A Cruise To Be (Or Not To Be?) Eclipsed, Alaska August 15-22, 2017 Carnival vs Disney Cruise p. 7

The sunrise and rainbow are so pretty.
The glaciers look amazing and that’s a great pic of you and Mark.
Can’t wait to hear about your bear adventure.

Skagway looks like a cute historical town. Interesting notes about the brothel!
The seafood looks so yummy!

The day at sea sounds relaxing. I actually like cold days at sea The thought of curling up with a blanket, a good book and hot chocolate is a luxury I never really get to have at home. Beautiful pictures! It looks like there wasn't an "ugly" view in all of Alaska!

That looks incredible! I hope to some day do an Alaskan cruise. Great picture with Mark!

The glaciers were awesome. A cruise was a great way to see the beauty of Alaska.

Thanks- I like the picture with Mark. I just wish I had one with the whole family from that day.

::yes::

The glaciers are beautiful with the blue ice. It makes me sad to think that global warming is causing the glaciers to melt. I wonder what Glacier Bay will look like 20 years from now.

That is a nice picture of you and Mark. Too bad the boys wouldn't join you. It would have been a great Christmas picture. :)

Was that a small tour boat in the bay with your ship? Did you see any other large cruise ships in the Alaskan waters during your trip? I would think that you were traveling during some of the most popular times of the summer.

I am sad as well at the way the environment is being threatened. The visitor's center at Mendenhall glacier had information and displays showing how far the glacier has retreated in the last 100 years and it is happening even faster every year.

That's what I was thinking about a picture of all of us!!!

:sad2:

The glaciers are just breathtakingly beautiful. I hope one day to be able to see that in person.

The glaciers are amazing. I hope you get a chance to visit Alaska!

:cold:

You saw some great sites! We did go into the Red Onion Saloon- quite the place, and reportedly haunted! We also had some beer- which was really good- at the Brewery there.

The glaciers look breathtaking! We didn't see any goats or bears in June!

We enjoyed the tour of Skagway. A lot of people go out to the Yukon on their own, but we don't like to drive and we heard a lot of great stories and information from our guide.

We thought we saw goats at Mendenhall, but we were wrong. We did see them in gloomy knob/glacier bay and on the Skagway tour.

The salmon were running in mid-August, so it was a great time to see bears!

:fish:

The sunrise and rainbow are so pretty.
The glaciers look amazing and that’s a great pic of you and Mark.
Can’t wait to hear about your bear adventure.

I love going out on deck in the morning to see the how the light changes with the rising sun. Sometimes you get an extra bonus!

I like the picture of us, too. It was my profile picture on Facebook for awhile after the trip.

Bear adventure (FINALLY) coming right up!

:goodvibes

Skagway looks like a cute historical town. Interesting notes about the brothel!
The seafood looks so yummy!

The day at sea sounds relaxing. I actually like cold days at sea The thought of curling up with a blanket, a good book and hot chocolate is a luxury I never really get to have at home. Beautiful pictures! It looks like there wasn't an "ugly" view in all of Alaska!

Both the town of Skagway and the surroundings were incredible.

I'm still not a big fan of days at sea. I like to be doing something. But I won't lie- the hot chocolate on deck was pretty fantastic!

It really is beautiful all around when sailing- you don't want to look away because you might miss something.

:magnify:

Wow! Those glaciers are just amazing! Stunning photos :)

Thank you! Alaska is gorgeous!

:thumbsup2

Last edited:
Ketchikan
Sunday August 20, 2017

Our stop in Ketchikan was brief (7 am to 1 pm), but eventful.

The city of Ketchikan is on an island and is not accessible by automobile. You can only get here by boat or plane. We would be utilizing both in our visit.

This city is known for salmon, totem poles, lumberjacks and as a fishing port. One of the popular excursions in this port is the Misty Fjords float plane tour.

Here is the view while pulling into (and out of Ketchikan). I’ll post all of the city pictures here, both before and after our excursion, followed by posts from the tour

DSCF1855.jpg

DSCF1870.jpg

Check out the steep street in this picture. I asked about this while on the transfer bus to our excursion. We were told that kids sled down that hill in the winter. YIKES!

DSCF1871.jpg

IMG_7899.jpg

DSCF1874.jpg

Creek Street from the ship. We didn’t have time to tour this area formerly populated with bars and bordellos, but now mainly a tourist and shopping destination now.

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7896.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

Ketchikan is known as a rainy city and one of the landmarks is this Liquid Sunshine Gauge

We were fortunate that we didn’t have to deal with any rain while on our tour, but it was sprinkling while we in town.

IMG_7893.jpg

This sculpture pays tribute to the people in the history of Ketchikan- the native people, fishermen, lumberjacks, miners, ladies of the town

We did a little bit of shopping when we were in town after our tour- we were pretty impressed with the prices in the shops in town. We purchased some smoked salmon for ourselves and gifts. Mark got a long-sleeved shirt, Ben and I each got t-shirts. Nate got some huckleberry taffy. I was very tempted to purchase jackets for all of us- the list price was $50, the jackets were on sale for $20 and they looked to be high quality, but we all have jackets so we didn’t need them.

We returned to the ship around noon.

Continued in Next Post: Alaska Bear Adventure

Last edited:

Alaska Bear Adventure

As mentioned previously, we chose the Alaska Bear Adventure through the ship provided by Taquan Air-

Alaska Bear Adventure:

Take part in this unique wildlife experience available only to a small number of visitors.

Take off by floatplane and enjoy a unique wildlife experience available only to a small number of visitors.

Listen to a narrative from your bush pilot as he takes you on an approximate 20 minute flight to a remote location in the Tongass National Forest noted for its salmon rich streams.

See where few forest locations in North America offer the wildlife viewing opportunities found here.

Land and be met by an Alaskan naturalist, and be driven one mile by van along a forest road to the head, a quarter-mile guided hike along the improved trail leads to a viewing platform overlooking a beautiful salmon spawning stream.

Watch for wildlife along the way as your guide identifies the rich variety of vegetation that flourishes in this rich rain-forest environment. In addition to black bears, Sitka black-tailed deer, bald eagles, minks, and martens frequent the area. Wildlife sightings are frequent; however, they cannot be guaranteed.

Look down from a viewing platform on to fast moving rapids, an area where black bears gather to feed on runs of pink, coho and chum salmon, as they head upstream to spawn. See bald eagles perched in the surrounding trees waiting for the fish scraps left by the bears.

At $380 per person, this was a pricey, but priceless tour.

We met the bus that would take us to Taquan air at 7:30. After a short ride, we arrived and received a flight briefing. We were going on the tour with another couple. She had a huge camera and lens and informed the pilot it was 23 pounds because the seating was based on proper weight distribution. Nate was invited to ride in the copilot seat.

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

It was overcast during the 20 minute ride to the pond

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_7882.jpg

This had something to do with military submarines, so I took the picture for Ben and for my dad who worked as an engineer on submarines.

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

An eagle watched our arrival as we landed.

IMG_7707.jpg

We met our guide/naturalist who drove us a short way to a trail. He told us we would be walking about 1/4 mile to the viewing site, along a path that was also used by the bears and was lined by skunk cabbage, one of their favorite snacks. We were instructed to walk 2 by 2, closely together and not to talk or stop. He would lead the way and if we encountered a bear, he would get between our group and the animal.

Works for me!

DSCF1879.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

DSCF1888.jpg

Skunk cabbage that has been sampled by the bears- they tear out the plants and suck the roots.

Answering the age-old question:

DSCF1892.jpg

We didn’t see any bears in the woods, but when we arrived at the platform that overlooks the salmon river, the forestry ranger gave us the thumbs up, indicating that the viewing was great.

And it was!

We spent around 45 minutes watching a half-dozen adult bears and a few cubs. There were a handful of people there when the 7 of us arrived, they left shortly thereafter.

It was fascinating!

Here are my guys at the platform, and a picture that shows how close we were to the river.

IMG_7852.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Bears and Bears and Bears, OH MY!

Patient Bear:

He was sitting on the edge of the river, watching, waiting. Eventually he scored a fish.

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7768.jpg

Mama bear with cubs- we were told she had 4 cubs. We saw her with one at a time, and there was at least one cub sleeping in a nearby tree.

We watched her in the process of catching a fish, and then she came into the woods, just a few feet from our blind.

IMG_7751.jpg

IMG_7752.jpg

IMG_7753.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg

Mama eating a fish up close

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7791%202.jpg

IMG_7867.jpg

Other random bear photos:

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

There was some other wildlife we saw in the time we were there.

We spotted an eagle who flied to and from this branch.

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

There was also a beautiful blue Stellar Jay, but I didn’t get a picture- This is from the interwebs:

Stellar Jay.jpg

At the end of the tour, we walked back along the path. Same procedure. 2 by 2, no talking, huddled together.

We waited for the plane to arrive (with the next group of passengers).

IMG_1109.jpg

The pilot asked Ben if he wanted to ride up front this time. Ben was being polite and declined. I think he wanted to give me the opportunity to take the copilot seat, but the other woman in our group piped up and said “I’ll do it!”

We flew back to the pilots interesting soundtrack- he told us, my plane, my music. I remember “Dead or Alive”, the next song referenced a plane crash, Rocky Mountain High was on the playlist.

We loved this tour!

Next Up: Total Eclipse of the Sun? at Sea and Victoria BC

Last edited:
That bear tour sounded awesome! I can't imagine standing in that blind and getting to watch so many bears catching fish and hanging out on rocks. Even the plane ride seemed pretty unique. Guess it really was worth the price tag.

The bears must have been fascinating to watch. That was truly a once in a life time opportunity. It sounds like you had a great time.

I wonder if the kids sledding down that steep hill go right out into the water :scared:
What an amazing once in a lifetime tour
Very cool Nate got to sit up with the pilot
Your pilot sounds like hoot and such a good picture of the entire family by the plane
Your bear pictures are great and you can be that close

OH MY! That bear excursion looks truly amazing! I just ordered a couple books for my Dad for Christmas about the history of Alaska and the coastline. Once we're into the new year I'll really get planning, and your trip report certainly inspires me! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

That bear tour sounded awesome! I can't imagine standing in that blind and getting to watch so many bears catching fish and hanging out on rocks. Even the plane ride seemed pretty unique. Guess it really was worth the price tag.

The tour was incredible! My only "complaint" is that I couldn't figure out where to look.

Mama bear with cub down below!

Two bears across the river fishing for salmon!

Another bear walking across a log!

Eagle in flight!

It was our first time in a float plane and yes, that was very cool also.

WOW just WOW :0

::yes::

The bears must have been fascinating to watch. That was truly a once in a life time opportunity. It sounds like you had a great time.

This really was one of the best things we have ever done. We loved watching the bears in their natural habitat.

And as we speak, literally, my son Nate is writing a resume and filling out applications for summer internships around the country with places involved in bear and/or wolf conservation. It will be interesting to find out where he will end up with his studies.

:squirrel:

I wonder if the kids sledding down that steep hill go right out into the water :scared:
What an amazing once in a lifetime tour
Very cool Nate got to sit up with the pilot
Your pilot sounds like hoot and such a good picture of the entire family by the plane
Your bear pictures are great and you can be that close

I had the same thought about the sledding!
:scared1:

I was so happy for Nate. The pilot was fantastic.

I don't think I told this story- so the woman photographer was a little overbearing. Although the pilot remained polite, I could tell he was a bit annoyed. We were warned that there were no restrooms for the duration of the tour, so before we boarded the plane, the husband said he was going to use one of the port-a-potties in the parking lot of the airport. The wife followed him and I thought, I might as well go, too so I headed in that direction. After the couple was out of earshot, the pilot whispered to me "Go inside and use the bathroom there- it's cleaner"

:laughing:

We had fantastic views of the bears and there were a limited number of people, less than 10, on the deck with us most of the time.

OH MY! That bear excursion looks truly amazing! I just ordered a couple books for my Dad for Christmas about the history of Alaska and the coastline. Once we're into the new year I'll really get planning, and your trip report certainly inspires me! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

We are so glad we took the bear tour. If you do an excursion in Ketchikan that involves a float plane (Misty Fjords), check out the options through Taquan Air.

Taquan Air website

I hope Nate gets a good internship. Do you think the tours that your family have been on will help him out?

I hope Nate gets a good internship. Do you think the tours that your family have been on will help him out?

I don't think the trip/tours will necessarily help him with qualifying for the internships. More important will be his courses at school and the internship he did last summer at local Audubon center.

The ones he is looking at are in distant states, so if he gets one, we won't see much of him during the summer.

:sad1:

Monday August 21, 2017
Morning: Eclipse :sunny:

Afternoon: Sailing along Vancouver Island

Evening: Victoria British Columbia, Canada

Today we would be at sea for most of the day, sailing along Vancouver Island, heading towards our stop in Victoria, British Columbia. We would be in port for a short time that evening, from 7:30 to 11:30 pm. Apparently, the cruise lines have to make at least one international stop on every cruise to be eligible for tax breaks.

About a month before the cruise, Nate asked “What are the dates of our cruise?” Turns out that we would be cruising off the coast of Vancouver Island during the August 21 solar eclipse, a few hundred miles from the path of totality. The event would be after breakfast, in the 10 am to 11 am timeframe. We were able to get eclipse glasses (from ebay, express shipping) under the wire a couple of days before leaving for Seattle. Phew!

:cool1:

That morning, the last full day of our trip, we woke to the sound of foghorn blast every 5 minutes or so and ZERO visibility…

Well, it’s not like the eclipse can’t be rescheduled to a more convenient time with better weather, right?

eclipse.jpg

I don’t have notes or pictures of what we did for breakfast. I think we did the brunch at sea. But maybe the morning buffet. Who knows?!?

We needed to be done by 9:15 because there was a lecture we wanted to attend.

“Whales Alive!” Learn about the fascinating habits and behaviors of humpbacks, orcas and other amazing marine mammals along the Pacific Northwest with our onboard Naturalist (Steve)”

The timing would be perfect since when it ended it would be time to go to see the eclipse (weather permitting)

We got to the theatre in plenty of time for the talk and waited.

DSCF1941.jpg

And waited...

DSCF1940.jpg

And waited...

And waited...

9:15 No Steve

9:30 No Steve

At some point, others who were waiting for the lecture headed out to find him. They were able to track him down. When he got on stage he gave some kind of lame excuse about the time change screwing him up. We set the clocks back that morning, so he should have been EARLY, not late.

Anyway, we stuck around for the abbreviated talk until around 10 am and then we left.

The Fun Times activities calendar listed a Solar Eclipse Gathering at 10 am “You’ve got the best seats on Earth for today’s solar eclipse aboard your cruise! Join us for a celestial viewing party complete with music and fun”

This is what the conditions were when we went out on deck. The extreme fog had cleared and the sun was in view!

IMG_7907.jpg

There were a few families who had eclipse glasses, but most did not. Someone asked us if we purchased our glasses on board, and we had to tell them no. We shared glasses with others who did not have them.

:cool2:

Others just viewed with their naked eyes.

:sad2:

IMG_1122.jpg

It was kind of awkward trying to photograph the eclipse using the glasses over our camera lenses, especially since it was so windy on the top decks.

Here is a shot without the glasses

And now, with the protective lenses:

DSCF1957%202.jpg

IMG_1166%202.jpg

DSCF1974.jpg

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1988%202.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post- Monday August 21, 2017

For the rest of the day, we would be sailing along Vancouver Island. Shortly after the eclipse was over, a weird fog formed off the coast. We were amazed at how low and thick and level the mist was.

IMG_7912.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

Large birds were flying between land and the ship.

IMG_7915.jpg

I didn’t get a great picture. Even close up, I’m not sure exactly what it is.

We got food from the buffet for lunch. I got a Reuben sandwich from the grill- it was ok, not spectacular. I’m not sure what everyone else got. Probably a mix of items from the various stations.

From noon to 2:30 there was a Chocolate Extravaganza in the dining area, so we grabbed some dessert there.

DSCF2001.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF1996.jpg

We continued to sail along beautiful Vancouver Island. The fog had lifted and the coast was clear!

DSCF2018.jpg

DSCF2034.jpg

We were hanging out, playing cards, when an announcement was made that we were traveling through an area where whale sightings were possible.

For the next hour, we saw a lot of whales in groups of 1 or 2, most a fair distance from the ship, but a couple were quite close. I didn’t have my DSLR/telephoto lens, so my pictures are from my point & shoot.

DSCF2014.jpg

DSCF2019%202.jpg

DSCF2031%202.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

There are 3 whales in this picture- one had just gone underwater alongside a second whale. There is a blow off to the left as well.

Because we would be in port in Victoria starting at 7:30 that night, there were a lot of people waiting to get into the main dining room as soon as the doors opened at 5:30. Once again, the hostesses handed out pagers to everyone and once again, there was no warning to diners that tables were not ready until the pager lights up. So when the pagers all started making sounds simultaneously, everyone returned to the host station only to be told it was not time to be seated.

We were finally seated for dinner, which lasted close to 2 hours. Service was REALLY slow, worse than it had been all week. I think most people with My Time Dining were dining early tonight so they could go into Victoria.

Next Up: Victoria, BC Canada: Cheers to Nate, eh!

Last edited:
How cool to watch the eclipse from a cruise ship! I watched it from my drive way ;)

That sucks that the lecture you wanted to see wasn’t on time.

A whale is one animal I’ve never seen in person but would love to some day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter