• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Different Kind of Trip Report. Myrtle Beach & Charleston S.C.

Sorry ya'll were not able to enjoy more beautiful beach weather! Thinking back, we really did have a wet, cool spring, and summer hasn't been that hot- but has been very wet as well. Looks like you still found things to enjoy and I've enjoyed reading about and seeing Myrtle Beach from your report. In the 15 years we've lived here we've never been, but mainly because there are a lot of similar things where we're from in Texas that we do when we visit there. The pics of your son at the aquarium are precious!

Day 5: Myrtle Beach

Our final day in Myrtle Beach was upon us. What had been a bust of a beach vacation so far had only one day left to redeem itself. We awoke for the day hoping to find sunny sky’s and mellow wind but just as the 2 days before had showin that just wasn’t going to be in the cards on this trip. It was much the same. Cold, overcast, windy, and a little bit of rain.

We ate breakfast and got ready for the day and got everything packed up to head back to Summerville. We loaded up the cars and were out of the condo by the 11am check out time. Although we no longer had access to the Condo we weren’t leaving Myrtle Beach right away. Remember yesterday at the aquarium we bought a Ripley’s combo ticket which gave us an extra entry to one of the other Ripley’s attractions in town.

We decided to use that extra entry on the actual Ripley’s Believe it or Not museum. I have seen these all over the county. You can find one in pretty much every major tourist destination. But we had never actually done one before. Until today. We drove down to where the museum was and parked the cars. Be ready to pay up to park in Myrtle Beach though as parking was $10 per car. And we were a couple blocks from the Museum. Things continued to get frustrating when our tickets weren’t working properly. Apparently the system didn’t recognize out tickets as being a multi attraction ticket (my parents worked fine though). After a manager was called over he let us in to the attraction.

The building that the Ripley’s Museum is in is pretty large. However the majority of the museum takes place on the 2nd floor. Theres actually not much to the bottom other then a few displays. One of which was a large Optimus Prime statute from Transformers. The kicker is that he is made entirely from used Car parts so its pretty cool.

From there you go upstairs where the rest of the displays are located. The first room you came to was Egyptian themed and had many displays relating to that. For the most part many of the rooms had a theme going for it. However there were many displays there were just kind of a hodge podge of different things.

You could move thru the Museum at your own pace and take as much time as you’d like. There is much to see and lots to read so you could spend many hours in here if you really wanted to. Honestly there is so much stuff that none of these pictures really do it any justice.

Some of the rooms had a Horror theme. Some a Pacific Island theme. One was American themed. In these rooms all the displays revolved around the actual theme.

At one point they had one of those spinning tunnel things. This was the first time Daniel had been in a actual walk thru one and you could tell by the look on his face that he really had no clue at all what was going on. It was pretty funny.

Soon enough though we had walked thru the whole attraction. Sorry again that theres not much writing about it but honestly there isn’t much to say. Its really something you have to see to really understand. We spent almost 2 hours in the museum and it was very interesting. It is something that I’m glad to say we did but its not something that I think we will do again. No matter where we go. The exhibits are way cool and interesting but its kind of a one and done type thing. If you’ve been to one before theres really no reason to do it again.

The attraction ends upstairs and as you go back downstairs you empty out into an Arcade. I guess this is still part of the Ripley’s attraction. Anyways my brothers stopped and played some games but they got the biggest kick out an arm wrestling game. Even my Step Dad got in on that game.

After Ripley’s we walked across the street to the Boardwalk to grab a small lunch. We stopped in at a small Boadwalk Dinner where we ordered some foot long hotdogs and fries. You know your typical beach front food. The food was pretty good.

After the small snack my parents walked my brothers back to the cars where they would be leaving back to Summerville earlier then we would. While they went with my Brothers Kiera and I decided we should take Daniel out onto the beach. Even if it was cold and windy.

He never did get in the water but he had a blast just playing in the sand and picking up and looking at Sea Shells. He really cold have cared less about the weather. He had such a blast and fun time just playing in the sand. When it was time for us to go he just cried as he was having so much fun. Its really sad that he didn’t get to enjoy the beach as its ment to be enjoyed.

Before leaving Myrtle Beach there was one last stop I wanted to make that the Theme Park Geek in my just couldn’t leave without seeing. I wanted to drive by the location of the Closed Hark Rock/Freestyle Music Park. This Theme Park was built in Myrtle Beach back in 2008 and flopped badly. It was so bad that it only operated for that one season as Hard Rock Park. For 2009 it reopened under new ownership as Freestyle Music Park but once again people didn’t come and it closed down forever after that point. Now from what I’ve seen the park itself wasn’t too bad of a park. It had some very decent and unique rides and coasters and who doesn’t love music. Had this park been built in Orlando or Florida where the Theme Parks are the attractions it likely would have succeeded. However in Myrtle Beach where it had the actual free beach to compete with it just didn’t go over well. Its actually sad to see so many cool rides just sitting dormant as the park has nothing going for it whatsoever.

As we started the drive back Summerville the rains once again started and came down pretty hard. We stopped in Georgetown at a little Mexican restaurant on the way back for Lunch. We didn’t realize at the time but today was actually Cinco De Mayo so the restaurant had many sales going on for the celebration. The food was good and affordable and we all left full.

My parents were gonna try to take us to see the Angel Oak Tree just outside of Charleston today. But with how much rain was coming down we decided to wait until tomorrow. Instead we just returned back to my parents house where we stayed the rest of the evening. There was something nice and relaxing though about sitting on my parents covered back porch and just watching the rain come down.

Soon enough it was once again time for bed. We had one full day left in Charleston before heading back to Utah. We would hope to make the best of it. And we’d really hope that maybe we’d finally get some decent weather.

Day 6: Charleston

Our final full day in South Carolina was upon us. We were back in Summerville and the plan for the day was to once again go downtown and take a walking tour of the historical areas of the city. I found a 2 part walking plan online for free that I merged into one. It would be a lot of walking but we would see almost everything.

We finally left a little after 11am. Before heading to the city though there were some other places we would drive by first. The first of which was just down the road from my parents house to a pond. Typically this pond has some gators out and about as well as some snapping turtles. The gators were nowhere to be seen at this time but the Turtles were out before running away once we stopped the car.

My mom then drove over to Ashley River Road to head to our next destination. While driving though we made a quick stop at Magnolia Gardens. When we visited 2 years earlier we actually did tour the gardens but today we just pulled in and drove past the swamps slowly to see if we could see any of the animal life but we couldn’t. It was then back on the road which I still must say is probably the prettiest road I’ve ever driven on.

The next place we were going to was the Angel Oak Tree. We were gonna go see the tree yesterday but do to the bad weather there was no way were gonna make it before it closed for the day. This tree is pretty spectacular to see. Admission is free and its probably one of the must do things in the Charleston area.

This tree is said to be one of the Oldest trees in North American and I believe it is the oldest East of the Mississippi River. Its so big and the branches have grown out everywhere. Many of which have supports on them so that they don’t break with how bit and heavy they are now.

You can walk all around and under the tree. You can get even close enough to touch it any many spots. But there are signs everywhere telling you to not climb on the tree. Something we had to keep getting after Daniel for doing. He didn’t care though. I think he just loved being out of the car seat and being able to run around.

There is also a little gift shop here but its really doesn’t have anything too great. Daniel found a twig on the ground and you would have thought that was the greatest souvenir ever.

After the Angel Oak tree we hit the highway and were soon in Downtown Charleston. We found a place to park just a couple of blocks away from Market and King Street where our self guided Walking Tour would begin.

When we were in Charleston a few days earlier the Market Street booths were already closed so we didn’t get to look around. Today though they were all open and active. Market Street has been around since the 1800’s and was used at one point for the slaves to sell goods for there owners. Today different vendors fill the street with all sorts of stuff. We didn’t buy anything but its still fun to look.

We were already hungry before we even got into Charleston so after looking at the shops booths, food was next up on the agenda. The booths run down the middle of Market Street. On each side of the street is more traditional shops and cafes and many places to eat. We walked up and down both sides and eventually settled on an Israeli café. It seemed to serve mostly sandwiches but I got some Chicken Tenders. Everything sounded good on the menu and I also got an Italian Soda. What was unexpected though was the price. It came to over $30 for the 3 of us. We couldn’t figure out what was so expensive but oh well. The food was good but I honestly can’t remember the name of the Café.

With out stomachs full we continued our walking tour to the end of Market Street and by the US Customs House. We then walked down the street to the Waterfront Park area where we visited a few days earlier. Since it was much warmer today the play fountain was turned on.

From there we continued down East Bay street following pretty much the steps we took a few days earlier. Just in the opposite direction. We once again passed by old Cobblestone roads and alleys until we got to the Old Exchange Building. This building dates back to before the Revolutionary War. We stopped inside but other then a small gift shop you won’t be able to see any other parts of the building unless you pay for a tour. So we continued on our way.

We were soon leaving the city portion of Charleston and entering the historical residential area. The first homes we came to on East Bay Street are known famously as Rainbow Row. This few blocks of homes are all painted different pastel colors and give the impression of a rainbow with how they are laid out. It seemed to be that the further from the city area we got, the larger the houses were. We even passed a portion of the old city wall that had been excavated.

Before long we were once again on the waterfront of Charleston Harbor right before it merged with the Ashley River. This is a really cool area to walk with huge mansions on one side and the harbor and Atlantic on the other side. Off in the distance you can see Fort Sumter and if you walk all the way to the end of the street theres also a park.

Our tour would have us turn onto South Battery where we would pass some of the largest homes in the city. The houses were gorgeous with there old architecture and many had Gardens that were as pretty as the homes. It was pretty crazy how close these houses got to one another as they literally built them to fill up all of there land.

The tour then had us turn down Meeting Street which lead us by many more large mansions and older churches. Many of the homes on this street had plaques signifying that somebody important lived there at some point. You could even tour some of the homes for a small entry fee.

Soon enough we were back in the city area though as we came to the 4 corners of Law and we saw the steeple of St. Michaels towering over us. We decided to take a stroll thru the St. Michaels cemetery which was pretty cool as some of the Tombstones were very old and well detailed. Then we crossed the street to the Charleston City building.

My mom had us actually stop inside the City Building so that we could see a painting of George Washington. After going thru security we went upstairs to the Room with the painting. This is still the original painting done for the city in the 1700’s of George Washington and his Horse. There’s a big story about the painting and how the painter was not happy with the City of Charleston so its painted specifically the way it is in a hidden attempt to humiliate the city. There is a person there that will tell you the story and answer any questions. And best of all its actually something that’s historic and free to see. We did purchase a post card of the painting though.

Outside the city building is Washington Park. And if you couldn’t guess this park is dedicated to George Washington. In addition to a few statues of our first president there is also a smaller replica of the Washington Monument that’s in Washington D.C.

The tour had us continue down Broad Street until we got to State Street and then go up a block and back down Chalmers Street. Now Chalmers Street is very cool as its I think the longest stretch of Cobblestone road still in use in Charleston. It was way neat to see the Cobblestone stretch as far as we could see. This is also where the Slave Museum is located but we didn’t stop to see if it had a fee or anything.

Next the tour had us turn down Church Street. Now Church Street is named for and designed in such a way that no matter which direction your looking you will see the steeple of St. Philips towering in the distance. This was done as such so that even if you didn’t believe in God, the steeple would acknowledge your in his presence. We walked down Church until we were right in front of and walking past St. Philips which is pretty incredible to see up close. It to had an old cemetery around it but we didn’t stop at this one. We were getting tired and continued on our way.

We turned down Cumberland Street which by chance took us by the Powder Magazine which if I recall is said to be the oldest building in all of Charleston. At this point we were actually pretty close to our car but didn’t realize it so we continued walking until we hit King Street.

King Street is the like the shopping district of Charleston with tons of mainstream stores and restaurants lining the streets. We walked down King Street for a while. Much further then we had in our visits to the area before. We eventually stopped at a place to grab some frozen yogurt before deciding that maybe it was time to head back to the car.

We really didn’t realize how far we had overshot the car. From King Street we walked down Calhoun Street until we got to Meeting Street again.

We knew we parked right off of Meeting Street so we should be back at the car soon. That wasn’t the case though as we walked and walked and walked until we passed the Indigo Hotel, Charleston Fire Department, and even Market Street again before we were finally back at the car.

It felt so good to be back in the car and heading back to my parents house. We loved old Charleston and it is a city that you must visit. Theres so much history there to see and learn about. The walking tour I found was great but lets be real. It was a lot of walking. I don’t know for sure but I’d say we walked probably over 4 miles in a pretty short amount of time. There is a lot to see but just keep in mind that most things will cost you money to go inside. Still Charleston is a great place that I enjoy visiting. And with my parents out there still for the Foreseeable future I’m sure it’s a place I will see again many times over.

Nothing else exciting happened the rest of the night. When we got back home we started packing up our bags to be able to leave very early the next morning. For Dinner my parents just ordered some Pizza and we just enjoyed spending our last night with each other at home where it was relaxing. Soon enough we were in bed early though as we would be leaving for home very early that next morning.

Alright and thats pretty much it for this report. I have one very small update left that I may put up tomorrow and then this report is finished. Thanks everyone.

Day 7: Travel Home

Our final hours of vacation were upon us. The alarms were going off much earlier then we would have liked them to at 3:30am. We slowly got ready and by 4:30am we were leaving my parents house to go to the Charleston airport where we would be catching a 6am flight back to Salt Lake City. We choose this early fight because it would put us back in Utah at 11:30am. I time we needed to be back as Kiera would be returning to work today at 1:30pm.

Its always sad to say goodbye to your family but we would be seeing them again soon when they came to Utah to visit later that summer. My Mom woke up too to give us her love before we left, then we pilled all our stuff into the car and my Step Dad drove us to the airport since his work at Boeing was right next to it anyways.

Last time we flew out of Charleston the airport was like a ghost town. It was the quickest and easiest we've ever gotten thru airport security. That was not the case today though as we were shocked to find how packed the airport was at 5am. The security line was way long. It took us nearly 30 minutes to get thru it all. Then the TSA agents working this early weren't all with it as the Agent claimed I gave her the wrong ticket. I had to keep point out to her that CHS was charleston not Chicago where our layover would be.

Eventually though we did get thru security and to our gate Just before they started boarding for the flight. We got the car Seat and stroller checked in. this time though we elected to not pick up the carseat in Chicago and would just get it at the gate in Salt Lake so we wouldn't have to haul it around with us. Our flight was full but with Family boarding we found some decent seats before taking flight. Daniel fell back asleep and stayed asleep for pretty much the entire flight. Kiera also did the same.

It was kinda odd having a departing flight when it was still somewhat dark outside as we've never left this early before. The flight was quite with many people sleeping and before long we started our decent into Chicago where we would have about a 45 minute layover before continuing on to SLC.

While stopped in Chicago we decided to grab breakfast. We both decided to try breakfast greek style from a Greek place in the food court. We actually really liked the food. If I recall right I belive we were in such a rush to get to our connecting flight that we didn't eat breakfast until we were actually on the plane.

We kicked ourselves on this flight for not getting the car seat when we stopped. The flight from Chicago to Salt Lake wasn't full so we would have been able to bring the car seat onboard with us and Daniel could have had his own seat. We still let Daniel have the empty seat once we were in the air but he really didn't want to sit in it long by himself.

Another short flight later and we were landing in Salt Lake ahead of schedule. It was so odd being back home before Noon as this really didn't seem like a vacation day. It was even more odd that Kiera went into work after traveling all morning. Kieras aunt picked us up and took us back to her parents where our car was at. After eating lunch I dropped Kiera off at work and Daniel and I went home and got the car unpacked. Our short vacation was over. But this was just a quick getaway to see my family anyways. We had a larger vacation coming later in the summer.

And that concludes this trip report. Thanks to those of you taking a look and reading along. Stay tuned as I will start my next review soon and will link it up here. Thanks everyone.

Just found this trip report. Thanks for sharing...I am interested in visiting SC and your report was very informative.

You have a beautiful family!

I know this is an old trip report but I was reading your other report and I couldn't resist clicking on this one! My family is from Charleston (my mother grew up in one of the mansions on the Battery that stayed in our family until long after my grandmother's death, my family is OLD Charleston) and I grew up in Myrtle Beach.

Loved your report!

Something I do want to clear up however is that the Charleston City Market is not and never has been a slave market. No slaves were ever sold there nor did slaves sell things for their owners. Free blacks most definitely sold and bartered for themselves there. In fact, the Charleston City Market was built about the same time the United States abolished the slave trade.

Unfortunately, slaves were bought and sold at the Slave Mart for probably another 60 years, which is now the Slave Mart Museum in a different part of the city.

I'm a Florida girl now and you really made me miss my hometown of Myrtle Beach. One of the great things about Myrtle Beach that I'd like to point out is that every one of the attractions and hotels in Myrtle Beach are all locally owned unlike cities like Orlando and Vegas. One of my dearest friends from Myrtle Beach High School owns the SkyWheel and my uncle is the mayor.

Thanks for the report!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter