A claustrophobic rider

I am very claustrophobic and can not handle:

Mission Space
Rock N Rollercoaster, the over head restraints are tight.

The first part of haunted mansion whrn they stuff everyone in that room always gets me!!

Someone on another thread had mentioned feeling claustrophobic on fop but I haven’t tried it yet.

The 2 that bother me are Mission Space and Rock 'N Rollercoaster. RNR is because of the overshoulder restraints and is a new problem. Honestly I have not ridden Mission Space but even see video of it makes me start to panic.

Mission Space is probably the worst. I'm far from claustrophobic and that plus the sheer intensity of the ride made it a one-and-done ride for me.

Also it depends on the extent of the fear: cool with lap bars, but not full blown restraints all over? You may have problems with Rockin Rollercoaster, and maybe even Flight of Passage, since you're buckled in by your back and legs.

Mission Space and the elevator they cram you in for Astro Orbiter. I knew not to try Mission Space, but I didn't know about the little elevator...

I suffer from pretty bad claustrophobia. I’m at the point where any ride with restraints gets me extremely anxious. I will never do Star tours, FOP, ToT, and many others because of it. I have to be very careful with any restraints and will actually put my toes down and knees up so there’s extra room (I don’t ride anything intense so not a safety issue). Had I not done that on TSMM, I don’t know what would have happened in September. I was riding alone with my two 3 year olds and the ride went down. We had to be evacuated - during the wait for our turn things would have gotten really bad if I hadn’t known I could easily get myself out.
So you really need to know and come to terms with how bad your claustrophobia is. Some people can handle restraints as long as its in an open room, then there are those of us who can’t handle restricted movement at all.

Last edited:
I have claustrophobia and Mission Space is definitely out. I have felt slightly claustrophobic on Dinosaur when it went into the darkness. But I haven't had any problems with flight of passage.

FOP for sure for me. airplane going of course. mission. anything with a door shutting. and shows where i'm in the center not aisle. anything with a harness or the belt is too tight. and going into tunnels too slow , some ride do that too (i remember the tram at universal did that to me there was a tunnel with king kong or something).

To OP - you might want to describe examples in real life that make you feel claustrophobic for more help.

Mission Space is obvious as that can make the normally not claustrophobic person feel trapped - but there are some other rides in closed spaces.

I feel like Star Tours is claustrophobic but it also gives me motion sickness so that might play a part

Also remember that you also have to be ok with any ride stopping and being stuck there for a while at any point of the ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter