A few questions before our 1st trip next week

lsumatt72

Mouseketeer
First DLR trip ever next week. A few (likely dumb questions):

1) Can someone explain "stacking" fastpasses on Maxpass like I'm a toddler? I've read some other threads bust still somewhat confused.

2) Not really knowing the layout of Disneyland, what options are there to get to Fantasyland in the mornings? I've read there is a trail near the castle but that has been closed on/off lately and seems to be random. I've also seen that there is a path near the Matterhorn? Best strategy here?

3) We will be using our early morning magic next Thurs, when the park opens at 8. What time should we plan to be at security?

4) Best strategy for maxpass? We will be in the parks 4 days so it's not a necessity to do/see everything all at once.

Thanks!!!!

Hi, I'm also going next week!! Super excited for you.

1&4) This FABULOUS post by Skyegirl1999 explains pretty much everything you need to know! I learned a lot. https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/
-Editing to add that after reading it, she links https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/ for the stacking explanation

2) Best strategy is not yet established because of the randomness. It just seems the best of all strategies is to get there early
3) About 90 minutes before regular opening is usually when you want to get to turnstiles, so I was personally planning for a 6:15-6:20 at security.

Skyegirl1999’s amazing overview made me this confident:
I’m stacking for the First time today with my very first maxpass. We spent the morning pulling early FP for immediate use. At around 1030 I pulled a FP for 8p- 9pm RSR knowing I would be at lunch for at least 90 minutes which would open me for a FP when done. After lunch we pulled a few more immediate FP. Example - 1215 HM. Pulled another HM immediately for 1245. Did splash stand by since it was 5 minutes. Hit HM again and pulled immediate FP for IASW. Used it then got an immediate FP for Splash. Headed back to our hotel and pulled 9pm for GOTG. 90 minutes later I pulled 915pm for Soarin. So now I have 810-910p RSR, 9-10p GOTG and 915-10p Soarin. The main thing is realizing when you pull an evening FP you are locking yourself out of the system for 90 minutes. When you are pulling immediate its 30 minutes or until you use the FP just pulled. It’s really a lot easier once you’ve done it yourself.

I’m stacking for the First time today with my very first maxpass. We spent the morning pulling early FP for immediate use. At around 1030 I pulled a FP for 8p- 9pm RSR knowing I would be at lunch for at least 90 minutes which would open me for a FP when done. After lunch we pulled a few more immediate FP. Example - 1215 HM. Pulled another HM immediately for 1245. Did splash stand by since it was 5 minutes. Hit HM again and pulled immediate FP for IASW. Used it then got an immediate FP for Splash. Headed back to our hotel and pulled 9pm for GOTG. 90 minutes later I pulled 915pm for Soarin. So now I have 810-910p RSR, 9-10p GOTG and 915-10p Soarin. It’s really a lot easier once you’ve done it yourself. Skyegirl1999’s amazing overview made me this confident.
So you can basically pull a new FP every 90 min, regardless?

I’m stacking for the First time today with my very first maxpass. We spent the morning pulling early FP for immediate use. At around 1030 I pulled a FP for 8p- 9pm RSR knowing I would be at lunch for at least 90 minutes which would open me for a FP when done. After lunch we pulled a few more immediate FP. Example - 1215 HM. Pulled another HM immediately for 1245. Did splash stand by since it was 5 minutes. Hit HM again and pulled immediate FP for IASW. Used it then got an immediate FP for Splash. Headed back to our hotel and pulled 9pm for GOTG. 90 minutes later I pulled 915pm for Soarin. So now I have 810-910p RSR, 9-10p GOTG and 915-10p Soarin. The main thing is realizing when you pull an evening FP you are locking yourself out of the system for 90 minutes. When you are pulling immediate its 30 minutes or until you use the FP just pulled. It’s really a lot easier once you’ve done it yourself.
Yay, I am so glad it’s working out for you! It is tricky to explain but makes sense once you get going, I think. I hope the evening goes smoothly!

Look at you! You go, girl! Seriously, this is a great example of how MP can really work for you once you get the hang of it. And you'll get the hang of it as you use it. Read the linked threads, watch the tutorial videos, play with the app before your trip. Then get ready to put MP to use and learn in action. It's not rocket science -- there's no huge pressure on you (it's not like there's a final exam!) -- and it's supposed to be fun!

2) Not really knowing the layout of Disneyland, what options are there to get to Fantasyland in the mornings? I've read there is a trail near the castle but that has been closed on/off lately and seems to be random. I've also seen that there is a path near the Matterhorn? Best strategy here?

4) Best strategy for maxpass? We will be in the parks 4 days so it's not a necessity to do/see everything all at once.

Thanks!!!!

2) The pathway to the right of the castle (this is a major pathway -- you can't miss it) goes by the Matterhorn on the right side of FL -- between TL and FL. This path has been open consistently -- it is wider than the path on the other side. If you take this path, you'll end up by Alice and the Tea Cups. Look at the map on the app or online -- you'll understand when you see it.
4) The "best" strategy for using MP is whichever strategy works best for you -- seriously! Not everyone likes the same rides, in the same order, at the same times, on the same days, etc. Like you said, you don't have to do everything at once -- so give yourself a little time on the first day to get the feel of MP -- you'll learn so much just by using it! The more you use it, the more you'll get the hang of it -- and before you know it, you'll be using it the "best" way for you! If you have any questions as you're using it, just post a question here -- someone is bound to answer it!

So you can basically pull a new FP every 90 min, regardless?
Yes. 90 minutes is the maximum. The minimum is shorter. I recall that being more like 40 minutes. Except when you get the instant FPs then I do not believe there is a delay after those. Those are kind of random so when you see it you can just take it.

The key thing is that you cannot choose when your FP return window is with MP (or with regular paper FP). You have to take whatever the current window is or wait until the window moves later to a more convenient time for you. The only exception is when someone else cancels their FPs. With MP you can get those cancelled for an earlier window.

:wizard:

The minimum is shorter. I recall that being more like 40 minutes. Except when you get the instant FPs then I do not believe there is a delay after those. Those are kind of random so when you see it you can just take it.

The minimum is 30 minutes even if you pull an instant FP. Obviously as soon as you scan in for that instant FP though, you are able to pull your next selection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!