A Disney-addicted mom goes on a "Dream" cruise *update 7/6*

I had thought we'd have some time after checking in to go for a swim and explore the resort. However, once we got the groceries put away and the clothes unpacked and the sofa bed made up for Zachary, it was basically time to head to the Hilton at Downtown Disney for our dinner reservation at Benihana. There is a Benihana in the town where I grew up and it was a huge family tradition to eat all important meals there (birthdays, graduations, etc.). My parents have even taken my children there on several occasions. So Benihana has a special place in our family. And I think you get more for your money than at Teppan Edo.
ry%3D400

Mickey fried rice!
ry%3D400

The Japanese garden outside the restaurant.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience. The family who shared our table was very, very nice (and super nice about us having young kids!). I definitely think I would choose this over Teppan Edo any time I have a car.
One nice thing about WBC is that it was a very easy drive to DTD. And we would learn it was very centrally located to all the parks.
After dinner we headed back to the hotel and got everyone settled to bed. I was up at 6am the next day to run and another great thing about the hotel was the path around the lake. It made for a very nice morning run! Later in the day there were enough people milling around that the path would have been a bit too crowded but first thing in the morning was perfect (except the extreme heat and humidity!).

Amanda

My sister and family is joining us in July. She is looking to eat off property as much as possible to save $$$. Is it pricey??

I was also thinking of taking my parents to Teppan Edo but this looks like a nice alternative. :)

I have an OT question... Do you have Tables in Wonderland?? If so is it worth it?

I have to confess I've never eaten at this type of restaurant :lmao: Although I think it looks cool and I know I'd enjoy the food it's the sharing our table with others that puts me (ahem my husband ;)) off. We like relaxing together especially at our evening meal without worrying too much about anyone else :). Don't get me wrong my kids are really well behaved (always have been for the most part) and if they were having an off night we'd leave the restaurant and not subject anyone else to any grumpiness on their part :lmao: It's the behaviour of others/ making small talk that puts us off :confused3. I'd love to go with a big group of friends though.How many people are at each table? Is the restaurant in Epcot the same? Does the chef leave after they've cooked your food (or do they stay to make sure you eat it:rolleyes1 )?

Truth be told I'd find it hard not to like somewhere that does fried rice-especially Mickey shaped :rotfl2: Sounds like you had a great night :thumbsup2

My sister and family is joining us in July. She is looking to eat off property as much as possible to save $$$. Is it pricey??

I was also thinking of taking my parents to Teppan Edo but this looks like a nice alternative. :)

I have an OT question... Do you have Tables in Wonderland?? If so is it worth it?

Benihana is pricey. I think the entrees are in the $20-30 range but that includes soup, salad, meat, rice, and veggies.
I have a TIW card and I love it. They raised the price to $100 (I paid $75). You get 20% off meals but an 18% tip is automatically included (essentially you get the tip for free). We've saved tons of $$$ with it. What I like is that I can order whatever I want - including alcohol - at a discounted price.

I have to confess I've never eaten at this type of restaurant :lmao: Although I think it looks cool and I know I'd enjoy the food it's the sharing our table with others that puts me (ahem my husband ;)) off. We like relaxing together especially at our evening meal without worrying too much about anyone else :). Don't get me wrong my kids are really well behaved (always have been for the most part) and if they were having an off night we'd leave the restaurant and not subject anyone else to any grumpiness on their part :lmao: It's the behaviour of others/ making small talk that puts us off :confused3. I'd love to go with a big group of friends though.How many people are at each table? Is the restaurant in Epcot the same? Does the chef leave after they've cooked your food (or do they stay to make sure you eat it:rolleyes1 )?

Truth be told I'd find it hard not to like somewhere that does fried rice-especially Mickey shaped :rotfl2: Sounds like you had a great night :thumbsup2

I think there are usually 8-10 people per table and that's the same at Teppan Edo. It's a U-shaped table so you really don't need to talk to your table mates. The chef leaves when he's done cooking although a fair amount of eating occurs while he is cooking.

Amanda

I've never been to a Benihana and I'm not sure I even knew there was one at DTD. I loved my meal at Teppan Edo though. :thumbsup2

I've never been to a Benihana and I'm not sure I even knew there was one at DTD. I loved my meal at Teppan Edo though. :thumbsup2

Benihana is a hibachi chain. We liked it better than Teppan Edo. There is a hibachi place near us at home and we get so much more for our money there than at Teppan Edo. There's nothing inherently wrong with Teppan Edo, I just found Benihana gave us more for our money. :confused3

Amanda

We were up bright and early and headed over to DHS. We stopped at Guest Services to get our Stroller = Wheelchair tag for Zachary.

ry%3D400

I ran and got TSM fast passes and Tom took the kids to the line for Jedi Training Academy. They got a late morning time slot.

We did baby swap at RnR. The big kids love this ride.

ry%3D400

Zachary and I did some pictures:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We also had an opportunity to meet Matt Hochberg from WDW Today podcast. He also is in charge of the Studios Central website. (I run on the Team Studios Central running team). A few other of my teammates showed up for the meet.

We stopped for a quick snack and to hide from the rain.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We went over to TSM.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

JTA:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Zachary decided that he didn't want to participate.

Amanda

I'm glad you liked WBC! I was so worried you were staying there and would hate it and it would be all my fault since I raved about it when we stayed there in October :lmao:

I'm glad you liked WBC! I was so worried you were staying there and would hate it and it would be all my fault since I raved about it when we stayed there in October :lmao:

We really loved it! Great location and great facilities. My only (minor) complaint was that the water slides were free standing instead of connected to the pools and Zachary wasn't tall enough which broke his heart.

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter