lover I couldn't imagine doing anything bad to one. The basement kitten has actually made huge progress - I don't think she will ever be a cuddly cat, but I think she will make a great companion for someone :)

Wedding plans are coming together!! So exciting!!

We've finally decided on our dates for December/January, and I'm booking our flights this week. We'll be doing Dec. 29-Jan. 5 (but our flight out on the 5th is very early in the morning.)

Ok, we must make plans to meet up at some point!

Understandable. We go through seasons sometimes. I can certainly understand how overwhelming it can be to be behind on so many reports!! That was me (and still is!) when I got home from our honeymoon a couple weeks ago.

I always start reading too many, then I can't keep up with them all! You guys were gone for like 3 weeks (with all the driving days), so I can only imagine how far behind you were on trip reports!

I love this idea!!!

I hope they turn out awesome!

99 Days until WDW
39 Days until Fastpasses
110 Days until our Wedding
:love:

First things first - it's time for the double digits dance for hitting the 99 days until we leave mark!
:dancer::dancer::cool1::cool1:

Remember how I mentioned that we had an engagement party when we were in New Brunswick back in June? And I promised to post some pictures from that, and then never did...Well, I finally remembered, so here you go :)

My mom actually rented a church hall, and hired a group to put on a full turkey supper, which was absolutely delicious!

(and yes, I coat everything in pepper)

The theme was Mickey Mouse, so the hall was decorated in red, black and white.

(this is NOT what we wore to the party haha, this was the night before when we were helping to decorate)

We had fancy cupcakes (that were amazing!) - Cotton Candy, Red Velvet Caramel Skor, Cherry Chip, Creamy Chocolate and Vanilla.

(My mom even had a cake topper made for us - although I don't plan on changing my name)

Close to 70 of my friends and family ended up showing up (if we had decided on having our wedding in my hometown in New Brunswick, the guest list would have EASILY been over 200 before even adding in Luke's family and our friends from Alberta - I have a huge, close-knit extended family, and keep in touch with a lot of my high school friends). My mom wanted to set up a photobooth, and paid one of my high school friends who dabbles in photography to take the pictures. This was such a highlight! Everyone loved it, and there were people lining up to use the props and get their pictures taken all night long!

The backdrop:

The huge table of props!

With two of my little cousins (I only say little because I am 10 years older than the girl, and 12 years older than the boy haha - but they both tower over me!)

Some of my oldest friends - The two on the far left were my best friends in elementary school (we're going back to the early 90's with that!) - and the boy is one of my younger cousins

My handsome husband-to-be :)

Two of my cousins :) The one directly beside me actually drove from Maine to be there! <3

Childhood friends :)

One of my favourite cousins and her husband:

My Momma!

Cousins! The guy directly beside me is a professional figure skater who works for Disney On Ice actually, he just happened to be home the week of my party (we only see each other every few years)

We also asked for no gifts (Luke and I have owned a house for over 2 years now, there's really nothing we need). We also asked for no money, as that was not why we agreed to let this party happen (of course we still did get some). What we did ask of people was to bring a recipe! I decided I wanted to create a cookbook for ourselves filled with the favourite recipes of our family and friends - and people delivered on that! I absolutely love these, most of them are handwritten (and even the ones that are typed up are signed at the bottom by the person we received it from). We ended up with a really wide variety of things - entrees, appetizers, desserts - you name it! We've been having fun this summer trying some of these out, and sending pictures of our attempts to the people we received the recipe from. We are actually heading to Winnipeg next weekend (Luke's hometown), and his family is throwing us a backyard BBQ engagement party, and I know his sister included blank recipe cards with the invitations she sent out - so we'll get to add to our recipe book from his family too!

I seriously love our recipe book so much, and how personalized it is to us! I put them into a nice binder meant for recipes using a variety of sizes of page protectors. At some point I will scan them all to create an electronic backup of them.

Last edited:
Yay double digits!! :banana::banana:

I love all of the engagement party pictures! The photobooth pictures are so fun.

The idea of having people bring you recipes is awesome. I think one of my sister's friends did that for her bridal shower and she ended up with a nice collection of recipes. It's a really cool way to increase your cooking options and have a part of your friends and family with you at all times.

Ok, we must make plans to meet up at some point!

Absolutely!!

You guys were gone for like 3 weeks (with all the driving days), so I can only imagine how far behind you were on trip reports!

Oh, it was wild. I'm still catching up almost a month after getting back. But I'm almost there now :)

First things first - it's time for the double digits dance for hitting the 99 days until we leave mark!

Woooh!! It'll go quickly now :)

We had fancy cupcakes (that were amazing!) - Cotton Candy, Red Velvet Caramel Skor, Cherry Chip, Creamy Chocolate and Vanilla.

Oh. my. goodness. That sounds awesome! What fabulous flavours!

My mom even had a cake topper made for us - although I don't plan on changing my name

This is soo cute! I also didn't change my name, as you probably know. No regrets. I think people should do whatever works best for them.

What we did ask of people was to bring a recipe!

This is SUCH a great idea! How awesome will that be as a keepsake for years to come...

YAY double digits!!!!! YAY Disney themed engagement party!! YAY for your super cute engagement party shoes :)

We did recipe cards for our wedding shower. Love that idea~

We did it! I got a few pictures back so far :D And everything went so well! Just gotta break the news to everyone now.

I love the party decorations! And the recipe cards! I got a Mickey set and binder from Zack's mom just before we left, and while we were gone his family was going to fill out cards. She got me an extra pack so I could get some from my side of the family too. Scanning them is a great idea too!

Yay double digits!! :banana::banana:

It's getting so close! The wedding is exactly 3 months from today! :cheer2:

I love all of the engagement party pictures! The photobooth pictures are so fun.

There was a lot of laughter in that photobooth! And I now have pictures to treasure forever :)

The idea of having people bring you recipes is awesome. I think one of my sister's friends did that for her bridal shower and she ended up with a nice collection of recipes. It's a really cool way to increase your cooking options and have a part of your friends and family with you at all times.

I love our recipes so much! I am not a fan of being in the kitchen at all (Luke does all the cooking in our house), but I've been eyeing up a few of the recipes we have and will be trying them out when I have a free afternoon one day :)

Absolutely!!

Have you started making day-by-day plans for your trip in January? We'll have to start chatting on Facebook to figure out when we can meet :)

Oh, it was wild. I'm still catching up almost a month after getting back. But I'm almost there now :)

Impressive! I've basically given up on ever being caught up on here again haha....

Woooh!! It'll go quickly now :)

Three months from today!

Oh. my. goodness. That sounds awesome! What fabulous flavours!

They were so good! And obviously, I had to do a taste test on every flavour...you know, for research purposes....:rolleyes1

This is soo cute! I also didn't change my name, as you probably know. No regrets. I think people should do whatever works best for them.

I've thought about hypenating my last name with Luke's last night, but I think it would be too long? I have two middle names, and I'm not willing to drop either of them, and then to have two last names - it might be a bit much.

This is SUCH a great idea! How awesome will that be as a keepsake for years to come...

I love it! We had an engagement party in Winnipeg recently, and Luke's family has now added to our recipe collection as well :)

YAY double digits!!!!! YAY Disney themed engagement party!! YAY for your super cute engagement party shoes :)

Thanks for noticing my shoes! I've discovered I can not wear heels any more, but Toms wedges? No problem! And those ones obviously reminded me of a certain mouse :) I plan on wearing them to our second engagement photo shoot in Disneyland next month :)

We did recipe cards for our wedding shower. Love that idea~

Yay! Great minds think alike :)

We did it! I got a few pictures back so far :D And everything went so well! Just gotta break the news to everyone now.

I love the party decorations! And the recipe cards! I got a Mickey set and binder from Zack's mom just before we left, and while we were gone his family was going to fill out cards. She got me an extra pack so I could get some from my side of the family too. Scanning them is a great idea too!

Congratulations! I haven't been on the dis much lately, so I need to jump over to your report to see if you've posted any pictures yet!

Have you started making day-by-day plans for your trip in January? We'll have to start chatting on Facebook to figure out when we can meet :)

We're starting to now, yes! And absolutely, we should. Send me a message sometime so I don't forget!

I've thought about hypenating my last name with Luke's last night, but I think it would be too long? I have two middle names, and I'm not willing to drop either of them, and then to have two last names - it might be a bit much.

Hmm. Yeah, I see what you mean. Either could work, depending on how the length was important to you. We'd talked about how neat it would be to create a new name for both of us to share, as I've heard of some people doing, but it wasn't a good fit for us. I guess we're not THAT progressive yet! haha

I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to let you know that I'm following along. We wanted so badly to do a Disney wedding, but DH's mom was ill and we just couldn't make it happen. We are planning on a vow renewal at some point..either at 15 years (2019) or 20 (2024).

We are going to miss your grand adventure by one day! We don't arrive until the morning of the 14th.

Looking forward to all of your fun!

Hmm. Yeah, I see what you mean. Either could work, depending on how the length was important to you. We'd talked about how neat it would be to create a new name for both of us to share, as I've heard of some people doing, but it wasn't a good fit for us. I guess we're not THAT progressive yet! haha

I've heard about people doing that. Luke and I would be the Antlers :rotfl2:

I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to let you know that I'm following along. We wanted so badly to do a Disney wedding, but DH's mom was ill and we just couldn't make it happen. We are planning on a vow renewal at some point..either at 15 years (2019) or 20 (2024).

We are going to miss your grand adventure by one day! We don't arrive until the morning of the 14th.

Looking forward to all of your fun!

Thanks for joining in! That's too bad that we'll miss each other by only a day!

Congratulations! I haven't been on the dis much lately, so I need to jump over to your report to see if you've posted any pictures yet!
Don't worry, I'm not that on top of it lol. I did start typing a TR, but it's not posted yet - I need a title :) Also I saw your friend request on FB, I've just gone FB silent until we announce the wedding (next week) so I didn't forget you! After I announce it/post it I plan to dive 100% back into social media (since I've been minimal with the family drama). There's a few pictures on Michelle Vazul's Photography fb page right now if you're interested :). I'll be linking those with our announcement.

I was reading your name change discussion with @MeghanEmily :) Just thinking/looking at all the paperwork ahead of me makes me want to second guess changing my name lol. My stepmom hyphenated but goes by either last name casually. I wouldn't want to drop a middle name either if I was you. I think the main thing that makes me sad about changing it is for my dad's sides, because we always refer to the family as the Malones. But out of all my cousins, I only have two male cousins that ended up with the last name Malone. My dad has 3 brothers and 4 sisters, so about half the family ended up with the last name Malone. It seems really weird that in one generation, we went to two people with it, and who knows, in the next generation there might be none! My one cousin is married with a daughter, and his wife has a son from a previous relationship and I don't know if she planned on changing his last name or not. My other cousin is in college, so I guess there's still hope haha! Actually, I'm not sure being sad about changing my name is right, it just made me think of the whole family part of it and I never had before.

Don't worry, I'm not that on top of it lol. I did start typing a TR, but it's not posted yet - I need a title :) Also I saw your friend request on FB, I've just gone FB silent until we announce the wedding (next week) so I didn't forget you! After I announce it/post it I plan to dive 100% back into social media (since I've been minimal with the family drama). There's a few pictures on Michelle Vazul's Photography fb page right now if you're interested :). I'll be linking those with our announcement.

I found your pictures on Michelle's Facebook page - stunning! I love your dress, and I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Disney dog shoes! You and Zach look so happy :lovestruc

I was reading your name change discussion with @MeghanEmily :) Just thinking/looking at all the paperwork ahead of me makes me want to second guess changing my name lol. My stepmom hyphenated but goes by either last name casually. I wouldn't want to drop a middle name either if I was you. I think the main thing that makes me sad about changing it is for my dad's sides, because we always refer to the family as the Malones. But out of all my cousins, I only have two male cousins that ended up with the last name Malone. My dad has 3 brothers and 4 sisters, so about half the family ended up with the last name Malone. It seems really weird that in one generation, we went to two people with it, and who knows, in the next generation there might be none! My one cousin is married with a daughter, and his wife has a son from a previous relationship and I don't know if she planned on changing his last name or not. My other cousin is in college, so I guess there's still hope haha! Actually, I'm not sure being sad about changing my name is right, it just made me think of the whole family part of it and I never had before.

I totally understand! I have my mom's last name (my parents were never married, but were together over 20 years before splitting up). On my mom's side, I'm the only grandchild, so the name will end with me (my grandfather had siblings, and there are boys there to carry on the name, but it's not quite the same...). I'm really conflicted on what to do! Luke is really supportive, and has said he doesn't care if I keep my name. I guess I still have a bit of time to decide...

Winnipeg Engagement Party
A few weeks ago, Luke and I travelled to his hometown of Winnipeg to meet our niece, Isabella :love:. I'm an only child, so I'll only get to be an aunt through Luke's two sisters, so this was pretty exciting for us!

In the picture above - check out Luke's scar on his hand - they had to cut out a piece of the bone from there to try and fuse his finger back together during his surgery back in August.

Also, I can't go through the domestic side of the Edmonton airport without stopping to get some Cookies by George - @pkondz will understand. Seriously though - their gluten free chocolate macaroons are amazing.

His family also asked if they could throw us a little engagement party as well, so we enjoyed a backyard BBQ at Luke's aunt's house with his closest family and friends. It was great! They had all the essential snacks - a variety of potato chips, M&M's and sour patch kids!

While we were in Winnipeg, Luke's sister who just had the baby let us know that she was going to be able to attend our wedding - which also means we now have a flowergirl with our niece coming as well :)

Some family pictures (it was Luke's idea to wear our matching Star Wars shirts :rotfl2:)

Luke's sisters had decided to make our party Disney Princess themed, and had the cake to match - I loved it :rotfl:

They had Princess balloons, and one of our presents was in a Princess bag haha

The present inside that Princess bag were two new Jim Shore figurines :love:

These now join the engagement Jim Shore my mom had bought for us earlier this year :) I guess this is something I collect now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter