A family vacationing in June 2019 - Absolute lunacy or a manageable chaos?

When should we start looking at buying the Disneyland tickets? Is there any use in buying them this far in advance or should we wait for possible promotions/discounts? Mind you that we are looking at getting two day park hopper tickets.

Why on earth would Disney not do something it has never done before? Uhh, because they have never done it before.

Could they change that now? Sure, they can do anything they want. But I suspect they will apply lessons learned at Pandora in WDW's Animal Kingdom and follow that model. Really, I am not sure they learned any lessons there because they had learned their lessons beforehand and applied those and implemented an absolutely brilliant strategy of handling opening day crowds. I was shocked out how well they handled things.

My recent experiences at Disneyland Resort, however, including experiences at the D23 Expo, leave me concerned that DLR will blow it. I highly suspect WDW will handle things just fine when SWGE opens. But I want to see DLR prove they can really handle this.

For those not up to speed about Pandora, which opened Memorial Day weekend 2017, it has has two entry points. Normally those are both two-way traffic, but Disney made them each one-way. One way in. One way out. During opening day crowds anyways.

They restricted traffic in and formed a line outside Pandora - which was well marked with tape on the ground and enforced by CMs - to hold people who wanted to enter Pandora. They only allowed people into Pandora when others left. If you had an active FP for a Pandora ride (there are two, like SWGE) you could skip this line outside Pandora and go straight in. Otherwise you had to wait.

Inside Pandora they had lines and ropes and well trained CMs everywhere giving consistent and clear directions. They had CMs with signs held up high (on sticks) so everyone could see them that said things like "Flight of Passage Queue This Way". At the end of the queue, there was a CM with a sign that said something brilliant - "End of Line". So guests knew where to go. The lines would break across walking paths so people could walk around Pandora and not have to cut through a queue of people. The breaks in the line were managed by CM's. Sort of like how Disney manages parades and people who want to cross over. They get held up and then let through at key times.

I hope Disneyland can be as well organized as WDW was.

:wizard:

I remember the Pandora reports. I think being that SWGE will have more than one entry point will help...but just where are all those people going to line up to get into the land? I have a feeling it’s going to look like Fantasmic! just let out all over that area.

I remember the Pandora reports. I think being that SWGE will have more than one entry point will help...but just where are all those people going to line up to get into the land? I have a feeling it’s going to look like Fantasmic! just let out all over that area.
Who knows? But I would think in the whole Big Thunder Trail area could be used for this. Plus the new walkway from Critter Country to SWGE behind ROA.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!