A claustrophobic rider

I would say that I get mildly claustrophobic and these have been the issues for me:

Mission Space- I had a full blown panic attack. Literally convinced myself I was going to die on that ride. It was in high school when they only had the more intense version, but I still cannot even think about going back on that ride even 13 years later.

FoP- The first time I went on it, the leg restraints briefly freaked me out but once the ride started it felt open and I was fine. Now going on it, I know I truly enjoy the ride and I am calmer and fine with the beginning.

Fantasmic- The crowds here overwhelm me so much and I feel trapped when everyone is exiting. The best luck I have had is sitting in the very front or the very back. I was able to get the front row with a FP and then I just sat and hung out until the theater had emptied out a bit. I also travel solo frequently and sometimes since I'm by myself the CM's will allow me to sit in the back row where they seat wheelchair groups (as long as there is available space). This way I can exit a few minutes before the show ends to allow myself to get out of there before the crowds.

I've personally never had an issue with the stretching room at Haunted Mansion, but I totally see why people do. When I brought my 2.5 year old cousin, I knew he would be terrified if we went in the stretching room, so the CM before you enter the building was able to have us bypass that room. You still have to get in that line to get to the doombuggies which makes me feel like a herded cattle, but at least that is a bit quicker.

so if we all share this problem, how can we solve it?! I'm tired of avoiding things because of thisproblem. and i'm tired of not avoiding things and experiencing this problem because I didn't avoid it! I try little tips and tricks but in a real situation it sneaks up on you. The worst was the simpson ride in universal for me, that was a bad one. I think simulators are worse I guess for me. I don't know why. Would love to get rid of this annoying problem for me for sure.

I find counting backwards from 100 helps if I'm on a ride where I feel trapped for whatever reason. Passes the time and gives my brain something to do

Honestly, for once I would like to not ask my family members to sit in the booth of a restaurant (like garden grill) and I choose the outer edge of it.

This is me. And also needing to sit on the aisle of shows, or at least only have my family between the aisle and me. I don't like it when they tell you to move all the way down in a show because I may get stuck in the middle, so I do try to avoid that.

This is me. And also needing to sit on the aisle of shows, or at least only have my family between the aisle and me. I don't like it when they tell you to move all the way down in a show because I may get stuck in the middle, so I do try to avoid that.

My sister and I are both the same way. I can do seats in the row, but it needs to be family members that I have on the side near the aisle.

I always pick the aisle seat on flights too, or have a family member on that side of me. I like being able to get out without having to explain too much. Easy escape.

Spaceship Earth causes issues for me. I feel trapped.

OMG, this is me. I am OK at the beginning of the ride but as you get to the top, I feel panicky. I have no problem going backwards (probably because I know I am almost out. lol). I don't go on it anymore because I know it wouldn't be pretty if I ever got stuck towards the top.

I hate the part in the Little Mermaid ride where you are going underwater and the shell is kind of backwards. I hope the ride never stops there!

I have a few apps on my cell phone that I would play in case I get stuck. Also having gum or some candies(lollipops) or ice water (keep it in my pocketbook), helps to try to pre-occupy me when I am having anxiety. Anxiety sucks! There is no way I could go on a ride that has a harness over the shoulders. I have no idea how anyone could handle that and what if the ride ever got stuck and you couldn't get out. The thought of that makes me sweat!!!

all of this. i like the tic tac gum type of idea. when boarding the plane i listen to the podcast , dis, actually because the sound of their friendly familiar voices calms me. and of course i choose aisle and front of plane and extra leg room. (which adds to my disney budget!). any other ideas, would love to hear. we should all be able to enjoy these wonderful rides!!!

all of this. i like the tic tac gum type of idea. when boarding the plane i listen to the podcast , dis, actually because the sound of their friendly familiar voices calms me. and of course i choose aisle and front of plane and extra leg room. (which adds to my disney budget!). any other ideas, would love to hear. we should all be able to enjoy these wonderful rides!!!

Yes, me too with the front of the plane and the aisle seat. I learned from being in the back of the plane once and then realized I needed to sit in the front. The plane doesn't bother me until it lands and everyone and their brother gets up and just stands and hovers around me and it feel like FOREVER until you can get off. I hate that trapped feeling. I always have a valium with me "just in case".

Great idea about listening to the Did podcast, that would relax me as well. I have done crossword puzzles before as well, which makes me have to focus on something else. Also, a small hand held fan to blow on my face can help.

I hate the part in the Little Mermaid ride where you are going underwater and the shell is kind of backwards. I hope the ride never stops there!

I'm not fond of the haunted mansion ride either when it goes backwards, it's really extreme and I hope every time it doesn't stop at that point. I don't mind get stopped over the dining room scene. Love that part.

If I get really wound up, I do the 5 4 3 2 1 coping method. Name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can feel, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste. Sometimes I will start with 1 of all of them and work my way up to 5.

For flying, besides getting an aisle seat I also make sure I have a book I really want to read on my e-reader, and music I can listen to on my phone. I sit down, pop a piece of gum in my mouth, put my headphones on, and open up a book. I do make sure I pay attention to the safety spiel too.

Staying hydrated is number one for me in helping to keep me calm. I always have a bottle of water with me at all times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!