A Churro Filled Christmas Vacation

Kiotzu

Mouseketeer
DRUMROLLL....IT'S KIOTZU'S TRIP REPORT TIME

Wow, this took ages for me to get started. I think initially it was post Disney blues and then school and actual Christmas. After that life just decided it would keep me busier than I have ever been in life. I believe only a couple of you followed my first trip report that never got finished. I apologize. I lost motivation and it never came back. One of things that I have worked on in the last 6 months or so is following through on everything I do. Hopefully this means this gets finished. I also apologize in advance as this first bit will be text heavy and I am a borrrrring writer.

Previously I had been to DLR, WDW with my Dad and Sister and then once with my lovely girlfriend, Ally. This time the cast of character's is just her and I. She is a wonderfully patient and accommodating nursing student who allows me to be my eccentric self.

Our first trip I micromanaged everything as I am the huge Disney fan and in retrospect I think I made things not as fun for everyone so this time I did minimal planning. I was set on MaxPass, Churro's and Corn Dog and that is it.

It really all started in September, I was droning on and on about Disneyland and Ally said lets see if we can book a trip on a reasonable budget. I had 2 park hoppers left from when I was a Disney Store cast member and they were coming up on the expiry so this worked well. I hunted for a few days for the best deal and finally found something that worked. We were going to do 2 days in Anaheim at the Best Western Plus Anaheim Orange County Hotel and then 3 days in Long Beach staying at the Hilton. I was happy!

They day before we left was a drag, I worked and around this time call centers become dreadful and I know I gave a lackluster experience but still it was November 15th and I was going to be in Disneyland tomorrow! WOOOOO WOOOOO

By the time I got home that day Ally was completely packed and had packed all of my things that she could. She exclaimed that she took 2 hours packing and deciding what to bring. I think I took 5 minutes and I was ready for the next morning. We left notes for her brother so he would know how to take care of our babies. The first one is Mushu(like from Mulan) and the other is Mila, she is our first cat and honestly my pride and joy.

IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG

Finally we make it to bed and it is now about 12:30AM and our flight is at 7:00AM, being an international flight we have to be there extra early too. It came early and we were still cleaning the sleep out of our eyes when the taxi driver called to announce his arrival. We said our last goodbyes to the cats and heaved our bags to the taxi. I remember when getting in this cab we were overtaken by the thick stench of stale cigarette smoke. I hope this is not the way our trip is going to go. At this time of the morning(I do not remember the exact time) there was no traffic and we got to the airport in 30 minutes or so.

We were greeted by a bustling airport with a sizable line at security. OOF I didn't know Disney was contracting out the waiting in line experience to the airport these days. We checked our bags and made our way over to the long line. After about 30 seconds of waiting this very petite woman said we were selected for extra screening. I can't remember what this entailed but I am sure it was just a pat down on top of the metal detector. It was very quick and we bypassed the line, not a bad way to start the morning.

While waiting fatigue kept trying to take hold and smash us into the ground but fortunately Mickey and friends kept coming in with thoughts of churro's to keep it at bay. Only 5 or 6 more hours until I would be in the happiest on earth. We had also never taken a plane together in our 4 years together so this was a big thing too!!! I love this girl to death and was so excited to see her on a plane, she had only been on one once in her life as opposed to me flying around 2-300 times.

It was uneventful with both of us getting a little bit of rest. It is a bit harder for me you see as my 6'9" frame doesn't fit in cramped airplane seats. I think I still have indents in my knees. Finally though we landed and saw this glorious sign!

IMG_0455.jpg

Okay so I will stop here for now and I will hopefully maybe have another chapter up tonight depending how the rest of my school day and then work go.

Also if anybody could provide some tips on how to embed photos from my flickr that would be lovely.

Last edited:

Let's get this party started!

Okay, where were we. Yes, he had just gotten into LAX. Everything started out so smooth, then I happened. I like to think of myself of reasonable intelligence. Reasonable enough to figure out a baggage claim anyway. So Ally's grandma gave us these bright rainbow straps for our bags so they would stand out. I was super excited no more scoping out every bag. Ally's came quickly and then mine didn't. We were there for about 30 minutes and I was getting frustrated. I mean we were going to Disneyland today and what if they run out of churros. Let's just say I was stressed.

I debated about going to the lost baggage counter, there were 3 bags and 2 other couple's waiting. We watched them go around, the one couple realized oh wow there bag had been going around and quickly depart. LUCKY THEM amirite. The other couple decides to look at the other bag an low and behold it was theirs. I figure maybe I should check this bag, it is blacker than a black hole and has no rainbow strap but whatever. Yea, so funny thing was it fell off and I stood around like a doofus waiting for it.

Regardless!

Onward and upward my mom always says.

Prior to this trip, I had decided we would try Lyft for the first time. I was excited. It took us a while to figure out where they would come but I finally ordered one. In 2 minutes he was here but just kidding he wasn't. He called me and we tried to figure out why the GPS showed us right next to each other but couldn't see one another. He hung up and said he would swing around, nope. He left.

Not to be deterred I ordered another one. This time we were on the road in 5 minutes.

This was a quiet ride but very pleasant. My excitement was building and building. Ally could sense this and it began to creep over her as well. We reached our hotel and quickly checked in, Ally needed a quick shower as I had rushed her out of the house this morning. I obliged but told her to make it quick or I might feed her to the Yeti on the Matterhorn.

I will give her this she was quick and the hotel was nice. I wish I would have taken a photo or two but alas I was just too excited. It was very basic but did the trick.

I think we waited for our next Lyft for maybe 3 minutes before we took the 10-minute drive to the park. I think I was shaking at this point my excitement ready to explode like the closing fireworks. Finally, we were here, I was back. It may have only been 2 years since but it felt like 32 years.

DTR (1 of 79).jpg

What a good feeling, I just love the happiness and excitement when coming into the parks again. We then crossed under my favorite archway, I always said they should make this a keychain.

DTR (2 of 79).jpg

It was now around 1ish and they were getting ready for the parade when begun to make our way into the park. I had not realized how hungry I was, I couldn't remember the last thing I ate but I knew I needed something. Ally grabbed a fruit cup and water from a stand on Main Street and we slowly made our way towards the hub. Where on Goofy's green earth were the churro's. We found hot dog's first and decided that would have to do.

We scarfed those down, let me tell you.

No where would we go first. This is always tough but we were going with the flow today since we arrived late and decided against MaxPass. We scooted along towards the biggest mountain in all the land.

DTR (3 of 79).jpg

I like this picture when it is small but I took it on my phone if I recall correctly and was moving while taking it. The wait time posted was about 35 minutes, I think we waited about 45 or so. Not to bad. During the queue the CM working the attraction cracked some jokes about me hitting my head because I am tall. He was too so I laughed. I hate that I am like this but people who are not very tall joking about hitting your head is not funny, I have hit my head so many times I could cry, errrr tear up, maybe just grunt. It sucks. I have also grown tired of being asked how tall I am. You would never ask somebody how short they were or how much the weighed...rant over. Tall person to tall person though is totally fine.

We made it onto the ride though!

IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0457.JPG

I must have accidentally deleted the photo but the CM made sure I got the front seat, this happened on all of our rides on the Matterhorn this trip. It is nice I must say and this is one of my favorite rides. I still remember realizing how big I was smiling as we were barreling up and down the mountain.

This face is ushering me to bed though so I must go!

IMG_1758.JPG

It's the worst when other people don't understand your need to get to Disneyland as early as humanly possible, haha! :)

It's the worst when other people don't understand your need to get to Disneyland as early as humanly possible, haha! :)

Exactly! Especially the Lyft drivers, speed limits what are those. Trust me I've been on Radiator Springs Racers, I know how to go fast! :rotfl2:

Wow, this took ages for me to get started.

Sheesh! You're almost as slow as.... me!

I think initially it was post Disney blues and then school and actual Christmas.

I get that. I really do.

One of things that I have worked on in the last 6 months or so is following through on everything I do.

How is that working out for you?
Getting everything fini....

She is a wonderfully patient and accommodating nursing student who allows me to be my eccentric self.

Sounds delightful. :)

I was set on MaxPass, Churro's and Corn Dog and that is it.

That's not a bad list! :laughing:

They day before we left was a drag,

Hey, what you wear is your business.

img_0219-jpg.330935

Both are cute, but I love that shot.

our flight is at 7:00AM, being an international flight we have to be there extra early too.

I know. I have no idea why. Does it really take 3 hours to get through customs and security? Nope.

OOF I didn't know Disney was contracting out the waiting in line experience to the airport these days.

They make money everywhere.

Also if anybody could provide some tips on how to embed photos from my flickr that would be lovely.

Sorry. I use Photobucket.

I like to think of myself of reasonable intelligence.

:rolleyes1

I mean we were going to Disneyland today and what if they run out of churros. Let's just say I was stressed.

No churros?
No wonder you were stressed!

Yea, so funny thing was it fell off and I stood around like a doofus waiting for it.

D'oh! But better than being lost.

He hung up and said he would swing around, nope. He left.

Really? Well, what the heck? Can you rate them?

I obliged but told her to make it quick or I might feed her to the Yeti on the Matterhorn.

:laughing: Perfectly understandable.

I think I was shaking at this point my excitement ready to explode like the closing fireworks.

I bet! And I know that feeling!

It may have only been 2 years since but it felt like 32 years.

Know that feeling too.

I always said they should make this a keychain.

dtr-2-of-79-jpg.331336

They can't. Two reasons.
1. It's too heavy to lug around.
2. It's too big to fit in a pocket.

Ally grabbed a fruit cup and water from a stand on Main Street

I'm sorry, what? With all the treats at your disposal... she picked a fruit cup and water??????

Great shot! :thumbsup2

I hate that I am like this but people who are not very tall joking about hitting your head is not funny,

Totally get that. Do they still say "How's the weather up there?"
:sad2:
Perhaps people think you don't know if you're tall? Oy.

I have also grown tired of being asked how tall I am.

Yeah, I get that too. Stupid question. And what does it matter? :sad2:

I often get this reaction, I always just thought they didn't know what to say in the presence of my intelligence.

No churros?
No wonder you were stressed!

I don't often crave them when not at Disney but when it is coming up. Boy do I get a hankering.

D'oh! But better than being lost.

This is true, and LA is not the kind of city I fancy myself lost in.

Really? Well, what the heck? Can you rate them?

He stated I was a no show so I didn't get the chance to rate him I did complain via their customer support but they only reimbursed my no-show fee.

:laughing: Perfectly understandable.

She's lucky, 5 more minutes, I'm telling ya!

I bet! And I know that feeling!

It's funny, I talk to people at work about this and nobody seems to relate. I did recently discover a coworker watching walk through video's though so maybe they are just shy!

They can't. Two reasons.
1. It's too heavy to lug around.
2. It's too big to fit in a pocket.

This is true, maybe I could get it as like a plate of armor, or just a plate would work too!

I'm sorry, what? With all the treats at your disposal... she picked a fruit cup and water??????

She has much better restraint when surrounded by a bounty of delicious treats than I do. She also likes to stay healthy when on vacation.

Great shot! :thumbsup2

Thanks! It was one of my favorites, I just wish it was a tad clearer.

Totally get that. Do they still say "How's the weather up there?"
:sad2:
Perhaps people think you don't know if you're tall? Oy.

That is a common one, but recently I have been asked how I shower a lot! I don't know why all these people are picturing me shower but it is weird.

Yeah, I get that too. Stupid question. And what does it matter? :sad2:

Exactly, at the end of the day I just roll with it but I have a friend my height who is very insecure about the attention it draws and I know he gets very self-conscious when people ask because he does not like being the focus of a crowd. I don't mind being the center of attention but after the 402,983rd time you are asked it gets a bit old.

I often get this reaction, I always just thought they didn't know what to say in the presence of my intelligence.

Sure. That must be it.

I don't often crave them when not at Disney but when it is coming up. Boy do I get a hankering.

Funny thing is... I tried one in MK and was less than impressed. So when I was in DL (twice!) I didn't bother. Only after do I find out the DL churros are apparently much better than WDW ones.

He stated I was a no show so I didn't get the chance to rate him I did complain via their customer support but they only reimbursed my no-show fee.

Hmm... I guess I can see that. Still...

She's lucky, 5 more minutes, I'm telling ya!

:laughing:

It's funny, I talk to people at work about this and nobody seems to relate. I did recently discover a coworker watching walk through video's though so maybe they are just shy!

Is there such a thing as a Disney fanatic who won't talk about Disney? :confused3

This is true, maybe I could get it as like a plate of armor, or just a plate would work too!

Now that makes sense.

She has much better restraint when surrounded by a bounty of delicious treats than I do. She also likes to stay healthy when on vacation.

What language are you speaking???

That is a common one, but recently I have been asked how I shower a lot! I don't know why all these people are picturing me shower but it is weird.

That is.... weird. On many levels.

Sure. That must be it.

I KNEW IT!!

Funny thing is... I tried one in MK and was less than impressed. So when I was in DL (twice!) I didn't bother. Only after do I find out the DL churros are apparently much better than WDW ones.

The DL ones are in a class of their own. I will try the WDW when we go next year.

Hmm... I guess I can see that. Still...

It wasn't the resolution I was looking for but not much I could do.

Is there such a thing as a Disney fanatic who won't talk about Disney? :confused3

Right! Right! Everybody I work with know's that I am a huge fan.

Now that makes sense.

I wonder who I can talk to about getting this plate.

What language are you speaking???

You don't have to tell me! I think I ate enough for the both of us though.

That is.... weird. On many levels.

It's one of the weirder ones I've gotten. I think the weirdest was being asked about my underwear. I think it went something like this. "I know jeans are probably hard to find but are all of your underwear just like a speedo". I don't think I have ever been left speechless before that day.

The DL ones are in a class of their own. I will try the WDW when we go next year.

Lemme know what you think.

It wasn't the resolution I was looking for but not much I could do.

I get that.

Right! Right! Everybody I work with know's that I am a huge fan.

Ditto! Although... I do know that I am in the minority, so I'm usually playing it down. But my co-workers know.

I wonder who I can talk to about getting this plate.

Someone with the last name Disney... or Iger.

It's one of the weirder ones I've gotten. I think the weirdest was being asked about my underwear. I think it went something like this. "I know jeans are probably hard to find but are all of your underwear just like a speedo". I don't think I have ever been left speechless before that day.

"Well, because of my height, they do swing lower than your average person, so I have to be more careful. I wear chain mail underwear as a preventive measure. Wanna see?"

Lemme know what you think.

Will do! I will be taking a ton of notes on that trip so there will be detail descriptions of the sensation provided by each food.

Ditto! Although... I do know that I am in the minority, so I'm usually playing it down. But my co-workers know.

Me as well, I have 1 co-worker who is a big fan but that is it.

Someone with the last name Disney... or Iger.

I went to school with a kid name Disney, this was almost 20 years ago but I wonder if I can find him on facebook and see if he has any ties.

"Well, because of my height, they do swing lower than your average person, so I have to be more careful. I wear chain mail underwear as a preventive measure. Wanna see?"

I almost spit out my coffee :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Will do! I will be taking a ton of notes on that trip so there will be detail descriptions of the sensation provided by each food.

Looking forward to it. :)

Me as well, I have 1 co-worker who is a big fan but that is it.

That's one more than here.

I went to school with a kid name Disney, this was almost 20 years ago but I wonder if I can find him on facebook and see if he has any ties.

Oooohhh... Yeah. Get back in touch. Make sure 1. he's connected and then 2. he becomes your bestest friend.

I almost spit out my coffee :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:rolleyes:

A Little More Happily Ever After

Okay okay, where did we leave off. Ahh yes. We conquered the Matterhorn...IN A BOBSLED no less. I was now buzzing from that first ride but Ally was definitely starting to feel the lack of sleep. We set a course for Frontierland as it is one my favorite themed lands. As we passed through the hub there was a cart selling caffeinated beverages. Hooray for us! I am really big on getting the travel mugs when there are holiday ones and my sister "lost" my previous one so it was time.

DTR (4 of 79).jpg

I am actually a huge fan of this one and can't wait for the holidays this year so I can break out this bad boy. The other thing that I had promised Ally was a new pair of ears. So now that we had food, ride and coffee we took a stroll through the Pioneer Mercantile to see what kind of wares we could find, and yes ears.

I had never noticed this before but I actually found this great fun! Dancing Woody.

DTR (5 of 79).jpg

We are usually quick browsers but this took up a good few minutes of our time. We then made our way to the ears wall!

DTR (6 of 79).jpg

Wow, that's a lot of ears. It took Ally ages to pick out a pair but she finally settled on a pair of blue ones, I believe, I have a photo of all our merchandise that I will show the true colour. Time seemed to be flying by because my stomach was now screaming at me. C'mon quiet down will ya, I got rides to rides and lands to visit. LUCKILY, the reason everybody goes to Disneyland was sitting right near the Pioneer Mercantile and with no line.

DTR (7 of 79).jpg

Wow, I feel great now, it was fresh and totally hit the spot. We quickly pulled up the app and took a look at what would be an efficient next ride. Usually Indy is one of our first rides but since we were already in Frontierland and the wait time wasn't to excessive we hopped in the queue for BTMR. I am always real nervous with BTMR because we have had really bad luck with it being shut down as we are on the stairs up to the trains on previous trips.

DTR (8 of 79).jpg

I think it actually ended up being closer to 20 minutes. We also got the back train which was a bonus, we love that little bit of extra air time. This ride is never one that I am super excited for but once I am in the queue and admiring the details I remember that this is a favorite for me. I often feel like I should have been a cowboy!

Once we took our trip through Big Thunder Mountain we decided to just admire it for a little while as we knew tomorrow was going to be go-go-go. I got possibly my favorite shot from this trip here!

DTR (9 of 79).jpg

AH Why are all these photo's uploading with potato quality. Please o' please can somebody enlighten me on how I can embed uploads from my Flickr into my posts.

We sat here for a while and just relaxed. We slowly jaunted over to the entrance to Star Wars Land to see if we could see much but nope. Just a stinking sign! I must say that sign makes it look very cool and I am beyond excited to check it out. I do think the WDW version looks much cooler just due to having the interactive hotel.

DTR (10 of 79).jpg

I am going to leave it at that but I will be back for a fun filled post very soon!

Okay okay, where did we leave off.

Geez, dude. How should I know?
This is your TR ya know.

We conquered the Matterhorn...IN A BOBSLED no less.

Meh. I used to do something similar every year...
with two little kids in my lap, too!

I am really big on getting the travel mugs when there are holiday ones

Dang. Wish I'd known about those.
Wait... They wouldn't have been out when I was there.

I had never noticed this before but I actually found this great fun! Dancing Woody.

How does it work?

It took Ally ages to pick out a pair

Well sure! This is a big decision, you know.

LUCKILY, the reason everybody goes to Disneyland was sitting right near the Pioneer Mercantile and with no line.

Yeah, yeah.
Go ahead and rub it in.
Now I know!
A little late with that info!

I am always real nervous with BTMR because we have had really bad luck with it being shut down as we are on the stairs up to the trains on previous trips.

I can see that. Glad you made it this time.

I think it actually ended up being closer to 20 minutes. We also got the back train which was a bonus, we love that little bit of extra air time.

I keep hearing that.
I'm going to have to make a point of trying that next time.

I often feel like I should have been a cowboy!

:laughing:

I got possibly my favorite shot from this trip here!

dtr-9-of-79-jpg.332951

::yes:: Nice shot!

Please o' please can somebody enlighten me on how I can embed uploads from my Flickr into my posts.

Sorry. I use photobucket so can't help you.

Geez, dude. How should I know?
This is your TR ya know.

In times like these(midterms), my mind seems to forget everything except the material I study. Which is a plus I guess.

Meh. I used to do something similar every year...
with two little kids in my lap, too!

Wow, I thought I was impressive. I didn't know the Matterhorn was in MB, I thought it was just flat with a couple of valleys. :rotfl:or did you do yearly trips to the MK...if that is the case colour me jealous...or maybe you went to the Alps every year...then colour me terrified.

Dang. Wish I'd known about those.
Wait... They wouldn't have been out when I was there.

I've been lucky the last couple trips, I use my Christmas one often despite being out of season.

How does it work?

Okay, so this is not going to sound too impressive but picture you are playing an old school arcade game with the big buttons except instead of a game Woody moves his hands or feet. That's pretty much it. I had fun with it though.

Well sure! This is a big decision, you know.

Bigger than I could have ever imagined actually.

Yeah, yeah.
Go ahead and rub it in.
Now I know!
A little late with that info!

Next time I go, I will send you one.

I can see that. Glad you made it this time.

I make sure I go at least once a trip even if I have to wait at the entrance until it opens.

I keep hearing that.
I'm going to have to make a point of trying that next time.

In the back at night, it is a totally different experience.

::yes:: Nice shot!

Thanks, hopefully next trip I will have a new lens or two...I am heading to the oil patch for work during my 4 months off school so hopefully I make some cash.

Sorry. I use photobucket so can't help you.

How do you do it on photobucket? Maybe it is the same.

Hopefully I get the next update done once my midterms are finished. Even though my most loyal and possibly only reader is away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!