A fee for flying standby starting...

Muffy

<font color=red>Oh how I wish I lived in Florida!<
01/01/03. Delta said they are charging 100 per person to fly standby stating Jan 1st. I don't know if the other airlines are following suit. Just thought I would pass on the info.

USAirways is doing this too. Also if you cancel, you must rebook the tickets by the date of departure ($100 change fee) or they are worthless. Used to be you could hold them up to a year.

I'm not sure I understand how standby works. Is that $100 in addition to the price of the ticket or is that all(one way?) After you pay this $100 are you guaranteed a flight? I always think of stand-by as if you have a flight booked and you'd like to get on an earlier flight you can "stand-by" Is this what you mean? Then the #100 seems excessive. I'm confused.

Here are USAir's rules:

http://www.usairways.com/customers/travel_policies/standby_procedures/index.htm

It's in addition to the original fare. You have to buy the standby coupon for $100 before you even know if you will get on the alternate flight. If you don't get on, then you keep the coupon to use for up to a year. It's risky. I would make sure there are seats left on the alternate flight before buying the coupon. The airlines are trying to make non-refundable tickets as inflexible as possible. If you want flexibility, then you need to buy the more expensive refundable tickets.

Good news!!! United just dropped the standby fee and American is going to follow..who knows maybe Usair and Delta will drop it too!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter