A Disney Anniversary - Halloween Time at DLR, UOR and WDW - Sept/Oct 2019 - COMPLETED 01/09/2020

Loving your report! Your pictures are beautiful. We live on the West Coast of the USnow but used to
Live in Australia-your kookaburra story reminded me of the trauma of walking to school during magpie nesting season and having magpies swoop and peck you hard on the head. It was terrifying!

Loving your report! Your pictures are beautiful. We live on the West Coast of the USnow but used to
Live in Australia-your kookaburra story reminded me of the trauma of walking to school during magpie nesting season and having magpies swoop and peck you hard on the head. It was terrifying!

Thanks so much for reading along and for the compliments for the picture 😀

Glad the report is reminding you of your time in Australia! The difference between being swooped by a magpie (which has happened to me a few times too) and the kookaburra incident is that I expect a magpie to act like a jerk, but I don’t expect it of a kookaburra 😂😂

But yes, I saw a meme recently which had two pictures, one of sharks, spiders, crocodiles and snakes captioned “what they World is afraid of in Australia” and another picture of a magpie swooping captioned “what Australians are afraid of” 😂

So many beautiful pictures! I know nothing about photo editing and enjoyed seeing the before and after pictures to show how much your editing adds to the photos.

As Australian kids we were taught the a fantastic Australian folk song about these very Australian birds. It goes "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, merry merry King of the bush is he, laugh Kookaburra laugh, Kookaburra gay your life must be".

I'm not sure why, but I heard this song growing up too (in the U.S.)! But I could not have told you what a Kookaburra looked like.

Anyway, as I'm enjoying my burger I suddenly felt a sharp thump against my forehead. I glanced up just in time to see a KOOKABURRA flying away! The thing had dive bombed me hoping for a bite of my burger!

I would have been so scared I would be throwing my food at it to keep it away!

So many beautiful pictures! I know nothing about photo editing and enjoyed seeing the before and after pictures to show how much your editing adds to the photos.

I'm not sure why, but I heard this song growing up too (in the U.S.)! But I could not have told you what a Kookaburra looked like.

I would have been so scared I would be throwing my food at it to keep it away!

Thanks! Yes I really enjoy editing photos. We shoot all our pictures as RAW files (Canons version of an unprocessed image) and "develop" them ourselves (digitally). The before photo has absolutely no exposing done though. Generally when you take a picture on a camera (like a JPEG shot) the camera will process it for you, with what it thinks are the best settings. I just prefer to do that bit myself :)

Glad to know the Kookaburra song has gone international! That is strange that you heard it in the US as a kid though!

It only came at me that once, and afterwards it was perched quite far away, so if I'd try to throw food it probably would have just come at ate it! I did glance at it, and the other birds, a lot more after my experience. And I ate QUICKLY!

Day 5 - Part 1 - Sunrise over All Star Music

As much as we would have liked to have slept all morning, we were awake at 5:30am (we'd gone to sleep at about 7:00pm so we did have heaps of sleep). We weren't too fussed, this was about the time we were planning to be up each day of our WDW visit, so it was good to get our sleeping patterns right.

Since we were up, I asked Jared if he would like to wander around and take some pictures of the All Star Music Resort while the sun rose. He grumpily agreed, but he was already awake and once he was out and about he was glad he went.

I was WAY too lazy to join him, so I dozed and relaxed a little while he ran around taking these beautiful pictures.

The Jazz building was our building, and it is also my favourite of all the building designs (so that was lucky!)

The oversized decorations may be a little childish, and of course the All Star Resorts are nowhere near as refined or stylish (and upper class) as the Deluxe, and even the moderate resorts. However there is a whimsical charm to them and something very Disney about the overstated themeing. Considering the room rate, and the fact you still get all the onsite perks, I find the All Star Resorts really good value for money. If only they had a better range of eating options!

Jared got really frustrated at how hard it was to get the entire All Star Music sign in his pictures! He took these shots across the road and only just fit it in!

It was very calm and quiet that time of morning!

The pool area wasn't open yet - so it was very calm.

I wish there was a way to really capture the guitar shape of the pool! It's so fantastic, but without an aerial shot it's hard to really see in pictures!

Inside the lobby there were very few people around as well (though more than normal probably thanks to Extra Extra Magic Hours)

I have no idea what this is or why it was still there (clearly it was 3 years old!)

Back outside the sun had risen, but the soft early morning light was still evident.

Mot of the interesting shots were facing the wrong way to see the sunrise colours, we did get this one shot though...

The sun was really up now!

I was very grateful to Jared for the fantastic shots he took around the All Star Music Resort at dawn!

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
So excited to follow along! I love reading your reports and, of course, the pictures are amazing!

I visited Australia years ago and have wanted to go back. Your Sydney pics are making me miss it even more :) The botanic gardens was my favorite sight we visited in the city.

Day 5 - Part 2 - An Unexpected Journey...to Disney Spring

After chilling in our room for a little while we decided we should get up and have some breakfast. So we wandered over to the Intermission Food Court.

Jared had bought our refillable mugs when we checked in the day before, so we took those with us! I had the Mickey one....

Jared had Buzz. This is him looking lovingly at his mug, which contained COFFEE.

Jared is pretty useless without his morning coffee. I don't drunk the stuff, but since I was often in need of caffeine on our trip I drank a lot of coke (I normally don't drink that much soft drink, but I didn't really have a choice sometimes when I needed to stay awake!)

Breakfast was a protein-palooza! I really love American bacon too. Our bacon is always a lot thicker and never quite as crispy.

This was Jared's first experience getting a food bill for $0.00! As I mentioned earlier, it made him so happy!

We had plans to meet our friends Derrick and Becky that afternoon in the pool. It was looking quite inviting as we walked past it back to the room.

This was our room, which was on the backside of building 2, overlooking the carpark.

Derrick and Becky were arriving around lunchtime, but before we could relax in the pool with them we had to take an unexpected journey (just like Bilbo, though perhaps not as perilless). Our unexpected destination.....Disney Springs.

We had planned to visit Disney Springs on our last day at Disney World. We hadn't seen it since it was Downtown Disney, and I was excited to see the changes that had been made. However, we hadn't planned to see it on our first day.

Our original plan had been to relax in bed, swim, and then relax in bed some more! Unfortunately, Jared no longer had a usable suitcase (thanks to either LAX or Sydney Airport) so we had to stop in at Downtown Disney to buy one.

This made us a little grumpy, as we knew that a Disney suitcase would be much more expensive than we wanted to pay, but we didn't really have much choice.

We saw a bus was scheduled to depart at 9:43am. We knew we wouldn't make that bus, but hoped the next one wouldn't be more than 20 minutes away. So we headed out to catch the bus to Disney Springs.

This was the first time we really felt the heat and humidity! We were waiting for about 35 minutes for a bus. This probably isn't a record in terms of the Disney bus system, but what was making me grumpy was that 6 Magic Kingdom buses showed up in the time we were waiting! I know that Magic Kingdom is a much more popular destination than Disney Springs, but the 6:1 ratio seemed a little over the top! Especially since at one point a Magic Kingdom bus showed up while another bus was sitting at the bus port and NO-ONE was waiting in the Magic Kingdom queue! In addition, the "next bus" time for Disney Springs kept changing. It started off estimating arrival at about about 10:02 and ended "moving" several times (every few minutes or so), until the bus arrived at about 10:25am.

Here's one of the many Magic Kingdom buses which frustrated me!

And then finally....our bus arrived!

You'll have to forgive the on bus photos, but it was our first day out and about in "The World" so I was super excited! I think I was also excited to finally be on a bus, and not waiting in the heat!

I got particularly excited when I saw this....

The Skyliner was moving! It was in the final few days of testing, as it would be opening the third day we were at the resort (29 September). Obviously we had no clue about the dramatic accident that would occur just a few weeks after we left, but it was exciting to see the buckets moving along! I videoed a little of the skyliner, as we weren't planning a trip on it (at that point) and I wanted to get some evidence we saw it on our trip!

Pretty soon we were pulling up to Disney Springs

We were headed to World of Disney (any other brand-name luggage sold at Downtown Disney was WAY too expensive for us to consider). The plan was to buy the suitcase and leave. Of course, as soon as I walked into World of Disney I saw a million things I wanted to buy, so we spent a bit of time looking around.

I was very tempted to buy this shirt (it's so me) but it really wasn't my colour! Plus out of the context of the parks it doesn't make heaps of sense (unless I'm visiting another tourist destination, in which case it's probably true!)

I was very temped by these Princess ears too!

The thing that tested me the most though were these gorgeous wooden pop ups decorations (I have a collection of things from travels at home and I thought it would go well). You could also get the Cinderella Castle. I really wanted it but Jared didn't think it was a great idea, it was too expensive and too heavy and I had to admit he was right!

I ended up walking out with 3 T-shirts and a bag. I didn't take shots of the T-shirts while there, so you'll have to enjoy pictures of me wearing them later on the trip:

The bag I love! And it wasn't too expensive (many of the brand name Disney bags are just too far out of my price range!)

I don't think I have a picture of the new suitcase, but it was black with a red/white and black Mickey design. Nothing fancy, and not the design I wanted (there was an awesome Walt Disney World decal design with lots of little castles, mickey bars, mickey ears and other cute things from the parks but it wasn't available in the size we needed). Thankfully we had a $50.00 voucher that we could put toward it (it cost us $200.00 USD which is about $350.00 AUD!). The $50.00 voucher we received from All Star Music upon check-in, for turning down housekeeping for the duration of our visit (we could request new towels and toiletries when required).

Oh, I almost forgot, we also bought these adorable little headbands for my niece, who just turned 1.

After the unexpected shopping spree, we had a quick wander around Disney Springs before heading to Earl of Sandwich to grab some lunch.

It was a beautiful day, picture-wise anyway. In reality it was quite hot and humid, and Disney Springs has a surprising lack of shade in the outdoor areas!

These humanoid lego figures impressed me a lot! We've just had our first series of Lego Masters here in Australia (a competition for amateur Lego model builders). Jared and I watched it quite avidly (it was fascinating). Having watched the show we gained a small amount of insight into the time, effort and technique it takes to build humanoid figures like this, which made us appreciate these impressive builds even more!

We'd be back to Disney Springs on Wednesday to take some photos with the proper camera of the area, but I love the way my iPhone pictures turned out. It's such a picturesque area and the transformation is really spectacular. The only part I can say wasn't really to my taste was the building design in the Town Center. It isn't that the architecture wasn't lovely, it was just that it was a little too reminiscent of a high end shopping boutique/mall. The type of shops in the area suggested that too (everything brand name and so expensive). There's nothing wrong what that kind of shopping, it's just not for me and doesn't feel very Disney, as it's something you can do anywhere else in the world!

Anyway, after grabbing lunch at Earl of Sandwich we headed back to the resort to eat it, and to meet Derrick and Becky for a relaxing swim....

Last edited:

So excited to follow along! I love reading your reports and, of course, the pictures are amazing!

I visited Australia years ago and have wanted to go back. Your Sydney pics are making me miss it even more :) The botanic gardens was my favorite sight we visited in the city.

Thanks so much for reading along - I'm really grateful that you enjoy the reports. I love writing them. And I agree with you about Jared's pictures!

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here and hope you get to come back one day. Sydney is the quintessential Australian city. I prefer Melbourne though, but if you ever do come back I'd recommend North Queensland (the tropical part, where you can find the Great Barrier Reef) and the Gold Coast (which is Australia's biggest holiday destination. Both great places! I've been lucky enough to see a lot of my country - and it is a beautiful and diverse place.

Yay, you have started! Following!
Can't believe you got swooped by a kookaburra, bird was obviously suffering from mistaken identity with a magpie (evil birds).
Wow to flying business class all the way- can only dream of that!
I like your tops, esp the aqua one, nice bag too.
Gorgeous pics, as usual!

Yay, you have started! Following!
Can't believe you got swooped by a kookaburra, bird was obviously suffering from mistaken identity with a magpie (evil birds).
Wow to flying business class all the way- can only dream of that!
I like your tops, esp the aqua one, nice bag too.
Gorgeous pics, as usual!
Happy you are following along! And yes I believe the kookaburra must have been channeling a magpie!!
I like my tops too! The green one is great, it’s loose and comfy and pretty!
Business class is great - I forget how lucky we are to get to do it so frequently thanks to jareds work

Day 5 - Part 3 - Poolaxing

We got back to All Star Music around 12pm, and Derrick and Becky had arrived in Orlando, and were on their way on the Magical Express. This was perfect timing, as it gave us a chance to eat lunch, chill for a bit and then get into our bathers and get ready for an afternoon of Poolaxing If that isn't a word it totally should be, floating in a pool is about one of the most relaxing things you can do as far as I'm concerned!

Derrick and Becky's room wasn't quite ready, so after checking in they came to our room and left their bags there while we all headed to the pool! We were so excited to see them. Even though it had been 4.5 years since we met on the cruise, it felt like no time had passed! I so love friends like that, where no matter how long it's been since you've seen them, you are immediately at ease, and ready to laugh and joke and, in this case, have fun at Disney!

Anyway, we headed off the the pool. We decided on the Calypso (aka Guitar) Pool first, thinking we might move over to the Piano Pool later. Becky wanted to chill in the sun for a bit, so she was the designated photographer!

You can tell Jared feels comfortable with Derrick and Becky because he'd already gotten goofy!

As had Derrick (one of the great things about him!). Apparently my face was not good enough for this photo :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We had a lot of fun, just chatting and being silly!

Pretty soon the afternoon pool games had begun at the Calypso Pool, so we decided to head over to the Piano Pool for a quieter atmosphere. Turns out it wasn't that quiet (it was a super hot, humid afternoon so that's probably not surprising!)

Not sure why, but the Piano Pool felt a little cooler than the Calypso Pool! Not a terrible thing on such a hot day!

I had Piano Pool Portraits (say that three times fast!)

And then it was everyone else's turn!

Jared getting Derrick back for the earlier face blocking :P

Derrick's very cutest Princess pose!

Everyone else got onboard!

Time for Mickey ears!

Doesn't that water look soooo inviting! Well it wasn't really as inviting as the Calypso pool (it was a bit cool), so after a quick break at the Piano Pool loo's (where a couple of gate latches completely confounded Becky and I) we headed back to the Calypso Pool.

Derrick and Becky had late afternoon/evening plans at Hollywood Studios, so they decided to leave. Before they did I made them have more pool portraits!

As did Jared and I

This is me, after they'd left, getting sunburned (though at the time I didn't realise it)!

Yes, I got the worst sunburn I'd had in a while this afternoon. It was my skins first time in the Florida sun in a while, and while I sun blocked I don't think I left enough time between said sun blocking, and jumping in the water.

The burn was so bad I spent the next few days wincing every time my bra strap dug into my shoulder! But given that this was the only major health/pain incident of the whole trip (discounting my eye, which was basically fixed by the time we got to Disney) I shouldn't really complain!

We headed back to the room about an hour after Derrick and Becky left the pool, completely relaxed and feeling good (though a little tired from the sun and poolaxing).

Jared headed over to the Food Court to grab us some dinner (don't remember what) and we had an early night. We were notified by an excited Becky and Derrick, when they came to collect their luggage, that they'd got a room just 4 doors away (props to All Star Music for taking our request for close rooms really seriously!)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for reading along - I'm really grateful that you enjoy the reports. I love writing them. And I agree with you about Jared's pictures!

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here and hope you get to come back one day. Sydney is the quintessential Australian city. I prefer Melbourne though, but if you ever do come back I'd recommend North Queensland (the tropical part, where you can find the Great Barrier Reef) and the Gold Coast (which is Australia's biggest holiday destination. Both great places! I've been lucky enough to see a lot of my country - and it is a beautiful and diverse place.

We (husband and I) did get to see the Great Barrier Reef on our trip. So neat! We went out to Uluru as well. I'll keep Melbourne and Gold Coast in mind. We've also talked about going to Perth next time.

Day 6 - Part 1 - An Extra Extra Magic Pandora Morning

We have arrived at our first park day of the trip, Animal Kingdom!

We wanted to arrive at the park early for Extra Extra Magic Hours, which began at 7:00, so we left All Star Music at 6:10am, and got to Animal Kingdom at 6:20am. We were tired, but the Disney adrenaline (I swear it's a real thing, it's like adrenaline plus) was kicking in!

We were glad we'd gotten up so early, as we were quite close to the front of the security check. We also knew, as it was Saturday, that the park was likely to be very busy, as we wanted to get on Flight of Passage first thing.

As we waited for the park to open it was still completely dark (which was a very weird sensation!). Derrick and Becky had also gotten up early with us, so we all waited together excitedly (the time waiting goes much quicker with fun people to chat to!)

Derrick and Becky had some issue with their magic bands heading in, so when we arrived at rope drop we were about 100 or so people back (not bad really).

While waiting at rope drop an Armadillo caused quite a bit of concern, scurrying around under everyone's feet (there were a few screams)! I'd never seen an Armadillo before, so I was equal parts excited and freaked out (scurrying things do that to me!). He didn't seem concerned about all the people though, as though winding in and out of legs was just a normal everyday thing for him (which it probably was).

As the rope dropped we were headed into Pandora. Though walking at a fast past we were not going to run (or even power walk) so we were passed by a few people. By the time we arrived at the "line" it was a decent size, but mostly because no one had been allowed into the actual ride queue yet. I'd estimate that we walked through the line for about 15 minutes (it was constantly moving, which was great) and were on the ride in about 25 - which was fantastic given the 2 hour waits for the rest of the day!

As we were walking into the queue I got my first glimpses of Pandora: World of Avatar. The area completely took my breathe away! I'd seen a lot of photos of it, but they don't really do justice to the beautiful details! I couldn't believe how realistic it looked, I completely believed I was on another planet with floating mountains and weird alien plants! I was almost a little more awe-struck by this than Galaxy's Edge (which is awesome in it's own way, but not as unique and different as Pandora).

We didn't have great dawn light that morning, and we'd missed the best of the sunrise walking into the attraction. You can see a thin bit of sunrise in this picture (along with the line behind us!)

We didn't really stop moving until we were in the last room before pre-show boarding. We hadn't gotten to walk through the main part of the line, so sadly we didn't see that (the floating avatar etc). However it was good to not have to wait for 2 hours!

In the pre-show room we were checked for Alien parasites, and matched with our Avatars! It was a fun experience.

And then we headed onto Flight of Passage. I can see why this is such a loved addition to Walt Disney World! I absolutely loved it. It felt like Soarin for a new generation (which I suppose it is). As Soarin' is one of my favourite attractions (the original version more so than the new version) building on that type of ride technology was completely spot on as far as I was concerned. I loved that the motion was relaxing, yet thrilling. I know that sounds contradictory but I really felt the ride drops and turns were thrilling while still being very calm, and paced well with a lot of calm floating above the amazing views. Speaking of those views, I thought the best part of the attraction was the scenery. It was SO stunning, it completely took my breathe away, in particular the bio-luminescent scene and the final sunrise over the floating mountains! And it amazed me because it must be completely computer generated, but it looked and felt so real and convincing, unlike some scenes on the new Soarin' Around the World (Taj Mahal scene I'm looking at you!).

I also really appreciated the air that rushed over your face (I don't get motion sickness, unless I'm already feeling queasy for some reason, but the air really helped and added to the realism of the experience).

Jared was equally as thrilled with the ride, as was Derrick but I think it was a bit much for Becky, who does experience motion sickness from time to time! Even still they were glad to have experienced it (it was their first time riding too!).

After finishing up on Flight of Passage we headed over to the Na'vi River Journey. I knew this was just a simple boat ride, however I was excited for it. I love beautiful lighting in a dark ride almost as much as I love a thrilling attraction, so I was excited for this one!

We were even more excited that the wait was only 10 minutes!

I had heard a few negative things about this ride, but I enjoyed it. I really think expectation management is everything when it comes to whether or not people enjoy a simply ride like this. Personally, I thought Na'vi River Journey was wonderful - but I was prepared for what it was. It was just as beautiful as I imagined, and super relaxing! However, I went in knowing that this was not a big e-ticket ride.

You'll have to excuse the slight blurriness of these next pictures, the ride was very dark and Jared hadn't quite mastered the 50mm prime lens settings at this point of the trip (aka the first dark ride we photographed!). It was a new lens and he got much better with it as the trip went on. We were successful in capturing the Na'vi Shaman though! YAY!

We were done in Pandora by the time the park was officially opening at 8am. We'd be back, but it was great to have conquered those two attractions before the crowds descended!

Last edited:
We (husband and I) did get to see the Great Barrier Reef on our trip. So neat! We went out to Uluru as well. I'll keep Melbourne and Gold Coast in mind. We've also talked about going to Perth next time.

Ohh I still haven't seen Uluru - it's definitely on my list! I love Perth, obviously (I live here and it's "my city") but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you had a limited amount of time in Australia. It's a small city with not a whole heap to recommend it to tourists when it's so far away from the rest of Australia's tourist sites. That being said I would highly recommend checking out the Pilbara region (north of WA) which I still haven't seen myself, but have been told by many people is amazing (lots of natural gorges and beautiful landscapes). The other great place over here in the West is the area from Bunbury - Albany known as the South West. Great beaches (I think better than Perth's), the Margaret River wine region, a lot of gourmet food, natural underground caves and a great holiday vibe!

And yes, the Gold Coast is great! Surfer's Paradise is a unique combination of city and beach, we have our own theme parks there (though they are nowhere near Disney level) and not far north is lovely rain-forest and natural wonders. Plus there's also the Australia Zoo in easy driving distance.

Melbourne is more of an artsy city, but it has a lot of events and culture, it's a sporting hub and it's Australia's go to shopping location. My family is originally from there, so I've seen a lot of it. Additionally, if you go, take 2 days to drive the Great Ocean Road to the 12 Apostles. It's one of Australia's do-not-miss landscape drives! That and the drive from Healsville to Narbethong in the Melbourne Hills (known as the Black Spur Drive) which is a stunning winding forest road.

Love your trip report, especially love to see fellow Aussies sharing my love for all that is Disney World.

I love hearing from follow Aussie's who also love Disney theme parks! I feel like we Aussie Disney lovers have it hard, we are so far away from the Disney Magic!

What part of Australia are you from?

I love hearing from follow Aussie's who also love Disney theme parks! I feel like we Aussie Disney lovers have it hard, we are so far away from the Disney Magic!

What part of Australia are you from?
Feel the same. Sooooooo far away.
We're from good old Melbourne. Haven't been to WA yet, would love to, though.

Feel the same. Sooooooo far away.
We're from good old Melbourne. Haven't been to WA yet, would love to, though.
Love Melbourne - I was born there and it’s where my family is original from (my extended family still lives there).

WA is great - I need to see more of the north of the state which I’ve heard is stunning. And the Southwest is fantastic too!

Love Melbourne - I was born there and it’s where my family is original from (my extended family still lives there).

WA is great - I need to see more of the north of the state which I’ve heard is stunning. And the Southwest is fantastic too!
We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in Disney World last Jan. Like you, I'm a crazy Disney planner. Been planning our next visit in Sep 20 for over 6 months now. Have everything booked, days planned, restaurants chosen, days planned on Touring Plans already (crazy lol).
My hubby is also an avid photographer, only problem, sadly, is that he doesn't share my passion for Disney, so every time I plan a trip, it takes some convincing. But, I just can't do without me dose of Disney magic.

Your pictures take me back..*sigh*. Won't be going back for years, unless the US has a recession and everything drops.
I loved Pandora, but was underwhelmed by FOP. I think my expectations were TOO high after all the hype, and it is another screen ride. Still EE is my fave.
I agree with you, Navi River was nice.
Also agree re: don't come to Perth. Many places here way better. Loved Cairns when I went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter