• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Different Kind of Introduction... IT IS TIME [Oct 2014 PTR]

Sorry that I haven't been around for the last week - I've had some medical issues that the doctors can't seem to pin down with a diagnosis. Not likely serious, given that all the tests came back clean and normal, but I've definitely been uncomfortable and a bit down.

Given that it doesn't appear likely that I'm going to suddenly croak, though, here I am, back to post more things and get my mind off of it. :goodvibes

Going soon for the F&W, are there any drinks you could recommend. We are going with friends who want to drink around the world.

I haven't been there for F&W yet myself, so I don't have any firsthand experience to share! I've been reading through the EasyWDW posts about last year's booths, though, to prepare. :thumbsup2

Smashing the Rose Colored Glasses: What Could Go Wrong?

Having had a lousy week to grump, grumble, and worry about things in my life, naturally I've started wondering what could go wrong with my Disney vacation, too...
(Yeah, I know, this post needs some SERIOUS pixie dust. Next post will be happier, I promise. :rotfl: )

Weather

lOMxRgS.jpg

October weather doesn't seem too bad, but it's still considered hurricane season, so that's in the back of my mind as a possible vacation-ruiner. That aside, looking back historically, we could end up with anything from low 90s to high 50s for temperatures, so that leaves a big question mark as to what to bring for clothes - packing will be a last-minute affair! Add to that a generalized personal incompatibility with humidity since DH and I live in an area that doesn't get a whole lot of it, and it could end up not being as pleasant as I'd hoped.

Then again, we could get lovely, rain-free, 75-degree days that make touring the park effortless. It's hard to worry too hard about something this far out of our control, and I've been at the park during a worse time of year than this before (July and September). Worse comes to worse, we'll just keep the ponchos handy.

Fun disruption potential: 1 out of 5

Crowds

TCNUAmF.jpg

We picked around Columbus day because of work schedules. I can't go during the end of the summer or during any end of a month due to financial book-closing schedules, Sister can't go in the springtime due to when her budgets come in, Mom works retail and can't go during the holiday crunch. October was the happiest medium we could come up with. Sometimes that's just the way it goes, you go when your family can.

Unfortunately, that means we won't be reaping too many benefits of lower season. Touring Plans tells me to expect 6 out of 10 once we hit the Columbus Day weekend. If we were still in the FP- era, I wouldn't be worried because I know the parks well and know how to mitigate lines. Unfortunately, we're not, and while I have a plan for every day, I think we'll be waiting in more lines than I'm used to. on top of that, our schedule isn't lining up all that favorably; the two Epcot days are on the long holiday weekend during F&W, and the Hollywood Studios day is the EMH day. Whoops.

Fun disruption potential: 2 out of 5

Health

HewA0vZ.jpg

Mom called recently to tell me she's having foot/leg problems again. While she's got a doctor's appointment for another steroid injection between now and our departure date, I now have the unpleasant task of researching how and what to do about a wheelchair and its impact on our touring plans, in the event that the latest severe flare-up doesn't go away in time. It would also be a total bummer if she couldn't do the golfing that she's been looking forward to. Between four adults, though, I'm sure we can manage pushing her around the parks.

I have some health things plaguing me, too, that I don't really want to get into, but they are more uncomfortable and anxiety-causing than dangerous or disruptive where park touring is concerned. My biggest concern will be getting enough sleep, as I have had serious issues sleeping since it all began, and even Ambien isn't making much of a dent in that problem.

Fun disruption potential: 3 out of 5

Personality Conflicts

TWfmbua.png

I alluded to some of this in previous posts, but this is NOT a group that has traveled together before, and as such, I'm expecting there to be bumps in the happy family vacation road. Bob in his bad mode is a walking offensive comment machine about minorities, non-Christians, and LGBT folks - which DH, Sister, and I won't put up with for very long. DH is a wonderful guy, but he is introverted and socially anxious, and when he's reached his limit of dealing with people, he gets extremely terse and grumpy until allowed to withdraw, and his fuse is short for Bob's behavior. Sister can be fun to be around, but she can also be a vapid, spoiled prissypants that has to have her way - which elicits eye-rolls from everyone but Mom, who just wants everyone to get along and will get upset if we don't. And me? Well, I'm notoriously inflexible and bound to my plans, and will have to really try hard not to get upset if folks start throwing what I've worked on for the last several months out the window because they've changed their minds.

