A Cupcake a day keeps the Doctor away! Dec 18/Jan 19

Day 10 breakfast was at Trattoria al Forno . I had heard alot online about this place and wanted to try it but our opinion of it kind of went against the popular feeling towards the place but anyways. We checked in and were called fairly quickly after and were seated at a small table off in the corner a little bit away from most other tables. Momma didn’t like it because it was beside a door and she said it was very drafty. They brought out our little frying-pan of pastries and we pretty much devoured them. I had the sun pastry and the multi coloured muffin and loved both of them. Momma had the apple turn over and the other muffin and we halved the chocolate twist.
47408240992_61a5b7a998_z.jpg

Then for the mains I ordered King Triton’s Shipwreck Al Forno (the Calzone.)
33584878168_9679a387ca_z.jpg

I had heard a lot about this and it had looked promising on other trip reports but oh dear lordy it was stinking and very heavy on the garlic. I tried to eat some of it but I don’t even think I managed a quarter of it, it was just horrible. :crazy2: I ended up scrapping all the middle out and just trying to eat the outside but that didn’t make it much better. Momma ordered Flynn’s Feast which was eggs, potato wedges, bacon and sausages:
33584878888_13c5513bf0_z.jpg

It was more edible than the calzone but she said it was cold when they brought it out. :sad2: Character wise we saw Flynn Rider and he said we much be VIP’s because we were seated so far away from the other people :rotfl2:
47408240442_411145e887_z.jpg

We also saw Rapunzal, Eric and Ariel. I had little mermaid themed mouse ears on and Ariel loved these and asked was the fork on the ears a Dinglehopper or a fork. I said it was a Dinglehopper and she said that was the best place to keep the Dinglehopper because then I wouldn’t get it mixed up with the ones on the table to eat with!
47408240942_b54c67c571_z.jpg

The character interaction was fun, it was a shame about the food but I think that was just bad luck on our part with our choices. :confused3 I think if we went back I’d probably play it safer and go with the pancakes! It’s also worth noting there was two rooms at this place, one where the characters were and another where you could just have food and no characters. A man had an argument with a CM behind us because he had booked the breakfast and thought he was going to meet characters but had booked to sit in the room where it was just food and no characters. I was very sick this morning as well and was having a hard time dealing with the cold in the place so once we saw all 4 characters we paid and left both agreeing that this was our least favourite place for food!

We spent the rest of the day in Hollywood studios so later in the evening we had food at the Backlot Express. I got a hot dog meal:
47554830772_aa3885d53c_z.jpg

And still going for a cupcake a day keeps the doctor away I had an Olaf Cupcake:
46883732094_6247033ca8_z.jpg

Momma had the California Chicken Club.
47554830542_daba09316a_z.jpg

All the food here was fine, again not the most exciting but filled a hole and I loved the Olaf cupcake, it looked cute and tasted great!

Day 11 we hung out in Animal Kingdom so our first stop was in Tusker House. I mentioned already I was very sick at this stage in our trip so we woke up late and kind of didn't leave the resort until it was basically time for our breakfast. We asked a CM at the resort reception to ring them and tell them we were on the way but she kind of got snotty and asked us why we were still standing in front of her once we'd asked so we don't know if she actually rang and got through to them or not :confused3 but eitherway when we eventually arrived they didn't say anything about us being late just gave us a pager and we didn't wait to long before being seated! This was our second time at Tusker House as well the last time we were there, there was an over enthusiastic CM trying to win Momma’s affection but Momma wanted to be left alone to eat. He kept coming back and clowning around but she was having none of it. He asked her at one point if it was his hairdo she didn’t like (he was bald.) Then he spotted her putting croissants in her bag so he came back and was like will you like me now because I just saw you putting half the breakfast bar in your bag. The best one was when he came over with three cups and told us it was the best hot chocolate ever and we must try it but then he knocked the tray over and shock horror the cups were all empty, well Momma went from shock to I’m going to kill you in about 2.5 seconds and he scampered off as quickly as he could and didn’t come back. A week before we went to Florida I discovered that the same waiter still worked in Tusker House so I had fingers and toes crossed he would be there but alas he was not and we had a lady called Sylvie waiting on us instead. She pretty much kept her distance except when she was keeping the jungle juice nicely topped up for the whole breakfast. It was a while before characters started to come around so I ran up to get food while we were waiting. There was no breakfast chocolate donuts this time either :eek: but at least they had waffles:

Soon after we got the food the characters came round. We saw Daisy, Goofy, Mickey and Donald who was full of hugs. Momma didn't really care for the characters but I said being hugged by a 5ft duck was making me feel a bit better :rotfl2:

Neither of us had any complaints about this place. The food was good, there was a great selection and the character interaction was fun as well.

We didn't really eat much else in Animal Kingdom as we were so busy running around the Wilderness explorer stations but we did stop for one of these at one point :lovestruc

When we got back to the Art of Animation that evening we had dinner in Landscape of Flavours before heading to our room. This time I got a pepperoni pizza slice which was huge but was better than the pasta I thought:

Momma got an Asian Chicken Dish which had loads in it as well:

Then I got this cupcake to keep up my cupcake a day keeps the doctor away tradition:

This was the second choice of cupcake that night, I didn’t get it because I thought it looked to purple to be healthy… (because the one I got was totally healthy :rotfl2: )

We both enjoyed the food here and found the cupcake filling enough to share one between two.

Last edited:
Day 12: There was no cupcakes today :eek: We had a lie in and went to Epcot late and then because we had an early dinner planned we just kind of snacked it for the early part of the day so Momma had stuff like fruit and I got this thing from a food truck:

I didn't like it so ended up throwing most of it out and then went to the shop beside the Figment ride and got this Rice Krispie treat instead which was much better :rotfl2:

Our dinner was at Artiste Pointe, it was expensive with no dining plan, but we (I) wanted to try and it had Momma's favourite characters at it. We booked the first sitting of the day as well so we could go to the Parks for the evening. The check in was fairly quick and easy and when we were seated there was a little apple shaped card on the table with the characters autographs on that you could keep but they would sign autograph books as well.

They took our orders for the mains and then started bringing the food. First they bring 3 small starters for the table. There’s a little tree in the centre of the table and they put them on that. I thought it was very cute! The starters were a winter squash bisque:

A hunter’s pie:

And a shrimp cocktail:

I don’t think either of us tried the shrimp cocktail but the other two were nice. They weren’t on the warmest side but I was pleasantly surprised by both of the others as they are not something I would order given the choice but I liked them. I also ordered one of the specialty drinks, the transformation potion, which arrived while we were eating our starters. It was lemonade and they poured something blue in when they brought it to the table:

Snow White arrived to a musical fanfare while we were having our starters as well and she was quickly followed by Dopey and Grumpy and our main courses. I had the brother’s Grimm roasted chicken. It was nice but the portion wasn’t massive:

Momma had the royal prime rib roast. I don’t think she had any complaints with it other than the overall price of the meal:

The Desserts were served like the starters, they brought three different ones for the table. There was a gooseberry pie. I didn’t try this one. I think Momma did and thought it was to sour so didn’t eat much of it:

A Poison apple which was kind of a mousse apple:

The miner’s treasure, the green stuff was spongey and then there was little candy pieces through the sponge:

Then separately they brought the hunters gift to the queen which was a silver box and when they opened it smoke came out and there was little chocolate hearts and popcorn inside. They let you take pictures of the box and told me to get the camera ready before they opened it but then they put the popcorn and hearts on a plate and took the box away:

After the desserts I went to meet the Evil Queen. I had read online before we went that she wouldn’t sign autographs here but she did. When she was ready for photos she came over and told me I had permission to come stand beside her. She asked me if I let anyone sign my book and I told her only the fairest of all and she said she was the fairest of all :rotfl2:

With no dining plan this came to 122.48 before tip which was expensive but I think it was a nice experience to try once and was different. The food was nice although the portions were all very small but it was good because it meant you could try everything without feeling over stuffed. The characters were a bit slow coming out at first and we were worried that we would have eaten all our meal and not see them all but when they did come out the interaction, particularly with the two dwarves was great here as well so although it was expensive I was glad we tried it.

I've just got back from Disneyland Paris and already started that trip report (see link in my signature if you want to follow along... the full trip report around all this food is also linked in my signature if anyone wants to read about what we got up to the rest of the time in Florida)

Day 13:
It was our last full day so we had to start with a character meal with my favourite Stitch so off to Ohana we went.
Breakfast at Ohana’s is served family style so they bring all the food to your table. First up was Hawaiian Pineapple bread which was super yummy:

They also brought some fruit:

Then the breakfast selections complete with Mickey Waffles of course, (I was kind of sad we didn’t get Stitch waffles because I’d seen them in photos before we left home)

Character wise Lilo, Stitch and Mickey Mouse came round to the tables to take photos and autographs. Then you could meet Pluto as you left. The character interaction was not the greatest this morning. I had Stitch ears and a t-shirt on and got no reaction here but had a fabulous meet with Stitch in the Magic Kingdom later in the day. Here all the characters literally just signed the autograph, posed for the photo and moved to the next table. Still the food was good and I enjoyed seeing Stitch even if he wasn't as playful at breakfast as he was later in the day in the park.

For Dinner that evening we went back to Be Our Guest restaurant so I could meet the Beast. It didn’t take long for to be seated once we had checked in and orders were taken fairly quickly. For starters Momma got the mixed field greens salad:

I got the assorted meats and cheeses. They brought out a list of what was on the slab as well:

For the mains I got poulet rouge chicken which was quite nice. The risotto with it surprised me because I wasn’t sure I’d like it but it tasted a lot like a dish we get from the local Chinese back home so it was all good:

Momma got the Lamb chops but she asked for them to be well done and had to send them back twice because they were pink in the middle:

There was no choice for desserts it was a trio of desserts with a macaroon, chocolate truffle and the highlight a white chocolate chip cup filled with the grey stuff all on an edible paper picture of the rose stained glass. It was nice but the cup was very sweet so I wrapped it in tissue to take it with me:

After the meal we went to meet the Beast but again this wasn't the most exciting interaction. He seemed tired or something and was crouching like so when we first went in:

There was nobody else there waiting to meet him and he literally just did a photo and then we left, no other interaction. But still I was happy to have got the photos with him. I thought the food was over priced but otherwise it all tasted good.
Momma was not impressed with the whole experience. We had no dining plan so it cost us 127.80 dollars before tips. She thought it was far to expensive for what you got.

So final Day... Day 14:
We had breakfast in the hotel in Landscape of Flavours, Momma got the pancakes breakfast:

While I got Disney waffles because you cannot have anything else for breakfast on the last day in Disney :goodvibes

Both were fine and not overly expensive which was good.

The rest of the day was airport food and plane food. We had a stop over in Newark Airport on the way home so had a toasted turkey and cheese sandwich there which was fine:

The flight home was through the night so they didn't feed us as much as on the way over. We had a chicken dinner fairly quickly after we took off so everyone could sleep for the rest of the flight:

Then shortly before we landed in Dublin they served a "light breakfast" of a yoghurt and a muffin but I didn't eat either of them:

Hope you all enjoyed my food reviews and pictures. If you want to read the full trip report around the food the report is here: Clickie

And if you'd like to join my latest trip report from Disneyland Paris the report is here:
Clickie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!