A Gamer Does Disneyland - Solo Halloween Trip - 10/22-10/25/14 (Completed)

Warning: No pictures, but lots of angst. Proceed at your own risk.

And now we come to the only unpleasant part of the trip: my solo dinner at Carthay Circle.

Let me start by saying that I eat alone in restaurants all the time. In many ways, I prefer it. And I eat at plenty of high-end restaurants. I always tip well – at least 20% and sometimes more – because I realize my bill is smaller than a larger party’s. And except for a handful of awkward experiences, I’ve never had a situation like this.

It started well enough with a sweet host. They did seat me at a huge 4 top by myself, when there were smaller tables available and larger groups waiting, which I found awkward. My server quickly took my order, and said she’d check to see if what I wanted had peppers (I can have a reaction to those).

Then she disappeared. For thirty minutes. No drink, no bread, I finally had to wave someone down for water because I was thirsty. She never came back to tell me what happened with my meal or if I should order something else. She did, however, stop by all the other tables.

Not sure what was going on, I stepped away to use the bathroom. Naturally I carried my purse. There was nothing but my water glass and utensils, but I didn’t want to leave my valuables. I was gone for no more than five minutes.

When I came back, they had CLEARED THE TABLE. In all my years dining solo, this has never happened once.

I actually didn’t even know if the table was still mine and there was no one to ask. So I sat there awkwardly until suddenly my salad showed and the guy who took my place setting gave me more water. I asked why he cleared the table when I was in the bathroom, and he very accusatorily told me they thought I left.

I’d ordered food. Why would I just leave?

Anyway, I couldn’t eat the salad because I had no utensils or napkin; they’d been taken. I was becoming more and more upset and asked to see the manager.

He was less than accommodating and suggested I was being rude (I still didn’t have a napkin or bread), so I did what every thinking person would do:

I burst into tears.

He wasn’t ready for that, and switched into a more helpful form. My meal was already in so I was welcome to stay, and he’d handle things from now on, so please…eat my salad.

The next table actually snickered when I pointed out – AGAIN - that I would love to eat my salad, but I still didn’t have a napkin or fork.

After that, the waitress came by and attempted to make small talk, to which I wasn’t very receptive immediately. THEN she told me how upset I made her and how she never gets complaints and how she’s a VERY COMPASSIONATE person. She also blamed her half hour absence on MY allergies, though that had just been a simple "yes/no" check to tell me if what I was considering had peppers. In actuality, she had not done that and just put the order in without giving me a choice, and the chef just left the sauce off, so the ravioli actually wasn't that good (would have chosen something else, if I'd known or been given the choice).

I could tell she was angry, but instead of going into the fact that making me feel unwelcome was a group thing (and it was a little unprofessional for her to make me feel guilty), I just listened as politely as I could, mentally begging for my check.

I’m not good at confrontation – especially when I’m paying for it.

Then I got out my phone and posted my horrible experience to Facebook.

I couldn’t talk so I jotted a note to them that this behavior is NOT okay, that if they had a problem with a single diner they should seat me at a smaller table and not take the lack of tips from a full four-top out on me…

…But that the pear salad was really delicious.

Suddenly there was a shift. The waitress’ concern became more genuine and her conversation less forced. A whole team descended if I appeared to need anything, including the manager. They let me pick any dessert on the menu for my birthday, though I’m pretty sure that’s not typical. I couldn’t decide so I asked the server to choose, and she put real thought into which I would like best.

She chose some kind of s’mores/chocolate turnover dish. It was weirdly tasty, especially the accompanying popcorn flavored ice cream. She insisted on lighting a candle for me.

As I was getting ready to leave she and the manager returned and apologized and asked me to give them another chance later. As a token, they’d brought Happy Birthday Minnie Mouse ears, which was really sweet.

Truthfully I could have just left, and he gave me that option. But I was hungry and tired and just wanted to eat. It was Saturday night, crowded, and right in the middle of dinner rush and I couldn't face trying to find somewhere else to eat. But I let it be known I was unhappy right then, and that gave them the opportunity to try and turn it around.

Unfortunately, this was my last real Disney experience and it really had the possibility of ruining the whole trip. I didn’t let it, but the whole thing was very sad.

Fortunately, some sweet cast members at the Five and Dime helped to turn things around…

There were actually some nice moments, before Carthay Circle sucked the joy out of my evening.

When I showed up for my reservation, my way to the restaurant was blocked by the Pixar Play Parade. I had to wait about 10 minutes for a break in the parade to be allowed to pass. This was actually super colorful and cute, and while I’m not usually one to sit still long enough to watch a parade, I was happy to catch this one.

IMG_1292_zpsfa18957d.jpg

Totally!

IMG_1294_zps1cbe4473.jpg

Dancers…I think they’re supposed to be jellyfish?

IMG_1296_zpsdc077d12.jpg

Heimlich was great. At one point, he said “Does anyone have any candy corn?!”, which cracked me up for some reason.

IMG_1298_zps1278666b.jpg

Loved the way they did Heimlich!

IMG_1302_zps1c594b30.jpg

Even Pixar’s bugs are cute!

Dinner ordeal over, I was tired and a little sad and just wanted to go home. But I needed a few more souvenirs, so I stopped by the Five and Dime on my way out of the park.

My daughter is in college at LSU, and has two roommates with whom she’s extremely close. They were at a football game, and sent me a cute photo where they were all begging me to send them mouse ears.

IMG_1021_zps75615939.jpeg

Mouse ears..please?!

I found a beautiful set of ears covered in black lace with feathers, roses, a net veil and polka dot ears. They were so cute, so I bought one for all three girls and had their names embroidered on them.

IMG_1312_zps1fa8784e.jpg

Fancy mouse ears!

IMG_1314_zps66ad4822.jpg

Sheryl helped me decide between red names or white. Glad we chose red.

While waiting I struck up a conversation with the ladies who were doing the embroidery, including a woman named Sheryl. I must have seemed down, because they asked all about me and fussed over me when they found out I was solo. They asked all about the girls and wanted to see their picture. We arranged to ship the hats right to them, and the ladies even grabbed “I’m celebrating” buttons and wrote the girl’s names on them to go in the package.

They were absolutely thrilled with their ears, and they sent me this picture a week later showing them (and their buttons!) off.

IMG_0603_zps093d9db1.jpg

Happy college students!

I wasn’t in the mood to shop anymore, but I did get this Soccer Minnie pin as a keepsake. (Note to Disney: I’d have probably spent more money in the shops if I’d left the restaurant happier!)

IMG_1313_zps0df6b9ee.jpg

I love Soccer and loved meeting Minnie - perfect souvenir.

Finally, it was time to end my Disneyland adventure and head home to my pup!

Overall, it was a fantastic trip, and I felt like I sampled a lot of what both parks had to offer.

I must say, in general, I liked the atmosphere at Disneyland better, and enjoyed the dark rides there. However, DCA seems to have better “thrill” rides in RSR and Screamin’.

One thing that surprised me is that even though I had four full days, and was alone so could go at a more rapid pace, I didn’t get to do everything I wanted. Not by a long shot. I didn’t see any of the “big” shows: Fantasmic, World of Color, Mad T Party, even the fireworks…

I had a whole list of places I wanted to eat and snacks I wanted to try, but the heat took my appetite away and I only tried a fraction of them.

And while I got to ride every Disneyland ride except It’s a Small World (refurb) and Tea Cups (which I will never do because of my motion sickness), there were a lot of rides and shows at DCA that I missed.

What I Would Do Again

DAS – The Disability Access Services Card was a godsend for me, especially when the parks were busier. My health problems are “invisible”, but I detected no issues and heard no complaints when I used it. And I got to ride a lot more than I would have without it.

Mid-Day Breaks – I ignored this board’s advice on these the first day, but I did find that the heat affected me more than I expected (even at the end of October) and giving myself a chance to rest in the afternoons really allowed me to enjoy the day longer.

Blue Bayou – Sitting by the water was great, but I was shocked at the quality of the food, since I’d heard that the ambiance was the draw here. I’d be happy sitting at other tables if the food was as good.

Taking Chances – I had in my head the rides that would be good or bad, but I decided to try a little of everything. And while I won’t go on Space Mountain again because of my motion sickness issues, I was so glad to have tried it. And I might have bypassed Nemo, Peter Pan and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – all of which I loved – if I had gone with my pre-trip biases.

Goofy's Kitchen - So much fun and I didn't feel out of place at all, even as a solo. The characters were great and I found the brunch buffet really good. Would definitely consider returning.

What I Wouldn’t Do Again

Carthay Circle – Not to beat a dead horse, but this was the worst restaurant service experience I can remember, anywhere. It was really a potentially “trip ruining” situation, and I’m in some ways glad it was the last thing, because it didn’t upset me for the whole trip. For a nice meal, I would choose Blue Bayou over Carthay, or try someplace like Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55.

Pushing Myself – I do think I tried to do too much, and ended up not feeling well on my last day. In particular, I wouldn’t have spent the day at the parks and then tried to go to the Halloween party. I would have taken it easy that day.

Halloween Party – This was okay, but I might not go again. I chose a Friday party (the week before Halloween) instead of a Wednesday one, because I thought I would not know my way around enough to enjoy a party in the dark, (I was right about that.) It felt crowded and people were pushy. That and the fact that I was exhausted and feeling poorly caused me to leave early. If I do it again, it’ll be on a weekday or earlier in the season, and I’ll take it easy that day.

HoJo I probably wouldn't stay here again. It's fine, clean and comfortable. But that walk home from the parks, especially when not 100% seemed really long (and I'm a walker; I work in the city and don't own a car). I was also in the furthest building, so even when I made it to the hotel I had a schlep. At $179-$199 a night, I think I could find hotels closer to the park that are just as nice.

All in all, though, I loved my birthday trip and am already scheming how I can get back! :banana:

54294380000_zps73f6309c.jpg

I'm glad to hear you had fun on your trip, and I am absolutely delighted to hear that some comments in my trip report were helpful to you.

But honestly, I am still shocked to the core about what happened to you at Carthay Circle. That's just.... no. There's no excuse whatsoever for an attitude like that. The whole thing is even more stunning for me because a friend invited me there as a special thank you, and I was that impressed that I even forgot to take pictures while at the restaurant. But then again we were 5 people that night, so your idea about the smaller amount of tips does sound quite possible.

The fact that they were so quick to clear my table, even though I had an active order in, makes me feel like they really just wanted me off the table so they could seat a larger group.

In a way, looking back, I'm kind of glad I stayed because I forced the manager to deal with me instead of giving the table to a larger group, which is clearly what he wanted to do. ;)

And if you ever met me, I'm an incredibly easygoing, confident person. All my friends were shocked by that story because they know how much it would take to get me to that point...

I am sorry about the Carthay Circle meal. That is just so uncalled for. I would have complained to Disneyland guest services. I am easy going as well but had they made me felt so unwelcome when i'm paying How much for there meal just because there in DL. I would have defiantly been one to complain.

How ever I am glad you had a good trip otherwise and loved the pic of the girls askign for the ears. Those ears are so cute

I am sorry about the Carthay Circle meal. That is just so uncalled for. I would have complained to Disneyland guest services. I am easy going as well but had they made me felt so unwelcome when i'm paying How much for there meal just because there in DL. I would have defiantly been one to complain.

How ever I am glad you had a good trip otherwise and loved the pic of the girls askign for the ears. Those ears are so cute

I was so drained when I left that I didn't have it in me to complain that night, but I did send a detailed email when I got home. A Guest Relations CM named Karen called me and apologized profusely and agreed it should never have happened.

And aren't the girls adorbs? Actually, getting that picture and hunting those ears for them actually went a long way toward cheering me up. :)

Thanks!

I just stumbled upon your trip report! LOVED IT!!
My daughter loves soccer-will have to hunt down that soccer Minnie pin on our upcoming trip :) She lives and breathes soccer...lol.
Love those ears too! I got the pink ones similar to those last time we were there.
Thanks for sharing your experiences :)
PS- My friend is the stunt man for Stephen Amell on Arrow ;)

What a great trip report! Your experience at Carthay Circle sounds like it was absolutely horrible. I've read a number of different reviews of Carthay Circle and it appears that when they're off, they are REALLY OFF!

I just stumbled upon your trip report! LOVED IT!!
My daughter loves soccer-will have to hunt down that soccer Minnie pin on our upcoming trip :) She lives and breathes soccer...lol.
Love those ears too! I got the pink ones similar to those last time we were there.
Thanks for sharing your experiences :)
PS- My friend is the stunt man for Stephen Amell on Arrow ;)

Thanks for reading!

Too funny about your friend, since I was just watching a repeat episode, and thinking that I could totally tell when Oliver's stunt double was up. ;)

What a great trip report! Your experience at Carthay Circle sounds like it was absolutely horrible. I've read a number of different reviews of Carthay Circle and it appears that when they're off, they are REALLY OFF!

Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing. I wish I could say I was exaggerating about how terrible it was, but I'm really not...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter