A Farewell to Illuminations – A Swift September Solo

Gerweniel

Mouseketeer
Reading back through my Disboards history I discovered my last trip reports were written in 2007! 😲In case you are interested: :):flower1:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/mistakes-made-lessons-learned-chapter-5-finale.1514769/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...t-of-a-wonderful-journey-update-1-10.1664010/

Although I have returned to Disney several times since then, I haven’t felt inclined to write a trip report, so I hope you indulge me on this brief, but magic-filled retelling of my amazing three-night soiree.

Bit of a back story. I read on some Disney fan site in March or April 2019 of Disney’s announcement that they were:
A) ending Illuminations and
B) going to change Spaceship Earth.

Please understand I am an EPCOT purist. I was talking to CM’s faces on TV screens to make restaurant reservations at Communicore. I rode Spaceship Earth when Walter Cronkite was the narrator, we rode and sang along with the REAL Dreamfinder! When the Universe of Energy was changed to Ellen’s Energy Adventure I gristled a bit. HOWEVER, I do understand change and for many of the attractions I appreciate the updates.

BUT, ending Illuminations made me very melancholy. It was a nighttime show that my boys and I always watched together, and I treasure those memories. My sons now live relatively far away and we can’t do our Disney trips as we once did. I felt very drawn to see the fireworks and hear Night Fire Dance one more time. My boyfriend is not a WDW fan, and had no interest in traveling, but puts up with my flights of fancy. So the seed of a solo trip plan began.

Sounds pretty easy right? – quick Epcot trip....well, not so much! I live in Upstate NY so flights are involved also I was in the middle of organizing a fabulous two week road trip out west in July that would require a lot of budgeting and expenditures. Even a three nighter to Disney as a solo is not inexpensive. Not to sound like a snob, but I will only stay at a Disney hotel when I am there and I get the dining plan. That is the way I roll -especially travelling solo.

So, here comes creative financing 101. I read about an online weight loss site that you make a bet that you’d lose a certain amount of weight in a specific amount of time. I researched it, seemed legit and signed up. I made a wager that would cover about 80% of my trip if I lost 40 pounds. If I lost the weight – the trip was on!
😊
I lost the weight, got paid and paid off the trip!!! Now let the fun begin! Thanks for bearing with me thus far!
SW flight to MCO.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!