There might be flared tempers. There might be times where part of the party has to pull the plug and head back to the room to get some space from the rest of us. There might be times where I have to grab my lorazepam and remember to breathe. I fully expect that someone will want to throttle someone else over the course of six park and two travel days, but hopefully there are enough breaks sending people their separate ways to keep the incidents to a minimum. Otherwise, we might get more fireworks than just Disney's nightly shows...

Fun disruption potential: 4 out of 5

Meeting Vacation Expectations

hades.gif

Each of us has very different goals of what a fun Disney vacation is like, and while we've all talked about them to the point that they're not a mystery to anyone, meeting all of those expectations might be hard.

DH's Goal: To have fun time with me and see Disney the way that I see it (yay!) without being forced into too much involuntary family togetherness.
Sister's Goal: To ride all of the rides and see all of the things and experience all of the experiences without wasting too much time on downtime.
Mom's Goal: To have magical family vacation times with her girls without too much disharmony.
Bob's Goal: To golf and eat, then laze about, without having to spend too much more time and money on things he doesn't care much about doing.
My Goal: To go see and ride and eat all my favorites without having to play tour guide for the entire time.

Obviously, no one can have everything that they want 100% of the time, but ideally most people should feel like what they're doing is meeting their vacation expectation at least 80% of the time. Everyone here is an adult, so they're responsible for making that happen, but so far I'm not sure everyone has gotten that message.

So far, everyone's relied on me to make the plans, and if they follow the plans, I think they'll be happy enough - but will they follow them, or will there be a constant struggle between the desire to do what they want to do RIGHT NOW or sticking to the plans everyone agreed on? Only time will tell. You know what they say about roads paved with good intentions...

Fun disruption potential: 5 out of 5

I went in October last year ... weather was okay while I was there, but I had planned on it being in the 70's and when in went into the high 80s ... I was not a happy camper. I'd suggest light layers ... but definitely keep the ponchos handy.

I may be crazy, but I don't buy into this crowd calendar thing as much as some people. Yes, it can be more crowded certain times of the year, but with a good plan and a willingness to wait in a few long lines if you really have to, I think you can make it work. But that's just my crazy opinion.

Health issues can put a bit of a damper on the trip ... I hope everything turns out okay and everyone is feeling all better by vacation time!

In terms of the personality conflicts ... maybe lots of alcohol will help? And hide the sharp objects.
And of course, make sure everyone remembers to breathe.

If everyone understands that the plans were made to make as many people as possible happy, hopefully that will keep them from complaining (or maybe not)
And if they're going to go off plan, make sure they do it far away from you and don't tell you about it so that you don't get annoyed at them for ignoring your plans!

I hope you feel better before your trip. I know how you feel, I have planned this trip for my family and two people who have never been. I know they say just make plans but I know things will go wrong.

One Week To Go!

This will be a randomly themed update, but my good humor and snark has thankfully returned so happy vacation thoughts are back on!

First, some updates on topics previously visited in this thread...

Healthwise: I am feeling a LOT better. While my sleeping issues have yet to go away, the rest of my problems have subsided. My doc has been a rockstar in listening to me and being willing to try different things to get me put back together. One of the issues (I'm no longer embarrassed about this) was finally admitting that I've got longstanding mild depression and moderate anxiety, and wow what a difference a few weeks of meds has made in that department, and a lot of my other problems have begun to abate because of it. Funny how that works. :)

My mom also seems to be doing somewhat better - she was able to do an entire round of golf the other day without pain, so she's hopeful that she might not need a wheelchair after all. If she does, my poking around down there on the disABILITIES board has taught me that we shouldn't need to fear it being a burden on our trip. Disney seems really accommodating.

vo2AG0J.jpg

Weather: Forecast is for mid-80s with high humidity and clouds/rain every day, so it'll be pretty soupy. Yuck! At least we seem to be likely to avoid the hurricanes.

Crowds: I'm just... done with worrying about the crowds. If it's crowded, it's crowded. If it's not, it's not. I like SarahDisney's attitude about the lines. We'll be fine. And hey, maybe the weather will scare off the locals to a later, nicer time of year. :thumbsup2

MNSSHP: I have a very lousy-looking Vanellope Disneybound attempt halfway put together. Not... sure if I'll get it ready in time, and my paint job on my Magic Band cracked and I'll have to do it over! Whatever, it's the thought that counts. It'll probably end up being too hot for the hoodie anyway.

xrLJnhL.jpg

Pet sitting: In-between spurts of getting better (and leveling a new frost mage in WoW), I've been trying to get the house cleaned up so it won't be totally embarrassing to have someone coming in while we're gone. This has not gone over well with my fluff, who doesn't like anything to be moved around, cleaned, vacuumed, etc. Naturally, he deals with the stress of knowing something is happening in the most catlike way ever.

9H70GD4.jpg

I hope he'll be okay while we're gone. He is such a CAT sometimes. Yes, I know that's obvious, but man can he be such a weird and disgusting adorable ball of furry fluff. :lmao:

DH's Enthusiasm Level: Some good news to report... HE'S GETTING EXCITED! Yes! :woohoo:

I wasn't sure it was going to happen given that he's been very apprehensive about spending so much time with my family but I sat him down, walked him through the schedule, and showed him all of the times that we would be on our own away from the others. He said he was really appreciative that I was trying to take his comfort into consideration. He says there's still parts of the trip he's iffy about, but "Whatever happens, it'll be an experience with you, and we'll probably have fun anyway."

a3MAY0o.jpg

And this past week he has been going "Is it Disney time yet?" right along with me! Conversion potential is there, folks. :goodvibes

And finally... Vacation Expectations (this is the only negative topic): Bad Bob has ALREADY gone off-script.

If this is what I have to look forward to as far as their ability to stick to plans, I have a feeling that there will be drama llama noms on this trip, so I hope your llamas are hungry.

AwXjLo0.gif

Anyway, storytime: I got a call from Bad Bob and Mom a few days ago asking - well, no, more like TELLING - me to add two more people to our Afternoon Tea reservation, because he has two cousins that live in Florida that want to go with us. :eek:

I was pretty irritated at that and gave him and Mom a politely worded piece of my mind! One, you can't just call up Disney and ask them to add two seats to a table; it doesn't work like that. Two, it's less than two weeks out - did you think I was kidding about making our food reservations over five months ago, because they are completely booked up at this point! Three, when did you intend to warn me (and by extension, Very Introverted DH) that we were going to have two complete strangers sprung on us during our vacation!? :mad:

I mostly kept my cool about it otherwise and I offered to let Bob's Cousins have mine and DH's spot at the Tea in the spirit of Happy Vacation Smoothing-over, but then Mom got upset because she wanted us to be there, and she didn't want us changing our plans just to accommodate Bob. (Should have thought of that one first, Mom... :rolleyes: ) I then offered to make dinner reservations for all seven of us that night, which Bob agreed to. I didn't find a lot of availability, but I found something at Kona Cafe. Mom offered to pay for it since this hadn't been in the schedule. The compromise was acceptable enough all around, even if it did make the previously-relaxing Day 5 schedule into a less relaxing one.

Not even a day later, Bad Bob texts me and tells me to cancel the dinner, that the cousins don't want to do that since it's too late at night (8:30PM is late, I guess) and that they'll all just meet at Downtown Disney and take their chances on the restaurants there instead. :faint:

I shook my head at the stupidity of it all and cancelled the Kona Cafe. Which is fine because I don't even like that restaurant. I don't think DH and I will be joining them in DTD, though. This is already too much of a headache and I don't want to reward failure to plan and inform with any further accommodating on my part. We will do our own thing instead. :p

Aaaaand... that's it! This week should bring some packing, more calls to my sister (she still owes me money for things I've paid for OOP for the trip already), a re-do of my magic band nail polish paint job, additional upsetting of the cat with housecleaning... and hopefully no more llama noms. I'm sure I'll need to get s'more of my pre-trip HYPE out of my system before I leave, though, so expect another post before I leave next week. :wave2:

What is this frost mage of which you speak? It sounds awesome. (Having a kid seriously cuts into one's WoW time. As in I haven't played it since I was preggo. My poor little undead warlock has been abandoned.) Glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope you have a great trip, no lunchmeat sandwiches! pixiedust:

Glad to hear you're feeling so much better. As much as medications can be annoying sometimes (I say this having gone through two rounds of antidepressants and 6 years of ADD meds), it's always important to get the help you need and to take the medications if that's what makes you feel better. It really is amazing what a difference taking the medications can make! Disney is really good about accommodating wheelchairs, so if your mom needs one, she should still be able to do pretty much everything.

I'm glad you like my attitude/approach to lines. It's really something you can't control, so why worry?

While I'm not a pet person myself, I have noticed from my friends who have pets that pets kinda think they own the house ... I'm guessing your cat is like that too?

I'm glad your DH is getting excited - I really hope he enjoys the trip!

OMG Bob! It's like he didn't know you've been planning this trip ... at least now you don't have to put up with his cousins. The way I see it, if he wants to do something off the schedule, let him do it himself and not bother you.

The best part of all this is ... you'll be at Disney in a little over a week. YAY!!

Final PTR Update: IT IS TIME

3JC9pcv.jpg

I am so excited that I might vibrate out of existence while trying hopelessly to pay attention at work today. :hyper:

Weather is going to be pretty hot, humid, and occasionally wet this week! I've got the water bottles and ponchos packed just in case. I may sweat to death. That's okay, if I die at Disney that's a pretty good death, right?

Kitty is seriously freaking out. He's not the brightest cat in the world, but he knows what it means when suitcases and clothes and toiletries are spread across the bed for packing. Poor fluff! At least he is not going to the vet this time. Unfortunately it will also be pretty hot and humid back here at home too (record high tomorrow, yuck) so we will have to burn money on leaving the air conditioning on for him while we are gone. Our pet sitter has promised to send pictures when she comes to check in on him, so I am looking forward to seeing how much success she has in getting him to come out and say hi.

I made a rather... irresponsible purchase this past week, in that I now own an iPhone 6. My poor old iPhone 4 was struggling to load the My Disney Experience app. :lmao: That has got to be the most flimsy reason to buy a phone I have ever had, but I was really overdue for an upgrade... and the app loads perfectly now.

I had to hastily repaint my magic band yesterday when I discovered my original design had cracked horribly. It was my fault - I used top coat nail polish where I should have used base coat. Total bummer! I ended up soaking it pretty much all day in Simple Green to help me get all the enamel off, and then did a much less elaborate design with lots of sparkly polish to cover up my failure. It turned out pretty okay, even if it is less than what I initially hoped for. Don't have a picture right now but I will take one. It's kind of mint green and sparkle-pink. It will definitely stand out. :cool2:

Flight is painfully early tomorrow morning. I am not entirely sure that I will sleep, given my general trouble with that coupled with Disney excitement. I'd be paranoid that I would sleep through the 4AM alarm clock anyway.

sdeXHWe.jpg

See y'all after the trip for a post-action report and thanks for following along this far! :banana:

I made a rather... irresponsible purchase this past week, in that I now own an iPhone 6. My poor old iPhone 4 was struggling to load the My Disney Experience app. :lmao: That has got to be the most flimsy reason to buy a phone I have ever had, but I was really overdue for an upgrade... and the app loads perfectly now.

I did the same thing last year ... sort of. I was need an upgrade anyway (my phone didn't always let me answer calls), but what really pushed me over the edge was that the app wouldn't load on my phone. So ... I don't see it as being so irresponsible, especially if you needed a new phone anyway.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! I hope nobody kills anyone else and everyone has a good time. I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter