A Disney Anniversary - Halloween Time at DLR, UOR and WDW - Sept/Oct 2019 - COMPLETED 01/09/2020

Lesley and I had to have photos!

I need to hire Jared to be my photographer! I really like that shot!
After we'd finished in Carlsand we had to say goodbye to Lesley, who had plans elsewhere. We were so grateful that she made time to come out and meet us. Lesley, if you are reading this it was so lovely to meet you and I hope we get to catch up at Disneyland again in the future.
It was awesome getting to meet you too! Especially after reading your TRs for a couple years! And thanks for “listening” to me vent in TDR!
Any current or former CM's reading along know the answer to this? Does it have to do with claustrophobia? I know those cave like lines in some areas of the temple are pretty narrow.
That is weird! Back in the days before Fastpass the entire queue was used, with the line being full from the load platform to the outside area. Maybe just different operational issues, but I often at least catch up with people in the room where there’s a rope hanging down!

Day 14 - Part 5 - Galactic Light

As the fireworks ended and many people headed out of the park, we went against the crowds and headed back into Galaxy's Edge. There were definitely fewer people about though it was nowhere near completely empty.

We started off at the entrance to the Marketplace. Here, the CM that we'd interacted with earlier started stopping traffic so we could get a reasonably clear shot of the entrance! It was so not something we expected, and yet it improved our photos so much and we were so grateful that he would go out of his way to help improve our photography experience! And hats off to the people who didn't walk in front of the tripod, everyone was so kind waiting for a few seconds until we had the shot.

While Jared took the photos the most amazing CM in all of Disney (yes he was, I really wish I'd noted his name so I could have filled out a compliment card about him) explained the history of the village obelisk/statue at the entrance to the marketplace. I've forgotten all the details, but he knew everything about it and really made us believe that Batuu was a real place, with a real history. Apparently you can make a wish on the statue, the CM assured us that if we wished upon it our wishes would come true. We wished that business class rewards seats would show up for our trip home....and they didn't (so I guess the stone didn't feel as though we were worthy).

We headed back over to the Falcon, and the area was much less crowded too. As we were walking over we ran into a completely solo Chewy (it was so unusual to see him without a pack of admires, all jostling to get to him). I ran over and asked "Hey Chewy, can I have a Hi-Five". He put his hand up, and as I reached out to Hi-Five him he moved it up higher. This continued hilariously for about 30 seconds while I jumped trying to reach his hand (yes, I am short!). Jared meanwhile was laughing uncontrollably behind me and when he asked Chewy for a Hi-Five he got one right away! Finally, Chewy bought his hand down to where I could reach it. I Hi-Fived the Wookie and he gave me an affectionate pat on my head! It was honestly the best character interaction I think I've ever had, so funny and cute. That he spent time teasing us, and then endearingly patting me on the head made me feel very special (he is such a tease that Chewbacca).

Finally having made it to the Falcon, we grabbed a spot over towards the right of the fastest hunk of junk in the Galaxy, and set up for our lightsaber long exposures. The first thing Jared wanted me to try was a heart. We hadn't counted on just how wide the light trail would be, which is silly really, because the lightsaber is LONG!

You can see the heart in the centre here.

After seeing the results of this shot Jared came up with an idea that would require a merge of two photos. Firstly, I had to spin the saber in an exact circle, making sure my face was kept clear. Then I had to try remember my start position and hold the saber there while Jared took a shorter exposure of just me, like the one below.

It did take a few goes to get it right, but finally, we ended up with two shots that I was able to merge into what is my FAVOURITE picture of myself EVER!

I call it "surrounded by the light" and there is something so fun and creative and joyful about it. I was incredibly grateful to the CM who gave us the idea to take some long exposure saber shots, as it lead to one of the most unique and creative pictures I think we've ever taken.

The Photopass photographer had no line (finally) and so it was time for us to take a few more pictures with the saber at night.

Using the Force!

The photographer had turned off her flash to get more of the colour of the saber in the shots, sadly in Jared's photos the light was behind his face, so these pictures are quite dark!

This one was a little better.

We wanted a picture of the two of us with the saber. We started out "sharing" it.

The turned quickly into a fight for control over it's purple power!

Though we were trying to look menacing, we couldn't stop laughing!

The next few shots make it look like Jared won, and is about to decapitate me.

We had fun with this Photopass Photographer. There weren't many people around so we got to take our time and get some fun photos.

Continuing with our photo tour of Galaxy's Edge, we took a few more shots of the fabulous Falcon.

It was still fairly busy but we weren't willing to wait until after close tonight so we just made do.

We briefly ran into our fireworks family friends while taking this next shot. They were excited to see us, and yelled out that they'd photo-bombed their "Aussie" friends. Sadly, it was a long exposure, so you can't really see them!

Done with pictures, we headed out of the park at 11:05pm and walked back to our motel, arriving at 11:25pm.

Continued in Next Post....

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
I need to hire Jared to be my photographer! I really like that shot!

It was awesome getting to meet you too! Especially after reading your TRs for a couple years! And thanks for “listening” to me vent in TDR!

That is weird! Back in the days before Fastpass the entire queue was used, with the line being full from the load platform to the outside area. Maybe just different operational issues, but I often at least catch up with people in the room where there’s a rope hanging down!

He is pretty fantastic! Anytime we are out your way we will happy take some pictures of you :)

You're welcome, sometimes you just need someone to talk things through. And I love making new Disney friends!

Yes it was strange, and very funny that the CM felt the need to explain how terrible all his colleagues were at their jobs :rotfl2:

Day 14 - Part 5 - Galactic Light

As the fireworks ended and many people headed out of the park, we went against the crowds and headed back into Galaxy's Edge. There were definitely fewer people about though it was nowhere near completely empty.

We started off at the entrance to the Marketplace. Here, the CM that we'd interacted with earlier started stopping traffic so we could get a reasonably clear shot of the entrance! It was so not something we expected, and yet it improved our photos so much and we were so grateful that he would go out of his way to help improve our photography experience! And hats off to the people who didn't walk in front of the tripod, everyone was so kind waiting for a few seconds until we had the shot.

While Jared took the photos the most amazing CM in all of Disney (yes he was, I really wish I'd noted his name so I could have filled out a compliment card about him) explained the history of the village obelisk/statue at the entrance to the marketplace. I've forgotten all the details, but he knew everything about it and really made us believe that Batuu was a real place, with a real history. Apparently you can make a wish on the statue, the CM assured us that if we wished upon it our wishes would come true. We wished that business class rewards seats would show up for our trip home....and they didn't (so I guess the stone didn't feel as though we were worthy).

We headed back over to the Falcon, and the area was much less crowded too. As we were walking over we ran into a completely solo Chewy (it was so unusual to see him without a pack of admires, all jostling to get to him). I ran over and asked "Hey Chewy, can I have a Hi-Five". He put his hand up, and as I reached out to Hi-Five him he moved it up higher. This continued hilariously for about 30 seconds while I jumped trying to reach his hand (yes, I am short!). Jared meanwhile was laughing uncontrollably behind me and when he asked Chewy for a Hi-Five he got one right away! Finally, Chewy bought his hand down to where I could reach it. I Hi-Fived the Wookie and he gave me an affectionate pat on my head! It was honestly the best character interaction I think I've ever had, so funny and cute. That he spent time teasing us, and then endearingly patting me on the head made me feel very special (he is such a tease that Chewbacca).

Finally having made it to the Falcon, we grabbed a spot over towards the right of the fastest hunk of junk in the Galaxy, and set up for our lightsaber long exposures. The first thing Jared wanted me to try was a heart. We hadn't counted on just how wide the light trail would be, which is silly really, because the lightsaber is LONG!

You can see the heart in the centre here.

After seeing the results of this shot Jared came up with an idea that would require a merge of two photos. Firstly, I had to spin the saber in an exact circle, making sure my face was kept clear. Then I had to try remember my start position and hold the saber there while Jared took a shorter exposure of just me, like the one below.

It did take a few goes to get it right, but finally, we ended up with two shots that I was able to merge into what is my FAVOURITE picture of myself EVER!

I call it "surrounded by the light" and there is something so fun and creative and joyful about it. I was incredibly grateful to the CM who gave us the idea to take some long exposure saber shots, as it lead to one of the most unique and creative pictures I think we've ever taken.

The Photopass photographer had no line (finally) and so it was time for us to take a few more pictures with the saber at night.

Using the Force!

The photographer had turned off her flash to get more of the colour of the saber in the shots, sadly in Jared's photos the light was behind his face, so these pictures are quite dark!

This one was a little better.

We wanted a picture of the two of us with the saber. We started out "sharing" it.

The turned quickly into a fight for control over it's purple power!

Though we were trying to look menacing, we couldn't stop laughing!

The next few shots make it look like Jared won, and is about to decapitate me.

We had fun with this Photopass Photographer. There weren't many people around so we got to take our time and get some fun photos.

Continuing with our photo tour of Galaxy's Edge, we took a few more shots of the fabulous Falcon.

It was still fairly busy but we weren't willing to wait until after close tonight so we just made do.

We briefly ran into our fireworks family friends while taking this next shot. They were excited to see us, and yelled out that they'd photo-bombed their "Aussie" friends. Sadly, it was a long exposure, so you can't really see them!

Done with pictures, we headed out of the park at 11:05pm and walked back to our motel, arriving at 11:25pm.

Those pics of the castle are delightful! (Yes, running out of adjectives)..
Wow, sounds like you had really amazing CM interactions in Batuu. Heard they are great with immersion, but yours really sounded like they went above and beyond!

Apparently you can make a wish on the statue, the CM assured us that if we wished upon it our wishes would come true. We wished that business class rewards seats would show up for our trip home....and they didn't (so I guess the stone didn't feel as though we were worthy).
Haha, well maybe the Batuu spirits didn't understand what you meant? They prob don't have Business Class in their galaxy!

Absolutely love this shot!

Those pics of the castle are delightful! (Yes, running out of adjectives)..
Wow, sounds like you had really amazing CM interactions in Batuu. Heard they are great with immersion, but yours really sounded like they went above and beyond!
I thank you for all your adjectives! Much appreciated
Yes we did have some great interactions. I’ve heard it can be a bit hit and miss, especially with the CMs but we were lucky in that respect to run into the amazing CM that we did (seriously wish I had noted his name and told Disney how wonderful he was at his job!)

Haha, well maybe the Batuu spirits didn't understand what you meant? They prob don't have Business Class in their galaxy!

Absolutely love this shot!
You are probably right, there’s no business glass in the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy after all 😂😂😂
Thanks, me too! It was fun to pull off

Day 15 - Part 1 - Friends, Falcons and Friendly Ghosts

Today was an exciting day, because we were finally meeting up with the second pair of friends we made on our 2015 Disney Fantasy cruise, Todd and Kim. We left our room at 7:05am getting to Disneyland (after sneaking through the Grand Californian) at about 7:20am. Todd and Kim had beat us and were in line already. We saw them and, sneaking up on them, hug attacked them as a greeting, which was lots of fun! It was so great to see them again, and we got right to chatting and catching up.

We were feeling very happy today. Firstly, because we were finally seeing old friends, secondly, because the triumphant Soarin' soundtrack had played as we walked into the parks that morning. Music has a huge ability to impact my mood and emotions, and on this morning I felt so joyful and triumphant (which is weird I know, but that was how I was feeling).

After getting in and purchasing our Maxpasses for the day we made our first Maxpass for Space Mountain for 8:30am - 9:30am and made our way towards Galaxy's Edge. We were stressing a little about our 9:00am Oga's Cantina booking, which we knew would be tough to do with the Space Mountain Maxpass, so we decided to see if there was availability for any other time. Much to my surprise there was, so we changed our booking to 11am, which is probably a much more acceptable time to drink (you can say it's brunch drinking not breakfast drinking which sounds so much more acceptable!).

Waiting at rope drop, I managed to sneak onto a bench and sit with Kim to rest. The CM in the area was moving people away from the curb pavement (which is where the bench was) but he let me stay seated there (even winking at me as he told other people they couldn't stay in the area). I don't know why, but it made me feel special (perhaps he could see that my feet had been tested in the last week and a half and needed as many breaks as possible). My sitting down was as a preemptive strike to keep my feet happy for what we assumed would be a fairly long wait for the Millennium Falcon.

Once the rope dropped we made our way into Galaxy's Edge. On our way in we saw Chewy overseeing procedures again. We all waved and he responded with a resplendent Chewy roar! Todd and Kim were really excited, it was their first time in Galaxy's Edge, and they were particularly enjoying the themeing and seeing classic characters.

The wait was much less than I expected when we finally entered the line (25 minutes). We headed in, planning to let Todd and Kim be pilots and to see if they did better than us.

I heard a CM at the entrance, when asked by someone if this attraction had Fastpass, say "Fastpass hasn't quite reached our planet yet". I thought that was a cute and hilarious way to say no.

While in line, at 8:30am, we were able to make new Maxpasses, so we all decided to grab one for the Haunted Mansion as we'd seen the waits get as bad as 110 minutes on Sunday. The new Maxpass was for 9:20am - 10:20am. We were pretty pleased, we'd only been in the park about 40 minutes and we already had 2 Fastpasses under our belts.

Todd and Kim got to be pilots, and we enjoyed being gunners (which was the only position we hadn't yet tried). The gunner position is the easiest one to just "enjoy" the ride without having to do much. If you set the guns to automatic there is literally only 1 button to press. And you just press it over and over again. Jared choose manual control on his side, and it was a bit more complicated for him. I enjoyed pressing my one button though. Todd and Kim were good pilots and ended up with a score of 31%. At the time, as we thought this was the percentage you'd ruined the ship, we told them they'd done better than us (we'd ended up with 34%). Now that I'm fairly sure that this is the "health" status at the end of the ride I think we'd done a little better, but barely. Not that it mattered, we had fun!

After our smuggling run we saw some Troopers out and about. Todd and Kim really wanted pictures so we decided to chase them until we could get photos. I decided I would try bunny earring one, and this is me sneaking up on the trooper.

I was quickly told by his handler that what I was doing wasn't very "smart" as the Trooper may come after me. I didn't care, I had fun!

The Troopers finally paused to interact with a few people, and Todd and Kim got their photos. I was again asked if I was a resistance spy. I must look sneaky!

After escaping the Storm Troopers we made our way over to Space Mountain. As it turned out our fastpass wasn't really that necessary, as the wait was only 10 minutes. It was still a little quicker so that was something. Todd and Jared clearly had the most fun!

By this point Jared and I were ready for a caffeine and food break, and Todd and Kim wanted to head out of the park for a smoke. So we agreed to meet back in the park after having quick breaks and head towards the Haunted Mansion and our fastpass.

Jared and I headed towards the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Inside, there were so many adorable Halloween options to choose from.

Jared ordered while I waited outside, enjoying the magic views.

I choose a Mickey Mummy Macaroon, and it was delicious! Jared got a grilled cheese and we both shared some fruit. We got our standard coke and coffee caffeine jolts too.

After our food was consumed we messaged Kim and Todd hoping they'd be almost back so we could head to the Haunted Mansion. Sadly for them they had to exit past the bag check to smoke, and as a result got stuck in a HUGE line trying to get back through bag check. They told us to go on the Haunted Mansion without them and we tried coordinating with them to make a new Maxpass for Indiana Jones from 12:05pm - 1:05pm. They were able to but we couldn't, the Fastpass times available for us were different to the times available for them! This wasn't the first time we run into the problem when trying to book coordinated Maxpasses!

Anyway we headed towards the Haunted Mansion. The wait was already 35 minutes, and it was great to have the Maxpass, as we were in the stretching room in 5 minutes. We chatted briefly to a man in line who noticed my t-shirt (which I was inspired to purchase by the lovely Lesley Wake). It says "Chewy, we're home" and has the Batuu skyline along with the castle outline. He thought it was creative, but said he was a Star Wars purist so he couldn't agree with the sentiment. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though I love that Disney owns Star Wars (clearly, I bought the t-shirt).

I much prefer the original Haunted Mansion to the Nightmare Before Christmas version, and was sad we hadn't managed to get on the original version at the Magic Kingdom when we visited. I did find myself enjoying the holiday version a little more this time around than the first time we experienced it. It did make pictures easier as there is a bit more light and colour. Still the photo I really wanted of the hatbox ghost did not really come out as I'd hoped (he is SO dark, it's really hard to photograph him!). Another question, do they move the Hatbox Ghost for the holiday overlay? I thought he was in the attic, which is lighter, but he was in a little alcove just after the attic, as you headed down into the graveyard. Maybe I was wrong about where he was in the first place (which is probably the most likely scenario).

Anyway foolish mortals, lets take a tour to a mansion filled with 999 Grim Grinning Ghosts. Don't forget your death certificates!

The ride actually paused for about 5 minutes just before the groaning doors, so we managed to get an ok shot of the endless mirrors!

And then Madam Leota called out the spirits.

The gingerbread house they create each year for the holiday version of the attraction is impressive!

And here was our best attempts with the Hatbox Ghost (you can't really make our his hat, it's so dark). Plus we didn't manage to catch his head in his hatbox!

We found Sandy Claws and followed him down into the graveyard.

Sally was the easiest to photograph!

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:

Day 15 - Part 2 - Day Drinking at Disneyland!

After the Haunted Mansion we headed back towards Galaxy's Edge and our 11am Oga's Cantina reservation. We entered Galaxy's Edge from Critter Country this time around, and enjoyed the views of the resistance base.

We hoped that Kim and Todd would manage to make it back in time. We hadn't heard from them since they had got stuck in the giant bag check line to get back into the parks. When we saw them they had had to wait almost an hour to get back into the park, which was utterly insane! This was the bag check coming from the Harbour Boulevard entrance to the parks, where the bus stops are! I couldn't believe when they showed us photos of the line of people just how crazy it was. The line was basically all the way back to Harbour Boulevard!

Anyway, Todd and Kim made it to Oga's just before we did, and we hopped in line. A couple of CMs came by to check we had a reservation, and we showed them the reservation and they checked us in. At this point I requested if we might be able to wait for a booth, and I was informed we could, though it might be a slightly longer wait. There were probably about 20 or so people ahead of us in line, so we figured we were in for a bit of a wait anyway, and we'd prefer to have somewhere to sit when we got inside.

To our surprise, less than 5 minutes later the CM was heading back our way, advising us that a booth had become available! We bypassed the line and were shown straight in. So it always pays to ask! As the booths are large we did have to share with some other parties, but we were completely fine with that as we got to sit and relax!

This is us, sitting and relaxing (and goofing around).

As the party next to us cleared out they offered to take a picture of us in our booth, which was very lovely of them.

Oga's is great, though it could do with being quite a bit larger (or have multiple rooms). I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot, it's cavernous architecture and details really do make it look quite alien. Still it lacked a little something for me, I think perhaps thanks to it's size. It was probably my least favourite of the Galaxy's Edge experiences. It's still fun, but I don't think I'd need to do it again.

The best thing about Oga's, for me, was that it was a place we could relax and chat for a while. Being with good friends and enjoying drinks in our booth was what made the experience for me. I didn't really really love the drinks, probably because they weren't sweet enough for me. I think next time I'd try the non-alcoholic versions. The others did enjoy the drinks though, so that was probably just me. Here's what we all ordered.

Jared - Dagobah Sling (drink 2 from left)
Kim and I - Fuzzy Tanton (drinks 1 and 4 from left)
Todd - T-16 Sky Hopper (drink 5 from left)
Me - The aforementioned Fuzzzy Tanton and the Jedi Mind Track (drink 3 from left)

I tasted everyone's and here's what I thought.

Todd's T-16 Sky Hopper was ok, it was fruity and milky but had a bit too much kiwi taste for me (which I don't like)

Jared's Dagobah Sling was far too sour, but then I don't like tequila. Plus the herbs were just weird!

The Fuzzy Taunton drink itself was nice (probably my favourite flavours), but the foam was awful. It was sour and burnt your mouth and we desperately tried to drink around it (we were warned the foam was "poison" and the drink was the "antidote" by our fantastic server Tim). I do wish they could make this without the foam, but I'm sure it's a signature drink and they wouldn't accommodate that request (sort of like how they won't make Butterbeer without the sickly sweet foam on top at Universal).

I liked the Jedi Mind Trick the best, but I though it could have been a little sweeter (but then again I really like sweet drinks).

Jared did end up having to finish about half of my two drinks, so he got almost 3 (and circumvented Disney "2 drink max" rule).

I thought that we would only get about 30 minutes in Oga's before being kicked out, but we were in the bar for about 50 minutes and were not moved on, we slowly made our way out on our own terms. It was nice to feel as though we could spend as much time as we needed. We had a fantastic time in Oga's and we really did enjoy the experience. Still, we had just as great a time (if not better) when we went to Trader's Sam's with Todd and Kim the next day. I appreciate the theming in Oga's, but it is just a bar. A great place to hang out with friends and enjoy a drink or two, but it's not much more than that. I think it could benefit by being made bigger or having something else added to the experience (like a few more animatronic creatures to really add to the concept you aren't on earth).

Our server Tim was fantastic though, I have to give him props. Afterwards he joked we could thank him on Planet Vimeo, not Planet Yelp (hehe). The service and the music did really help add to the experience. Jared was excited to hear the actual cantina music from the movies, which did add to the Star Wars atmosphere.

While we were resting at Oga's we tried to book another Maxpass for Splash Mountain. Again, Todd and Kim were offered 1:00pm - 2:00pm and we were offered 2:35pm - 3:35pm! No overlap! Frustrated, we decided to book a Splash Maxpass, and they decided to book one for Big Thunder.

On our way out of Oga's Jared decided to translate the Arabesh on the main menu near the entrance using the Disney Play App. What he managed to translate was "to the spire", which I think is Batuu's way of saying "until we meet again". Appropriate for the exit of the Cantina. He also tried hacking a dataport just outside the Cantina, but was denied access. Poor boy.

After Oga's we headed over the Falcon to have a few more Photopass pictures with Todd and Kim.

Todd decided for our picture together we should act like Pirates, just because it would be silly! Jared didn't really get the memo!

And Jared finally caught on and became a pirate.

Last edited:
They told us to go on the Haunted Mansion without them and we tried coordinating with them to make a new Maxpass for Indiana Jones from 12:05pm - 1:05pm. They were able to but we couldn't, the Fastpass times available for us were different to the times available for them! This wasn't the first time we run into the problem when trying to book coordinated Maxpasses!
Yeah, Maxpass certainly has its quirks and things to get used to! If someone cancels a FP then it goes back into the "pool", so sometimes that will be offered instead of the current FP return times. It's great to get earlier times, but still can be aggravating if you haven't linked in the apps!
We chatted briefly to a man in line who noticed my t-shirt (which I was inspired to purchase by the lovely Lesley Wake). It says "Chewy, we're home" and has the Batuu skyline along with the castle outline. He thought it was creative, but said he was a Star Wars purist so he couldn't agree with the sentiment. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though I love that Disney owns Star Wars (clearly, I bought the t-shirt).
I love it too! And I feel like Disney has given new life to SW!
Another question, do they move the Hatbox Ghost for the holiday overlay? I thought he was in the attic, which is lighter, but he was in a little alcove just after the attic, as you headed down into the graveyard. Maybe I was wrong about where he was in the first place (which is probably the most likely scenario).
Nope, same spot! I think the alcove is officially inside the attic.
When we saw them they had had to wait almost an hour to get back into the park, which was utterly insane! This was the bag check coming from the Harbour Boulevard entrance to the parks, where the bus stops are! I couldn't believe when they showed us photos of the line of people just how crazy it was. The line was basically all the way back to Harbour Boulevard!
Ugh, that's so annoying! I know that security point can get backed up, but 1 hr is ridiculous!

Day 15 - Part 1 - Friends, Falcons and Friendly Ghosts

Today was an exciting day, because we were finally meeting up with the second pair of friends we made on our 2015 Disney Fantasy cruise, Todd and Kim. We left our room at 7:05am getting to Disneyland (after sneaking through the Grand Californian) at about 7:20am. Todd and Kim had beat us and were in line already. We saw them and, sneaking up on them, hug attacked them as a greeting, which was lots of fun! It was so great to see them again, and we got right to chatting and catching up.

We were feeling very happy today. Firstly, because we were finally seeing old friends, secondly, because the triumphant Soarin' soundtrack had played as we walked into the parks that morning. Music has a huge ability to impact my mood and emotions, and on this morning I felt so joyful and triumphant (which is weird I know, but that was how I was feeling).

After getting in and purchasing our Maxpasses for the day we made our first Maxpass for Space Mountain for 8:30am - 9:30am and made our way towards Galaxy's Edge. We were stressing a little about our 9:00am Oga's Cantina booking, which we knew would be tough to do with the Space Mountain Maxpass, so we decided to see if there was availability for any other time. Much to my surprise there was, so we changed our booking to 11am, which is probably a much more acceptable time to drink (you can say it's brunch drinking not breakfast drinking which sounds so much more acceptable!).

Waiting at rope drop, I managed to sneak onto a bench and sit with Kim to rest. The CM in the area was moving people away from the curb pavement (which is where the bench was) but he let me stay seated there (even winking at me as he told other people they couldn't stay in the area). I don't know why, but it made me feel special (perhaps he could see that my feet had been tested in the last week and a half and needed as many breaks as possible). My sitting down was as a preemptive strike to keep my feet happy for what we assumed would be a fairly long wait for the Millennium Falcon.

Once the rope dropped we made our way into Galaxy's Edge. On our way in we saw Chewy overseeing procedures again. We all waved and he responded with a resplendent Chewy roar! Todd and Kim were really excited, it was their first time in Galaxy's Edge, and they were particularly enjoying the themeing and seeing classic characters.

The wait was much less than I expected when we finally entered the line (25 minutes). We headed in, planning to let Todd and Kim be pilots and to see if they did better than us.

I heard a CM at the entrance, when asked by someone if this attraction had Fastpass, say "Fastpass hasn't quite reached our planet yet". I thought that was a cute and hilarious way to say no.

While in line, at 8:30am, we were able to make new Maxpasses, so we all decided to grab one for the Haunted Mansion as we'd seen the waits get as bad as 110 minutes on Sunday. The new Maxpass was for 9:20am - 10:20am. We were pretty pleased, we'd only been in the park about 40 minutes and we already had 2 Fastpasses under our belts.

Todd and Kim got to be pilots, and we enjoyed being gunners (which was the only position we hadn't yet tried). The gunner position is the easiest one to just "enjoy" the ride without having to do much. If you set the guns to automatic there is literally only 1 button to press. And you just press it over and over again. Jared choose manual control on his side, and it was a bit more complicated for him. I enjoyed pressing my one button though. Todd and Kim were good pilots and ended up with a score of 31%. At the time, as we thought this was the percentage you'd ruined the ship, we told them they'd done better than us (we'd ended up with 34%). Now that I'm fairly sure that this is the "health" status at the end of the ride I think we'd done a little better, but barely. Not that it mattered, we had fun!

After our smuggling run we saw some Troopers out and about. Todd and Kim really wanted pictures so we decided to chase them until we could get photos. I decided I would try bunny earring one, and this is me sneaking up on the trooper.

I was quickly told by his handler that what I was doing wasn't very "smart" as the Trooper may come after me. I didn't care, I had fun!

The Troopers finally paused to interact with a few people, and Todd and Kim got their photos. I was again asked if I was a resistance spy. I must look sneaky!

After escaping the Storm Troopers we made our way over to Space Mountain. As it turned out our fastpass wasn't really that necessary, as the wait was only 10 minutes. It was still a little quicker so that was something. Todd and Jared clearly had the most fun!

By this point Jared and I were ready for a caffeine and food break, and Todd and Kim wanted to head out of the park for a smoke. So we agreed to meet back in the park after having quick breaks and head towards the Haunted Mansion and our fastpass.

Jared and I headed towards the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Inside, there were so many adorable Halloween options to choose from.

Jared ordered while I waited outside, enjoying the magic views.

I choose a Mickey Mummy Macaroon, and it was delicious! Jared got a grilled cheese and we both shared some fruit. We got our standard coke and coffee caffeine jolts too.

After our food was consumed we messaged Kim and Todd hoping they'd be almost back so we could head to the Haunted Mansion. Sadly for them they had to exit past the bag check to smoke, and as a result got stuck in a HUGE line trying to get back through bag check. They told us to go on the Haunted Mansion without them and we tried coordinating with them to make a new Maxpass for Indiana Jones from 12:05pm - 1:05pm. They were able to but we couldn't, the Fastpass times available for us were different to the times available for them! This wasn't the first time we run into the problem when trying to book coordinated Maxpasses!

Anyway we headed towards the Haunted Mansion. The wait was already 35 minutes, and it was great to have the Maxpass, as we were in the stretching room in 5 minutes. We chatted briefly to a man in line who noticed my t-shirt (which I was inspired to purchase by the lovely Lesley Wake). It says "Chewy, we're home" and has the Batuu skyline along with the castle outline. He thought it was creative, but said he was a Star Wars purist so he couldn't agree with the sentiment. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though I love that Disney owns Star Wars (clearly, I bought the t-shirt).

I much prefer the original Haunted Mansion to the Nightmare Before Christmas version, and was sad we hadn't managed to get on the original version at the Magic Kingdom when we visited. I did find myself enjoying the holiday version a little more this time around than the first time we experienced it. It did make pictures easier as there is a bit more light and colour. Still the photo I really wanted of the hatbox ghost did not really come out as I'd hoped (he is SO dark, it's really hard to photograph him!). Another question, do they move the Hatbox Ghost for the holiday overlay? I thought he was in the attic, which is lighter, but he was in a little alcove just after the attic, as you headed down into the graveyard. Maybe I was wrong about where he was in the first place (which is probably the most likely scenario).

Anyway foolish mortals, lets take a tour to a mansion filled with 999 Grim Grinning Ghosts. Don't forget your death certificates!

The ride actually paused for about 5 minutes just before the groaning doors, so we managed to get an ok shot of the endless mirrors!

And then Madam Leota called out the spirits.

The gingerbread house they create each year for the holiday version of the attraction is impressive!

And here was our best attempts with the Hatbox Ghost (you can't really make our his hat, it's so dark). Plus we didn't manage to catch his head in his hatbox!

We found Sandy Claws and followed him down into the graveyard.

Sally was the easiest to photograph!

I haven't seen the HM overlay so thanks for the tour! Looks quite cartoonish ?

Yeah, Maxpass certainly has its quirks and things to get used to! If someone cancels a FP then it goes back into the "pool", so sometimes that will be offered instead of the current FP return times. It's great to get earlier times, but still can be aggravating if you haven't linked in the apps!

I love it too! And I feel like Disney has given new life to SW!

Nope, same spot! I think the alcove is officially inside the attic.

Ugh, that's so annoying! I know that security point can get backed up, but 1 hr is ridiculous!

I wondered if a cancelled FP was the reason why we wouldn't often get different times. I wasn't aware we could like our Disney accounts, so I'll have to keep that in mind for next time!

Yes it's a fantastic shirt and agree about Disney and SW. Speaking of SW and Galaxy's Edge, I've now seen a full ride through and queue/pre-show walk through of Rise of the Resistance. I won't give you any spoilers, as I assume you won't watch ahead of your visit to WDW, but I'll just say this; It looks like the greatest ride ever conceived and I don't think either of us will be disappointed when we ride (whenever that will be for me). It is making me super bummed again that we didn't get to do it on our trip (missing it by 2.5 months at Disney World!).

I haven't seen the HM overlay so thanks for the tour! Looks quite cartoonish ?

Yes it is - not as sombre or as scary as the original. Or as dignified. Which is why I don't like it as much.

Last edited:
Day 15 - Part 3 - Splashing about in New Orleans

Our next stop was Indiana Jones with our maxpasses. I wrote earlier than we didn't get one with Todd and Kim, looks like I misread my notes there because we did go on with them as our next activity!

I also forgot to regal you all with this tale from Oga's: We were sitting with our second group of table mates within our booth. We had our drinks already, and their's had just arrived. One of the couples, who were really lovely and who we'd been chatting to about the amazingness that was Galaxy's Edge, had ordered the Fuzzy Tauntaun. The man had enquired what Kim and I were drinking earlier, and we told him. But we had forgotten mentioned anything about the "poision" foam. When he got his drink and tasted the "poision" foam we were informed we must be Rebel Scum, because we hadn't give him a heads up! Oops! :rotfl2:

On another side note, I watched a full queue/pre-show walk through and then a full ride through of Rise of the Resistance today (thanks to the fantastic people at Theme Park Insider). WOW, I am serious sad we missed out on experiencing it. No spoilers, I promise you, but all reports I've read on the ride so far are not shy in saying it is the best theme park attraction in the world. I'll say just that, from watching the video alone, I can see that it beats the previous Disney top standard, the Shanghai Disney version of Pirates of the Carribean, and I SO need to come back to ride it!

Riding Indy we managed to get a place in the front row. Jared was in the drivers seat, and we all asked him to make it a "smooth" ride. He failed but we survived the giant boulder squishing us so I guess he wasn't too bad after all. :rotfl2:

Anyway, after we rode Indy it was time for our lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans. We were so excited about this lunch reservation because a) we were having a sit down table service meal with Todd and Kim and b) we would be enjoying the legendary Monte Cristo sandwiches again. We were lucky to have a reservation, as people were being turned away for standby seating.

The park was actually much busier today than we'd experienced it so far (even though it was a Monday). The paths felt much more congested and waits were pretty crazy without Fastpass/Maxpass. This week would definitely be busier than the previous week. I think this must have been a result of the public holiday (which would fall on the next Monday after we'd left).

We also ordered Pomme Fritte for the table, along with a Monte Cristo each. Todd and Jared ordered the sandwiches with meat and Kim and I opted for the three cheese option.

If you've not tried a Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans I have to say, what are you waiting for! These perfect French inspired sandwiches transcend all sandwiches that have come before. In fact they are so much more than a sandwich, I would liken them to a croissant or pastry that is perfectly balanced between savoury and sweet. The blueberry drizzle and icing sugar top off the amazing flavours and as someone who generally doesn't like blending sweet and savoury, this combination completely wins me over! Jared and I have been waiting to have another of these sandwiches since we first tried one in 2015 so we were incredibly excited! And when we arrived at the restaurant our mouths were already salivating. Luckily, Todd and Kim felt the exact same way about the Monte Cristo's, so we were all excited for lunch!

Just look at that gooey cheese perfection! The Pomme Frittes were good too, though not as good as the Monte Cristo.

For the second time that day we were able to sit and chat for a decent amount of time with Todd and Kim, which was fantastic!

After lunch we went our separate way from Todd and Kim, who were headed to Big Thunder Mountain while we headed to Splash Mountain.

Jared and I were seated at the back of the ride and no, this was not the moment he decided to break up with the attraction (that came later). We did get a little wet, mostly on our legs, during our trip into the Briar Patch.

Here's a tour of our Zip-a-dee-doh-dah ride.

A small Halloween touch to the ride!

I think I enjoy the Disneyland track layout better than Magic Kingdom's but I prefer the Magic Kingdom's log layout. Additionally, Disneyland's version was a bit darker and duller somehow. Plus many of those animatronics could use some TLC. I dream of Disney investing some money it's animatronic classic, like Pirates and Splash, and updating the animatronics so they look like the more modern versions found elsewhere in the park (I'd even be happy with the face projection figures you get in SDMT or Frozen Ever After). Plussing these fantastic attractions would be a huge draw. Imagine seeing your favourite attraction, like Splash Mountain, but with fluid and more realistic figures! I know Disney is unlikely to spend that kind of money on attractions that are already hugely popular, but I can dream!

We left the park after our trip through the Briar Patch. We ran into Todd and Kim heading out of the park. They were thrilled as they'd just ran into their niece and nephew on Big Thunder Mountain, who they didn't even know were at Disneyland! It's a small world after all I guess! :P

We enjoyed our rest, but we'd back for some more fun at DCA later. While resting we managed to make a Maxpass for Incredicoaster for 7:15pm - 8:15pm. Todd and Kim managed to get 7:25pm - 8:25pm so we were pleased to have some cross over this time around so we could ride together later!

Last edited:
Day 15 - Part 3 - Splashing about in New Orleans

Our next stop was Indiana Jones with our maxpasses. I wrote earlier than we didn't get one with Todd and Kim, looks like I misread my notes there because we did go on with them as our next activity!

I also forgot to regal you all with this tale from Oga's: We were sitting with our second group of table mates within our booth. We had our drinks already, and their's had just arrived. One of the couples, who were really lovely and who we'd been chatting to about the amazingness that was Galaxy's Edge, had ordered the Fuzzy Tauntaun. The man had enquired what Kim and I were drinking earlier, and we told him. But we had forgotten mentioned anything about the "poision" foam. When he got his drink and tasted the "poision" foam we were informed we must be Rebel Scum, because we hadn't give him a heads up! Oops! :rotfl2:

On another side note, I watched a full queue/pre-show walk through and then a full ride through of Rise of the Resistance today (thanks to the fantastic people at Theme Park Insider). WOW, I am serious sad we missed out on experiencing it. No spoilers, I promise you, but all reports I've read on the ride so far are not shy in saying it is the best theme park attraction in the world. I'll say just that, from watching the video alone, I can see that it beats the previous Disney top standard, the Shanghai Disney version of Pirates of the Carribean, and I SO need to come back to ride it!

Riding Indy we managed to get a place in the front row. Jared was in the drivers seat, and we all asked him to make it a "smooth" ride. He failed but we survived the giant boulder squishing us so I guess he wasn't too bad after all. :rotfl2:

Anyway, after we rode Indy it was time for our lunch reservation at Cafe Orleans. We were so excited about this lunch reservation because a) we were having a sit down table service meal with Todd and Kim and b) we would be enjoying the legendary Monte Cristo sandwiches again. We were lucky to have a reservation, as people were being turned away for standby seating.

The park was actually much busier today than we'd experienced it so far (even though it was a Monday). The paths felt much more congested and waits were pretty crazy without Fastpass/Maxpass. This week would definitely be busier than the previous week. I think this must have been a result of the public holiday (which would fall on the next Monday after we'd left).

We also ordered Pomme Fritte for the table, along with a Monte Cristo each. Todd and Jared ordered the sandwiches with meat and Kim and I opted for the three cheese option.

If you've not tried a Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans I have to say, what are you waiting for! These perfect French inspired sandwiches transcend all sandwiches that have come before. In fact they are so much more than a sandwich, I would liken them to a croissant or pastry that is perfectly balanced between savoury and sweet. The blueberry drizzle and icing sugar top off the amazing flavours and as someone who generally doesn't like blending sweet and savoury, this combination completely wins me over! Jared and I have been waiting to have another of these sandwiches since we first tried one in 2015 so we were incredibly excited! And when we arrived at the restaurant our mouths were already salivating. Luckily, Todd and Kim felt the exact same way about the Monte Cristo's, so we were all excited for lunch!

Just look at that gooey cheese perfection! The Pomme Frittes were good too, though not as good as the Monte Cristo.

For the second time that day we were able to sit and chat for a decent amount of time with Todd and Kim, which was fantastic!

After lunch we went our separate way from Todd and Kim, who were headed to Big Thunder Mountain while we headed to Splash Mountain.

Jared and I were seated at the back of the ride and no, this was not the moment he decided to break up with the attraction (that came later). We did get a little wet, mostly on our legs, during our trip into the Briar Patch.

Here's a tour of our Zip-a-dee-doh-dah ride.

A small Halloween touch to the ride!

I think I enjoy the Disneyland track layout better than Magic Kingdom's but I prefer the Magic Kingdom's log layout. Additionally, Disneyland's version was a bit darker and duller somehow. Plus many of those animatronics could use some TLC. I dream of Disney investing some money it's animatronic classic, like Pirates and Splash, and updating the animatronics so they look like the more modern versions found elsewhere in the park (I'd even be happy with the face projection figures you get in SDMT or Frozen Ever After). Plussing these fantastic attractions would be a huge draw. Imagine seeing your favourite attraction, like Splash Mountain, but with fluid and more realistic figures! I know Disney is unlikely to spend that kind of money on attractions that are already hugely popular, but I can dream!

We left the park after our trip through the Briar Patch. We ran into Todd and Kim heading out of the park. They were thrilled as they'd just ran into their niece and nephew on Big Thunder Mountain, who they didn't even know were at Disneyland! It's a small world after all I guess! :P

We enjoyed our rest, but we'd back for some more fun at DCA later. While resting we managed to make a Maxpass for Incredicoaster for 7:15pm - 8:15pm. Todd and Kim managed to get 7:25pm - 8:25pm so we were pleased to have some cross over this time around so we could ride together later!

Those sandwiches look so yummy and are making me have grilled cheese on toast for lunch, haha.
Nice tour through splash!

Yes it's a fantastic shirt and agree about Disney and SW. Speaking of SW and Galaxy's Edge, I've now seen a full ride through and queue/pre-show walk through of Rise of the Resistance. I won't give you any spoilers, as I assume you won't watch ahead of your visit to WDW, but I'll just say this; It looks like the greatest ride ever conceived and I don't think either of us will be disappointed when we ride (whenever that will be for me). It is making me super bummed again that we didn't get to do it on our trip (missing it by 2.5 months at Disney World!).
I'm definitely trying to keep away from spoilers! Though I already know too much - I've seen a CG video thru but it didn't include any paint or special effects (just gray blocks used for computer modeling). Also that was over a year ago, so I don't really remember it (my co-worker did some work for the ride). I cannot wait to ride it! Just 23 more days!
I've actually never eaten at Cafe Orleans! I don't do ADRs at Disneyland that often; just don't really need to when I go so often! Hopefully one day I'll get over there!

I'm definitely trying to keep away from spoilers! Though I already know too much - I've seen a CG video thru but it didn't include any paint or special effects (just gray blocks used for computer modeling). Also that was over a year ago, so I don't really remember it (my co-worker did some work for the ride). I cannot wait to ride it! Just 23 more days!

I've actually never eaten at Cafe Orleans! I don't do ADRs at Disneyland that often; just don't really need to when I go so often! Hopefully one day I'll get over there!

23 days! You lucky thing!

And if you can manage an ADR you have to try the Monte Cristo!! I promise it won’t disappoint!

LIFE UPDATE

Hi All

Just wanted to explain
my long absences in updating here. I promise I haven't forgotten about you all.

But..... I'm pregnant.....8 weeks actually, and I've been dealing with symptoms that have drained me of all my energy for writing!

It is early, and the last time, as those of you who read my Asian trip report would know, we found out at the dating scan that the foetus wasn't viable. I'm pleased to report this time we have a healthy 8 week old foetus. I know we are still a little in the danger zone and I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself but I love the DIS community and I wanted to let you guys know.

We are looking forward to welcoming a little Disney Prince or Princess in July 2020, all being well. I'm not sure how this will impact on future Disney trips....they may be more spread out with an infant to consider. But I do promise we will get back to the parks!

Thanks so much all for reading along and supporting this trip report. I will continue writing soon.

Rachelle (and Jared)

Day 15 - Part 4 - Under the Sea

After rest and dinner delivery, we headed back out to the park. We decided to catch the ART bus and arrived at the stop at 6:30pm and the bus showed up at 6:45pm (perfect timing this day). We were in the park by 7, meeting Todd and Kim at the entrance of DCA.

We had a bit of time to kill before our 7:30pm Incredicoaster Maxpasses and so we thought we might see if any attractions had shorter waits. However, the park was probably the busiest I'd seen it so far, and this was our first real example of annual passholder Halloween "traffic" in the evenings (which only got worse the over the next few days). Guardians was a 90 min wait, Radiator Racers was 120 minutes, Toy Story was 90 minutes. Even the Incredicoaster was 60 minutes. We were so glad we had 2 x Maxpasses booked (we'd gotten one for Toy Story Midway Mania too for 9:15pm).

Even the more minor attractions around Pixar Pier all had 30 minute waits at minimum! It was just crazy.

So, we decided that we would head to Ghirardelli's to enjoy sundaes! This was a suggestion of Todd and Kim's and it was a fantastic one. Sadly I didn't take any pictures of the actual sundaes, when I saw the ice cream I just had to eat it clearly! But I did get a cookies sundae and Jared ended up with the Brownie sundae. And I did take a picture of the picture on the menu of my cookie sundae. It was sooo good!

If you are worried that it was a bad idea to eat a sundae and then head on the fastest, most twisting ride in the park, you need not worry. We all have strong stomachs and the Incredicoaster is quiet gentle even whilst being fast and turny, and all the ice cream stayed where it should.

The wait was still 60 minutes when we arrived at the Incredicoaster, Maxpasses in hand (well in phone really). I love the coaster at night. It is so much more fun when you are surrounded by the twinkling lights of Pixar Pier. We also had a seat in the back this time so it was faster.

After coasting, Jared and I had a few night photos to take so we split off from Todd and Kim for a bit to take some.

We started in Pacific Wharf.

And then we made our way over to a crazy busy Guardians of the Galaxy.

We met back up with Todd and Kim once we were done, and had more time to kill until our 9:15pm Maxpass for Toy Story. We figured we would give The Little Mermaid ride a go, even though the wait was 25 minutes, because it would be something to do! We managed to get through the queue in about 15 minutes - it's one of those great lines that do constantly move. We were a little worried when we first got in line, it had snaked it's way outside and was longer than I'd ever seen it. But even still it moved fast and we were on the ride in no time.

I hope you enjoy my tour of Ariel's Undersea Adventure....We took so many pictures on the ride (this is only about half of them) and they all came out so well. We'd switched back to the 24-70mm lens this time for more range and were pleased with the results!

Last edited:
LIFE UPDATE

Hi All

Just wanted to explain

But..... I'm pregnant.....8 weeks actually, and I've been dealing with symptoms that have drained me of all my energy for writing!

It is early, and the last time, as those of you who read my Asian trip report would know, we found out at the dating scan that the foetus wasn't viable. I'm pleased to report this time we have a healthy 8 week old foetus. I know we are still a little in the danger zone and I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself but I love the DIS community and I wanted to let you guys know.

We are looking forward to welcoming a little Disney Prince or Princess in July 2020, all being well. I'm not sure how this will impact on future Disney trips....they may be more spread out with an infant to consider. But I do promise we will get back to the parks!

Thanks so much all for reading along and supporting this trip report. I will continue writing soon.

Rachelle (and Jared)

Hi Rachelle & Jared,
Reading along and LOVING your photos. Our last visit to Disneyland was in 2016 so we are hanging to get there again (hopefully next year) so we are so looking forward to seeing Galaxy's Edge. Your photos have made it look amazing. Looking forward to your next post! Congratulations on the baby news - wishing you all the best.

Hi Rachelle & Jared,
Reading along and LOVING your photos. Our last visit to Disneyland was in 2016 so we are hanging to get there again (hopefully next year) so we are so looking forward to seeing Galaxy's Edge. Your photos have made it look amazing. Looking forward to your next post! Congratulations on the baby news - wishing you all the best.

I really do hope you back to Disneyland soon! Galaxy’s Edge was great though we were so sad to miss Rise of the Resistance. From what I’ve seen so far it pretty much looks like the best Disney ride ever so I’m sure it will only add to the experience.

I’m so glad you are enjoying the report - and the photos. We love taking them.

and thanks - we hope everything continues to go well with the baby.

LIFE UPDATE

Hi All

Just wanted to explain

Rachelle (and Jared)
Congratulations!! Lovely news. This will be a beautifully documented child ;)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!