A double birthday at Mickey's House!!

Kris74

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!!!

This is my first trip report, because this is our FIRST family Disney vacation!!! So, SO excited!!

Me I’m Kris and will be turning 35 on this trip. :scared1: Actually my son and I share a birthday and he will be turning 4. I am a HUGE Disney fanatic and love everything Disney. I’ve been to WDW twice with my family as a child and the last time was in 1988 so I’m sure just a few things have changed since then ;). I’ve also been to Disneyland twice with hubby, but even then it didn’t seem the same as I was always comparing everything to how I remembered WDW. Even then going by a 15 year memory I'm sure things were a little off ;)

Favorite Character – Mickey of course!!
Favorite Movie – National Treasure or Sleeping Beauty.

DH’s name is Tom, and will be referred to as Goofy. He’s never been to WDW and has put up with my craziness for Disney. He knows I’ve wanted to go back to WDW for several years and this year was finally IT!! He’s leaving all the planning to me which is fantastic seeing as it’s pretty much going to be a perfect trip for me with a few boy attractions to round things out ;) The only thing he (and DS) have vetoed is no princess meals. Seeing as I live with Star Wars 24/7 I think a little bit of princess once in awhile is a good thing, but I'll work that magic once we're there ;)

Favorite Character – Jack Sparrow
Favorite Movie – Pirates

DS’s name is Jeremy, and he’s our little Jedi. He’s our special miracle baby and we’re so blessed to have him in our lives. He’s such a great kid. He’s never been to WDW (or DL for that matter) and is so excited to have his birthday at Mickey’s House. We’re also having a regular birthday party the weekend before we leave as it’s very difficult to have a 4 year old understand why he’s not getting a party like his friends … Now before I get flamed, I realize that makes him sound spoiled and he’s really, really not. If you saw those baby blues tearing up, you’d be throwing him a party too ;) Besides, even though I am his Mom and I’m probably just a little bit biased, he really IS a great kid. As I mentioned, we share a birthday so once the Princesses were eliminated, we compromised on a birthday breakfast at Chef Mickey’s. I was also going back and forth on a package from the Disney Florist, but then thought I might as well just make my own and surprise the little man with some 'specially from Mickey.

Favorite Character – any of the villains, and he really likes Pete from Disney Playhouse for some reason. He’s always very sad Pete isn’t in the hotdog dance at the end of the show :rotfl:
Favorite Movie – Cars

DMIL’s name is Adele and she’s our fairy Godmother. I know of so many who don’t get along with their mil’s. I have to say that I’ve been truly blessed with mine. She’s a wonderful lady and we get along great. She’s already been “practice walking” by going on several long walks a week. It’s pretty impressive for a lady pushing 75!! She’s just excited seeing “everything”. Like Goofy, she’s perfectly fine leaving all the planning up to me!! YIPPEE!!!

This trip does have a little bit of a sad note …. Goofy’s sister (let’s call her Cinderella) and her family were also planning on coming along for this trip. Part of the reason we decided to wait for so long was that Cindy wanted her boys (now 6 and 8) “old enough” for this trip. OK – I get that not everyone is a Disney-holic like me so I have been VERY patient while waiting until her boys were finally “age appropriate”. When we finally started making plans, I realized there were going to be a LOT of compromise going to be required and it would make an interesting trip as our kids are very different and we certainly have different ideas re our dream vacations….. BUT I was still really excited as my nephews and the Jedi get along so well and all the adults really enjoy each other’s company as well. So right when we were finally going to book this past spring, she found out her youngest son had a tumour needing immediate surgery and chemo for a VERY long time afterwards … needless to say, they were out. (Not cancer, it’s just where the tumour is). But my wonderful hubby told me we could go still as planned and plan another trip down the road when they’re able to join us as I’ve already had my heart set on going this year YAY!! The Fairy Godmother still wanted to come as she was excited to go, so the planning for us continued :banana:

I don’t have enough posts for pictures yet, but am working on getting those numbers up. I’ll post some of the cast when I can.

I started writing this PTR at the end of August (and it's now mid October - not sure how that happenned :confused3)

When we were planning this trip – it was truly going to be a dream vacation. (It still is for me, but we were planning for WAAAAAAYYYY over the top!!)

Cinderella and I talked for several weeks debating whether to go on a (Disney) Cruise, the Land and Sea package or a week in Florida – half at a resort and half at a beach side house …. She wasn’t sure about going to Disney every day. O. M. G. THAT would have been the huge compromise for me … Seriously?? We waited THIS long to go and that’s what you want to do, NOT go to Disney?? Keep in mind Cindy has stayed at Vero Beach. Twice. And has never taken the kids to the park. Any park. Like I said - lots of compromise would be required. So talking over the options with hubby, we decided to ditch the cruise idea and WE would stay at the resort for the week. Cindy’s family would do the half resort/half beach option and mil hadn’t decided what she wanted to do but there was room with us or Cindy's clan - the choice was up to her. Everyone was happy with the initial plan. I was researching resorts and Cindy was taking care of the Beach house.

So which resort to choose??? Either way we had a 4 year old and a almost 75 year old and a bunch of people in between. As Cindy’s family wasn’t planning on spending the week, and the Jedi was still napping daily it only made sense to choose a monorail resort. I figured we were the closest to the two parks I knew I would like the best and just a short trip back for anyone who needed a break at any time.

The Grand Floridian looked amazing, though not really what we were looking for with the 3 boys. The Contemporary was …. Ehn. It just didn’t seem too exciting. I didn’t like the (lack) of transportation options for Fort Wilderness …. The ferry to MK was neat, but I didn’t want to have to rely on bus/transfer to get everywhere else.

But the Polynesian. WOW. I am still impressed by all the pictures I see and I knew mil would get a kick out of seeing all the flowers and plants (she’s loves that stuff), the boys would all love the beach and I just wanted to sit in a hammock and watch the castle. Ah!!

But then they got their terrible news and their trip is on the backburner for now …. Hopefully by the time they want to go again Goofy can convince them to do the whole week at the resort ;)

So then Goofy and I went back and forth, debating whether to switch to something a little more economical and I started looking at POP and a few of the Epcot Mods. But I still liked the Poly and for all the reasons I initially liked it. Well, I must have done a great selling job as Goofy told me let’s just stick with the Poly. You’ve waited long enough to go to Disney and you both (Jedi and I) deserve the very best for your birthdays. Do I have the best hubby or what? FYI – this is the same man who is so frugal we get into “discussions” when I buy strawberries out of season. LOL

After having some issues with not one, but two travel agents, we decided to book our vacation ourselves online. We booked through Southwest Vacations and managed to get the flights I wanted …. Are you surprised?? LOL Both flights are non stop. YAY!

So the trip is booked and paid for and there’s still 12 weeks to go!!

Does anyone know how to make the signature links?? I can't seem to figure it out :(

So seeing as I have written a lot of this stuff out while at work over the past couple of weeks, here's some more of the story.

Top 15 Rides and Attractions:
1. Haunted Mansion
2. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. Splash Mountain (crossing fingers the little man will be tall enough!!)
4. Soarin’
5. Indiana Jones (boys!!)
6. Star Wars Jedi training
7. Toy Story Mania
8. Tea Cups
9. Peter Pan
10. Mickey’s Philharmagic
11. Ariel’s Grotto – totally nostalgic … Last time I was at WDW, this was the 20000 Leagues under the Sea ride. Besides, the only princess the Jedi likes is the Little Mermaid. Go figure.
12. Tom Sawyer’s Island
13. Jungle Cruise
14. Toy Story Mania …. Not sure how this one will turn out as I’m hearing of crazy “run to the ride” kind of stories ….
15. Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress …. I love history so if I find myself by myself at some point, that’s where I’m headed. Well, maybe to see the Princesses instead, but we’ll see. Or maybe the shops of Main Street … Hmmm. Maybe I will need to plan a few hours to wander by myself… I wonder how to work that in??

Why not the safari you ask? Well, we live in Southern Ontario and there’s a place called the African Lion Safari. We’ve had season’s passes for the past 3 years. As much as it sounds like a really fun ride, it’s not a must do for us …. But hey, if the line’s aren’t too long it’s not on the list, just not a must do.

Moving right along on my little tale .... :surfweb:

After making lists and scouring menus for weeks and getting up at the crack of dawn to book my ADR’s online, this is what we ended up with. Strangely enough we even had an option for CRT on our birthday, but I left it in ADR-land for another princess to have her dream breakfast …. There’s no way I was going to convince the Jedi of anyone other then Mickey and friends at his birthday party. 4 years olds. Geez …

We ended up with -
Saturday - Garden Grill (dinner)
- I thought this was a neat way to introduce the Jedi to some characters

Sunday - Biergarten (dinner)
- Fairy Godmother is Polish and LOVES this kind of food. I figured the entertainment might entice the Jedi to stick around for more than 10 minutes to eat ;)

Monday – Chef Mickey’s – birthday breakfast
- One compromise was our birthday meal. I let the Jedi choose. When I suggested CRT, he looked at me like I had 3 heads and told me he wasn’t eating with “the girls”. Alrighty then. But it was a toss up between Cindy’s and Chef Mickey’s for me anyways so I’m glad we have a good compromise. And I definitely wanted a birthday breakfast to start off our day together.

Tuesday – ???
- no idea where yet, but I’m sure I’ll get there.

Weds – Yak & Yeti (early dinner)
- this is our AK day , not too thrilled with this one, but we’ll see …

Thursday - Hollywood & Vine (lunch)
- Jedi loves the Little Einsteins. Thought it would be nice to have a break from the park mid day without leaving…

Friday – Le Cellier (early dinner)
– We all LOVE steak, plus we’re Canadian so I thought this would be nice for our last night. It’s an early ADR (4-ish) so we can stroll around, catch Illuminations and head back to finish packing. The only catch is Epcot is an evening EMH day so I’m sure the place will be packed …. If it’s too busy, the other option is to head back to the Poly and watch the Electrical parade from the beach one last time.

Saturday - Ohana (breakfast)
- Sounds like a fun way to say good bye to our resort

Yes a lot of character meals, (too much maybe??) I’m thinking the Jedi and Goofy (not to mention the Fairy Godmother) aren’t going to have the patience waiting in line to meet characters. I already know I’m on my own for the princesses ;) As well, nothing at DHS thrilled me either CS or TS and I didn’t like any of the TS at MK, so I really had my choices narrowed down due to circumstance. As well, Goofy is allergic to shellfish and the Jedi to peanuts so that further cut out some places.

So where else to eat??
We have the Basic Dining Plan so I’d like to have an idea of where to have our CS before we leave as well. But I’m not going to plan the snacks … that would be a little too obsessive, even for me ;)
I’ve been downloading menus from all ears like a fiend and have decided on “just a few” places. *cough cough* Of course the clan doesn’t know I’ll be “strategically” figuring out where we’re going to eat beforehand, but letting Goofy think it’s all his idea of course. No wonder we get along so well ;)

MK – Minimum 1 ½ days including evening EMH on our birthday!!
Peco Bill’s
Tommorowland Noodle Terrace **anyone know if this is open in mid November?? I’d hate to have my mind set on it and it not be available
Casey’s – for the Jedi.

EP – 1 full day for everyone, possibly 2 for the girls
Sunshine Seasons
Japan (for me only – everyone else hates it)
Mexico CS Cantina de San Angel
Morocco CS Tangerine Cafe
Germany CS Sommerfest?? – FG loves this kind of food so she would be thrilled to have it twice

DHS – 1 day for the girls, possibly 2 days for the boys
This is where I’m having a heck of a time ….. but we have a lunch planned the day we’re here. We’ll probably take off after the parade if we’re done so maybe we’ll eat at DD instead?

AK – 1 day – unless I’m really pleasantly surprised
Again, not too thrilled with the food options here, but we are heading to Boma for supper the day we’re here.
Possibly the Flame Tree BBQ or the Picnic in the Park as that would be a nice option. Any strong opinions for either??

DD – 1 evening?
Earl of Sandwich
Wolfgang Puck’s
T Rex if the Jedi is there

I’d also like some time during the day to hang out in the pool with the Jedi. We both LOVE to swim. I’m thinking this is where we’ll be spending our mid day break from the park.

Your ptr is off to a great start! We're going on a Wish Trip the 1st week on November. Vacationing with family is so much fun (if all get along of course :rotfl2: ). I just hate trying to work around all the different things everyone wants to do or not do. We usually split up for about half of the trip then everyone gets time together and time to do what their family members want to. I'll be keeping up with your planning...popcorn::

Your ptr is off to a great start! We're going on a Wish Trip the 1st week on November. Vacationing with family is so much fun (if all get along of course :rotfl2: ). I just hate trying to work around all the different things everyone wants to do or not do. We usually split up for about half of the trip then everyone gets time together and time to do what their family members want to. I'll be keeping up with your planning...popcorn::

Thanks for stopping by!! I'm so glad to have a reader!! :cheer2: Welcome and I hope you enjoy the story!! I'm going to check out your report to see how your planning is going :)

Changes already???
So comparing the days we’re at the particular parks to the UG best park days I decided to do a switcheroo …. The first of many I’m sure ;) I did get lucky and get ADR’s for the changes even though I was about 60 days in advance. And before you ask, yes I was a very good DIS-er and cancelled my previous ADR’s ;)

Saturday - Garden Grill (dinner)
Sunday - Boma (dinner)
Monday – Chef Mickey’s – birthday breakfast
Tuesday - Hollywood and Vine (lunch)
Weds – Biergarten (dinner)
Thursday - Kona Café for lunch
Friday – Le Cellier (early dinner)
Saturday - Ohana (breakfast)

So as of right now, 24 days until we take off – this is the plan. We’ll see how long it stays the same ;)

:laughing: My "plans" changed almost daily and now we leave in less than 2 weeks! So far the only day I hadn't changed is Tues since we have ADR's with JoJo & Goliath-there are no other days available during our trip. I do think I have a workable plan now so I'm trying my hardest not to change a thing. :rotfl:
Good luck finding a plan that works for your family (you've GOT to get those princesses in somewhere! princess: ).

:laughing: My "plans" changed almost daily and now we leave in less than 2 weeks! So far the only day I hadn't changed is Tues since we have ADR's with JoJo & Goliath-there are no other days available during our trip. I do think I have a workable plan now so I'm trying my hardest not to change a thing. :rotfl:
Good luck finding a plan that works for your family (you've GOT to get those princesses in somewhere! princess: ).

I KNOW!!! But I think I'll be OK waiting in line while the boys sit and roll their eyes. Do you know where the princesses usually hang out in the parks??

Whew! I'm caught up and am onboard for more! My son used to call Disney World "Mickey's House". His first trip to WDW was when he was just 1. He's now 12 and has 14 trips under his belt. Love love love Disney!

Whew! I'm caught up and am onboard for more! My son used to call Disney World "Mickey's House". His first trip to WDW was when he was just 1. He's now 12 and has 14 trips under his belt. Love love love Disney!

Thanks for reading!! I'm hoping to have lots more updates before we go ... and one of these days I'll update with some pictures too.

WOW!! That's a lot of Disney!! I'm sure you have lots of tips for going with a little one. Bring em on!

Hubby picked up the flight tickets today from Fedex. WHOHOO!!!
:banana::banana::banana:

It seems like now this trip is SO CLOSE!!

I can't wait until I can start packing ... I was planning on using the spare room as it has a large double bed so I can spread everything out. Maybe this weekend the packing will start :)

I'm a part time university student, full time Mom and full time Quality Engineer. It's midterm season for school and I'm a master procrastinator so here is my major to do list. ACK!! Hopefully 18 days is enough time!!

Fun stuff :
Grocery list for Garden Grocer
Room request??
Plan out Pillow Treats for Jedi
Packing lists – me, Jedi and Goofy
Shoe check – everyone have broken in shoes??
Autograph book for Jedi – do I have time to make
Family shirts?? Too geeky??
Planner book??
ADR’s on index cards
UG tour plans laminated
PACK!!! Jedi and I … Goofy can take care of himself, unless he needs some help.
Order MM ears from disneystore online
Get pants shortened from LuluLemon

Boring tasks:
Travel insurance – Are we covered through work?? What about mil??
Luggage – Do we have what we need?? Who do we borrow from??
Plan for the luggage – Who’s getting what??
Earphones for Jedi – need them to fit the DVD player, the Leapster and possibly the DS
Stop newspaper
Find timers for lights. Lamps for timers?
Ask Grumpy (neighbour) to watch the house, keys for Grumpy
Find all chargers – need 2 cell phones, video camera, DS, leapster and 2 cameras …

Random school and home things ….
Get the Jedi’s winter stuff out Put away all off season clothes
Drop off all giveaway clothes Armoire & cedar chest cleared out
Spare room cleared out
Wedding envelopes done
All shower invites out
Assignment #2 for Finance Assignment #3 for Finance
Assignment #1 for T&D Midterm for T&D
Midterm for Labour Relations Midterm for Finance
Bday party for Nick
Bday party for Jedi
Notes to school and daycare re Jedi. Cupcakes for Jedi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!